AVS Forum banner

Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread

399K views 6K replies 194 participants last post by  tigerhonaker 
#1 · (Edited)
Since there doesn't appear to be an actual thread for owner's of this projector. I thought it would be a good idea to create a thread for those that currently own one or are expecting one soon.

Reactions: cannga
#2 · (Edited)
REFERENCE SERIES 4K HOME CINEMA PROJECTOR
MSRP: $34,999.95
Product Details
Product Overview
Specifications
Press Releases
Sales & Support
Documentation & Visuals
NEW
The DLA-RS4500 is the ultimate projector for discerning individuals who want uncompromised large screen performance in their home. It represents a giant leap forward in front projection, delivering exquisite native 4K high dynamic range (HDR) images at a brightness that fills even the largest home theater screens. It features three JVC-developed native 4K D-ILA devices combined with our exclusive BLU-Escent laser phosphor illumination that delivers 3,000 lumens with a 20,000 hour operational life. In addition, the new laser light source offers dynamic light control for an infinite contrast ratio (∞:1). To further ensure that the projector delivers bright, high-quality 4K images, it features a new 100mm high-resolution lens developed specifically for 4K applications, and a new Cinema Filter for a wide color gamut.
Key Features:
2nd generation BLU-Escent™ (Laser Diode/Phosphor) Light Source with 20,000 hour life
3,000 lumen illumination
20,000 hour laser life (at full power)
∞ : 1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
Three 0.69 inch 4K DILA (4096 × 2160) Devices
18 Element, 16 Group All Glass 100mm Diameter Zoom Lens
Native 4K (4096 x 2160) Projected Image
Two 18 Gbps HDMI/HDCP 2.2 Compatible Inputs
THX® 4K Display Certified (pending approval)
ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) Licensed
Improved Multi Pixel Control (MPC) w/Auto Mode
MPC Works with 4K60P (up to 4:4:4) Signals
HDR (High Dynamic Range) Compatible w/HDR10 and Hybrid Log Gamma and SMPTE 2086
Motion Enhance (2D, 3D, 4K) w/Upgraded Clear Motion Drive
100% coverage of DCI-P3 color space and 80% BT.2020
1.4 to 2.8:1 Motorized Zoom Lens w/±100% Vertical Offset and ±43% Horizontal (16:9 aspect ratio)
New Installation Function Memorizes 10 Positions for Lens, Screen & Masking Settings
Control: Control4 SDDP / LAN / RS-232C / IR / 12V Screen Trigger Output / 3D Sync Output
3 Year Warranty

Native 4K D-ILA Device 0.69 inch
The DLA-RS4500 employs the world's smallest Native 4K D-ILA device (.69"diagonal) realizing 4096 x 2160 pixel images. It utilizes vertical orientation technology and a planarization technique that reduces light scattering and light diraction over previous devices. The result is extremely high native contrast ratios with smooth, detailed pictures without visible pixel structure even on large screens.

Laser Phosphor Light Engine
JVC's proprietary 2nd generation BLU-Escent™ laser phosphor light engine uses blue laser diodes, stationary inorganic phosphor and JVC's proprietary color management system. BLU-Escent™ enables a consistent 3,000 lumen light output. Increased brightness ensures compatibility with larger screen sizes over 200 inches, and improved HDR performance, bringing greater depth and dimensionality to home theater screens.

Using the Laser Diodes as the light source, light output can be controlled instantly enabling a contrast ratio of ∞:1. The DLA-RS4500 controls the laser output accordingly to the scene's brightness, which creates a picture that is as close to human perception as possible.
Low/Medium/High Laser Diode output settings are available with a choice of three Dynamic Control modes (Off/Auto 1/Auto 2). Additionally a full manual lens aperture is available for fine brightness adjustment.

High Resolution Lens Dedicated for 4K
An 18 element 16 group all glass lens and full aluminum lens barrel has been specically engineered for the DLA-RS4500's 4K performance. Chromatic aberration and color fringing are minimized even when utilizing lens shift, resulting in precise projection of 4K content. In order to project 4K resolution to every corner of the screen, the new lens diameter is now 100mm, compared to 65mm used in previous JVC projectors. This lens allows a wide shift range of ±100% vertical, ±43% horizontal for a 16:9 image (±40% horizontal for a native 17:9 image).

HDR (High Dynamic Range) Compatible

HDR content such as UHD Blu-ray discs incorporate extended dynamic range, 10bit color and BT.2020 color gamut. This demands exceptional specications and exacting performance from display devices. The DLA-RS4500, employs high native contrast ratio with BT.709 and Digital Cinema Initiative (DCI) color gamut with BT.2020 color mapping, dynamic light source control and high brightness let you experience a full complement of HDR content. HDR content from various sources can be adjusted depending on screen size and screen type based on picture preferences.
Auto HDR Picture Preset. When the projector detects an HDR10 signal it will automatically select the correct picture mode preset. The preset is based on the HDR10 standard, which follows the PQ gamma curve, 1,000nit brightness, and BT.2020 color gamut.
Hybrid Log-Gamma is an additional HDR Gamma mode that is used for live broadcast or streaming events.

Wide Color Gamut Resulting in Vivid Color Images

The new BLU-Escent™ light source and new Cinema Filter achieve over 100% DCI-P3 color space and over 80% coverage of BT.2020 color gamut. The gradation of sky or sea, the various colors of red in a crimson rose, and the countless colors of green of trees can be reproduced more vividly. The DLA-RS4500 reproduces stunning imagery and color when utilizing UHD content.

Luxurious Cabinet Design

The DLA-RS4500 features an all-new cosmetic design, with a symmetrical cabinet that combines aluminum and matte black paint for a luxurious appearance while also reducing reflections. The center-mounted lens is set off from the black body by a gold alumite ring. For cooling, the rear intake/front exhaust fan adapts to the installation environment to maximize its effectiveness, and it employs a professional level air filter that can withstand severe conditions.
Special care has been taken to add functional beauty by applying a texturized matt black finish minimizing visible finger prints during installation as well as in theater reflections.

Next Generation Multiple Pixel Control
The new algorithm has been developed to scale all video to 4K, giving extraordinary detail to all content regardless of source resolution. Native 4K images (up to 4K/60P 4:4:4) may also be fine tuned for the highest projected quality.

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
Great idea. I have always owned a JVC projector going all the way back to DILA G11, what 15 years ago (has it been that long?) and I hope this would bring even more relevant and meaningful posts from video experts to Ultra forum.

And I must post since it's a pleasure to beat @Seegs108 to an important JVC thread :). Kidding aside, I enjoy reading his great input.

#8 ·
At this stage, not certain how long I'm going to remain an owner with the Z1 so far not stacking up to what most of us anticipated it would be for the price:eek:. Can't see any miraculous software update to get around the shortcomings that's for sure.

Reactions: Woof Woof
#9 · (Edited)
Hey OZ. You have yours on hand already?

Actually, never mind. :) I recall some of your comments. Other than the measurements you were asked to provide, you seemed satisfied with the image. Personally, I'm not buying into the measurements that are being posted until I see some professional feedback from members I feel will provide reliable, non biased feedback and test results. Kris Deering being an example. He's currently working on thorough review and will be providing his feedback and test results soon I believe.

Measurements aside, what issues are you experiencing?

#14 ·
I have got my Z1 delivered very end of last year. Dealer told me that it is one of first seven units shipped from JVC domestically. Like some of you, I replaced Sony VW1100(which was upgraded from VW1000 I got in 2011) with Z1 and I have no regrets or anything. Z1 is far brighter than VW1100 and image is lot sharper(you can tell even from focusing screen), better color reproduction and easier calibration. Downside I can think of is fan noise and heat coming out from chassis, but it is not deal breaker at all.

#15 ·
Let me state this again as a few people seem to be reading into the fact I've still got my 1100 for sale. I'm coming from 2 JVC RS series, both I still own, an RS500 and 600, so the Z1 isn't referenced straight from my usage of the 1100. The 1100 has been out of my HT for nearly a year now after losing its spot to the RS600. So that in itself is very different frame of reference with respect to the Z1 and may have lead to a somewhat different POV/perspective. Having just returned from a few days away at my holiday property and viewing my RS500/X7000, I am even more inclined to say the Z1 isn't enough of an upgrade for the all promises and pitch that JVC put out about it. Also, again with the 600 as reference point its not far brighter, especially in P3 - its substantially worse and that's probably more the deal breaker for me as that was a big part of buying a laser projector. Rec.709 brightness is decent but again, the native contrast sacrifice is neither necessary or worthwhile. Ad to that comparisons already made by Cine4home on motion sharpness vs the X7000 and overall sharpness compared to the VW5000 and things just aren't all that rosy as many of us had anticipated with the Z1.

#17 ·
I'm keeping my Z1 (replacing Sony 1000).

Given the, in some respects deserved, savaging it's getting on the other thread I probably should have returned it and stuck with the Sony for another year or so, but I'm so done with bulbs.

The Z1, for me, represents a few steps forward, a couple of steps backwards, but overall a big upgrade.

If time proves that Sony SXRD no longer degrades (and I think I've seen comments that suggest new models are already showing signs of problems), or JVC deliver a Z2 which gives us everything we wanted from the Z1 then I will happily jump across to whatever comes next, but until then I will enjoy the Z1.

#18 ·
Hopefully my RS4500 ships today. I received my Chief VCM105J mount today. Just need to go buy some unistrut spring nuts and then I can install the mount.

#32 ·
I saw the JVC 4500 in action at Cedia this year, and I must say it was my favorite thing at the show. The demo clips on the 16x9 screen were truly impressive! I was not expecting to see less than optimistic discussions of the projector in the thread, especially since I have been wondering to myself since buying my Epson 10500 what a true 4k laser projector can offer over my $8,000 Faux-K projector. At 4x the price of the Epson and twice the lumens capability, I would have to think that the JVC should be stunning with 4k content.

I was even considering buying a new JVC 4500 just to test out and compare with the Epson in order to satisfy my curiosity.

#33 ·
Some of us are expecting them to arrive this week. I'm hoping mine shows on Friday. Looking forward to getting it set up and share some impressions. I'm confident the projector will look excellent in my room.

#46 ·
I, too, saw the RS4500 at CEDIA and while I thought it threw an incredible picture, compared to an RS500/600, it didn't blow me away. I have seen the Sony 5000 as well (in a couple of dealers and at multiple venues in CEDIA 2016) and it also did not blow me away, and, in fact, I much prefer my RS500 for my screen size (120" width) compared to the 5000.

I suppose if I had a much larger screen, (maybe 14 feet wide), I might have more interest in the technology. I have owned a number of projectors, starting with a Sony 1251 in the early 90's, Runco 980, the original JVC digital (hated it), Marquis 9500 (LOVED it - except for constant tweeting), RS2, RS55, Sony 600ES and now the RS500. This RS500 has brought more to the enjoyment of my theater and it is the only time I have not had any desire to have whatever is considered better. And just as importantly, my wife actually noticed the huge improvement this PJ offered over our previous one.

Eventually the JVC laser technology will get both much more affordable and much better but until then, the RS500/600 is the absolute steal in value of home theater projectors - at least to my eyes.

#49 ·
Possible the Sony 5000 is not appropriate for smaller screens and throws out too much light making the image looked slightly washed out compared to your RS500.

Reactions: Kris Deering
#65 ·
Mine shipped 72 hours ago. I am hoping for Friday, but would not be surprised if it is Monday. :(

#74 ·
Mine arrived - on a pallet. Now I need to recruit a helper to install it - probably tomorrow ( since it's 7pm my time ).
We know what you will be doing this weekend!! Too bad you don't still have your 600 since you would be able to do a very direct comparison!

#91 ·
It's a little dirty in this photo. Sure drives great though - fast, comfortable !
Luckily I have two friends off work today that are coming over shortly to help me install the RS4500 ! :)
Ah the tension/suspension is too much to take. :p
Nice car - I'm always a fan of the Z. Prefer red though :).

#81 ·
I have mentioned this before, but as a reminder, when the RS4500 is in HDR mode, (no filter in place) you are not getting Rec709 color. You are getting how ever wide the color space is without the filter. Someone should be able to measure what you are getting with the RS4500. It will be wider than Rec709.

#84 ·
Well, although I had planned on picking up one of the 4500's, I decided to wait for a while to see if JVC fixes some of the issues with an updated unit.
If the fan noise wasn't so high after it running for a while, would have bought one.
Just didn't want to take the chance as it is quite an investment to have and not be 100% happy with. Then there is the hassle of selling it at a loss and replace it with someone other brand projector.
Yes, I could have gotten one of the latest JVC E-shift units, but wanted to stick with a true 4k projector, so the 675es is on the way.
Since the new Sony projector has a planned release of 1/2018, will see what happens between now and then.
In the meanwhile, the 675es will replace the 1100es to hold me over, and will sell the 675es when I pick up the new Sony or an updated JVC.

Meantime...

#93 · (Edited)
Well I finally have one to compare to my Sony 5000ES and my JVC RS600.
Brilliant Chris. Been waiting for this! Don't be shy posting your findings! ;) :)

I'm kinda hoping you will be reporting that it nicely fills a space somewhere between the two (bar WCG) given that's where its price is situated :)

#95 ·

lol.. probably not.. I suspect the Z1 will sit nicely at it's price point. I never anticipated it would be a 5000 killer. Being realistic. It's almost twice the price @ retail.

#102 · (Edited)
That would be great! Just so you know both Mark_H and I are SONY 1000/1100ES owners, so not SONY bashing, but genuine concern as existing SONY customers... ;) So it would be brilliant to see this absolutely definitive confirmation to which you refer that the concern with respect to the reported SXRD panel degradation does not apply to the SONY 5000ES... Do you have an ETA regarding this? :)