Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player 4K HDR $4,500 - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 776Likes

post #1441 of 2763 Old 11-13-2016, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2225 Post(s)
Liked: 1269
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 2763 Old 11-14-2016, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 43
It's been couple of weeks since the KScape UHD update, and still no news on new studios / content?

Has anyone heard anything regarding upgraded content for the KScape store?

Sony VW5000 | Stewart 156" Ultramat 150
Datasat RS20i | 3 x MC601 | 1 x MC205 | Oppo 105 | Lumagen Radiance Pro
B&W 800 / HTM 2 Diamonds | 4 x Paradigm ADP3 | 2 x Fathom F212 | 4 x ML Vanquish
D-Box HEMC & 2 x SRP 330 platforms | Synology DS3615xs 12x6TB drives
post #1443 of 2763 Old 11-14-2016, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspotorno View Post
It's been couple of weeks since the KScape UHD update, and still no news on new studios / content?

Has anyone heard anything regarding upgraded content for the KScape store?
I've been able to download a TON of HDR versions of movies I already owned the standard UHD version of. Just go through the store and hit the "download" button under those movies to get the new ones going. I'm keeping both versions of each to do A/B comparisons. Still have yet to see any movies with the Atmos tracks AND UHD/HDR though, but I have a feeling we'll be seeing those pop up soon. Really nice we don't have to repurchase anything to get the HDR versions.

Something of interest to note. My HDMI 4x4 matrix apparently does not want to pass through HDR and neither does one of my soundbars (boo!), and my Stratos are apparently smart enough to know this. So when you have a player hooked up to a device that is not HDR capable, it seems to automatically not include those versions on my Covers view. Nice touch that makes the system that much more user friendly. The player I have hooked up to my Yamaha CX-A5100 does show my HDR content.

post #1444 of 2763 Old 11-14-2016, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
I've been able to download a TON of HDR versions of movies I already owned the standard UHD version of. Just go through the store and hit the "download" button under those movies to get the new ones going. I'm keeping both versions of each to do A/B comparisons. Still have yet to see any movies with the Atmos tracks AND UHD/HDR though, but I have a feeling we'll be seeing those pop up soon. Really nice we don't have to repurchase anything to get the HDR versions.

Something of interest to note. My HDMI 4x4 matrix apparently does not want to pass through HDR and neither does one of my soundbars (boo!), and my Stratos are apparently smart enough to know this. So when you have a player hooked up to a device that is not HDR capable, it seems to automatically not include those versions on my Covers view. Nice touch that makes the system that much more user friendly. The player I have hooked up to my Yamaha CX-A5100 does show my HDR content.
I would suggest "a TON" is a bit of an exaggeration - at present there are 32 UHD/HDR titles on Kscape. Of those - there are several that have UHD/HDR/Atmos tracks -

Risen - Confirmed
Concussion - Confirmed
Hancock - Confirmed
Elysium - Confirmed
Pineapple Express
The Smurfs 2 - Confirmed
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Confirmed
Pride & Prejudice & Zombies - Confirmed
The 5th Wave - Confirmed

Agreed with @tspotorno - after the initial burst, It's disappointing that new UHD/HDR content and additional studios haven't materialised.
gwsat likes this.

Last edited by steelman1991; 11-15-2016 at 05:55 AM.
post #1445 of 2763 Old 11-14-2016, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

Warner, fox and universal should be no prob getting in 4k soon.And I think it may only be a 15 upgrade to UHD like SONY although that incentive might not be tantalizing enough for the studios to commit,who knows?

Risen
Concussion
Pride & Prejudice & Zombies
The 5th Wave

these have atmos, CONFIRMED.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 11-15-2016 at 06:35 AM.
post #1446 of 2763 Old 11-15-2016, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
I would suggest "a TON" is a bit of an exaggeration - at present there are 32 UHD/HDR titles on Kscape. Of those - there are several that have UHD/HDR/Atmos tracks -

Risen
Concussion
Hancock
Elysium
Pineapple Express
The Smurfs 2
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
The 5th Wave

Agreed with @tspotorno - after the initial burst, It's disappointing that new UHD/HDR content and additional studios haven't materialised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Warner, fox and universal should be no prob getting in 4k soon.

Risen
Concussion
The 5th Wave

these have atmos, CONFIRMED.

I wonder why K-Store does not list any of those titles in their "Dolby Atmos" section with the HDR logo?
https://store.kaleidescape.com/collection/dolby_atmos

Evolution of My Theater Build

Speakers: Procella P8 (LCR), P6V (2 Front Side), P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling). Subs: Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4). Amps: Crown DCi 8|300 (2), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT. Processors: Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2). Video: JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" Enlightor 4K Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501. Control: iRule.
post #1447 of 2763 Old 11-15-2016, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

I actually was waiting for you to post their last email where they explain certain difficulties at the store. I for one was screaming at Wells Fargo that they were not allowing the charge to the store whenever I pre-ordered. So if you preorder you save 3 bucks per hd film, but very annoyingly all my preorder charges are denied, and then when I go reauthorize it and it goes through it is 3 dollars more. Wells Fargo printed me a report and there were no authorizations denied going back 90 days. Meanwhile I overpaid for 5 denials. Wells says the problem is with Kaleidescape end of the transaction. I hope this is not rigged in some form to get the 3 extra bucks per film, you know how Audi rigged the emissions tests kind of thing.
post #1448 of 2763 Old 11-15-2016, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post

my yamaha ysp 5600 atmos bar would not pass hdr neither.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 11-15-2016 at 03:48 PM.
post #1449 of 2763 Old 11-15-2016, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

post #1450 of 2763 Old 11-15-2016, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
my yamaha ysp atmos bar would not pass hdr neither.
Yup. That's the one! Big disappointment for an otherwise awesome sound bar.

Quote:
The best outboard switch for the strato thusfar is the HDFURY scaler: LINKER.
Good to know!
post #1451 of 2763 Old 11-16-2016, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 2771
Quote:
The best outboard switch for the strato thusfar is the HDFURY scaler: LINKER.
I use a linker set to downscale (1.4) on the Strato HDMI audio out to feed audio to a Krell Foundation 4K: without it I would have issues with the Krell not recognizing HD audio and had to reboot the Strato

with the linker, it solves the issue

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
post #1452 of 2763 Old 11-16-2016, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
LICENSED TO THRILL

truly an hdmi swiss army knife that the integral is not (never passed the strato signal). We used it at CEDIA as a switcher for the powerpoint from Alcons and the Strato.
post #1453 of 2763 Old 11-16-2016, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
I actually was waiting for you to post their last email where they explain certain difficulties at the store. I for one was screaming at Wells Fargo that they were not allowing the charge to the store whenever I pre-ordered. So if you preorder you save 3 bucks per hd film, but very annoyingly all my preorder charges are denied, and then when I go reauthorize it and it goes through it is 3 dollars more. Wells Fargo printed me a report and there were no authorizations denied going back 90 days. Meanwhile I overpaid for 5 denials. Wells says the problem is with Kaleidescape end of the transaction. I hope this is not rigged in some form to get the 3 extra bucks per film, you know how Audi rigged the emissions tests kind of thing.

Not at all rigged, and not saying it's not a store issue, but could still be Wells. PM me your registered name / email used at the Store and I'll get you credit for a download.

Jim
CINERAMAX likes this.
post #1454 of 2763 Old 11-16-2016, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 140
There will likely be a better explanation of why the Store downloads are sometimes priced higher than the streamers and physical disc retailers posted to the K Owner's Forum at some point in the next few days. If not posted here as well, I'll copy it over when I receive it.

Jim
CINERAMAX, gwsat and Aareses like this.
post #1455 of 2763 Old 11-18-2016, 01:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's the post from Kaleidescape Owners Forum regarding price changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKobb View Post
Hello all,

As you’ve noticed, we have made some pricing adjustments. Generally speaking, most titles have gotten two or three dollars more expensive than they were. Disc-to-Digital purchases have also gone up by a similar amount.

Why?

To be blunt, we were losing money on nearly every download with the previous pricing structure. The more titles we sold, the more we lost. That was obviously not sustainable. These pricing changes allow us to cover the costs of delivering these movies. Here’s a bit more detail on where these costs come from.

We are delivering movies at higher quality than any other digital delivery platform – disc-equivalent quality or higher – with the convenience of Internet download. It’s expensive to deliver movies at this level of quality, with the features we provide. The bandwidth and storage cost for each download of a Blu-ray quality or 4K Ultra HD movie is measured in dollars, not cents.

Every single title in the Movie Store has been processed by Kaleidescape, using a proprietary process. We don’t just sell the same bits as other retailers. To cite a recent example, we are now downloading 4K Ultra HD and 4K HDR movies with Dolby Atmos soundtracks based on the lossless Dolby TrueHD core. We worked with the content owners to develop the unique processes to make them available to you. Nobody else offers this. Indeed, there are 4K titles with Atmos in the Movie Store that are not available from any other source. And the titles available today are just the beginning.

On top of the audio and video quality, we deliver added features, like scenes, songs, movie-start bookmarks, aspect ratio information, and lighting triggers. These are the user experience features that make the difference between “home video” and “home cinema,” and provide lasting enjoyment of your movie library that goes above and beyond the simple one-time experience of watching the movie. Delivering these features requires a dedicated staff of talented people who exercise considerable editorial discretion. In sum, Kaleidescape is delivering a unique premium product that offers many benefits, and doing so costs money.

I hope this helps to explain why we’ve made this pricing adjustment.

—Mike
post #1456 of 2763 Old 11-18-2016, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 5
[QUOTE=steelman1991;48265505]Here's the post from Kaleidescape Owners Forum regarding price changes.[/QUOTE
If that's what it takes so be it. Don't want you going down again.
CINERAMAX likes this.
post #1457 of 2763 Old 11-18-2016, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My M700 Disc Vault is now connected to the system. In the Movie store i can see for an example when i choose the Movie Cars that i already have this on BD but the price is still 26 dollars. What is the Point today to put al of your BD in the M700? I thought you could but the Movies cheaper since you cant play them yet in your system
post #1458 of 2763 Old 11-18-2016, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micke_ View Post
My M700 Disc Vault is now connected to the system. In the Movie store i can see for an example when i choose the Movie Cars that i already have this on BD but the price is still 26 dollars. What is the Point today to put al of your BD in the M700? I thought you could but the Movies cheaper since you cant play them yet in your system
Not all titles have the digital rights that you have catalogued through your disc server. The real advantage is the system was architected to play those disks through your Strato. This is a feature that works great from an Alto, but not the Strato yet. This is a feature that they have deferred until next year. You can currently only play DVDs from the Strato. They also need the full integration between the Strato and Disk Server to be completed prior to having integration between Premier and Encore systems. Given they want to likely sell more Stratos to Premier customers, seems they will get this integration completed at some point. It is in their best interest to do so.... SJ
post #1459 of 2763 Old 11-18-2016, 06:08 AM
LJG
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quoting directly from Kscape response in Kscape forum "We are delivering movies at higher quality than any other digital delivery platform – disc-equivalent quality or higher –"

I am just wondering how this would be possible? Disc equivalent I understand, higher than disc equivalent I don't. How would this be possible?
post #1460 of 2763 Old 11-18-2016, 06:17 AM

do you know any titles that has this rights so you can test?All my DVD is in a big box, dont know if i want them in my 4k system, it will probably dont look so good:-)
post #1461 of 2763 Old 11-18-2016, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micke_ View Post
do you know any titles that has this rights so you can test?All my DVD is in a big box, dont know if i want them in my 4k system, it will probably dont look so good:-)
From the Kaleidescape Store, go to "Manage", then "Digital Offers
post #1462 of 2763 Old 11-18-2016, 07:34 AM

there ar not matching titles
post #1463 of 2763 Old 11-18-2016, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
Quoting directly from Kscape response in Kscape forum "We are delivering movies at higher quality than any other digital delivery platform – disc-equivalent quality or higher –"

I am just wondering how this would be possible? Disc equivalent I understand, higher than disc equivalent I don't. How would this be possible?
I have seen a few cases where movies that are only available in DVD disc are available in HD with the Kaleidescape Movie Store and a few cases where movies that are only available in Blu-Ray disc are available in 4K with the Kaleidescape Movie Store.
post #1464 of 2763 Old 11-18-2016, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

Kscape is not disc size constrained.

Maybe for a movie the disc 💿 can't fit 4k and HDR and an Atmos soundtrack and the Kscape file can.

I don't know any examples and there are examples here of soundtracks of lower quality in the 1080 space.

Also a valid observation earlier about multi language soundtracks.
post #1465 of 2763 Old 11-18-2016, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked: 3924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big BBB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
Here's the post from Kaleidescape Owners Forum regarding price changes.
If that's what it takes so be it. Don't want you going down again.
Yeah, we all have a vested in Kscape's survival. It the price increases insure that Kscape will be around for the foreseeable future and lead to more and better content at the movie store, it seems to me that we are better off.
ARROW-AV likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #1466 of 2763 Old 11-18-2016, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Has Kaleidescape historically offered "Black Friday" or "Cyber Monday" type deals? Guessing they won't this year based on recent events and communications from K.

Evolution of My Theater Build

Speakers: Procella P8 (LCR), P6V (2 Front Side), P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling). Subs: Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4). Amps: Crown DCi 8|300 (2), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT. Processors: Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2). Video: JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" Enlightor 4K Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501. Control: iRule.
post #1467 of 2763 Old 11-19-2016, 04:24 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
Quote:
Quoting directly from Kscape response in Kscape forum "We are delivering movies at higher quality than any other digital delivery platform – disc-equivalent quality or higher –" I am just wondering how this would be possible? Disc equivalent I understand, higher than disc equivalent I don't. How would this be possible?
Simple. Streaming capabilities have long since surpassed that of Blu-Ray discs, both standard Blu-Rays and even the shiny new 4K UHD HDR Blu-Rays; and there are far more aspects regarding both video and audio than the average person realizes wherein both can be better in more ways than one as compared with the limits of what the disc format is able to deliver at the present time... Some but by no means all examples include:

Less compressed / higher bit rate video track, where even if all other parameters are the same, including image resolution, this alone would yield an improvement in video playback image quality. I think many people are not aware that resolution, color gamut etc. are not the whole picture (excuse the pun). For example, with identical source/master, one HD 1080p video with bitrate of 50,000 kbps would typically yield significantly superior video performance than an equivalent HD 1080p video at only 1,000 kbps, where both videos are HD 1080p. The same applies to native 4K UHD and HDR. So you can have two videos of the same thing that are both Native 4K UHD HDR where one performs much better than the other due to the extent and/or how well done is whatever compression etc...

● The same applies with respect to the audio track

● 12-bit and/or 10-bit color versus 8-bit color

Native 4:2:2 color sub-sampling versus 4:2:0

High Frame Rate (HFR) 60 frames per second (fps) versus 24 fps

To name a few

Take PRIMA CINEMA 4K for example where you will be looking at master quality native 4K UHD HDR HFR 60fps 12-bit 4:2:2 color video and master quality Dolby Atmos audio... Last time I checked you couldn't get that on Blu-Ray Disc .

IMO Kaleidescape's future is somewhat reliant upon it offering something more than just being more convenient, it must, hopefully does and will offer more in the way of performance quality as compared directly with disc based equivalents at the time
JFR0317 and telem like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 11-19-2016 at 08:01 AM.
post #1468 of 2763 Old 11-19-2016, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2530 Post(s)
Liked: 1671
Slightly OT: I am considering (re) buying a Strato but I will need to expand my 4K compliant inputs with an HDMI input switch. Anyone using such a product and can make recommendations?

Our Theater

"I have wondered at times about what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress." - Ronald Reagan

Ephesians 4:29
post #1469 of 2763 Old 11-23-2016, 09:10 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
Can someone please kindly confirm what is the typical VIDEO BITRATE of 4K UHD video content via the Strato 4K? I understand that it supports up to 100 Mbit/s but I would like to know what is the average bitrate and/or the range, as part of my drawing a direct comparison of what is it's video performance as compared with Blu-Ray... For example, Blu-Ray is up to 40 Mbit/s but the range is 8 - 39 Mbit/s with that majority being 20-30 Mbit/s. Thanks in advance.
post #1470 of 2763 Old 11-23-2016, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Slightly OT: I am considering (re) buying a Strato but I will need to expand my 4K compliant inputs with an HDMI input switch. Anyone using such a product and can make recommendations?
Expensive, but I'm using a Lumagen Radiance Pro.

Lots of people here use it, they have excellent support and regular updates.

Sony VW5000 | Stewart 156" Ultramat 150
Datasat RS20i | 3 x MC601 | 1 x MC205 | Oppo 105 | Lumagen Radiance Pro
B&W 800 / HTM 2 Diamonds | 4 x Paradigm ADP3 | 2 x Fathom F212 | 4 x ML Vanquish
D-Box HEMC & 2 x SRP 330 platforms | Synology DS3615xs 12x6TB drives
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page