New! StormAudio SSP16 vs. Datasat RS20i - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #1 of 46 Old 08-06-2016, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New! StormAudio SSP16 vs. Datasat RS20i

I was checking the new StormAudio SSP16 and it seams to be a hell of a Piece of Gear.
Seems very similar in arquitecture to the RS20i, uses the same Dirac Live, however seems to hace even superior Dacs.

Anyone has experience with these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 08-06-2016, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

It's funny that many people don't know StormAudio, and in my opinion ths Processor should be something amazing...

http://www.stormaudio.com/en/product...ssp-16-3d.html
post #3 of 46 Old 08-06-2016, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CineConcepts View Post
I was checking the new StormAudio SSP16 and it seams to be a hell of a Piece of Gear.
Seems very similar in arquitecture to the RS20i, uses the same Dirac Live, however seems to hace even superior Dacs.

Anyone has experience with these?
Where do you see Dirac listed? I saw no mention on their website

What's the MSRP?

post #4 of 46 Old 08-06-2016, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemck2 View Post

What's the MSRP?
According to an old 2014 List it was 8500 pounds excl taxes
post #5 of 46 Old 08-06-2016, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemck2 View Post

What's the MSRP?

Here:

http://www.stormaudio.com/en/technologies/dirac-live/

The price i don't know.... they will be at CEDIA in September....
post #6 of 46 Old 08-06-2016, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 92
StormAudio have had a couple of goes at entering the market and hopefully they make it happen this time around. I really like their 16 channel add on option (something I had hoped Datasat could have copied) but the actual usefulness of such a piece for additional channel count may be pointless if they are limited by the same DSP restrictions as other users. Their computer control interface was also appeared very slick and now that they have Dirac they appear at at least a viable alternative to Datasat, Theta etc. I believe the Altitude probably still has the richer feature set (especially if the StormAudio can only do 7.1.4) but if their price is around their previous listed prices then they will be very attractive.
post #7 of 46 Old 08-07-2016, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post
StormAudio have had a couple of goes at entering the market and hopefully they make it happen this time around. I really like their 16 channel add on option (something I had hoped Datasat could have copied) but the actual usefulness of such a piece for additional channel count may be pointless if they are limited by the same DSP restrictions as other users. Their computer control interface was also appeared very slick and now that they have Dirac they appear at at least a viable alternative to Datasat, Theta etc. I believe the Altitude probably still has the richer feature set (especially if the StormAudio can only do 7.1.4) but if their price is around their previous listed prices then they will be very attractive.
I think StormAudio SSP16 is even a more refined product and i would dare to say with better built than the Datasat.
As for the Limited number of channels if somebody wants to go more than 16, they have a great option, the PPU16.

The PPU16 allows you to get 32 Channels, as instead Datasat that you must buy 2 processors.

Also they have a cool Amplifier with 14 channels together, the P14.200.

Anyway Amps there are plenty to choose, but for the ones, like me, who like to match i am sure they are very high quality.

I am checking these soon...
post #8 of 46 Old 08-07-2016, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Some of the statements on this thread already fly in the face of history. I would want to see one of these working reliably for at least 72 hours before I worried about sound quality or features...
CINERAMAX and HTsHT like this.
post #9 of 46 Old 08-07-2016, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceenhad View Post
Some of the statements on this thread already fly in the face of history. I would want to see one of these working reliably for at least 72 hours before I worried about sound quality or features...
As for you i don't know, but i have faith in their product, but soon i am going to hear the new SSP16 with all the 3D codecs.
post #10 of 46 Old 08-10-2016, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Good luck :blush:
post #11 of 46 Old 12-22-2016, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Storm Audio is releasing a new processor soon but its locked by DSP and can only decode up to 16 channels even if they claim 32 channels internally everything is locked and you wont able to see any more speaker count than what the DSP hardware company will allow. So 16 channel current claim is pretty hopeless.

One thing I noticed about this company.....It claims it will be leading the AV industry for 2017 but little does it know all the other processors are following a full 16 channel Decoding ability and some like TD are already planning a 24 channel. Acurus is soon going to allow a full 16 channel upgrade to the ACT 4.

Indy Audio Labs is also working on a new large processor to decode up to 32 channels if needed. So more processor development is on the Horizon.

So for now Storm can only do 7.1.4 and claim 9.1.6 in the future when ever that is!!!. They also claim it having a new correction device from Barco.

At the moment its just all smoke in the air.

The System will only able to decode 48khz nothing more. So your stuck at this sample rate forever. To Claim they have superior DAC compared to Datasat is just plain silly Storm audio does not reveal the type of or number of DACS used.
post #12 of 46 Old 12-22-2016, 08:59 AM

16 Channel Decoding.

32 Channels Post Processing.

So its true 16 channels only. It will not decode 32 channels independently. Saying that its no more better then what is currently available and what is going to be released very soon by few other companies.
post #13 of 46 Old 12-22-2016, 09:04 AM
LICENSED TO THRILL

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Cool

2 extra width or ceiling channels would have prevented the torpedoing of datasat, or theta, McIntosh, Marantz , AudioSorurce, Denon, Yamaha etc etc.

Now why did all these 16 channel companies lie about the units being 16 channels versus 12 ? Which is painfully (being stuck sitting inside a dumpster lack of spatial resolution) insufficient.

I know better than most , as 24 is not nearly enough in a medium size room.

A bed of 9 full range floor-standers and 7 bass managed tops(+1vog included) would have been wonderful.

If the storm could do that and incorporate the Barco renderer the Iosono that Atmos was inspired by and have a common genesis element then that IS a worthy solution as the first step towards atmos channel sufficiency.

The Barco renderer is amazing; maybe the best.

Believe me no one has researched this matter as thoughly as G/C.
mtbdudex likes this.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 12-22-2016 at 09:20 AM.
post #14 of 46 Old 12-22-2016, 09:36 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Promises are easy, delivery is difficult.
post #15 of 46 Old 12-22-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
2 extra width or ceiling channels would have prevented the torpedoing of datasat, or theta, McIntosh, Marantz , AudioSorurce, Denon, Yamaha etc etc.

Now why did all these 16 channel companies lie about the units being 16 channels versus 12 ? Which is painfully (being stuck sitting inside a dumpster lack of spatial resolution) insufficient.

I know better than most , as 24 is not nearly enough in a medium size room.

A bed of 9 full range floor-standers and 7 bass managed tops(+1vog included) would have been wonderful.

If the storm could do that and incorporate the Barco renderer the Iosono that Atmos was inspired by and have a common genesis element then that IS a worthy solution as the first step towards atmos channel sufficiency.

Believe me no one has researched this matter as thoughly as G/C.

Not every can dump 24 or 32 channel speakers into a room.

Its Advertised as 16 channel but is currently locked to 7.1.4 and claims it will be unlocked sometime next year when new firmware upgrade. 16 channel is max count. I think the 32 Channel is nothing but another trick to sell a processor at a higher cost unless you are running every speaker full active.
post #16 of 46 Old 12-22-2016, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
I thought the Acurus sounded outstanding in Atmos - apparently, it can do 7.1.6 natively.

The 6 height channels, to me, seemed like an ideal minimum for heights. The demo of Everest was really convincing in such a small space.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #17 of 46 Old 12-22-2016, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
I thought the Acurus sounded outstanding in Atmos - apparently, it can do 7.1.6 natively.

The 6 height channels, to me, seemed like an ideal minimum for heights. The demo of Everest was really convincing in such a small space.
They have an event planned at Feb 8th (during ISE, in Europe). It's in the Galaxy Studios in Belgium (the birthplace of Auro 3D).

Anyone going to ISE next year? I am!
post #18 of 46 Old 12-22-2016, 10:43 AM

From what iv been told if the Acurus is setup by a real installer/Intergrator than the ACT4 sounds very Dynamic and Crystal Clear and will outclass some of the higher end Processors. Apparently Acurus will go 16 channel next year some time. Same thing Storm Audio claims.

in one of the other threads i did mention a manually adjusted system which takes longer and more effort tends to always sound better to me. I would be interested in giving this processor a go and see how clean the signal flows through compared to a signal adjusted electronically by algorithms.

Acurus at this moment can do 7.3.6.

Last edited by Phantomaudio; 12-23-2016 at 08:13 AM.
post #19 of 46 Old 12-23-2016, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Quote:

I would much rather have wide speakers {9.1.4} over extra tops for the MLP. Having 6 tops is great, but I don't think it is a minimum. Testing 4 tops with a 6 top signal, the middle row can be imaged very well unless you have several rows that need great coverage.

It is really about angles/triangles*. The further away the speakers (bigger room), the more additional speakers are needed to reduce the angles between speakers, for seats other than the MLP. IMO, the true advantage of higher speaker counts is scaling the system to meet the needs/compromises of each room. The more seats/rows, the more speakers needed.

*Not applicable for the MLP.

Last edited by thxman; 12-27-2016 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Clarified my statement about angles.
post #20 of 46 Old 12-23-2016, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
I would much rather have wide speakers {9.1.4} over extra tops for the MLP. Having 6 tops is great, but I don't think it is a minimum. Testing 4 tops with a 6 top signal, the middle row can be imaged very well unless you have several rows that need great coverage.

It is really about angles/triangles. The further away the speakers (bigger room), the more additional speakers are needed to reduce the angles between speakers. IMO, the true advantage of higher speaker counts is scaling the system to meet the needs/compromises of each room.
I heard a number of systems (including my own with the 4 heights in Atmos / Datasat), and more heights are better IMO from the MLP (and my experiences at CEDIA).

Ideally, you'd have wides and more tops.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #21 of 46 Old 12-23-2016, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I heard a number of systems (including my own with the 4 heights in Atmos / Datasat), and more heights are better IMO from the MLP (and my experiences at CEDIA).

Ideally, you'd have wides and more tops.
"Better", I absolutely agree. Anytime you replace an imaged/phantom speaker with a real one, you get better results. "Minimum" is where I strongly don't agree, at least not in every room.
post #22 of 46 Old 12-23-2016, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Are we talking AuroMax (channels+objects+WFS) here?

A good idea and understanding lies at the basis of every successful project.
post #23 of 46 Old 12-23-2016, 07:02 AM
LICENSED TO THRILL

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked: 1265
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
no iosono which is beyiond auroimax capability. I can't post pictures and diagrams with this new avslook, no show and tell sorry. They will have to add capability to add links and attachements.
post #24 of 46 Old 12-23-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
no iosono which is beyiond auroimax capability. I can't post pictures and diagrams with this new avslook, no show and tell sorry. They will have to add capability to add links and attachements.
I assume you have extensive experience with IOSONO? since your comment above claimed either its the best if not then one of the best.
post #25 of 46 Old 12-23-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
"Better", I absolutely agree. Anytime you replace an imaged/phantom speaker with a real one, you get better results. "Minimum" is where I strongly don't agree, at least not in every room.
Acurus should able to do 9.3.6 early 2017 it will be a hardware upgrade (Field upgradable and Firmware) For most small to med size this should be good.

Apparently Storm Audio in some time later in 2017 No upgrades required except firmware. No one has Seen a Storm Audio in action, No print out of its navigation or menu system. Nothing is tangible as of yet just all smoke building up.

Theta Digital is planning a 24 channel but considering that companies reputation in product time and delivery it may be released in 2025, where by the rest of the planet is standard at 64 channels except Peter who will probably running 250 channel rooms.
post #26 of 46 Old 12-23-2016, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomaudio View Post
Theta Digital is planning a 24 channel but considering that companies reputation in product time and delivery it may be released in 2025, where by the rest of the planet is standard at 64 channels except Peter who will probably running 250 channel rooms.
Well, I think you meant 34 (vs 64), but Peter hitting 250 made me laugh out loud.
post #27 of 46 Old 12-23-2016, 08:12 AM

At this moment im wary of Storm Audio considering this companies history with failed attempts and others issues which i wont mention on public forums.
post #28 of 46 Old 12-23-2016, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The race to see who can come out with the 1st true 9.1.6 (or more) at sub $10k and then again at sub $5k should be exciting and fun. I have a feeling there are plenty of amazing theaters waiting to be built/completed pending AVR/SSP's like this.
mtbdudex and Lygren like this.
post #29 of 46 Old 12-23-2016, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 180
At my company, we recently installed a Datasat RS20i, but we were also considering these from Storm Audio... However, at the time (only a couple of weeks ago) there was no mention of Dirac Live, but if this is now available I guess these processors might be kind of appealing given their price point? We did choose the RS20i though, as the price difference was not that great when taking into considering we need EAS / EBU to give out Alcons CRMSc-system the very best signal input. Also, after Walter Fortmuller calibrated the Datasat using Dirac Live, connected it to our Alcons amps and we setup the system in a 13.1(3) Auro-3D-layout, the Datasat really sounded astoundingly good...!! OK, Auro-3D might not be what the director intended, I get that, but the immersiveness of this layout compared to regular Atmos is simply not even comparable. Atmos mastering HAS to include more stuff in the ceiling if this format is ever to be a functional format for the home market as far as I am concerned, object based sound is certainly cool, but when the only "object" you hear is a helicopter or thunderstorm every 1 hour of watching a movie the format really just falls through.

Anyhow, enough with the Atmos vs. Auro-3D talk; what I was trying to say is that I am now totally hooked on immersive audio and also I really had NO idea that a processor could have such an impact on the overall quality! We used a Marantz 8802 prior to upgrading to the Datasat, and although the Alcons-system sounded "OK" the quality that now is delivered through the digital connections and Dirac calibration is truly on a totally different planet!! Problem is the price, and as such I do welcome new entrants such as StormAudio provided they are indeed able to maintain quality...
thxman and maikeldepotter like this.

Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!
Founder AVforum.no // Norway´s leading AV community since 2002
post #30 of 46 Old 12-23-2016, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
The race to see who can come out with the 1st true 9.1.6 (or more) at sub $10k and then again at sub $5k should be exciting and fun. I have a feeling there are plenty of amazing theaters waiting to be built/completed pending AVR/SSP's like this.
Its not clear that any DSP chipsets can decode more that 11 channels plus LFE. I asked on the Emotiva forum how many Atmos channels their new 16 channel PRE (under development) would be able to decode and there was no response. I understand the Casablanca V or E is moving off DSP to a computer platform.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page