Alcons.... Did it again. Amazing demo - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 156Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 184 Old 09-14-2017, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mmiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Delaware
Posts: 3,431
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 255
This is a sad state of affairs. Educated, professional, industry respected, forum respected and financially well healed (for many) grown men get to this level.

I always thought most disputes between friend and neighbors come from indifference regarding kids and pets. It appears we must now add home theater equipment to the list of pressure points for confrontation.

I have met and have known a few you. It seems some morph into 6'7" 250lb 10th degree black belt when behind a keyboard. Everyone has an opinion formed by what the feel is valid logic and experience. Just accept it and move on.

Mike Miles
mmiles is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 184 Old 09-14-2017, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Lasalle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
One thread with Gary Reber of Widescreen Review was published as an article by yours truly in Widescreen Review! That's one more article than Peter has ever had!
Really!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WSR.PNG
Views:	78
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	2282986  
mburnstein and Reddig like this.
Lasalle is offline  
post #153 of 184 Old 09-14-2017, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North TX
Posts: 2,324
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 688
This thread is way off course. I don't understand the attacks. I am a little guilty but apologized. I don't see any value here now.

Peter is a bit eccentric, but I assure you he is passionate. Does he make bold claims, yes. Does it really matter, not sure but not to me. Some of what he has said is 100% true and still off the wall. It may all be true but yet skewed by perception? I don't know. You mentioned Gary Reber and when I saw Gary with Peter, it seemed to me they had been acquaintances for years with much respect for each other. When Gary made a fabulous Auro 3D audio track, he put it right in Peter's hands and Peter shared graciously. For the theaters Peter posts on, I see images of either him or his well known colleges in the rooms working. Before I gave Peter a substantial amount of my hard earned money, I dug and found nothing but truths for what I was looking for. As a dealer, I have had no equal in my 24 years of this hobby. That includes VERY reputable people and some who were personal friends of mine. Peter wins, hands down. If anything went wrong, and as Murphy would have it, some things did, Peter fought tooth and nail to fix it.

Finally, and I promise this is not meant as an attack, but why do you (@Steve Bruzonsky) keep bringing up you being an attorney as useful to anything in this thread?

Last edited by thxman; 09-14-2017 at 06:23 PM.
thxman is online now  
 
post #154 of 184 Old 09-14-2017, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 9,610
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2227 Post(s)
Liked: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanpino View Post
How would you compare what you saw to other video demos at Cecia? JVC, DPI, Sony, Espon
To be honest, I thought the faux k DLPs looked better than I was expecting. That said, they are lacking in on/off cr and that immediately stands out except on animation.

Sony was better than I was expecting as well. If buying now, then I would still be looking at JVC. I can't get past SURE pricing.
ccool96 and Reddig like this.

Current projector - JVC RS25 and Marantz VP15S1
Future projector - pre-ordered new JVC from AVScience
Ericglo is offline  
post #155 of 184 Old 09-14-2017, 06:28 PM
Senior Member
 
kyzer soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 157
A few comments about my time in Alcons room friday morning. These are all my humble opinion fyi.

1. The amount of time it took to start the demo was frustrating. I don't know the man's name but he talked about the alcons system for atleast 40 min before he would even start the demo. Not only that, he took a few shots at other speaker companies (not a fan of that) it just felt uncalled for. I feel like they should've let the speakers speak for themselves and then after the demo give all the little details.

2. Because he took so long and talked up the Alcon system my expectations were even higher. Those expectations were not met and it was disappointing.

3. I don't know the technical jargon when it comes to Projectors/screen but the picture looked washed out. Their were constant freezing, jitters right when each demo started and during playback. Their was a greenish tint on every video and it looked out of focus on every demo (Mad Max looked the best). It was very distracting.

4. The audio was ok, like i mentioned earlier I expected to be wowed and i wasn't. I thought the heights sounds excellent some of the best i've heard.

I found it interesting how the guy sitting next to me (he's a very well known member here) raved about how amazing the system sounded two days in a row and I thought it was just ok. Maybe I expected to much? I'm not sure......

I really hope to hear alcons system again.

@thxman I really wanna hear your setup *hint hint wink wink*. The NAD amp you sold me is still going strong

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Klipsch atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
NAD M25
Rythmik FV15HP
kyzer soze is online now  
post #156 of 184 Old 09-14-2017, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 18,474
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburnstein View Post
be a Giver, Taker!!
"The Giver" was a good movie with Jeff Bridges. Don't recall any "The Taker"!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #157 of 184 Old 09-14-2017, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North TX
Posts: 2,324
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer soze View Post

I really hope to hear alcons system again.

@thxman I really wanna hear your setup *hint hint wink wink*. The NAD amp you sold me is still going strong
Hello sir, I certainly remember you and am very glad that the NAD is working out well. I remember when I thought I would be seeking another one for Atmos. As for hearing my setup, if you are ever in the Dallas area, give me a text/call/PM and you are more than welcome to come by. I enjoyed our HT talks during our transaction. I am sorry you did not enjoy the demo, but it is what it is.
thxman is online now  
post #158 of 184 Old 09-14-2017, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 18,474
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalle View Post
Really!
Woops! You got me! Peter (Cineramax) and I are tied.

Seriously! All of Peter's braggado just hits me the wrong way and I find it hard to believe what! The fact that this article is in Widescreen Review does give him SOME credibility. I say some because all of his namedropping from 20 years ago that based on his advise X did Y is just too much at times to swallow! I guess that's the way he is! If someone wants to have him do their theatre that is their perogative, just like preferring different wines, hot cars, hot gals, speakers, etc.

I used to be able to Google the AVS Special Guests forum, but apparently AVS Forum no longer maintains the old sites.

You can access the Tweaks forum that I started, with the Special Guest feature for maybe 6 months until the AVS Special Guests forum was started, because its still an active forum here at AVS Forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/28-twe.../index190.html

My memory ain't what it used to be. My Widescreen Review article was interviewing Greg Rogers. Here it is if anyone wants to buy for $3 the back issue (Mark Burnstein will):

http://shop.widescreenreview.com/pro...r-2002%29.html

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #159 of 184 Old 09-14-2017, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North TX
Posts: 2,324
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
My memory ain't what it used to be. My Widescreen Review article was interviewing Greg Rogers. Here it is if anyone wants to buy for $3 the back issue (Mark Burnstein will):

http://shop.widescreenreview.com/pro...r-2002%29.html
The A/V home theater industry is VERY different from 2002 as well.
Reddig likes this.
thxman is online now  
post #160 of 184 Old 09-14-2017, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ivanpino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,393
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterc613 View Post
I'm surprised that Ivan didn't like the system. I've had the privilege of hearing his theater at AVS get togethers and I can vouch he has one of the best sounding home theaters that I've heard in Los Angeles. Our shop gets called out to participate in some really high budget projects in Beverly Hills, Bel Aire and Encino. Ivan's theater is so well designed that it sounds better than many of the systems where clients have spent 5-10 times as much
Peter thank you for the kind words. I hope you come visit again on our next GTG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterc613 View Post
Frankly it floored me how good the Alcon's sounded. The Mad Max Dolby demo disc clip had sounds, voices and imaging that I've never heard with any other system. In fact I went back three times to refresh my point of reference to what I was hearing elsewhere on the show floor. The sound did get progressively better by Saturday. It is true that the system lacked impact between 10 Hz - 30 Hz but I attribute this to the size and shape of the room and the fact that I think the Alcon subs are tuned around 35 Hz. The sound was fairly bright, but not unreasonably so. I'm sure if they had more time to tune the room with a working Trinnov unit that objection by some would be rectified.
Peter I was actually surprised to see your there. Maybe because you were saying how good it sounded before it started I thought I was in for real treat and expected more. I was actually more surprised that you liked it that much after hearing it. Maybe it has that Electrostat sound you like, which really has never been my cup of tea. Maybe hearing you and the Rep right before the demo pushed my expectations too high.
ivanpino is online now  
post #161 of 184 Old 09-14-2017, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3,403
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked: 852
what does disney world use? i always leave their shows with a smile

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is online now  
post #162 of 184 Old 09-14-2017, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Peter M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,683
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Honestly, when I go to these demos I am analyzing the main vendor. In this case, I was listening to the audio.
If I'm at a demo for the audio, I normally close my eyes. I find video to be incredibly distracting if I'm really trying to focus on the audio.

Cheers,
thxman and Ericglo like this.
Peter M is offline  
post #163 of 184 Old 09-14-2017, 11:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 18,474
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
The A/V home theater industry is VERY different from 2002 as well.
Excellent sounding audio, whether two channel or multi-channel or home theater, still is based on preferences, experiences, etc.

Back in 2000-2003 when I attended CES every year, DTS every year put on a great demo, using stacked CRT projectors (technology sure has changed), with JBL speakers and subwoofers, and always sounded excellent and they played movie clips. Back in the days of lowly Dolby Digital and DTS, l ossy, not lossless. DTS always knew how to set up a room to get the most out of the system and the sound was outstanding and to my knowledge no one I know ever complained of harshness. way too loud, etc.

Yea, a lot has changed, but a lot has stayed the same as far as what makes excellent audio, at least in my book, to each his own.

Not like I've been doing nothing on audio and home theater since 2003. Just not moderating, instead having fun with audio and video!

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #164 of 184 Old 09-15-2017, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
Lasalle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Woops! You got me! Peter (Cineramax) and I are tied.

The fact that this article is in Widescreen Review does give him SOME credibility.
I think you missed the real irony of this post and Peter's article. Aside from it being in WSR, Gary had Peter write the article because the 2015 CEDIA Barco/Alcons demo was the best high end theater experience he had witnesses at the time. Peter posted several video's of Gary's rave reviews from both the 2015 and 2016 Barco/Alcon's demo's at CEDIA. In 2016 Gary specifically brought his freshly minted Auro3D bluray jazz recording for a special listening session on the Alcons. He was very impressed and said so. I believe @thxman was there as well. In my discussions with Gary, I would consider him to be a true audiophile with similar tastes to mine.
mburnstein, thxman and Reddig like this.
Lasalle is offline  
post #165 of 184 Old 09-15-2017, 06:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Lygren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer soze View Post
A few comments about my time in Alcons room friday morning. These are all my humble opinion fyi.

1. The amount of time it took to start the demo was frustrating. I don't know the man's name but he talked about the alcons system for atleast 40 min before he would even start the demo. Not only that, he took a few shots at other speaker companies (not a fan of that) it just felt uncalled for. I feel like they should've let the speakers speak for themselves and then after the demo give all the little details.

2. Because he took so long and talked up the Alcon system my expectations were even higher. Those expectations were not met and it was disappointing.

3. I don't know the technical jargon when it comes to Projectors/screen but the picture looked washed out. Their were constant freezing, jitters right when each demo started and during playback. Their was a greenish tint on every video and it looked out of focus on every demo (Mad Max looked the best). It was very distracting.

4. The audio was ok, like i mentioned earlier I expected to be wowed and i wasn't. I thought the heights sounds excellent some of the best i've heard.

I found it interesting how the guy sitting next to me (he's a very well known member here) raved about how amazing the system sounded two days in a row and I thought it was just ok. Maybe I expected to much? I'm not sure......

I really hope to hear alcons system again.

@thxman I really wanna hear your setup *hint hint wink wink*. The NAD amp you sold me is still going strong
That guy talking was Tom Back, co-founder and CEO of Alcons Audio... By other words, you were in for a treat! He can get a bit carried away at times though, but although I have listened to his presentation a number of times I find them just as intriguing every time - this guy is really a mastermind of audio - it´s kind of like listening to Elon Musk - another great mastermind - which I believe is one of our times smartest and most innovative fellas - endless technical capability but also so enthusiastic about what he is saying that time schedules are not always first priority (and for good reason)...

I am sure this Alcons presentation will incrementally improve each and every year and all input is gratefully taken into consideration. As for the projection system, we will certainly look into that too. While audio is Alcons main concern, it is not in anyones interest that people are thrown off the immersive wagon in terms of inferior image quality, and as the projection screen supplier I guess I have to say it is in my outmost interest to make sure the projection system is of the most capable sort...
thxman and Reddig like this.

Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!
Founder AVforum.no // Norway´s leading AV community since 2002

Last edited by Lygren; 09-15-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Lygren is online now  
post #166 of 184 Old 09-15-2017, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 18,474
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
IF i AM A LIAR YOU ARE AN AMBULANCE CHASER! Oh Wait?!
https://youtu.be/VMzfrod7hcE

The events of what transpired after stereophile 94 forever changed the course of home theater (i thought, till hdr wcg vindicated my IP), it also affected my marriage because of the transfer of knowledge sucked the wealth out of my gravytrain, in a very very sly and underhanded manner. Don't you know when to stop when you are stooping low enough? YOU ARE ON IGNORE.THE MOST CHILDISH ATTORNEY IN THE WORLD.
Retired ambulance chaser for the most part!@@@
mburnstein and CINERAMAX like this.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #167 of 184 Old 09-15-2017, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 18,474
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalle View Post
I think you missed the real irony of this post and Peter's article. Aside from it being in WSR, Gary had Peter write the article because the 2015 CEDIA Barco/Alcons demo was the best high end theater experience he had witnesses at the time. Peter posted several video's of Gary's rave reviews from both the 2015 and 2016 Barco/Alcon's demo's at CEDIA. In 2016 Gary specifically brought his freshly minted Auro3D bluray jazz recording for a special listening session on the Alcons. He was very impressed and said so. I believe @thxman was there as well. In my discussions with Gary, I would consider him to be a true audiophile with similar tastes to mine.
I haven't had time to read the article.

Aside from the Widescreen Review article published of my interview with Greg Rogers, back about that same year a few friends and I (I know its hard to believe, but I have friends) traveled out to demo Widescreen Review's then system (demoing D-VHS). Very, very nice system. I have no doubt that my tastes in audio are very much like Gary Reber's. If Gary said that about the 2015 demo I unqualifiedly believe it - but thats not what I heard this year at all, and many other folks confirm. Again, just cause I felt the demo sucked this year, that's all it means, it sucked this year when I attended the demo, and the folks running the demo admitted that the problems I heard on Thursday's demo were real! Thank you for pointing this out.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #168 of 184 Old 09-15-2017, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ivanpino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,393
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
True, there is nothing worse than a great immersive system thrown piecemeal all over the state of Florida, but the best systems on the planet that are well documented i have done, or I am doing; show me a system remotely close. The runway ahead to the the next most capable integrator is decades away. That is no exaggeration.
Sounds like word salad to me. Can someone translate?
ivanpino is online now  
post #169 of 184 Old 09-15-2017, 09:06 AM
 
CINERAMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 17,735
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1296
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Cool More of a worm salad...

te lo explico en castellano entonces, el sistema mio Dynaudio i ATI está separado en diferentes ciudades de la florida, por el huracán, so en mi caso siempre habla el que menos puede, el punto tuyo. Mi systema exploto. So hablo con autoridad mientras sin systema, Me Pillaste! Lo que tu dijiste.

Before Irma
After Irma tcl 55 and dyn minimonitors.

Lo de la pista de despegue, es el tiempo que le tomara al próximo competidor mio a poder alcanzar el nivel the immersion cuan yo presentemente poseo los conocimientos para ejecutar.

Para que sepas El Cinema entro a las américas por dos puntos: Lumiere Nueva York Y Lumiere Havana, el mundo de hom theater ES EL RESULTADO DE LA PRIMERA interjección, pero también mis experimentos son Parte de el american Home theater. Orgulloso de ser la persona que salvo del comunismo la INMENSA TECNOcultural legacia de cine, musica y television cubana, lo vengo perfeccionando por 42 AÑOS pero la decisión fue tomada hace 50 años cuando primero vi a los jetsons con las pantallas gigantes en los penthouses, yo amo el mundo de la inmersión más que mis hijos, y estoy orgulloso que mucho de lo que the puedo enseñar en revistas y fotos de esta aventura, todo ese cuerpo de trabajo es súbitamente util e indispensable en el nuevo mundo de Imágenes y campos acústicos personales de máxima verosimilitud.

Todas esas décadas en las cuales yo labore, pensando de que no iban a tener utilidad futura, ahora son como pistas de HOT Wheels que me separan a la vanguardia décadas en respecto al que me viene siguiendo. Esto sucedio este ano. Por eso sueno tan contento he entusiasmado.

NOW GOOGLE TRANSLATE.
I explain it to you in Castilian then, my system Dynaudio & ATI is separated in different cities of florida, by the hurricane, so in my case always speaks the one that can least, the very point you made. My system is no more. You caught me speaking with authority while without a system. Busted

The runway is the time it will take the next competitor of mine to be able to reach the immersion level that I presently possess the knowledge to execute. traditionally this has been 1.5 years to 3 years ahead, now it really feels like 30 years. Bold Claim I know, but i do not lie.

So that you know Cinema entered the Americas by two points: Lumiere New York and Lumiere Havana, the world of home theater as you know it IS THE RESULT OF THE FIRST interjection, but also my experiments are part contributions of the American Home Theater. Proud of being the person who saved the IMMENSE TECHNO cultural legacy of Cuban cinema, music and television engineering, I have been perfecting it for 42 YEARS but the decision was taken 50 years ago when I first saw the jetsons with the giant screens in the penthouses, I love the world of immersion more than my children, and I am proud that much of what I now show from dusty old magazines and photos of this adventure, all that body of work is suddenly useful and indispensable in the new world of HDR WCG Images and personally enveloping soundfields of maximum verisimilitude.

All those decades in which my work techniques collected dust, thinking that they were not going to have future utility, all of a sudden this year are now as tracks of HOT Wheels that when assembled become a formidable runway separating me at the forefront decades in relation to the next follower. This happened this year. That is why I sound so happy and enthusiastic. I am close to living the dream after 50 years of dreaming it Sep 17, but you are right my system sucks, for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tcl 55 and 2 old dyn minimonitors.JPG (462.2 KB, 332 views)
mburnstein likes this.

Last edited by CINERAMAX; 09-15-2017 at 10:13 AM.
CINERAMAX is offline  
post #170 of 184 Old 09-15-2017, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
Lasalle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygren View Post
That guy talking was Tom Back, co-founder and CEO of Alcons Audio... By other words, you were in for a treat! He can get a bit carried away at times though, but although I have listened to his presentation a number of times I find them just as intriguing every time - this guy is really a mastermind of audio - it´s kind of like listening to Elon Musk - another great mastermind - which I believe is one of our times smartest and most innovative fellas - endless technical capability but also so enthusiastic about what he is saying that time schedules are not always first priority (and for good reason)...

I am sure this Alcons presentation will incrementally improve each and every year and all input is gratefully taken into consideration. As for the projection system, we will certainly look into that too. While audio is Alcons main concern, it is not in anyones interest that people are thrown off the immersive wagon in terms of inferior image quality, and as the projection screen supplier I guess I have to say it is in my outmost interest to make sure the projection system is of the most capable sort...
I think next year it would be good to have one "adudiophile" session each day, I think that may have been the plan this year but it was overcome by Tinnov issues. Last year we had those evening music sessions, I think a lower db version of that with really good hirez recordings would be great. I would definitely try and play a few cut's of Gary Reber's Auro3D recording.
Lygren likes this.
Lasalle is offline  
post #171 of 184 Old 09-15-2017, 11:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Lygren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Alcons.... Did it again. Amazing demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalle View Post
I think next year it would be good to have one "adudiophile" session each day, I think that may have been the plan this year but it was overcome by Tinnov issues. Last year we had those evening music sessions, I think a lower db version of that with really good hirez recordings would be great. I would definitely try and play a few cut's of Gary Reber's Auro3D recording.

Completely agreed, and Peter did try to send us some musical content in such regards by the way which I am sure would have sounded great, but we were simply too occupied with getting the system running... We did run some audio though, but that noisy room AC resonance issue (it was really horrible) basically killed off all 'drum' beats we came across. Basically we would have had to listen through the stuff first to see how it sounded given the limitations of the room, but again; all the issues we had with the Trinnov left no time for just about any testing / adjustments...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!
Founder AVforum.no // Norway´s leading AV community since 2002
Lygren is online now  
post #172 of 184 Old 09-15-2017, 12:26 PM
 
CINERAMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 17,735
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1296
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
I love trinnov but in channel sufficient systems..

Look Keith Yates does the bass management in lake processors or something else using the trinnov as decoder front end, adam does the same with qsc, perhaps walter needs to take a similar approach. Although I'm not much for meridian, i could not help get a chuckle that they demoed with two daisy chained marantz feeding their super adc. Chuckle because it was supposed to be a trinnov. But from a show reliability factor solid move. If it renders the 18 channels more or less correctly, the alcons is not a system that needs practically any eq above schroeder.
CINERAMAX is offline  
post #173 of 184 Old 09-17-2017, 09:03 AM
 
CINERAMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 17,735
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1296
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartl007 View Post
Peter, I enjoy your passion and would have loved to meet you in person.

Do you have any experience with PMC speakers? After the dynaudio demo, these were my second favorite audio only system. I was actually fortunate to listen to the PMC demo about 30 minutes prior to going upstairs to the alcons room on Thursday. (PMC played clips at 109 db peaks)

They both played the exact same demo clip from Deadpool (shootout on the freeway) and despite being too loud, in my opinion, the alcons demo lacked dialogue intelligibility from my seating position (back right of center). The bass was less than reference quality as well in the alcons room. (I attended the 4pm Thursday demo with mostly AVS members)

Don't get me wrong, of all the 20+ demos I sat through, they were still top 5 (alcons), but I think there is some room for improvement in the way in which they demo their gear.
Sorry it took awhile, very nice, a bit of mf like a very dry samuray sword cutting the air induced by bryston amps when i auditioned at least a decade ago. that is it. Great woofers.
CINERAMAX is offline  
post #174 of 184 Old 09-17-2017, 09:10 AM
 
CINERAMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 17,735
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1296
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Search Bruzonsky AVS Special Guests Forum and have fun reading hundreds os Special Guest Threads! One thread with Gary Reber of Widescreen Review was published as an article by yours truly in Widescreen Review! That's one more article than Peter has ever had! I'm an attorney, an AV hobbyist totally addicted! With Mark Burnstein having met me on the forum back in 1999 - perhaps when you were in diapers? Back when Xena the Warrior Princess ruled tv!
Hey I have the january 16 on road to cedia alcons demo article, the march 16 road to cedia 6p laser demo article, and several show mentions.

In any event next time i do something worthy i have an open invite as a contributing editor.
CINERAMAX is offline  
post #175 of 184 Old 09-17-2017, 09:30 AM
 
CINERAMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 17,735
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1296
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
This thread is way off course. I don't understand the attacks. I am a little guilty but apologized. I don't see any value here now.

Peter is a bit eccentric, but I assure you he is passionate. Does he make bold claims, yes. Does it really matter, not sure but not to me. Some of what he has said is 100% true and still off the wall. It may all be true but yet skewed by perception? I don't know. You mentioned Gary Reber and when I saw Gary with Peter, it seemed to me they had been acquaintances for years with much respect for each other. When Gary made a fabulous Auro 3D audio track, he put it right in Peter's hands and Peter shared graciously. For the theaters Peter posts on, I see images of either him or his well known colleges in the rooms working. Before I gave Peter a substantial amount of my hard earned money, I dug and found nothing but truths for what I was looking for. As a dealer, I have had no equal in my 24 years of this hobby. That includes VERY reputable people and some who were personal friends of mine. Peter wins, hands down. If anything went wrong, and as Murphy would have it, some things did, Peter fought tooth and nail to fix it.

Finally, and I promise this is not meant as an attack, but why do you (@Steve Bruzonsky) keep bringing up you being an attorney as useful to anything in this thread?
Awh man, don't go putting tears in my eyes, bud. Im humbled. I'm coming to the GTG to finally spin some quad and bringing the kaleidescape too. Please as we get closer keep reminding me as things are a bit crazy after irma, but i am now convinced that your room has many advantages over large ones for ultimate alcons immersion. Thank you for believing in Alcons before anyone elease! Love you Brandon.

To my namesake that mentioned the Martin Logan planar detailed sound on steroids: SPOT ON (great hearing there namesake), without this type of martin logan monolith revelation you do not get phantom imaging as good as with alcons, also the lack of fatigue, as to compression driver speaker lovers, something is wrong with your hearing. sorry. Just kidding.
Lygren likes this.
CINERAMAX is offline  
post #176 of 184 Old 09-17-2017, 03:13 PM
 
CINERAMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 17,735
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1296
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Rob Marti's final Naiad using 3 crmsc and the rest all new speakers

Final positioning to be tweaked to precise angling but close enough.

This is the first order for the new alcons this week. Tuesday another one!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg final alcons using 3 crmsc and the rest new speaker.JPG (221.2 KB, 216 views)
Lygren likes this.
CINERAMAX is offline  
post #177 of 184 Old 09-17-2017, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 18,474
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
Hey I have the january 16 on road to cedia alcons demo article, the march 16 road to cedia 6p laser demo article, and several show mentions.

In any event next time i do something worthy i have an open invite as a contributing editor.
I concede. Your braggado (sometimes questionable?) is overmatched by your professional credentials and experience (not that all of us have to agree with everything you say). That's as close to an apology as you will get and if you attempt to print this and embarrass me further, this post will disappear like the 'old tv show Mission Impossible tapes! I'm afraid I haven't been paying much attention these past years to video, and now after 9.5 years that I am upgrading my video, I went to my first CEDIA and paid attention to stuff including some braggado that rubbed me the wrong way (even if some of it is correct)!

I stand by my criticism of how the Alcons demo sounded when I attended the end of the day Thursday. But I withdraw my comments on the one great Wizard of Home Cinema - the one and only Cineramax! May the force be with you!
mburnstein, CINERAMAX and thxman like this.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #178 of 184 Old 09-18-2017, 12:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North TX
Posts: 2,324
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
I concede. Your braggado (sometimes questionable?) is overmatched by your professional credentials and experience (not that all of us have to agree with everything you say). That's as close to an apology as you will get and if you attempt to print this and embarrass me further, this post will disappear like the 'old tv show Mission Impossible tapes! I'm afraid I haven't been paying much attention these past years to video, and now after 9.5 years that I am upgrading my video, I went to my first CEDIA and paid attention to stuff including some braggado that rubbed me the wrong way (even if some of it is correct)!

I stand by my criticism of how the Alcons demo sounded when I attended the end of the day Thursday. But I withdraw my comments on the one great Wizard of Home Cinema - the one and only Cineramax! May the force be with you!
I really think we all just want the best. I have looked at brands that would have bankrupted me and those that would have yielded little net gain. Once again, I really do 100% respect your feedback from CEDIA 2017. I was not there so I have no idea how it sounded. I was at 2015 and 2016 and can attest that what was provided in a demo space at a convention center and/or hotel is nothing like what can be achieved in a dedicated, well thought out room. True, this applies to any and all speakers, but I really feel for Alcons.well, more so. Why? Well, because they really have developed something special. Where I see soo many other companies extracting the last drop/detail of existing domes and CD tech, I also noticed Alcons pushing for something new. Innovation has and will always spark controversy and rightfully so. We don't want to always just just pass something new as "better". Look at CRT as it was replaced by digital. It was still superior in so many ways compared to digital for many years. Hell, I had a 1999 a Sharpvision pj worth over $9K and it bowed down to most CRTs FP any day of the week but at at over $10K+. I mean CRT FP got me HOOKED!!!. As it would have it, digital projection got cheaper quickly and benefited so many of us over the years. I read so many threads in the early 2000 that laughed about digital (they had some valid points) back then but look where we are today. Innovation is a great thing that (rightfully so) will be met with objection to those who have had an understanding of an industry for so long. Alcons have been around for some time. They have have shook the commercial world of both large venus and dedicated mixing rooms.
Lygren likes this.
thxman is online now  
post #179 of 184 Old 09-18-2017, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 18,474
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
I really think we all just want the best. I have looked at brands that would have bankrupted me and those that would have yielded little net gain. Once again, I really do 100% respect your feedback from CEDIA 2017. I was not there so I have no idea how it sounded. I was at 2015 and 2016 and can attest that what was provided in a demo space at a convention center and/or hotel is nothing like what can be achieved in a dedicated, well thought out room. True, this applies to any and all speakers, but I really feel for Alcons.well, more so. Why? Well, because they really have developed something special. Where I see soo many other companies extracting the last drop/detail of existing domes and CD tech, I also noticed Alcons pushing for something new. Innovation has and will always spark controversy and rightfully so. We don't want to always just just pass something new as "better". Look at CRT as it was replaced by digital. It was still superior in so many ways compared to digital for many years. Hell, I had a 1999 a Sharpvision pj worth over $9K and it bowed down to most CRTs FP any day of the week but at at over $10K+. I mean CRT FP got me HOOKED!!!. As it would have it, digital projection got cheaper quickly and benefited so many of us over the years. I read so many threads in the early 2000 that laughed about digital (they had some valid points) back then but look where we are today. Innovation is a great thing that (rightfully so) will be met with objection to those who have had an understanding of an industry for so long. Alcons have been around for some time. They have have shook the commercial world of both large venus and dedicated mixing rooms.
Congrats. You failed to heed my warning, and now that you have quoted that post beware of a virus that will destroy all date on your computer in 24 hours! Hurry up and back up! HA!
thxman likes this.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #180 of 184 Old 09-18-2017, 01:54 PM
 
CINERAMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 17,735
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 1296
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
For those pondering on the return on investment analysis of the sentinel 3 amp, the same amp module ( comes in a 4pack) you can get a pair of MBL C15's for $25,000, exact same sound, 80% less!
CINERAMAX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off