$60,000 Dedicated Home Theater Build - Requesting Advice - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 943Likes

post #511 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2172 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
That is great that you narrowed it down and know what you like. I can't comment on what would be a good match sub wise with the Procella.

For JBL, ask about the SCL inwalls. They are new, so I am not sure on the availability. I think John mentioned that they are basically the inwall equivalent of the 708/705. It looks like they are passive, so you might not need the Crown amps.
http://www.jblsynthesis.com/productl...dspeakers.html
Aareses likes this.

Current projector - JVC RS25 and Marantz VP15S1
Future projector - pre-ordered new JVC from AVScience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aareses View Post
Quick update: My wife and I choose the Palliser Mendoza seats. The seats are wide, 106" for a straight row of three and 138" for a straight row of four. In the Procella design Nyal came up with, we would use P5s for surrounds/rears/height. Those speakers are not in-wall, but would be mounted on the walls. They are about 6" deep. A straight row of four in the back would only give us 15" from the side walls. With the side and rear surrounds sticking out another 6", that would put the listeners ear WAY too close to those speakers. We choose a straight row of three for the back.

Nyal and I spoke at length about equipment yesterday. He gave me a lot of options. We discussed and narrowed down choices. Before I go there, I know there will be many different opinions, but the following conclusions were best for me. To briefly summarize a much more detailed conversation, I have discovered I like horns for movies. So yes, I agree with Defcon, Ericglo and all the others that have been saying that. Those compression drivers sound a lot better to me on movies. Like a lot better! Nyal and I discussed JTR and Seaton, but ruled them out because of the size of all the components and lack of timbre matched speakers for all surrounds and height speakers. I have not heard a Pro Audio Technology system yet, but I am told they are in the same class as JBL Synthesis and Procella. There is also a showroom with Pro Audio about a 2 hour round trip from me. So, the top three choices for me to consider right now are Procella, JBL Synthesis and Pro Audio Technology. These were picked because of the performance characteristics, they all have compression drivers, are a smaller form factor, but mostly because I have either heard and liked them or can go hear the one.

Design is as follows:

Modified room dimensions inside the finished space will be about 19'L x 14'W x 8.2'H above floor and 7'H above riser. Riser is around 18". Front upper baffle wall will be 8" deep. We could take it up to 12" deep if we went with JBL. The lower baffle wall (under screen) will be about 24" deep. We decided to push 21" into our second kitchen so we could get better sound for rear row (ears further from speakers) and a rear reclining row. We are going with a Dolby Atmos 9.4.4 system. We will have two rows of three. Each row will have its own dedicated set of surrounds. There will be four subs, one in each corner. Now it comes down to what speaker choice I will make to move forward. I would love to get your opinions on speaker choices.

If I go with JBL Synthesis or Pro Audio, I will likely use their matching subs and processors/amps. If I go with Procella, I will likely NOT pick Procella subs. If I choose box subs, the subs will need to be no taller than 25" and no deeper than 24". I have some flexibility on the length. For electronics, Nyal said the design only calls for 50wpc per each speaker, which includes LCR. He said an AVR will be just fine. For my budget, he believes saving money in this area can be better put to use elsewhere. Despite that, I still want to go with a processor and amps though. I went against his advice one other time and realized he was right. Perhaps this is the same thing? Talking to the contractor, the amps would likely need to be Class D, to try and keep the heat low in a small cabinet within the room that doesn't have much HVAC control. We would only be able to use small fans in the cabinet. The lower heat produced, the better.

Nyal gave me many choices for all of the equipment. I asked him to spec out the room for Procella. He put in P8s for LCR and P5s for the other 10 speakers. He thought there were many good sub choices, but the subs that may fit best are JL Audio Dominion E112 x 4. I am getting recommendations from Pro Audio and JBL for a specced out system from them. I should have JBL today. Pro Audio won't come until next week.

Though I haven't heard them, I think most would agree that a build of this calibre deserves better performance than that of 4 12s. You can get way better for that kind of money ($1900 X 4). At that level, stick with Deep Sea Sound, JTR or Seaton for all your bass needs.
Aareses and toomnymods like this.
post #513 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 104
So P8 x 3 x 2800 = 8400
P5 x 10 x 900 = 9000
E112 x 4 x 1900 = 7600
Rec + Amp ~ $3000?
Sys 1 ~ $28,000.

Which JBL and Pro Audio Tech speakers are in the mix?

B.
Aareses likes this.

post #514 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 1433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Thanks for the link and info, John.

Is just speakers and amp considered Synthesis or do you have to have the other boxes as well?

I am not going to do it, but must admit that I thought for a second about ripping into my walls and installing the new SCLs. If they are as good as the 708/705s, then I will be impressed.
An SDEC and calibration is required for the system to be considered full "Synthesis." I forgot to mention this before, but once a Synthesis system is calibrated it will be certified to exceed both SMTPE and THX specs. Right now what I have is a JBL / Revel system on its way to becoming full Synthesis. Important to note - in order to become fully Synthesis certified all speaker components need to be either JBL or Revel. With non-Harman products there is no reference for performance regarding the speakers, so there is no way to calibrate to their known parameters.

FWIW, we've done several JBL, Revel or combo systems with the idea that they could certainly be "converted" to full Synthesis down the line. For example, in my own system I am currently calibrating using Audyssey. Once the SDEC goes in, Audyssey goes out.

Even as a Synthesis dealer, designing pure JBL or Revel systems without and SDEC is in no way beneath me I'm designing two such systems now.
post #515 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
While Procella and JBL sound different, they are much more similar to each other than all the other demos I have had. They are both what I would consider a good home cinema speaker, which I would enjoy listening to. I don't know yet, but my guess is JBL and Pro Audio Technology will be much more expensive than Procella. I believe the JBL system is being designed with 708s for LCR and 705s for the other 10 speakers. I don't know what the Pro Audio stuff will be.

Of these three systems, has anyone been able to demo and compare between two or three of them? What are opinions? This is the next decision I will be making. Opinions are appreciated!
I don't think anyone has heard all three compared head to head. Certainly JBL and Procella have some real "pro" credibility, with JBL / Revel being used for about 80% of movie mastering / mixing. The list of studios / post houses in Hollywood using JBL systems is extensive (not to mention movie theaters). Personally, I don't think Pro Audio is in the same camp as the other two. Horn / compression drivers are extremely difficult to design properly, and certainly the tweeters in the JBL M2 / 708 / 705 are a major step forward in accuracy / low distortion levels for a compression driver.

Procella I've never actually heard, but I know they have a good reputation. I picked JBL / Revel as our main speaker brands because of the Pro pedigree and hard science behind their designs (no other speaker manufacturer in the world has equivalent R&D facilities at their disposal), plus my experience working in the film post production world. I've mixed eight independent feature films myself (plus composed the music scores) plus worked with several of the major movie studios on behalf of Panamorph to get some changes made to the UHD spec re: support for anamorphic video. Working with the post production facilities was an eye opener in terms of seeing what the pros actually used to master audio and video, and almost all the brands we picked at The Screening Room have some kind of basis in actual film post production.

If you end up with the JBL system using LSR708s and 705s you will have a system almost identical to mine

Good luck!
Aareses likes this.
post #516 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is great that you narrowed it down and know what you like. I can't comment on what would be a good match sub wise with the Procella.

For JBL, ask about the SCL inwalls. They are new, so I am not sure on the availability. I think John mentioned that they are basically the inwall equivalent of the 708/705. It looks like they are passive, so you might not need the Crown amps.
http://www.jblsynthesis.com/productl...dspeakers.html
Yes, the driver complement is roughly the same as the LSR708 / 705 (the tweeter is identical). I believe the SCLs are shipping in July. I don't think they will require the Crown / Synthesis amps.
post #517 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 328
These subs look perfect for your use: http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...18-f18-7829728

One powered Seaton F18 sub will power 3 slaves, so four 18" subs, one for each corner. Size 23.5" x 23.5" x 18"D. Total cost, delivered: $5400.00.
Jag Gill, Aareses and toomnymods like this.
post #518 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
So P8 x 3 x 2800 = 8400
P5 x 10 x 900 = 9000
E112 x 4 x 1900 = 7600
Rec + Amp ~ $3000?
Sys 1 ~ $28,000.

Which JBL and Pro Audio Tech speakers are in the mix?

B.
Procella
What you listed above is accurate for retail prices on those items. If I go Procella, I would say probably add more to the Rec + Amp/Proc + Amp category. Against Nyal's advice, I am leaning more toward a processor and separates, say maybe $7,000 for that category. Roughly, the Procella system with subs, a processor and amps after discounts would be around $29,000.

JBL
The JBL Dealer said they are checking with Harman on the equipment design. They will confirm the proper design, but a junior associate in the firm wanted to get me started with an idea on price for this all JBL Synthesis system:
LSR708i x 3 (LCR)
LSR705i x 6 (Side and Rear Surrounds)
SCS8 x 4 (Height)
LS120p x 4 (Subs)
SDA 8300 x 2 (300wpc x 16 channels)
SDEC-4500P (Room Correction/Speaker Management, etc.)
SDA4500XLRIC (Interconnect kit)
Anthem AVM60 (Processor)

With the preliminary prices I received, all of that above is about $33,500 after discounts.

He did say the LS120s are discontinued subs, but thought they would work well for my application. To me, the subs look weak, but he said they would be way more expensive for other models. The SCL's look very intriguing, but on the other hand I was hoping to have a theater up and running in 60 days. Not sure that is possible, but it is a goal. I don't know what Harman will recommend, but this at least gives me an idea. I think it will just increase due to possible change of subs and height speakers.

Pro Audio Technology
This is the one system I haven't heard, which would seemingly be a good fit for my room. I am trying to find a place to demo it. The dealer is in the process of changing their main showroom to Pro Audio, so doesn't have a system in place yet. It will be 30-45 days until a Pro Audio system is installed in a clients home, who has about the same budget as I do.

Pro Audio will also be making recommendations on the system, but I won't have them until next week. I know many dealers talk very highly about their gear, but this particular dealer is very convincing about how good the system is. I'm also being told that many have been switching from JBL Synthesis to Pro Audio. I listen to a lot of bull, but this guy didn't strike me as the BS type. I know their systems are fairly new.

Has anyone here had experience with Pro Audio Technology systems?
post #519 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gworrel View Post
These subs look perfect for your use: http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...18-f18-7829728

One powered Seaton F18 sub will power 3 slaves, so four 18" subs, one for each corner. Size 23.5" x 23.5" x 18"D. Total cost, delivered: $5400.00.
Now that may be an option! That or have BeastAudio drive to my house with his monster subs.
post #520 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can't remember if I listened to Pro Audio at Cedia or not. I don't believe I did. You might want to PM Kris Deering. I think he went in and listened. IIRC I don't remember anyone saying it was a must hear demo. In '14, their were a couple of demos that were must hear like JBL, Wisdom, and a couple of the Atmos demos. Last year, it was JBL, Barco and maybe one or two others. If Pro Audio's demo or system was that good, then trust me it would have been talked about.

I have a hard time believing people are pulling JBLs in favor of Pro Audio. They may be upgrading their systems and choosing Pro Audio, but not ripping out new JBL for Pro Audio.

post #521 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1666 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Peter has installed them. I don't thik he was particularly fond of them. He can comment. I considered them and priced out an entire system... they sell to many Hollywood types (a negative in my opinion) but if I recall, you have to buy their amps and they have their own EQ built in - so extra A/D & D/A conversions (I may be wrong on that). For compression drivers... I'd go Seaton!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #522 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 104
For anyone curious to see the breakdown:

LSR708i x 3 x 1500 = 4500
LSR705i x 6 x 687.50 = 4125
SCS8 x 4 x 475 = 1900
LS120p x 4 x 1100? = 4400?
SDA8300 x 2 x 5500 = 11000
SDEC4500P x 1 x 7000 = 7000
SDA4500XLRIC x 1 x 1500 = 1500
Anthem AVM60 x 1 x 3000 = 3000

System 2 ~ $37,500

Seems strange that you are willing to consider speakers that you haven't actually heard (re: JBL). Will be interested to hear what you think of the Pro Audio Tech speakers in comparison to what you've heard already.

B.
post #523 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by gworrel View Post

Doesn't quite work because the rear subs need to be delayed, so would need 2 x F18+ and 2 x F18, but a good idea.

Want to learn about home theater design and acoustics? Read our blog.
Company: Acoustic Frontiers - design and creation of high performance home theaters for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Certifications: HAA Level I & II, THX Video Level I & II, CEDIA EST I & II.
AVS Projects: Too many to show in my signature - see here for the master list.
post #524 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Now that may be an option! That or have BeastAudio drive to my house with his monster subs.
If you go with JBL, the SDEC sends a separate, optimized signals to each sub. 4 subs get fed 4 independent signals to help smooth out room modes, then global EQ is applied. Or at least that is my understanding. So master/slave won't work since that uses 1 signal for both master and all slaves sub. You could still use Seaton subs, but you would have to buy all masters.

Other thing worth noting on the SDEC is it isn't designed for end users, where as everything else Beast listed can be tweaked by the end user. If you plan to pay someone to do the calibration anyway then it's not a big deal. But if you enjoy playing with the gear, trying new settings, experimenting, etc... then the closed nature of the SDEC / Arcos can be a downside.

post #525 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Though I haven't heard them, I think most would agree that a build of this calibre deserves better performance than that of 4 12s. You can get way better for that kind of money ($1900 X 4). At that level, stick with Deep Sea Sound, JTR or Seaton for all your bass needs.
Rather than the usual knee jerk reaction or rules of thumb I prefer to actually design and engineer out the room based on it's requirements.
  • Listening distance is 12'.
  • There are four subs.
  • The subs are corner loaded.
  • The subwoofers are arranged in a source-to-sink setup.
  • You have room gain. I think SVS's figures are generally good, which is ~6dB/octave under 40Hz.

Being conservative, you'd look at the output of just two subs, as the other two are there for room mode cancellation. Doing the math, you need 112dB peak output per sub (1m free space / 2m ground plane) or 109dB RMS to hit 115dB peaks.

The E112s are capable of that reference in this situation down to about 25Hz or so, and slightly deficient below that. However most do not listen at reference, more like -6dB.

With all that said, I did mention a few alternatives, one being going ported (still 12"), which would provide sufficient output below 30Hz to hit reference. Of course anything with more output, sub wise, will also do the job presuming it fits in the room.

Want to learn about home theater design and acoustics? Read our blog.
Company: Acoustic Frontiers - design and creation of high performance home theaters for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
Certifications: HAA Level I & II, THX Video Level I & II, CEDIA EST I & II.
AVS Projects: Too many to show in my signature - see here for the master list.
post #526 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
I considered them and priced out an entire system... they sell to many Hollywood types (a negative in my opinion)
All the people the Pro Audio dealer mentioned that were pulling out JBL systems in favor of Pro Audio, were all Hollywood types. He named them, but I don't remember all the names. Unfortunately, I don't have Hollywood kind of money anyway.
post #527 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
For anyone curious to see the breakdown:

LSR708i x 3 x 1500 = 4500
LSR705i x 6 x 687.50 = 4125
SCS8 x 4 x 475 = 1900
LS120p x 4 x 1100? = 4400?
SDA8300 x 2 x 5500 = 11000
SDEC4500P x 1 x 7000 = 7000
SDA4500XLRIC x 1 x 1500 = 1500
Anthem AVM60 x 1 x 3000 = 3000

System 2 ~ $37,500

Seems strange that you are willing to consider speakers that you haven't actually heard (re: JBL). Will be interested to hear what you think of the Pro Audio Tech speakers in comparison to what you've heard already.

B.
Thanks for the retail pricing on these items, Brian! To be clear, I am not willing to buy something without listening to it. While I haven't listened to Pro Audio, I have heard good things about it. Nyal said it would be one of the better fits for my theater. I know the dealer, who will have a system ready to listen to in 30-45 days. He talks it up huge. He's very passionate about it and he used to work with JBL Synthesis as his go-to system. I don't know if Pro Audio is that good or not, but I am willing to listen to it. It is quite possible Procella and JBL will be a better fit though. The big downside right now is, my goal was to be in my theater in 60 days. If I can't even demo a Pro Audio system soon, then by virtue of default, it may be excluded. I said that to the dealer and he said it would be a mistake to not wait. These are the reasons I wanted to post about it here and get any opinions about Pro Audio Technology and of course JBL Synthesis and Procella.
post #528 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post
Doesn't quite work because the rear subs need to be delayed, so would need 2 x F18+ and 2 x F18, but a good idea.
What about 4 F18s and a Minidsp 2x4 with a 4 channel amplifier? Would this room benefit from separate EQ to each sub? I use a Minidsp with 4 sub channels but my room is not symmetrical and my subs are not identical.
post #529 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked: 622
The cost for AVR+amp for Procella is listed as 3K, that seems too low since components aren't listed, and does it include any room correction?

Between the 2 options listed for JBL/Procella, what sticks out to me is that JBL includes SDEC/ARCOS room correction and EQ which IMO is a going to make a huge difference.

With this kind of budget you could easily roll your own custom solution using state of the art processors like a Trinnov or Datasat. But based on the reputation and pedigree, I think it will be hard to beat a fully optimized and integrated Synthesis setup.

Subs are the one are where you can typically ignore the other components and go with something else, i.e. they don't need to be matched, but bass EQ is probably one of the most important and trickiest (there are thousands of pages on using REW) parts to get right, it seems Synthesis does this better than anyone else (based on the Toole link) and that's a big plus.
Aareses likes this.
post #530 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked: 622
btw, searching for 'pro audio' speakers often leads to speakers used for pro audio, not the brand, and its ironic because there's a huge thread on AVS about how some really cheap pro speakers sound as good for HT as setups costing many many times more
post #531 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyal Mellor View Post
Rather than the usual knee jerk reaction or rules of thumb I prefer to actually design and engineer out the room based on it's requirements.
  • Listening distance is 12'.
  • There are four subs.
  • The subs are corner loaded.
  • The subwoofers are arranged in a source-to-sink setup.
  • You have room gain. I think SVS's figures are generally good, which is ~6dB/octave under 40Hz.

Being conservative, you'd look at the output of just two subs, as the other two are there for room mode cancellation. Doing the math, you need 112dB peak output per sub (1m free space / 2m ground plane) or 109dB RMS to hit 115dB peaks.

The E112s are capable of that reference in this situation down to about 25Hz or so, and slightly deficient below that. However most do not listen at reference, more like -6dB.

With all that said, I did mention a few alternatives, one being going ported (still 12"), which would provide sufficient output below 30Hz to hit reference. Of course anything with more output, sub wise, will also do the job presuming it fits in the room.
Thanks for that information, Nyal!

Nyal did go through many options on all the components of my room. I would not mind at all getting more performance for less money...short of DIY (sorry Beastaudio, cool idea though). I will be buying manufactured equipment, including subs. With all of the information in mind and the space/size limitations I listed in another post, what recommendations would everyone here have on the best choices for subs for my room?
bgarcia likes this.
post #532 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for that information, Nyal!

Nyal did go through many options on all the components of my room. I would not mind at all getting more performance for less money...short of DIY (sorry Beastaudio, cool idea though). I will be buying manufactured equipment, including subs. With all of the information in mind and the space/size limitations I listed in another post, what recommendations would everyone here have on the best choices for subs for my room?

Seaton, JTR, Deep Sea Sound
hlnoiku likes this.
post #533 of 1404 Old 04-07-2016, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Seaton, JTR, Deep Sea Sound
Deep Sea Sound, get one Mariana 24 now, another when you can spend the $ again 0_0
post #534 of 1404 Old 04-08-2016, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked: 4649
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
I can't remember if I listened to Pro Audio at Cedia or not. I don't believe I did. You might want to PM Kris Deering. I think he went in and listened. IIRC I don't remember anyone saying it was a must hear demo. In '14, their were a couple of demos that were must hear like JBL, Wisdom, and a couple of the Atmos demos. Last year, it was JBL, Barco and maybe one or two others. If Pro Audio's demo or system was that good, then trust me it would have been talked about.

I have a hard time believing people are pulling JBLs in favor of Pro Audio. They may be upgrading their systems and choosing Pro Audio, but not ripping out new JBL for Pro Audio.
Yeah, JBL with the M2's were very good. So was the audio in the Barco room. The Barco room used a horn loaded AMT tweeter. Smoothness of a ribbon, dynamics of a compression driver. After owning domes and compression drivers, horn loaded AMT's are my favorite and what I am currently using.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #535 of 1404 Old 04-08-2016, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

$60,000 Dedicated Home Theater Build - Requesting Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlnoiku View Post
Deep Sea Sound, get one Mariana 24 now, another when you can spend the $ again 0_0

They're awesome, but I'd go with four 18s in the corners like nyal suggested. Dave would likely give a discount when buying that many as well.
Aareses likes this.

Last edited by ambesolman; 04-08-2016 at 08:19 AM.
post #536 of 1404 Old 04-08-2016, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Peter has installed them. I don't thik he was particularly fond of them. He can comment. I considered them and priced out an entire system... they sell to many Hollywood types (a negative in my opinion) but if I recall, you have to buy their amps and they have their own EQ built in - so extra A/D & D/A conversions (I may be wrong on that). For compression drivers... I'd go Seaton!
I will echo the plug for Seaton. I love my SubM master/slave setup. My wiring won't allow for his Catalyst product (no in-wall XLR), but if was starting from scratch - I would go that route.

And ... I have never seen anyone say ,,, "I heard Seaton [insert product] and it sounded bad/crappy/etc." All of Mark's products seem to be well loved.
post #537 of 1404 Old 04-08-2016, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
All the people the Pro Audio dealer mentioned that were pulling out JBL systems in favor of Pro Audio, were all Hollywood types. He named them, but I don't remember all the names. Unfortunately, I don't have Hollywood kind of money anyway.
As Bland said, it isn't necessarily a positive who is installing them. Do they truly believe they are better or are their other reasons.

That is not to say that JBL is the ultimate just because they are used in studios, but I would have to believe that performance would be one of the most important attributes of the system.

Quote:
Thanks for the retail pricing on these items, Brian! To be clear, I am not willing to buy something without listening to it. While I haven't listened to Pro Audio, I have heard good things about it. Nyal said it would be one of the better fits for my theater. I know the dealer, who will have a system ready to listen to in 30-45 days. He talks it up huge. He's very passionate about it and he used to work with JBL Synthesis as his go-to system. I don't know if Pro Audio is that good or not, but I am willing to listen to it. It is quite possible Procella and JBL will be a better fit though. The big downside right now is, my goal was to be in my theater in 60 days. If I can't even demo a Pro Audio system soon, then by virtue of default, it may be excluded. I said that to the dealer and he said it would be a mistake to not wait. These are the reasons I wanted to post about it here and get any opinions about Pro Audio Technology and of course JBL Synthesis and Procella.
If it might be a better fit for you then you might want to wait. I know you are excited, but better safe than sorry.

post #538 of 1404 Old 04-08-2016, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Yeah, JBL with the M2's were very good. So was the audio in the Barco room. The Barco room used a horn loaded AMT tweeter. Smoothness of a ribbon, dynamics of a compression driver. After owning domes and compression drivers, horn loaded AMT's are my favorite and what I am currently using.

Yeah the Barco room sound was really good. To bad the picture sucked with the horrible on/off cr. Poor Darin still curls up in the fetal position thinking about it.

I must confess I did give your system some thought this morning. I don't think I have it in me to go through with it though. I am sure those Beymas sound great.

Did you hear the Pro Audio demo?

post #539 of 1404 Old 04-09-2016, 03:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
I have not heard a Pro Audio Technology system yet, but I am told they are in the same class as JBL Synthesis and Procella. There is also a showroom with Pro Audio about a 2 hour round trip from me. So, the top three choices for me to consider right now are Procella, JBL Synthesis and Pro Audio Technology.
The Pro Audio Technology speakers are excellent, and, their after-the-sale support is outstanding. It's worth a drive.
post #540 of 1404 Old 04-11-2016, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to hear a Pro Audio Technology demo yet because there are literally no showrooms with it right now. There was a company a 2 hour round trip from me that used to have it, but I called them to be sure before I went and they said they no longer have a show room. I asked if I could listen to a client's installation. They said they would get back to me and haven't. The dealer I have been talking to won't have their new Pro Audio Technology showroom up and running until toward the end of the year. They are installing a system in a clients home in the next 45-60 days, so that is the soonest I could listen to Pro Audio it seems. I may just rule it out due to the timeline. Right now it seems like Procella and JBL Synthesis are the front runners. I'm getting configs and pricing figured out for both to compare. I could use some assistance on that.

JBL Synthesis Questions
With a JBL Synthesis system, could I run 2 x Seaton F18+ and 2 x F18 AND still have it certified JBL Synthesis? Or do I have to use their subs? Right now, that's the weak spot of their config, using 4 x LS120P. The positive aspect though is those subs are only $700 each.

Procella Questions
Nyal said I will reach reference with the Procellas with only an AVR. He recommended Yamaha as a good sonic match (over Marantz). He did say I could use any AVR I want and it would work. Part of his recommendation to use an AVR is to keep me within my goal of $60,000 total. The room will be over $30,000. I may however be willing to spring a little more for a processor and separates. For now, I am not thinking along the lines of Behringer, Sanway or even Emotiva. I am thinking more long-term (and lower heat for my room), such as Parasound, ATI, NAD, Procella, etc. There are of course others. I do know a more efficient amp design would be to go with 200-300wpc for LCR (Procella P8s) and more like 100-200wpc for the remaining 10 surround/height channels (Procella P5s). I don't need 500wpc x 13! The basic concept being more WPC to LCR and less to surrounds/heights. Having said all of that, does anyone have a good suggestion on the best amp configuration and associated cost?

Last edited by Aareses; 04-11-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page