8Likes

post #1 of 51 Old 09-12-2017, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Dolby Cinema Projectors

Hey guys, i recently read an article on dolby cinema and i was really suprised and overjoyed reading a few things, mainly that the screens have an actual contrast ratio of over 1,000,000:1 and brightness of about 40,000 lumens!! The reason i was excited to hear this was because it shows that we can actually get to such a point with projectors and that the future for projectors looks Bright!!
But since i'm a big lover of home theater, i have a few questions, why is a dolby vision projector such as this one only limited to dolby cinema? Why don't they sell it? And if they would, how much do you think they would charge for it?
Also, since we know that such tech is actually available, why are home theater projectors progressing so slowly and with only minimal improvements for every step up model? I mean we are still in the 5000-ish lumen level when dolby actually is playing with about 40,000! And we have such low contrast levels when dolby have Oled-like blacks and contrast (Atleast if the article is to be believed)!! I mean, isn't the projector at dolby cinema like the pinnacle of projectors for 4k hdr? Since the main tech today is 4k, which they have! HDR, which they have, Dolby Vision, which they have both in terms of i'm sure 100% of rec 2020, and also all the lumens that dolby vision could possibly need!! I mean i don't see it get better until 8k and any other new advancements show up!! So i would be super super happy to keep that projector in my house and not look at the market again until 8k!

So what i'm asking is, why don't projector manufacturers now take that as the end point, and start stepping up projectors with major improvements till in about hopefully 3-5 years they can actually reach the level of the dolby cinema projector?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 09-12-2017, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil0909 View Post
Hey guys, i recently read an article on dolby cinema and i was really suprised and overjoyed reading a few things, mainly that the screens have an actual contrast ratio of over 1,000,000:1 and brightness of about 40,000 lumens!! The reason i was excited to hear this was because it shows that we can actually get to such a point with projectors and that the future for projectors looks Bright!!
But since i'm a big lover of home theater, i have a few questions, why is a dolby vision projector such as this one only limited to dolby cinema? Why don't they sell it? And if they would, how much do you think they would charge for it?
Also, since we know that such tech is actually available, why are home theater projectors progressing so slowly and with only minimal improvements for every step up model? I mean we are still in the 5000-ish lumen level when dolby actually is playing with about 40,000! And we have such low contrast levels when dolby have Oled-like blacks and contrast (Atleast if the article is to be believed)!! I mean, isn't the projector at dolby cinema like the pinnacle of projectors for 4k hdr? Since the main tech today is 4k, which they have! HDR, which they have, Dolby Vision, which they have both in terms of i'm sure 100% of rec 2020, and also all the lumens that dolby vision could possibly need!! I mean i don't see it get better until 8k and any other new advancements show up!! So i would be super super happy to keep that projector in my house and not look at the market again until 8k!

So what i'm asking is, why don't projector manufacturers now take that as the end point, and start stepping up projectors with major improvements till in about hopefully 3-5 years they can actually reach the level of the dolby cinema projector?

Thanks
Albeit I´m sure 40k lumens in combination with 1mill:1 will be a reality some day for us ordinary folks I do think this would take a while... First, Dolby / Christie has patented the tech used to obtain these contrast ratios - basically using a dual set of DMDs for each primary and thus being able to "iris" at a per-pixel-level. Also, that use a dual stack of projectors to maximise output where one is set for optimal black level reproduction and the other for peak brightness.

Other than that, these units are massive in size...

Still, with the deployment of true RGB native lasers in the consumer segment we´d be closer. We would still need an alternative roundabout to the dual DMD as Dolby / Christie seems to want to keep that tech exclusively for Dolby Cinema. Still, when and if panel based screens such as CLEDIS becomes more of a threat, they might choose to deploy the tech into other segments as well as to harvest on the tech as much as possible... It would not help us much to obtain massive light output if the contrast remains at current levels, especially for DLP...

Another tech that might mature is direct scanning RGB laser, but currently at max 50 lumens and 1080P it might take a while...
ARROW-AV likes this.

Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!
Founder AVforum.no // Norway´s leading AV community since 2002
post #3 of 51 Old 09-12-2017, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygren View Post
Albeit I´m sure 40k lumens in combination with 1mill:1 will be a reality some day for us ordinary folks I do think this would take a while... First, Dolby / Christie has patented the tech used to obtain these contrast ratios - basically using a dual set of DMDs for each primary and thus being able to "iris" at a per-pixel-level. Also, that use a dual stack of projectors to maximise output where one is set for optimal black level reproduction and the other for peak brightness.

Other than that, these units are massive in size...

Still, with the deployment of true RGB native lasers in the consumer segment we´d be closer. We would still need an alternative roundabout to the dual DMD as Dolby / Christie seems to want to keep that tech exclusively for Dolby Cinema. Still, when and if panel based screens such as CLEDIS becomes more of a threat, they might choose to deploy the tech into other segments as well as to harvest on the tech as much as possible... It would not help us much to obtain massive light output if the contrast remains at current levels, especially for DLP...

Another tech that might mature is direct scanning RGB laser, but currently at max 50 lumens and 1080P it might take a while...
Thank you for the very informative response. It makes sense why they would do that, but in my opinion it only hurts the projector advancements. So it seems clear that the best and probably only way to bring True 4k HDR with such specs to home theater projectors is by using RGB native laser projectors, any talk of that by manufacturers? I don't think either sony or jvc or any of the other companies are doing that as of yet are they? And if not then exactly what are they waiting for?
Any timeline on when we can see these RGB laser projectors begin rolling out for home theaters?
Thanks

post #4 of 51 Old 09-12-2017, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Thank you for the very informative response. It makes sense why they would do that, but in my opinion it only hurts the projector advancements. So it seems clear that the best and probably only way to bring True 4k HDR with such specs to home theater projectors is by using RGB native laser projectors, any talk of that by manufacturers? I don't think either sony or jvc or any of the other companies are doing that as of yet are they? And if not then exactly what are they waiting for?
Any timeline on when we can see these RGB laser projectors begin rolling out for home theaters?
Thanks
Christie already has a 4k 3-chip DLP RGB laser available for smaller theaters (any very wealthy consumers...) at typically 150K I believe, so they will be available at more feasible prices at some point... The dual DMD is currently at a very early stage I believe, being manually aligned and such, so for now it is probably also a technical reason for it not being available on a more general basis. Sooner or later though, someone might figure out either a way around this patent OR the patent will be made available on a license basis - anyhow - it clearly depicts that there is still room for innovation within projection - problem is - will this innovation make it in time for projectors to survice the TV battle??!! I certainly hope so - the image produced by a high-quality projector on a superbly matte screen in a batcave is bar none as far as I am concerned...
ARROW-AV likes this.

Proudly Representing DreamScreen.no // ScreenAcoustics.com // AT screens & more!
Founder AVforum.no // Norway´s leading AV community since 2002
post #5 of 51 Old 09-12-2017, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygren View Post
Christie already has a 4k 3-chip DLP RGB laser available for smaller theaters (any very wealthy consumers...) at typically 150K I believe, so they will be available at more feasible prices at some point... The dual DMD is currently at a very early stage I believe, being manually aligned and such, so for now it is probably also a technical reason for it not being available on a more general basis. Sooner or later though, someone might figure out either a way around this patent OR the patent will be made available on a license basis - anyhow - it clearly depicts that there is still room for innovation within projection - problem is - will this innovation make it in time for projectors to survice the TV battle??!! I certainly hope so - the image produced by a high-quality projector on a superbly matte screen in a batcave is bar none as far as I am concerned...
Wow i did not know that, any idea of the lumens, contrast, and coverage of dci p3 and rec 2020 for that projector?
I totally agree with you, i really really hope projectors don't dissappear. I can't imagine having a 120 inch tv in my room, it would look horrific! Unless maybe Oled paint can actually become a reality because it's the only alternative to a projector that could be considered

Okay so let me ask you this, where do you see projectors in the next 5 years? In terms of 4k, 8k, hdr, dolby vision, rec 2020, contrast, lumens, black levels, Price...?
post #6 of 51 Old 09-12-2017, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Any idea where Apple was able to source a 4K Dolby Cinema projector with HDMI and Dolby Vision support from? They used it to show off the Apple TV 4K Dolby Vision HDR features.
It is mentioned in the Apple Keynote at about 46:30 min.

I bet Peter would be really interested in such a magical projector....
post #7 of 51 Old 09-12-2017, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Can anyone actually confirm the contrast ratio of Dolby Cinema? How do they perform in the following match ups:

Vs JVC X5/7/9 series D-ILA projectors
Vs Sony VW1000/1100es SXRD projectors
Vs JVC D-ILA Z1 / Sony VW5000es
Vs a top of the line plasma; KRP 500 / ZT60 / VT60 / F8500 / VT50
Vs a top of the line FALD; ZD9, X94E, X94D, K9500, DX900
Vs any OLED

in the following categories: Black level, low mll scenes, native contrast ratio, ANSI contrast ratio...

Before witnessing the VW1000es back when it was first launch I didn't believe projectors could produce anything remotely close to black as I had only experienced regular cinema projectors which look brownish-grey, or cheap school projectors which have like 50:1 contrast or something.

Now that I've seen how good home cinema projectors can get in the black level / contrast department, I've obviously got a new perception of projectors but I am still yet to see good blacks on a very, very large screen.

I can't imagine a 60 ft screen with black levels and contrast ratios anywhere near any of the displays I previously mentioned.

Unfortunately for me we don't have Dolby Cinema in Norway and I can't imagine it arriving anytime soon...
post #8 of 51 Old 09-12-2017, 03:53 PM

With that said I still really love the look of cinema projection - despite their lack of true blacks. Almost worth another topic in itself but I've always wondered how DCI 4K projectors make images look so good with limited contrast; the most important factor of image quality. The cinemas in my country pretty much all use Sony 4K projectors, and they look really good even though the contrast is low (500:1ish range)

So its probably the perfect gamma, 100% DCI-p3 coverage, 0 DeltaE errors, D65 perfectly tracked, excellent video processing?

So if these Dolby Cinema projectors have all of the above but with 10, 20,50 or 100 times the contrast my mind will be blown!!
post #9 of 51 Old 09-12-2017, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post
With that said I still really love the look of cinema projection - despite their lack of true blacks. Almost worth another topic in itself but I've always wondered how DCI 4K projectors make images look so good with limited contrast; the most important factor of image quality. The cinemas in my country pretty much all use Sony 4K projectors, and they look really good even though the contrast is low (500:1ish range)
The last time I looked the Sony 4K digital cinema projectors were claimed to be about 10k:1 on/off CR. ANSI CR is likely more like 500:1, but I wouldn't call that low. Some of the best CRT projectors were around 130:1 ANSI CR, but had great blacks for the time because they had a lot of on/off CR.

--Darin
post #10 of 51 Old 09-12-2017, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 509
I just don't think this will get to us before the direct LED panels take over. It's been around a couple of years now.

Art

post #11 of 51 Old 09-13-2017, 02:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack123 View Post
Any idea where Apple was able to source a 4K Dolby Cinema projector with HDMI and Dolby Vision support from? They used it to show off the Apple TV 4K Dolby Vision HDR features.
It is mentioned in the Apple Keynote at about 46:30 min.

I bet Peter would be really interested in such a magical projector....

I was hoping someone would mention it here. God damn that looked amazing. Although not very keen on the event, my initial thought was they had already installed a CLEDIS until they mentioned the Dolby Projector. That is ONE pj I would love to own.
post #12 of 51 Old 09-13-2017, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp View Post
The last time I looked the Sony 4K digital cinema projectors were claimed to be about 10k:1 on/off CR. ANSI CR is likely more like 500:1, but I wouldn't call that low. Some of the best CRT projectors were around 130:1 ANSI CR, but had great blacks for the time because they had a lot of on/off CR.

--Darin
I see.

My point was that the Sony DCI projectors have unimpressive contrast ratios with even less impressive total black levels (can't really call them black at this point) Similar to that of a plasma from 2006 or something. But the picture is still really good, sharp and crisp. Which to me can only mean that they excel in every other factor of picture quality; gamma, colour, resolution, motion, video processing etc.

Do these Dolby Cinemas REALLY have "true blacks" and/or "million to one" contrast ? I won't believe it til I see it haha.
post #13 of 51 Old 09-13-2017, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes apparently the dolby cinemas really do have REAL blacks, to the point where at the demo they bring up a blank screen, which makes you think they've actually switched off the projector, and then they bring up the text, "And yes, the projector is still on." That's how awesome it is, that's why i'm really going crazy about that projector, i don't know why the JVCs, and the Sony's and the Epson's aren't already rolling out RGB laser projectors which now seem like the best, and probably only way to do real HDR to go along with 4k.

To answer snell's question, there is no projector on the market which can compare to this dolby vision projector, the sony hw5000es e.t.c are all like 100 times below this projector
post #14 of 51 Old 09-13-2017, 03:46 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
I just don't think this will get to us before the direct LED panels take over. It's been around a couple of years now.

Art
You're right. But aside from that, there are also issues with the product as is as far as home theater/cinema usage is concerned. We had opportunity to pursue a domestic iteration of the Dolby Cinema projector with Christie and we ended up declining, for a variety of reasons. But we do suggest to Christie that given professional cinema is inevitably going the way of giant video walls they should develop a domestically-viable projector that makes use of the technology which is suitable for selling into the high-end home theater/cinema industry. It's a niche market but so's the market into which the existing Dolby Cinema projector is sold into... there most certainly is a demand for a very high performing high value HT projector. Suffice to say, they'd be a queue to buy one and you wouldn't be the only one in it Art, we would, and even I myself for my own personal home theater/cinema ! But with respect to the existing product, even if Christie somehow enabled HDMI connectivity, there's further issues that make it non-viable as far as domestic use is concerned. The light source isn't sealed for starters. Like I said we looked into it.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 09-13-2017 at 03:56 AM.
post #15 of 51 Old 09-13-2017, 03:50 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Yes apparently the dolby cinemas really do have REAL blacks, to the point where at the demo they bring up a blank screen, which makes you think they've actually switched off the projector, and then they bring up the text, "And yes, the projector is still on." That's how awesome it is, that's why i'm really going crazy about that projector, i don't know why the JVCs, and the Sony's and the Epson's aren't already rolling out RGB laser projectors which now seem like the best, and probably only way to do real HDR to go along with 4k.

To answer snell's question, there is no projector on the market which can compare to this dolby vision projector, the sony hw5000es e.t.c are all like 100 times below this projector
Well at it happens... they are! There are indeed RGB laser projectors in the works, and true RGB too!

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 09-13-2017 at 03:56 AM.
post #16 of 51 Old 09-13-2017, 04:29 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
I see.

My point was that the Sony DCI projectors have unimpressive contrast ratios with even less impressive total black levels (can't really call them black at this point) Similar to that of a plasma from 2006 or something. But the picture is still really good, sharp and crisp. Which to me can only mean that they excel in every other factor of picture quality; gamma, colour, resolution, motion, video processing etc.

Do these Dolby Cinemas REALLY have "true blacks" and/or "million to one" contrast ? I won't believe it til I see it haha.
The problem is that you won't "see" it in any commerical cinema because of the high ambient light levels of the safety lighting, such as stairwell and exit lighting, bouncing off the screen and lowering the contrast... unfortunately safety regulations are the enemy of optimum video performance... for example in the AMC Dolby Cinemas that I have attended these had red LED stair lighting firing directly towards the screen and red LED exit lighting either side adjacent to the screen, the result of which is that the whole image has a significant red push especially with respect to the left and right lower quadrants of the screen and projected image... Furthermore, for obvious reasons the black levels suffered the consequences as well... Hence, in reality you aren't going to be view anything like the reported contrast performance unfortunately, but that's not the fault of Christie or Dolby, it's the stupid health and safety regulations and stupid room design by AMC... and unfortunately 99% of the Dolby Cinemas in the United States are AMC... Perhaps try China?

post #17 of 51 Old 09-13-2017, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
So sad since this is the thing that makes home projection less than ideal but this is the only single technology that would allow us to have our cake and eat it too.

Art
ARROW-AV likes this.

post #18 of 51 Old 09-13-2017, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
The problem is that you won't "see" it in any commerical cinema because of the high ambient light levels of the safety lighting, such as stairwell and exit lighting, bouncing off the screen and lowering the contrast... unfortunately safety regulations are the enemy of optimum video performance... for example in the AMC Dolby Cinemas that I have attended these had red LED stair lighting firing directly towards the screen and red LED exit lighting either side adjacent to the screen, the result of which is that the whole image has a significant red push especially with respect to the left and right lower quadrants of the screen and projected image...

I was surprised that the newest Dolby Cinema in Houston (Katy Mills) does NOT have red exit signs they are almost grey - also they now have a black wall in front of seats versus glass wall.
It is very interesting as you sit in this dark huge theater with a black wall in front of you and a enormous screen - you can see probably three or four people in your periphery on the sides and no one in front...
Feels like you are at you home - inly that there are 128 speakers a huge screen and a fantastic Dolby Vision Image.
I thought for the first time - these guys are getting close to beating any home theater...
The crowds - thats another story but I am a snob for that.
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #19 of 51 Old 09-13-2017, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Scanning lasers, sorry can't deliver resolution and speed. No real 1080P around. The GLV with the schlierenstop never took off.

Are you sure DC is using the pair to offer bright and dark 'sides'? As most of the time it is used for 3D. It would require constant (auto) reconfiguration to get from bright/bright to bright/dark, secondly it would cause a brightness loss, that does not show in the specs, 14 fL 3D and 31 fL 2D.

Nigel Eindhoven had exit signs off. There have been reports on DC that were designed to have the room lighting not shine towards the screen, with some success.

Peter keeps quoting this, as RealD keeps saying this reflection from the audience is greater than exit signs, so loose the audience. Loose anything reflective in the room.

Frequency doubling is just another stimulation of radiation emmision, it is the emission that counts, in my book.

As far as Christie's new RGB range, it was said to have an on-off contrats of at least 5000:1,but the demo's sofar have shown it at unspeified lower ratio's. So far off from the DV Projection system.

Christie told me it had the right to market it to non cinema markets, but in the end it did not do it. And yes, Peter tried. With so many LED vendors around the DC route has been superseded, for the non commercial exhibition/revenue sharing segment. Now let's see if that Leyard CEDIA showing included HDR controller it spoke of ahead of Infocomm. I still haven't heard from Leyard if it will be showing it at IBC this weekend.
post #20 of 51 Old 09-13-2017, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
Dolby Cinema is only 108 nits peak output. Yes, they throw a lot of lumens, but the screens are large so it works out to be 1-9 nits peak output.

You can already achieve that with home theater projectors (if you are careful about screen size and gain).

It was interesting to see Apple use a Dolby Cinema setup for their keynote, running off a AppleTV 4k. Either the content was specially mastered or there was some good tone mapping going on (I suspect the former).

My current setup.
My favorite movie review podcast, the Next Picture Show.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)
post #21 of 51 Old 09-13-2017, 08:47 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
Christie told me it had the right to market it to non cinema markets, but in the end it did not do it.
That's not what happened; but I don't want to upset the apple cart so let's leave it there

Quote:
With so many LED vendors around the DC route has been superseded, for the non commercial exhibition/revenue sharing segment. Now let's see if that Leyard CEDIA showing included HDR controller it spoke of ahead of Infocomm. I still haven't heard from Leyard if it will be showing it at IBC this weekend.
Video walls have a way to go before they're viable domestically... That Leyard LED video wall has peak luminosity of only 400-500nits and represents a significant step backwards as compared with both OLED and MicroLED (CLEDIS). It's 0.9mm pixel pitch is certainly a considerable step forward as compared with Samsung's 'Cinema Screen' product that's a whopping 2.5mm and hence by no means suitable for domestic use due pixel visibility at typical HT proximity viewing distances. However, with the Leyard, as of right now, it's a choice of either rubbish peak luminosity with good sized pixel pitch, or good peak luminosity but with rubbish sized pixel pitch. So what's currently missing is the all-important option of good peak luminosity with good sized pixel pitch. Futhermore, it's very expensive!

CLEDIS is also very expensive, even more expensive in fact, but that offers significantly superior video performance in every respect, even as compared with OLED.

As far as Leyard is concerned, at $400,000+ for a circa 160" screen, no thank you... I'll simply wait a year until LG begins manufacturing its giant sized OLED panels and buy one of those for a fraction of the cost and enjoy significantly superior video performance.

These giant video walls need to at least match the performance of consumer displays if they are to be of interest for domestic use... CLEDIS ticks all the right boxes as far as performance is concerned, it's just too damn expensive at the present time. These others, Leyard and Samsung Cinema Screen included, do not.

I'm still waiting for someone to roll out a product that competes with Sony's CLEDIS... The Leyard isn't that product.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 09-13-2017 at 09:05 AM.
post #22 of 51 Old 09-13-2017, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
AAV,
Would it be possible to combine say four of those thin LG OLEDs in a big piece of glass or some other substrate to create a poor mans Cledis? I may have asked that question at the LG booth to you and Marc Alexander, but I forgot.

Quote:

Christie told me it had the right to market it to non cinema markets, but in the end it did not do it. And yes, Peter tried. With so many LED vendors around the DC route has been superseded, for the non commercial exhibition/revenue sharing segment. Now let's see if that Leyard CEDIA showing included HDR controller it spoke of ahead of Infocomm. I still haven't heard from Leyard if it will be showing it at IBC this weekend.
Rumor has it that it was coming along till someone muddied the waters.

Current projector - JVC RS25 and Marantz VP15S1
Future projector - pre-ordered new JVC from AVScience
post #23 of 51 Old 09-13-2017, 09:36 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
AAV,
Would it be possible to combine say four of those thin LG OLEDs in a big piece of glass or some other substrate to create a poor mans Cledis? I may have asked that question at the LG booth to you and Marc Alexander, but I forgot.
You can but it won't be seamless

You would need a bezel-less OLED TV and whilst theoretically that's possible with OLED technology, unfortunately there's no large-sized OLED displays that are bezel-less as of right now...

However, LG have just spent a very seriously large sum of money investing in the capability to manufacture super-sized OLED panels with practically no size limit. We have been informed by LG that there are plans to release larger sized OLED TVs, so expect 100" sized LG OLED TVs to appear in 2019-ish with even larger sizes following shortly thereafter.

In parallel with this emissive QLED will be joining the party, which will be the first major competition against Sony's CLEDIS (MicroLED); and there will inevitably be other MicroLED products further to Sony's CLEDIS joining the fray as well as some point.

Exciting times for HT video!

skoolpsyk likes this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 09-13-2017 at 09:44 AM.
post #24 of 51 Old 09-13-2017, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great news Arrow.

The reduced nits on LEDs tend to be due meeting wider gamut, is what I was told/have been reading. Indoor commercial displays tend to be in the 1000 nits range. Some go higher, 1500-ish, regardless of pitch, but plenty of them go lower. Unilumen at IBC showed 300 nits, to match other studio/set lighting.

Indeed there are high output models, and those are more in the 4mm range. Heat is clearly still an issue with LED.

Pre launch at IBC last year Sony said orderable now at €65K/m2, when it first showed CLEDIS there.

As for the W format OLED, other brands started showing these aswell at IFA, but all had them stuck onto glass, Loewe and Skyworth/Metz. NHK did show 4 of them combined into an 8K display at IBC last year. However there was a thick-ish blank aluminium u profile cross in the middle of the screen. I think I saw a picture over at the other forum, at the time.

Last edited by donaldk; 09-13-2017 at 09:54 AM.
post #25 of 51 Old 09-13-2017, 10:11 AM
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
So sad since this is the thing that makes home projection less than ideal but this is the only single technology that would allow us to have our cake and eat it too.

Art
You're absolute right Art. I'm hoping that the rise of the commerical video wall might motivate Christie to sell the technology into other industries further to commercial cinema, where it is licensed by Dolby. Where if they do, then we might finally see the technology being made available for high-end home theater. I agree it would be a travesty for the video walls to supercede commercial projectors and this technology to simply fall by the wayside and be wasted. There's a sizeable niche market right here, namely the high-end home theater industry, with an increasing demand for this technology, hopefully Christie will decide to exploit it. You're damn right this is the only single technology that would allow us to have our cake and eat it too. Christie could have a serious money-earner if they produced a high-end HT projector utilizing the technology. As long as it's non-commercial-cinema Dolby aren't an issue. So it's purely down to whether they consider there's enough money to be made to be worth their while and/or whether they want to take on the aftersales support that'd accompany such a new product launch. Where Christie would have to do what Barco have done, namely establish a 'Residential' division or subsidiary to handle the home theater side of things. Hopefully Christie will realise that there's more than enough business here to make it more than worth their while doing this. A high-end home theater/cinema projector using this technology would clean up. Anyone and everyone with the budget to afford one would buy it. So there's no quesiton there's the demand for such a product. Here's hoping that Christie will realize what's what and take action to supply that demand!

post #26 of 51 Old 09-13-2017, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
My point was that the Sony DCI projectors have unimpressive contrast ratios with even less impressive total black levels
If they are really 10k:1 then that isn't bad compared to much of the competition. The regular 4K Digital Cinema DLPs are likely closer to 2k:1. You are right that the Sony's aren't in the league of TVs for on/off CR. Also not in the league of some home theater projectors for that parameter, but there are many home theater projectors with poor actual native on/off CR, but high spec number.
Quote:
I believe that the projectors themselves can. At the local DC theater they had red lights shining on the screen from the lower left and right, but after talking to them and over time it seems like they have removed this problem, hopefully for good. There is still light coming from the projection booth and by eye I would guess that the images are somewhere around 50k:1 on/off CR counting that light. I've thought about complaining about the light from the projection booth, but I'm afraid they'll add curtains and then make the light falling on the screen non-uniform enough to stand out more. I've also thought about asking them to change the lights in the projection booth to red, but I'm not sure if that might be worse. I'm guessing they could do something that would work to improve the black on the screen even more (like putting blinders on the screen side of the lights in the projection booth), but I'm not sure.

--Darin
post #27 of 51 Old 09-13-2017, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I had to go and find Mike's last post on the matter, from just prior to SIE, so January of this year. Refreshing my memory, I see he did not say the smaller HC (not the regular cinema RGB with integrated lasers and cooling) projector has been shelved, 'being reviewed'.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:04 AM
jafo09

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk
Peter what HC Christie would that be? Mike Esch told me via email, that the Mirage systems were/would not be High Contrast. As I was under the impression there was such a version.

Hi Donald, let me provide an update as we have continued to evolve our thinking since you and I conversed a few months ago. One of the things we quickly learned during the Dolby Vision projector development was that starting with an optical design that was lamp based and trying to modify it to accommodate RGB laser illumination meant we weren't able to optimize the optical path and truly take advantage of all the benefits of RGB lasers. In December, at CineAsia, we showed a tech preview of a new RGB laser projection platform designed from the ground up. Very compact form factor, HC capable, no external chiller needed etc.

The NAB 2016 unit that Peter was referring to was actually a non Cinema version of the Dolby Vision projector. We are currently assessing how big a market there is for that product. I know a lot of people on this particular forum would be interested but face it - we're the top of the top of the top of the pyramid :-).

Hope that helps.

Mike Esch
VP Engineering
Christie
CINERAMAX, Ericglo and ARROW-AV like this.

post #28 of 51 Old 09-13-2017, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2221 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
You can but it won't be seamless

You would need a bezel-less OLED TV and whilst theoretically that's possible with OLED technology, unfortunately there's no large-sized OLED displays that are bezel-less as of right now...

However, LG have just spent a very seriously large sum of money investing in the capability to manufacture super-sized OLED panels with practically no size limit. We have been informed by LG that there are plans to release larger sized OLED TVs, so expect 100" sized LG OLED TVs to appear in 2019-ish with even larger sizes following shortly thereafter.

In parallel with this emissive QLED will be joining the party, which will be the first major competition against Sony's CLEDIS (MicroLED); and there will inevitably be other MicroLED products further to Sony's CLEDIS joining the fray as well as some point.

Exciting times for HT video!

Ok, I was thinking the bezel was really thin. I would be curious to see how many people would accept a small bezel in return for a large screen in their living room.

Current projector - JVC RS25 and Marantz VP15S1
Future projector - pre-ordered new JVC from AVScience
post #29 of 51 Old 09-15-2017, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Are there any photos of the projector setup?
post #30 of 51 Old 09-15-2017, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well at it happens... they are! There are indeed RGB laser projectors in the works, and true RGB too!

Are you serious??? You just made my day!! i can't believe i didn't a notification on this post...do you have any timeline for when they will begin showing them? CES 2018??

Also, the idea you suggested to christie is absolutely awesome! If they do end up making something for a high end home theater that would probably end up blowing my mind here's hoping all my hopes for projectors are met in the next 2-4 years!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page