Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 268Likes

post #181 of 500 Old 03-30-2017, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 533
New Firmware Released

Just had a thought to check the JVC site and low and behold here it is. Guess I won't be going to bed just yet

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...dla-z1_rs4500/
Mark_H likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 500 Old 03-30-2017, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Just had a thought to check the JVC site and low and behold here it is. Guess I won't be going to bed just yet

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...dla-z1_rs4500/

Can't wait to try this out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #183 of 500 Old 03-30-2017, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well....... Enjoy your blue screens, folks!! (I kid, I kid!!!)

Kevin

post #184 of 500 Old 03-30-2017, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Snyder View Post
Well....... Enjoy your blue screens, folks!! (I kid, I kid!!!)

Kevin
Unlike our poor VW5000 owning friends, no sign of any unwanted picture side effects for us thus far. I only was able to watch an hour last night as it was so late. I didn't jump around and try 4K modes etc either. I just watched a recent episode of Black Sails, which fortunately contained several night scenes. I moved back and forth between Dynamic modes 1 & 2 during the episode. It's hard to say just yet but initially mode 2 looks little more refined, still see some brightness jumps though. Mode one appeared to have little difference and I still noticed a couple of brightness jumps there too. I'd like to test some HDR with both modes next to see how it performs. With the fans, they seemed to stay at the manageable lower level for the hour I viewed in mid-laser. I also left the aircon in the room off partially to test this and partially because we had cooler snap in weather yesterday so the room was already about 22c and didn't get any warmer really. Due to limited time I didn't engage high laser to check the fans yet, which will be interesting to see if how it now sounds. I'll see if I can check that out when I get home later. According to the release notes there was no mention of any tweaks to user modes like had been indicated to me there might have been by the local JVC guys.
ARROW-AV likes this.

Last edited by OzHDHT; 03-30-2017 at 10:01 PM.
post #185 of 500 Old 03-30-2017, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2582
You guys should also take note they released a new version of the auto-calibrate software for this unit today as well.

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...ationsoft.html
post #186 of 500 Old 04-04-2017, 12:06 PM
Home Theater Lover

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4146 Post(s)
Liked: 4230
Quote:
Unlike our poor VW5000 owning friends, no sign of any unwanted picture side effects for us thus far. I only was able to watch an hour last night as it was so late. I didn't jump around and try 4K modes etc either. I just watched a recent episode of Black Sails, which fortunately contained several night scenes. I moved back and forth between Dynamic modes 1 & 2 during the episode. It's hard to say just yet but initially mode 2 looks little more refined, still see some brightness jumps though. Mode one appeared to have little difference and I still noticed a couple of brightness jumps there too. I'd like to test some HDR with both modes next to see how it performs. With the fans, they seemed to stay at the manageable lower level for the hour I viewed in mid-laser. I also left the aircon in the room off partially to test this and partially because we had cooler snap in weather yesterday so the room was already about 22c and didn't get any warmer really. Due to limited time I didn't engage high laser to check the fans yet, which will be interesting to see if how it now sounds. I'll see if I can check that out when I get home later. According to the release notes there was no mention of any tweaks to user modes like had been indicated to me there might have been by the local JVC guys.
I don't believe mode 1 has changed, but mode 2 looks much better. I just tested the scenes in the Blu Ray " Inglorious Bastards ", in the bar in the basement, where our Nazi impostors are being questioned by a real Nazi, and the scene switches quickly back and forth. A forum member here pointed to this as a torture test for dynamic irises ( I'm going to remember this one - good test ). Every time it switched from the impostors at the table ( bright ), to the real Nazi standing at the end of the table ( dark ), I could see the laser dimming " flick " closed ( mode 2 ) prior to the new firmware. With the new firmware update, I could barely see one instance of the dimming working, then it was totally seamless.
Settings - mid laser, mode 2 dimming, -7 manual iris, Natural user mode.

The Revenant was a 4K movie where I could also see mode 2 dynamic dimming working too much ( mode 1 worked well though - only saw it misbehave maybe 2 or 3 times in 2 hours ). Anyway, while I did not watch the entire movie today ( it's a work day after all, although this is technically work ), what I did watch showed zero dynamic dimming artifacts.
Settings - mid laser, mode 2 dimming, -4 manual iris, HDR user mode.

My other settings are close to Kris's - http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...8ogXHvEyhOp.97
ARROW-AV likes this.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #187 of 500 Old 04-04-2017, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I don't believe mode 1 has changed, but mode 2 looks much better. I just tested the scenes in the Blu Ray " Inglorious Bastards ", in the bar in the basement, where our Nazi impostors are being questioned by a real Nazi, and the scene switches quickly back and forth. A forum member here pointed to this as a torture test for dynamic irises ( I'm going to remember this one - good test ). Every time it switched from the impostors at the table ( bright ), to the real Nazi standing at the end of the table ( dark ), I could see the laser dimming " flick " closed ( mode 2 ) prior to the new firmware. With the new firmware update, I could barely see one instance of the dimming working, then it was totally seamless.

The Revenant was a 4K movie where I could also see mode 2 dynamic dimming working too much ( mode 1 worked well though - only saw it misbehave maybe 2 or 3 times in 2 hours ). Anyway, while I did not watch the entire movie today ( it's a work day after all, although this is technically work ), what I did watch showed zero dynamic dimming artifacts.

My other settings are close to Kris's - http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...8ogXHvEyhOp.97
After a few days of viewing I agree with you Craig, I can't see a change in mode 1, but I used mode 2 last night and tried Mike's idea of low lamp and Aperture 0. It seemed present a nice image and dimming seemed to work pretty well, did notice a few minor hiccups across a similar period to you, but definitely much better than before. That torture test from Inglorious Bastards sounds like a good one, I'll have to give it a try!
Craig Peer and ARROW-AV like this.
post #188 of 500 Old 04-07-2017, 09:59 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 1267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
A little bit of news. JVC has been listening to their customers and in the near future a firmware update is coming to address, what I would say are the main two issues, fan noise level and dynamic laser dimming. Really looking forward to the update. I currently use my unit in medium laser power mode for HDR (35/36FL), but I may have to consider high laser power (47FL) once we get this update. Also very excited about the improved dynamic dimming. Hopefully with the ease of a USB update we get more of these improvements.
Quote:
Good news to report re the upcoming firmware release for the Z1/4500. I just got some specifics today. Release date is slated for March 31. The update is reported to contain:
● Stabilized Dynamic laser functions
● Optimisations to enhance "Cinema” and other modes
● Improvement projector cooling performance
Quote:
...mode 2 looks much better... I could see the laser dimming " flick " closed ( mode 2 ) prior to the new firmware. With the new firmware update, I could barely see one instance of the dimming working, then it was totally seamless.

The Revenant was a 4K movie where I could also see mode 2 dynamic dimming working too much... while I did not watch the entire movie today what I did watch showed zero dynamic dimming artifacts.
Quote:
...I used mode 2 last night and tried Mike's idea of low lamp and Aperture 0. It seemed present a nice image and dimming seemed to work pretty well...definitely much better than before.
Wow! This is absolutely fantastic. Not only has JVC actually listened to the feedback from the trenches they've acted upon it and made corresponding significant improvements, and within a very short time period too. This really is excellent news indeed. Kudos to JVC! Great feedback so far everyone. Thank you! We're very much looking forward to hearing what others have to say about the improvements. Keep it coming folks!
Craig Peer and Ericglo like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 04-07-2017 at 10:02 AM.
post #189 of 500 Old 04-08-2017, 05:41 AM
We're Nuts About AV

UPDATE: Following this excellent news, we are going to carry out a re-evaluation of the JVC DLA-RS4500/Z1 including with respect to the new firmware and hence the improvements and will publish a follow-up to our initial review. This projector was already capable of delivering a very nice image indeed onto the most common HT screen sizes, with only a couple of issues which we and others fed back to JVC and we said at the time that we hoped JVC might subsequently improve and/or resolve. And so it looks like JVC may have done so already. We will be sure to report our findings
Ericglo likes this.
post #190 of 500 Old 04-20-2017, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello! Any information about Dolby Vision update?
post #191 of 500 Old 04-20-2017, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmith777 View Post
Hello! Any information about Dolby Vision update?
It's highly unlikely projectors including the 4500/Z1 will be able to utilise the DolbyVision standard. It will likely take addition hardware in the next gen projectors.

JVC 4k Native Laser projector (confirm)
post #192 of 500 Old 04-21-2017, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
It's highly unlikely projectors including the 4500/Z1 will be able to utilise the DolbyVision standard. It will likely take addition hardware in the next gen projectors.

JVC 4k Native Laser projector (confirm)
Actually I read that dv can be added via sw...
And hdmi 2.0 should be sufficient...
As always it's a mess..
I don't even know if buying an oppo 205
now given the forthcoming hdmi 2.1 and hdr 10+........
post #193 of 500 Old 04-21-2017, 03:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifo View Post
As always it's a mess..
You need to read up on its actual implementation. Software is one thing, but how does a device like a projector function with it. It's totally different to implementation in TV's. It's been discussed already quite a bit on the other thread.
post #194 of 500 Old 04-21-2017, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Quote:
As always it's a mess..
You need to read up on its actual implementation. Software is one thing, but how does a device like a projector function with it. It's totally different to implementation in TV's. It's been discussed already quite a bit on the other thread.
Doesn't mean the RS4500 isn't designed to handle it. I'm sure we'll hear more about the possibility at some point soon.
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #195 of 500 Old 04-21-2017, 06:03 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post
Doesn't mean the RS4500 isn't designed to handle it. I'm sure we'll hear more about the possibility at some point soon.
There is a 'software-only' version of Dolby Vision that has been developed but this is mainly intended for use with electronic devices such as mobile phones etc... This is watered-down and hence is NOT the same as 'full'/'proper' Dolby Vision which does indeed require specific hardware, including DV decoder and display management technology.

But some products have already had said hardware included to pre-empt the future addition of DV via simple firmware update, such as the OPPO 203 and 205 Blu-Ray players, and IIRC the SONY ZD9/Z9D TVs.

That said, it would be vey easy for JVC to make the neccesary hardware addition/modification with respect to the Z1/RS4500 and simply roll this out as the 2018 model, in precisely the same manner that the RS/X series projectors have undergone tweaking on pretty much an annual basis

Either way I think it's fair to say that, given it's JVC we are talking about here, if DV is worth adding to HT projectors, then JVC will add it. And we agree with Adidino in that we don't see anything that would prevent JVC being able to add it to the RS4500/Z1 via simple hardware modification plus firmware upgrade

Whether the display happens to be a TV or projector, this will fortunately be pretty much irrelevant, because uniquely with DV the video content will be adapted via the DV decoder and display management technology according to the properties of the particular display such that the DV video content is displayed optimally on each and every video display device, irrespective of whether it is a TV or projector.

Additionally, via use of DV's dynamic metadata feature the HDR video grading/settings are varied frame-by-frame. This has the huge advantage and upgrade over and above existing consumer HDR video formats, including HDR10 and UltraHD Premium, where with all of these the HDR video grading/settings are static, meaning that one singular set of settings are used for the whole video/movie. Whereas, with DV not only can different scenes have a completely different set of HDR video grading/settings (which is kind of important when there is such a massive variance between video that is filmed in the daytime, nightime, outdoors, indoors, etc.) but DV can also do this on an individual frame basis, where quite literally every single frame can have its own settings such that each and every frame yields optimal HDR video performance.

There is currently a massive variance with respect to the grading of consumer HDR video content, where the designated white clipping point ranges considerably from circa 1,000 nits to 8,000+ nits, but where display devices currently have no ability to deal with or handle such variability; meaning that there will be a significant variance in HDR performance across the various consumer HDR titles. Where the only way of dealing with this currently is to use an external video processor, such as the Lumagen Radiance Pro, and use this to regrade all HDR video content to the same nits clipping point and that which matches the capabilities and specifications of the particular video display device, whether it be a TV or projector. However, this is expensive and requires a learning curve or contracting the services of an AV installer to setup. However, DV essentially does this itself (whereas the existing HDR formats do not) thereby negating the need for such additional equipment, and ensuring that the HDR video content is displayed to its best ability with respect to whatever video display device, without any such additional expense or complication necessary.

For these reasons we very much hope that DV will become the industry standard that is used for all consumer HDR and both HDR10 and UltraHD Premium fizzle out and fall by the wayside.

Here's a WHITE PAPER regarding consumer Dolby Vision for Home Theater/Cinema attached to this post, which some may find interesting

Which you can also download from HERE:
DOLBY VISION | Dolby Vision for the Home
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DOLBY VISION WHITE PAPER.pdf (708.8 KB, 58 views)
OzHDHT and tigerhonaker like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 04-21-2017 at 09:49 AM.
post #196 of 500 Old 04-21-2017, 10:31 AM
Home Theater Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
There is a 'software-only' version of Dolby Vision that has been developed but this is mainly intended for use with electronic devices such as mobile phones etc... This is watered-down and hence is NOT the same as 'full'/'proper' Dolby Vision which does indeed require specific hardware, including DV decoder and display management technology.

But some products have already had said hardware included to pre-empt the future addition of DV via simple firmware update, such as the OPPO 203 and 205 Blu-Ray players, and IIRC the SONY ZD9/Z9D TVs.

That said, it would be vey easy for JVC to make the neccesary hardware addition/modification with respect to the Z1/RS4500 and simply roll this out as the 2018 model, in precisely the same manner that the RS/X series projectors have undergone tweaking on pretty much an annual basis

Either way I think it's fair to say that, given it's JVC we are talking about here, if DV is worth adding to HT projectors, then JVC will add it. And we agree with Adidino in that we don't see anything that would prevent JVC being able to add it to the RS4500/Z1 via simple hardware modification plus firmware upgrade

Whether the display happens to be a TV or projector, this will fortunately be pretty much irrelevant, because uniquely with DV the video content will be adapted via the DV decoder and display management technology according to the properties of the particular display such that the DV video content is displayed optimally on each and every video display device, irrespective of whether it is a TV or projector.

Additionally, via use of DV's dynamic metadata feature the HDR video grading/settings are varied frame-by-frame. This has the huge advantage and upgrade over and above existing consumer HDR video formats, including HDR10 and UltraHD Premium, where with all of these the HDR video grading/settings are static, meaning that one singular set of settings are used for the whole video/movie. Whereas, with DV not only can different scenes have a completely different set of HDR video grading/settings (which is kind of important when there is such a massive variance between video that is filmed in the daytime, nightime, outdoors, indoors, etc.) but DV can also do this on an individual frame basis, where quite literally every single frame can have its own settings such that each and every frame yields optimal HDR video performance.

There is currently a massive variance with respect to the grading of consumer HDR video content, where the designated white clipping point ranges considerably from circa 1,000 nits to 8,000+ nits, but where display devices currently have no ability to deal with or handle such variability; meaning that there will be a significant variance in HDR performance across the various consumer HDR titles. Where the only way of dealing with this currently is to use an external video processor, such as the Lumagen Radiance Pro, and use this to regrade all HDR video content to the same nits clipping point and that which matches the capabilities and specifications of the particular video display device, whether it be a TV or projector. However, this is expensive and requires a learning curve or contracting the services of an AV installer to setup. However, DV essentially does this itself (whereas the existing HDR formats do not) thereby negating the need for such additional equipment, and ensuring that the HDR video content is displayed to its best ability with respect to whatever video display device, without any such additional expense or complication necessary.

For these reasons we very much hope that DV will become the industry standard that is used for all consumer HDR and both HDR10 and UltraHD Premium fizzle out and fall by the wayside.

Here's a WHITE PAPER regarding consumer Dolby Vision for Home Theater/Cinema attached to this post, which some may find interesting

Which you can also download from HERE:
DOLBY VISION | Dolby Vision for the Home
Doesn't Dolby Vision need to know how bright a display is to begin with ? That's easy with flat panel TV's. Much more difficult with a projector and about 1000 different screen gain / size combinations. Plus, with lamp based projectors that dim over time, and the fact that hardly anyone seems to use a light meter, DV would seem to be like world peace - a nice idea in theory, that won't pan out in real life. And this is where I add that the current 39 4K Blu-rays I already have ( about $ 1k worth ) aren't going to be double dipped for DV versions, that probably wont work better than the ones I have now.

And I thought the whole HD DVD / Blu-ray rollout was a clusterf#@k !! The industry has managed to outdo even that mess !

" Dolby Vision changes that, giving creative teams the confidence that images will be reproduced faithfully on TVs, PCs, and mobile devices that feature Dolby Vision. "

I'm not seeing video projectors on that list.
OzHDHT and ARROW-AV like this.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net

Last edited by Craig Peer; 04-21-2017 at 10:34 AM.
post #197 of 500 Old 04-21-2017, 11:59 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Doesn't Dolby Vision need to know how bright a display is to begin with ? That's easy with flat panel TV's. Much more difficult with a projector and about 1000 different screen gain / size combinations. Plus, with lamp based projectors that dim over time, and the fact that hardly anyone seems to use a light meter, DV would seem to be like world peace - a nice idea in theory, that won't pan out in real life. And this is where I add that the current 39 4K Blu-rays I already have ( about $ 1k worth ) aren't going to be double dipped for DV versions, that probably wont work better than the ones I have now.

And I thought the whole HD DVD / Blu-ray rollout was a clusterf#@k !! The industry has managed to outdo even that mess !

" Dolby Vision changes that, giving creative teams the confidence that images will be reproduced faithfully on TVs, PCs, and mobile devices that feature Dolby Vision. "

I'm not seeing video projectors on that list.
Somewhat ironic that Dolby Vision was developed FOR projectors, isn't it? Albeit obviously not HT

Quite honestly I don't know precisely how consumer DV is going to deliver on this promise... But if I was to hazard a guess I would expect there to be some sort of lookup table created for all makes and models of video display devices. But with respect to projectors you make excellent points, where I think the only way of doing it would be to have a range for projectors dependant upon the LUMENS figure within the respective projector's specification and/or simply make it a fixed 100 nits for all HT projectors as per with respect to the professional cinema DV projectors. Where this would also make sense given 100 nits/29 fL is what projected (full field white 235) image luminosity the likes of THX and ISF recommend all HT projectors be calibrated to with respect to HDR video.

Are you going to be attending CEDIA this year Craig? If so, how about we meet up at the DOLBY booth, where you can block off the exit whilst I ask the pertinent questions... That way the DOLBY reps won't be able to escape and we can force them to provide the answers

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 04-21-2017 at 12:03 PM.
post #198 of 500 Old 04-21-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV;52415329
Are you going to be attending CEDIA this year Craig? If so, how about we meet up at the DOLBY booth, where you can block off the exit whilst I ask the pertinent questions... That way the DOLBY reps won't be able to escape and we can force them to provide the answers ;) :D
[color=white
.[/color]
Jamin and I used to roam CEDIA and CES playing good cop/bad cop with manufacturers. It was much fun listening to sales fumble about, until they called over an engineer to get the facts straight. I think they are now all wise to our shenanigans tho. Maybe we need disguises next year!
ARROW-AV likes this.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
Master ARCOS Calibrator, Cedia Designer, HAA Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video
post #199 of 500 Old 04-21-2017, 12:45 PM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by appelz View Post
Jamin and I used to roam CEDIA and CES playing good cop/bad cop with manufacturers. It was much fun listening to sales fumble about, until they called over an engineer to get the facts straight. I think they are now all wise to our shenanigans tho. Maybe we need disguises next year!
Mmmmm, perhaps you're right... How's THIS?:

appelz likes this.
post #200 of 500 Old 04-21-2017, 01:06 PM
Home Theater Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Somewhat ironic that Dolby Vision was developed FOR projectors, isn't it? Albeit obviously not HT

Quite honestly I don't know precisely how consumer DV is going to deliver on this promise... But if I was to hazard a guess I would expect there to be some sort of lookup table created for all makes and models of video display devices. But with respect to projectors you make excellent points, where I think the only way of doing it would be to have a range for projectors dependant upon the LUMENS figure within the respective projector's specification and/or simply make it a fixed 100 nits for all HT projectors as per with respect to the professional cinema DV projectors. Where this would also make sense given 100 nits/29 fL is what projected (full field white 235) image luminosity the likes of THX and ISF recommend all HT projectors be calibrated to with respect to HDR video.

Are you going to be attending CEDIA this year Craig? If so, how about we meet up at the DOLBY booth, where you can block off the exit whilst I ask the pertinent questions... That way the DOLBY reps won't be able to escape and we can force them to provide the answers
I'll be there. It's close enough this year that I can roll down CA in my 350Z to Cedia !
ARROW-AV likes this.

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #201 of 500 Old 04-21-2017, 01:11 PM
Home Theater Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post
On the other hand, with the new Panasonic UB900 firmware and RS4500 firmware, I'm not sure I care one way or the other. Arrival looked outstanding the other night - much better than the first time I watched it. And that's a dark film. Not anymore ( although the mood is still dark ). In fact every 4K UHD I've watched on the RS4500 on my screen has looked excellent !!
OzHDHT likes this.

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #202 of 500 Old 04-21-2017, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I finished the last quarter of Deep Water Horizon last night, after starting viewing it about 2 months ago on my RS500. I also loaded the new UB900 firmware and was testing the dynamic range slider. Was really liking the amount of control that having that now provides. The post explosion scenes where I started viewing were a real treat to watch. After that I pulled out the Ghostbusters 2016 as I hadn't gotten around to watching it. Also really enjoyed tweaking the image between the UB900 and Z1 to get a really great result with that film too, just literally +1 or 2 at the most with the UB900 and then an Aperture setting around -5 or -6 in Mid laser looked terrific.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #203 of 500 Old 04-22-2017, 09:28 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 809
Exclamation

Quote:
On the other hand, with the new Panasonic UB900 firmware and RS4500 firmware, I'm not sure I care one way or the other. Arrival looked outstanding the other night - much better than the first time I watched it. And that's a dark film. Not anymore ( although the mood is still dark ). In fact every 4K UHD I've watched on the RS4500 on my screen has looked excellent !!
Cool wish it would come down in price!

Great review https://www.avforums.com/review/jvc-...r-review.13539

Not so good conclusion
post #204 of 500 Old 04-22-2017, 10:16 AM
Home Theater Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Not so good conclusion
That was apparently a demo unit from early this year, before they were fully working software wise. Notice they didn't even mention the dynamic dimming as a feature -at all. And the latest firmware has taken the performance another step up. Even from Kris's review.

Try this review instead - http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...7uR3RD8GsDd.97

Better yet, come see one in person. Mine will be calibrated by W. Jeff Meier of Accucal 2 weeks from tomorrow. Available to view in my theater by appointment. If you ask nicely, I'll even pour you a glass of wine or champagne ! I'm in Northern California.
OzHDHT and ARROW-AV like this.

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #205 of 500 Old 04-22-2017, 01:01 PM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Not so good conclusion
Quote:
That was apparently a demo unit from early this year, before they were fully working software wise. Notice they didn't even mention the dynamic dimming as a feature -at all. And the latest firmware has taken the performance another step up. Even from Kris's review.

Try this review instead - http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...7uR3RD8GsDd.97

Better yet, come see one in person. Mine will be calibrated by W. Jeff Meier of Accucal 2 weeks from tomorrow. Available to view in my theater by appointment. If you ask nicely, I'll even pour you a glass of wine or champagne ! I'm in Northern California.
WSE, listen to this fine gentleman ^^^^ We can also vouch for the fact that there have been significant improvements made with respect to the RS4500/Z1's video performance which unluckily transpired chronologically shortly after the AVFORUMs reviewer carried out their evaluation with respect to their review.

And yet even further to this there is much excitement regarding the resultant video image that is achieved via combining the Panasonic DMP-UB900 with the JVC DLA-RS4500/Z1 with its latest firmware update that has added a 'Dynamic Contrast' setting which users are feeding back produces a superb image with consumer HDR video content.

We will have loaned to us a demo unit within the next couple of days for evaluating this combination ourselves and personally I can't wait to see what it looks like.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 04-22-2017 at 01:04 PM.
post #206 of 500 Old 04-22-2017, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Nice in-depth review here. Kudos to this guy for covering pretty much everything you need to know about this projector...I'm impressed, to say the least:

Craig Peer likes this.
post #207 of 500 Old 04-23-2017, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Ok, this might be slightly out of topic, but I see a lot of discussion here on the SXRD panel degradation, ie, loss of huge amounts of contrast on Sony Projectors...

I have the Sony 500ES (asian model) for 2 years now and I have put in 3000 hours of lamp life... yesterday, i hooked up my Dune HD 4K player for the first time and downloaded 4K demo materials... man, oh man... I have never seen anything sharper, and clearer in my life before... i feel like i am looking out the window... I am sure there are light loss after 3000 hours, but the projector is still prettty darn bright at 3000 hours in on my 0.9 gain, 10 feet wide screen...

And I don't think i notice any contrast degradation.. this is from memory though... but picture quality is still the best i have ever seen....

So, does anyone know for sure there are degradation on all sony projectors or just certain models or that maybe certain models' degradation is a very, very slow process????
post #208 of 500 Old 04-24-2017, 01:00 PM
Home Theater Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Ok, this might be slightly out of topic, but I see a lot of discussion here on the SXRD panel degradation, ie, loss of huge amounts of contrast on Sony Projectors...

I have the Sony 500ES (asian model) for 2 years now and I have put in 3000 hours of lamp life... yesterday, i hooked up my Dune HD 4K player for the first time and downloaded 4K demo materials... man, oh man... I have never seen anything sharper, and clearer in my life before... i feel like i am looking out the window... I am sure there are light loss after 3000 hours, but the projector is still prettty darn bright at 3000 hours in on my 0.9 gain, 10 feet wide screen...

And I don't think i notice any contrast degradation.. this is from memory though... but picture quality is still the best i have ever seen....

So, does anyone know for sure there are degradation on all sony projectors or just certain models or that maybe certain models' degradation is a very, very slow process????
There is an entire thread on this subject in the $3K + section - no need to muck up this thread. That said, I suspected that the VW600 I had lost contrast over 450 hours and 15 months. It also started to show dynamic iris artifacts after a while that weren't there in the beginning. And the picture while good, did not equal the RS4500.
OzHDHT likes this.

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #209 of 500 Old 04-24-2017, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
There is an entire thread on this subject in the $3K + section - no need to muck up this thread. That said, I suspected that the VW600 I had lost contrast over 450 hours and 15 months. It also started to show dynamic iris artifacts after a while that weren't there in the beginning. And the picture while good, did not equal the RS4500.
Thanks for the info...

I think maybe mine has too, but prob very little, I don't think I noticed any as pictures still look like really good contrast to me... either that or that I am not as decerning as most of you here... depending on the materials i feed it... Anyways, like you say, not to muck up this thread...

As for the RS 4500, or the Sony 5000, I have no doubt they are much better projectors... but I haven't seem them... and I don't think it's fair to compare $35K projector to a $10K projector anyways...
post #210 of 500 Old 04-29-2017, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I'm new here and hopefully someone can answer this (probably) simple question on this projector:

projector touts a resolution of 4096x2160.

The only resolution that shows up on mine is 3840x2160

All equipment I have is 4096-ready.

Can someone help?

Thanks

Last edited by WesMantooth3407; 04-29-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page