AVS Forum banner

Mouse House Theater

18K views 114 replies 24 participants last post by  Art Sonneborn 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I will be sharing information on the completion of our theater. Barb and I are both huge Mickie and Minnie fans in particular and Disney in general, thus the reason for the name. I originally had the theater designed in 2008 by Dennis Erskine. The room was built by Dennis Erskine and his team in 2011, but I never had the time to get all of the electronics and projector installed. I actually have a DPI Titan HC that I never installed Around April of this year I decided two things:

1. I was never was going to get it done by myself
  2. I really wanted to make both the audio and video experience exceptional

Dennis Erskine and Adam Pelz started working on the audio upgrade designs, and I started looking at projector options. I seriously considered the Sony, VPL VW5000ES but due to the screen size in my room and the Sony not having a long throw lens made the Sony impractical. I was hoping to find something that met my image quality desires and had the lens options I needed. I looked at the DPI Insight 4K laser, the JVC 4500, the Sony again, I could make the Sony work if I went with a larger sreen, but that meant I would be at the max throw distance which would result in too much light loss. I also looked at the Barco Woden, and the Barco Thor. I went to at least r demos in addition to Peter's private demo and Barb and I were amazed. Alan Gouger graciously hosted us at his home to see the Cinemeccanica laser projector. While not as good as the Thor it too looked amazing. After many conversations with Peter, Alan, Wolfgang, Dennis and Adam, I decided to go with the new Barco Thor based on the DP4K-30L projector. I will be getting one of the first production units of this Thor model. I After reading the Wolfgang's journey as Barco refined this product, Alan's comments on his thoughts with the latest update and a few messages he and I have exchanged I am really excited.

I never intended to spend anywhere this much money on the theater upgrade. The upgrade is also a gift Barb and I are giving ourselves after I survived Lymphona. It was all possible because of the Lord and him pointing me to a truly amazing medical team.

I am guessing the projector will show up sometime in April. There is MUCH to do to get prepared for the theater upgrade. I will post more tomorrow on what all needs to be done, and what all is being upgraded.

Bryan

See less See more
#3 ·
Hello All,

The upgrade is also a gift Barb and I are giving ourselves after I survived Lymphona. It was all possible because of the Lord and him pointing me to a truly amazing medical team.

Bryan
Bryan,
Congratulations on the recovery - life is very short... and people like you who go through such a life changing experience appreciate how important today is...

I am also interested in the DP3K - 30L Thor based - any chance if can give me the dimensions and weight of the projector and the chiller I will appreciate it very much.

Installing this in my theater Lobby will surely wreck the looks but the more I think of it - this could be the best long term video solution.

And please post pictures of your theater when you can...

Thanks in advance.

Ash

#5 ·
I am also interested in the DP4K - 30L Thor based - any chance if can give me the dimensions and weight of the projector and the chiller I will appreciate it very much.
Ash,

Thank you for the nice note. Attached is the spec sheet on the DP4K-30L. A couple of things to note:

1. 1) The projector does take 3phase poser. 3 Phase Power is not normally available in a residence so you will need a converter. I am using an all solid state unit to convert from normal single/2 phase into 3 phase from a company called Phase Perfect. I will post more details.
  2. The chiller can use 3 phase poser but it is not required.
  3. I am installing a 3phase power converter, and I am running the chiller off of single phase 240 VAC

I will post photos one night this week of the theater as it stands.

Bryan

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
We have a new BARCO LASER expert on board. Welcome!:D

I invited Adam to join the Expert Viewers Club Curated Laser tour (as long as he can get a couple of passes from QSC my vendors are holding theirs to the chest). March 28-30 where we commadeer a brrnd new DP4KL40HC for 45 minutyes after hours to play UHD BD mastered in 4k and Grabbing the edge of your seat 3-D clips demo a la CEDIA 2015.

GC's EVC entourage in alphabetic order
Adam
Ash
Brad
Bryan (lost you on an earlier post loss)
Greg
John (GC's EE)
Uwe

In spirit and living vicariously through bespoke Cub Tour Impression Youtubes:
Alan
Art
Henley
Jeff
Murat
Robert ( The GD)

I WILL RELEASE THE ACTIVITIES PLANNED WITH ALL THE VENDORS WHICH INCLUDES IMMERSIVE AUDIO AND A GRAND FINALE AT A SPECIAL 14 F-STOP HDR SCREENING AT DOLBY CINEMA IN 2 WEEKS OR SO.

#10 ·
Today I learned that it is best to power both the Projector and Chiller off of 3 phase power. Also in researching the projector I found out the difference between Y and Delta 3 phase power configuration. With a Y configuration, it requires less power on paper but after talking with Phase Perfect they informed me I would need to get an external transformer to create a neutral path. The Phase Perfect 3 phase convertor does not natively provide the Neutral line needed for a Y configuration. I also looked at more traditional 3 phase converters which use a motor generator to generate the 3rd phase. Unfortunately it takes about 10 amps to power the motor generator, and there is noise from the motor generator so I decided to pass on that option. I found Phase Perfect who does the 3 Phase conversion with some electronic magic (Now I wish I would have taken a high voltage class when studying electrical engineering - NOT) to generate the 3rd phase very efficiently. Due to having to run both projector and chiller on 3 phase I had to buy the PT-355 unit go provide sufficient 3 phase Delta power. Now I have to decide whether I am going to upgrade my generator so I can continue to power the theater and other critical elements during a power outage. Darn this hobby is expensive.:eek:.

Now off to getting a bid for the mini split for the projection / equipment room.

More info to come.

Attachments

#11 ·
Hi Brian

Wow! That is going to be some install!!

Looking forward to reading about it and installation of this monster sized projector.

I wonder about running such on a generator... I have a whole house generator (25kW) that runs my whole house (inc AC units, etc), the power is not 'clean', the lights can flicker a little, the phasing causes my furnace fans to make an odd sound, I wonder if you want the theater on generator for fear of causing some sort of damage? My PJ is on a large battery back up so if power is lost, I can at least run the PJ fan to cool it down as we wait out the power outage. Just food for thought..

Congrats on the big move (and a return to health)! Nice meeting you two at CEDIA!

#12 · (Edited)
US consumer homes, where they as standard have huge Amperage single phase hook ups, at low voltage, as an option. If you add electric cooking and perhaps some other high power three phase appliances, one quickly moves from 25Amp 230V single phase to 3x 25Amp main lead. Then 3x35, those two aren't that much more, but higer 3 phase hook-ups get more small business rates=more expensive annual/monthly service fees.

If you go all electric you need a lot of peak amperage and electric waterheating still works best on 3-phase anyway.

120V has an advantage in lighting, lamps both old and new perform better in 120 than in 230.

Have you even asked Illinois Municipal Electric Agency (IMEA). Waterloo’s Electric Department if they could and would provide you with three phase power?

#14 ·
Hi All,

I just received notification my Thor will ship on 03/03/2017 and my new screen will ship on 02/28/2017. I have a ton to do to get ready. Some of the work includes:

• Move hot water heater and water softener need to be moved to make room for projector in equipment room / projection room
  • Move the balanced power transformer (The projector is so deep, I need to move to be able to open balanced power transformer cabinet)
  • Get 3 phase power convertor installed, power run to equipment room.
  • Possibly get a new generator.
  • Get 24000 BTU Mini Split installed in equipment room. Projector & Chiller can generate upto 18000 BTU
  • Figure out what to do for HDMI switching. Please see this thread.
  • Others ....

I still need to work with Adam and Dennis to coordinate install dates, and get Crestron programming coordinated.

This is starting to sound like real work. :)

Will update with more details over the weekend.

Bryan

#16 · (Edited)
Current theater pictures (before any of the upgrades)

Current Theater Pictures (before upgrades):

View from the front of the the room to the rear

View from the front of the the room to the rear

View from rear to front

Another view from rear to front

View of the Procella LCR speakers

More to come tomorrow.

Attachments

#19 ·
87"x192", around a 2.2:1 aspect ratio, with 4-way masking.

#23 ·
Wow!! This is going to be a great to watch!

#24 ·
Bryan, the municipality has its own power department, with a direct contact listed for questions, wouldn't hurt to email Bill. Might not even be as big/expensive a job as getting an huge converter installed. On the other hand it might be more trouble, but you'll quickly find out, if it is.

#33 ·
What brand are the theater chairs?[/QUOTE

They are custom. I designed the width, arm rest angles to fit between the steps and in the curved radius of the risers. They were based on a model from United Leather (http://www.unitedleatherusa.com/cinema-styles.html). I don't remember the specific model. They are very good quality. I bought them at Cedia (show special pricing). I dealt with Juan Leon (President) and Shelly Norman (Sales Manager).

Bryan

#32 ·
CHRISTIE RGB Series 3 MINI-LASER has dual hdmi's from the get go

Maybe C has learned their lesson, engineers at NAB last year said they would have it working by last Xmas. They demoed series 300 at Cine Asia this way. In any event hdmi is needed for sayellite broadcasts in the cinema which are becoming hdr

But Tim says it will be ready by May, it is a hugh priority, and it is not following the immediate launch of the Alchemy , it is stable now , so a different situation, it shall be ready come may.

#34 ·
I saw the new Barco DP4K-20LHC (DP4K-30L with the high contrast modifications) at CinemaCon. This is the commercial version, I am getting the residential version (Thor) of this. The picture on a prototype version of this projector was shown at CEDIA and the picture was excellent! The production version they are showing here at CinemaCon is by far the best at the show in my opinion. The blacks are very good and the colors are amazing! I will post picture I took with my iPhone over the weekend.

My projector is in the US and Barco indicated the new Alchemy with HDMI 2.0a is in production and will be delivered when my projector is installed.

Hoping to get installation done sometime in May / June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#35 · (Edited)
I would honestly refuse delivery of the projector if the Alchemy 2.0 board isn't complete.

Barco is notoriously bad about over promising and under delivering.

I bought 2 of the first Alchemy boards when they were released. I was told, the HDMI section would be able to be updated, and that it wouldn't require buying a whole new Alchemy board.

Obviously that didn't happen. I know w.mayer was promised delivery of the Alchemy 2.0 board months and months ago. I believe before October 2016. And the last I heard, they weren't even communicating updates or delivery expectations.

Hopefully they are as close to completion as they say they are, but after I bought 2 Barco 4K DCI units, only to end up going from a quad input SDI Board, to the Doremi IMS, which promised 4k/24 hdmi, and then never delivered, I then had to move to the Alchemy boards. Then it took close to a year before the hdmi 1.4 input would even accept a 4k/24 signal.

Without that new Alchemy board, the projector is severely limited. I learned this lesson the hard way.

Then you have someone like Arnold Chase, with what has to be the largest residential theater in he world. I believe it seats 150 people. He bought a Christie 4K dci unit at least two years ago now, and he still can't show UHD bluray movies. I'm sure when he bought his unit, Christie promised a 4k hdmi input.

At least the Barco original Alchemy hdmi 1.4 input can display UHD bluray movies, but it requires hdcp convertors and other tweaks to deal with the lack of proper handling of HDR and Rec2020.

And 4k/60 hdmi content was completely out of the question for the original Alchemy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#36 ·
Hey I know there are several here that are upset about the delays on the alchemy, but take it from me hdcp2.2 is not a trivial task. In my opinion the fact that they deliver these alchemy's today is very good considering the permutations of interoperability imepediments hdcp 2.2 brings. They have it working on Kelidescape HDR,so it passess with flying colors, as that is the source component from hell that is the most difficult to get to play nice.

I am very happy that indeed Brian's projector looked so good ESPECIALLY IN PERFECT WHITE FIELD UNIFORMITY, the fact is that the thor becomes the Bentley, problem is there is a new mercedes benz in town and is going to kick some major ass.

#37 ·
Hey I know there are several here that are upset about the delays on the alchemy, but take it from me hdcp2.2 is not a trivial task.

No doubt not a trivial task, but W.Mayer took delivery of his unit July 2016.

On August 8th,Barco Residential sent out an email saying they would be showing off the new HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 Alchemy at Cedia, but that didn't happen.

In October 2016, W.Mayer works with Alan and some others to rig a way to feed 4k/24 UHD bluray with a Lumagen and I'm sure an HDFury to convert the HDCP 2.2 to 1.4. The Lumagen allowed him to pass Rec2020 and HDR to a HDMI 1.4 device that doesn't recognize those flags.

Then he post they will have him the new board in January 2017, after it wasn't ready when they did his other upgrades converting his unit to a full "Thor" model in October 2016.

Here we are now at April 2017, and quickly closing in on a year since he took delivery and a full 8 months since the Alchemy unit was suppose to be ready by Cedia 2016.

Anyways, at least it sounds like they are getting close, but for a projector of this caliber and cost, Barco shouldn't be making promises they can't keep.

That was my biggest frustration with my 4K-23B and 4K-P.

I can't wait to see your theater come together! No doubt the Thor is one of the best projectors money can buy.

It would just suck to spent that kind of money, and find yourself unable to view the UHD content. With the amount of UHD bluray movies, along with 4k Netflix and 4K Amazon original shows, I find myself watching more and more 4K content every week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#39 ·
Hi All,

Steve Kujala is onsite ripping out the current screen wall, installing the new larger screen, additional height and width speakers. Adam Pelz arrives Friday to begin installing all of the electronics, Thor, and calibrating. I have some friends coming on Saturday to carry the beast (Thor) from the garage to the equipment room. Electrician comes Saturday afternoon to hookup power to the projector and chiller. Pictures and more details to come.

Mini split was installed today for equipment room.

New balanced power system and three phase power conditioner were installed earlier this month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.