Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player 4K HDR $4,500 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 592Likes

post #1 of 2082 Old 11-07-2015, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter
THE MAESTRO OF IMMERSION

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Cool Kaleidescape Strato Movie Player 4K HDR $4,500

K05090006
Strato 4K Ultra HD Movie Player 6
TB 4,495.00

PDF download.

The award-winning Kaleidescape Strato is the world's first and only 4K Ultra HD high-dynamic-range movie player. Strato plays movies in true 4K Ultra HD at up to 60 frames per second, without startup delays, buffering messages, or quality drops that are so common with streaming services. Strato supports lossless multichannel audio including Dolby Atmos, and bit-stream pass-through of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. The Strato onscreen user interface is also displayed in 4K Ultra HD, at 60 frames per second, resulting in fluid animation and a stunning visual impact.

Strato can be purchased with or without an internal 6 TB hard drive that can store up to 100 4K Ultra HD movies, 150 Blu-ray quality movies, or 900 DVD quality movies. Strato equipped with internal movie storage can be used standalone or in a system with other Encore components. Strato without internal storage plays movies from any movie server or disc server in its Encore system.

PRETERNATURAL IMMERSOPHILE rAVe Best ATMOS DEMO CEDIA 2016. HOARDS AWARDS, PROPS, 1ST ART, RECORDS & PERFORMANCE 24-48 CH. MIDI-PLF'S WW. - CUSTODIAN IMMERSIVE CINEMAS @ SMPTE Combat Channel Insufficiency-Altitude 48! IMMERSION 2025 RGB HDR-SUPERKONTRAST for CEDIA? Content Dependent Chameleonic behaviour: Accuracy LITMUS TEST of precision monitors. Alcons, D'agostino w Alexas do it, this is the first projector to do it. The BBC LS5/8 of RGB projection ? Most Envied Installation In Europe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2082 Old 11-07-2015, 02:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
2x HDMI out.....perfect!!!
post #3 of 2082 Old 11-07-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
K05090006
Strato 4K Ultra HD Movie Player 6
TB 4,495.00

PDF download.

The award-winning Kaleidescape Strato is the world's first and only 4K Ultra HD high-dynamic-range movie player. Strato plays movies in true 4K Ultra HD at up to 60 frames per second, without startup delays, buffering messages, or quality drops that are so common with streaming services. Strato supports lossless multichannel audio including Dolby Atmos, and bit-stream pass-through of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. The Strato onscreen user interface is also displayed in 4K Ultra HD, at 60 frames per second, resulting in fluid animation and a stunning visual impact.

Strato can be purchased with or without an internal 6 TB hard drive that can store up to 100 4K Ultra HD movies, 150 Blu-ray quality movies, or 900 DVD quality movies. Strato equipped with internal movie storage can be used standalone or in a system with other Encore components. Strato without internal storage plays movies from any movie server or disc server in its Encore system.
what type of files will they serve up? iso's? miv's

if their store continues to grow i would be tempted to bite. this might actually get me to finally rip all my media over. the price point isn't horrible.

the 6 TB storage would prob be enough for me. i don't have thousands of movies.

jim

post #4 of 2082 Old 11-07-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 1765
Quote:
Strato can be purchased with or without an internal 6 TB hard drive
Anybody know the price difference? Is the $4.5k with the drive?

Thanks,
Darin
post #5 of 2082 Old 11-07-2015, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I don't think you can import your own files. If you own the dvd or blu-ray copy of a film, you can buy the download version at discounted rate. You can upgrade your dvd copies to bluray at a higher cost. I believe you can import vudu and hd download codes at no additional cost. Strato has no dvd ripping function, I believe only one had it. I don't think you can use your own server eithet for additional storage. You will have to buy their servers for additional storage or you can buy multiple stratos. You can purchase more movies than the available storage, they will just wait at the cloud until you make room for them(deleting some movies)
post #6 of 2082 Old 11-08-2015, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter
THE MAESTRO OF IMMERSION

Hi Darin I think it is 3,500. Crashed my 4k pc again so will confirm later. But pretty sure.

That makes 3 hdr 4k sources, the panasonic UHD BD, comcast x-1 rackmount, and the K Strato.

PRETERNATURAL IMMERSOPHILE rAVe Best ATMOS DEMO CEDIA 2016. HOARDS AWARDS, PROPS, 1ST ART, RECORDS & PERFORMANCE 24-48 CH. MIDI-PLF'S WW. - CUSTODIAN IMMERSIVE CINEMAS @ SMPTE Combat Channel Insufficiency-Altitude 48! IMMERSION 2025 RGB HDR-SUPERKONTRAST for CEDIA? Content Dependent Chameleonic behaviour: Accuracy LITMUS TEST of precision monitors. Alcons, D'agostino w Alexas do it, this is the first projector to do it. The BBC LS5/8 of RGB projection ? Most Envied Installation In Europe.
post #7 of 2082 Old 11-08-2015, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would be fine with paying a bit for a digital copy if I already own the bluray. The bluray doesn't have to be a digital copy version though right?

Also since they support ultra violet does anyone know if I already activated the iTunes version of a digital download for a disk can u also use the untraviolet version then?

I see I the first post u can stream from a server so does that mean then u can use ur own files? Or they just taking about one of their servers with their media on it?

Also if u have two units can u play stored constant from one to the other?

Also if u buy from their store you are physically downloading it to ur unit not streaming it right? Or can u stream too?

Thanks

Jim
post #8 of 2082 Old 11-08-2015, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
THE MAESTRO OF IMMERSION

Cool Complete Kaleidescape Line 2016

Here you go Darin and Jim.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K-prices.PNG
Views:	11250
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1045945  

post #9 of 2082 Old 11-08-2015, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 45
You can't use your own blu-ray or dvd rips. Your only options are dvd or blu-ray copies bought from their store. Older players like kscape one can rip dvd movies but newer players dropped this feature. The BD drive strictly for playback only.

Ultravioley and vudu purchases can imported at no additional cost.

You can't use your own network attached storage. You can't use your own external hard drive. You have to buy their servers for additional storage.

You can share libraries if you have more than one strato. Movies need to be %100 downloaded in order to view. No streamings.
post #10 of 2082 Old 11-08-2015, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
THE MAESTRO OF IMMERSION

You can use your own blurays or for that matter if the original is scratched an exact replica of it. You must store these originals on the vault.

So for starters Strato with hardisk Plus vault gives you a nice system with great PQ. Then add another strato for another zone and your capacity is up to 8 tera totaL, The following xmas you can add a 1 u server with 4 4 teras so on so forth.

post #11 of 2082 Old 11-08-2015, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can use your own blurays or for that matter if the original is scratched an exact replica of it. You must store these originals on the vault.

So for starters Strato with hardisk Plus vault gives you a nice system with great PQ. Then add another strato for another zone and your capacity is up to 8 tera totaL, The following xmas you can add a 1 u server with 4 4 teras so on so forth.

I know what the vault is. It's a multi disk changer. Right.

What do u mean if the original is scratched an exact replica of it?

So I understand if the blurry I own had a digital copy I can use it via thier store, but what if I have a disk that doesn't have a digital copy? Can I purchase it from thier store for a decreased price if I prove I own it?

Sorry if I'm being dumb. I just trying to totally understand it.

Jim
post #12 of 2082 Old 11-08-2015, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
THE MAESTRO OF IMMERSION

The vault is not a changer except when bulk loading movies you own. The movies are then loaded into the K server. If you have a Nas but say the original disk is scratched, you could burn an exact copy and then load it into the server.

post #13 of 2082 Old 11-09-2015, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The vault is not a changer except when bulk loading movies you own. The movies are then loaded into the K server. If you have a Nas but say the original disk is scratched, you could burn an exact copy and then load it into the server.
To load anything to the server u need to have the vault though? No other way to get a digital copy from them if u have the physical disk?
post #14 of 2082 Old 11-09-2015, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
THE MAESTRO OF IMMERSION

It needs to sit in the Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
To load anything to the server u need to have the vault though? No other way to get a digital copy from them if u have the physical disk?

Yes no other way. It plays from the server but the physical disk must be sitting inside the DV-700 vault for it to play.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 11-09-2015 at 09:52 AM.
post #15 of 2082 Old 11-09-2015, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok thanks. Totally got it now. So u pretty much need a vault then if u want to use ur physical collection. Or a disk with an ultraviolet version on it.
post #16 of 2082 Old 11-09-2015, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked: 1790
We have the players now, but "where" are the discs? I'm sure they are on their way, but when?

So really it's more like $8000 to get 4K if you don't have any Kaleidescape stuff.

99% of people are just using a $50-100 Walmart bluray player and putting the discs in as-needed.
That's basically what I do, except I have an Oppo 105, but only because I like high-quality 2-channel music and did not like the SQ I was getting from Rotel and Emotiva pre-pros and the consumer AVR's. I haven't got around to building a media server yet, I'm mostly-music so...

Once all the big players like Sony and LG etc start making 4K players for <$1500 only then might UHD have a chance at thriving.
The 99% just won't buy into UHD-BD (at all) until the price goes below $300-500, then you'll see the discs everywhere, just like the Bluray rollout back in the day.
post #17 of 2082 Old 11-09-2015, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked: 1790
Quote:
That makes 3 hdr 4k sources, the panasonic UHD BD, comcast x-1 rackmount, and the K Strato.
Youtube has had 8K and 4K3D video support for some time now.

Here is a 2D 8K video for example:

Here is a 3D 4K video for example:

Haven't found any 8K 3D videos yet, but it would be easy enough to make (if you have the video camera to do it I suppose).

Too bad it's only 2-ch sound though.
post #18 of 2082 Old 11-09-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Here you go Darin and Jim.

Subscribed. Thanks for posting this information. I'm just starting, having just purchased a 4TB Alto but plan on expanding in the future.

Nabs17
post #19 of 2082 Old 11-09-2015, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
Ok thanks. Totally got it now. So u pretty much need a vault then if u want to use ur physical collection. Or a disk with an ultraviolet version on it.
Or a VUDU account and a computer with a BD drive or a USB BD drive.

And a UV account. And a flixster account for good measure.

Now you can disc to digital your bluray for $2 a disc and $5 a disc for DVD into BD quality. On VUDU do 10 and the price is halved so $1 a disc.

VUDU May misidentified some. Try those in flixster. No discount but you get your digital copy.

The purchases feed into your UV account and then will be ready for download into kalidescape.

I imagine kscape will have a upgrade path for UV/HD to UV/UHD as will VUDU in time but I imagine more a priority to kscape.

So $150 later and your BD discs can go in a box just watch out for download caps.
nathan_h likes this.
post #20 of 2082 Old 11-14-2015, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 120
“Now we have an opportunity with these products, which are very tightly integrated with the Kaleidescape movie store, and the movie store is the only one in the world that actually serves the most pristine quality bit-for-bit movies with electronic delivery,” Cheena Srinivasan, Kaleidescape CEO (pictured at top), told HD Guru.

Bold emphasis mine. Is K claiming their downloads bit for bit identical to the (UHD) Bluray versions, or are they just saying their quality is better than everyone else that's doing electronic delivery?

post #21 of 2082 Old 11-14-2015, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
THE MAESTRO OF IMMERSION

Ive heard the bit by bit boast thrown around a bit.

post #22 of 2082 Old 11-15-2015, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Dirty little secret about Disney titles and Kaleidescape: If you want to be able to play Disney titles when they come out on iTunes (usually in advance of the physical media release), then you are forced to sign an agreement that forces you to use downloads from that point on. So when my wife buys Disney titles, I have to give her the sad news that we cannot import into our Kaleidescape system. And the converse is true too: if you refuse to agree to sticking with downloads exclusively, then no downloads for you!!

B&W CT800 (9.x.x), CI800 (x.x.8), JL x 4 + B&W CT8 SW x 3 (x.7.x). Classé CT-M600 x 17, CT-2300 x 4, Altitude 32, RadiancePro, Insight Laser 4K, Director's choice 160"x80".

Last edited by Unherdable; 11-15-2015 at 08:11 AM.
post #23 of 2082 Old 11-15-2015, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
THE MAESTRO OF IMMERSION

Complement the legacy kaleidescape with disney only downloads with the new system and add a vault to the new system and do your own ripping for the second hdr 4k system. Workaround?

post #24 of 2082 Old 11-16-2015, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Complement the legacy kaleidescape with disney only downloads with the new system and add a vault to the new system and do your own ripping for the second hdr 4k system. Workaround?
I think the only workaround is to let the wife know that she must not buy any more Disney titles on a whim at the checkout line! The agreement Disney makes you sign is quite comprehensive, so as long as the systems are connected on the same network, they could always enforce it. You can still play a Disney disc with the nice Kaleidescape UI if it is in the tray, but not if it is ripped and residing in the vault...

However, it is nice to be able to download the Disney movies before they are released on the silver discs, because otherwise the kids force me to buy it on iTunes as well, which is.... annoying to say the least. I was forced to watch a movie on AppleTV yesterday and noticed on my Altitude GUI that the audio bit rate was under 400k? Yuck!
post #25 of 2082 Old 11-16-2015, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
THE MAESTRO OF IMMERSION

good insight

post #26 of 2082 Old 12-16-2015, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 2501
K has announce an upgrade plan that includes Cinema One owners:

http://www.kaleidescape.com/files/do...s-and-FAQs.pdf

STRATO MOVIE PLAYER
4K Ultra HD and High Dynamic Range

Strato plays high-bitrate 4K Ultra HD movies that are downloaded from the Kaleidescape Movie Store, the only source for Internet-delivered movies in full Blu-ray quality and (soon) in true 4K Ultra HD. Because they are played from a local hard drive, our 4K Ultra HD titles are not degraded by the Internet bandwidth constraints and variations that can produce such disappointing results with “4K” streaming services. Many of the movies we offer feature lossless multichannel audio, including Dolby Atmos. Some of our 4K Ultra HD titles will also be available with high dynamic range (HDR), which makes the video even more vibrant and realistic when played on an HDR display.

Kaleidescape Movie Store

Kaleidescape has licensed the finest 4K Ultra HD movies from major motion picture studios and independent filmmakers. Approximately one hundred 4K Ultra HD movies will be available in the Movie Store when Strato is released, including titles from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and The Orchard, and more titles will be added soon thereafter. These titles join the thousands of Blu-ray quality movies and television seasons already in the Movie Store. Strato up-scales those Blu-ray quality titles to look fantastic on your 4K display.

Encore Product Family

Strato is the centerpiece of our new Encore product family. In addition to Strato, the Encore family includes the new Kaleidescape Terra movie server and two new models of the previously announced Kaleidescape Alto movie player, which was designed for playing Blu-ray quality movies.
More information about the Encore product family can be found here.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system

Last edited by markrubin; 12-16-2015 at 10:05 AM.
post #27 of 2082 Old 12-17-2015, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked: 1527
So here's a question, say I get a Strato today with a 6TB drive. What happens in a year or two when that's filled, and K has 8, or 10TB drives available? Is there a process to migrate that? Without redownloading everything?
post #28 of 2082 Old 12-17-2015, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
So here's a question, say I get a Strato today with a 6TB drive. What happens in a year or two when that's filled, and K has 8, or 10TB drives available? Is there a process to migrate that? Without redownloading everything?
You can get one of the new servers or buy another player for another room.
post #29 of 2082 Old 12-17-2015, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked: 1527
I know I can do that, but the question is, is there any way to upgrade, in place, the storage for these new single drive, non-redundant offerings.
robdman likes this.
post #30 of 2082 Old 12-18-2015, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter
THE MAESTRO OF IMMERSION

it is possible in the past if you had a 2 tera based server you could upgrade to 3 then 4 etc doing a system clone with an advanced replacement order. I do not see why the procedure would not be extended to the new series.So highly likely.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kaleidescape-Replication-Reference-Guide-for-kOS-6.0.pdf (521.7 KB, 489 views)

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 12-20-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)