World's Most Expensive Hi-Fi System?!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-28-2003, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Was wondering if anyone knew what system is referred to by the Reuters story, "Hi-Fi Garden Chair Among Highlights at Berlin Show".

"For visitors with deep pockets and a discerning ear, the main draw may be a hi-fi system, claimed to be the world's most expensive and valued at around a million euros. "

The story is referring to the IFA Consumer Electronics fair. The full text of the article can be found at: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ermany_fair_dc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-10-2003, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

But can it reproduce this note?:)
post #3 of 20 Old 09-15-2003, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

This would be the most expensive speaker system ever built

1 million US. for the 2 speakers, then you have to build a subteranean 45,000 cubic foot room to put them in, ouch.

http://kharma.com/-a-general-info/b-history.htm

Russ
post #4 of 20 Old 09-15-2003, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally posted by russ fulks

1 million US. ouch.

Russ
Man, I sure hope they just put those speakers in the room pictured because it looks all pretty for the photo shoot...

:o

post #5 of 20 Old 09-16-2003, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Nope Bigus,

That room was specially designed for those speakers. The room is 40 some odd feet underground and was built with exacting dimensions to match the speakers. It's called the Kharma Grand Enigma. Do a search and you can find out some pretty cool info about it. The basic deal is that a rich SOB challenged the designer to make the ultimate speaker system, regardless of price. If the rich guy thought it was good enough, he'd pay for it, otherwise he wouldn't. Needless to say, he ended up paying.

Russ
post #6 of 20 Old 09-17-2003, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 15
he would have paid anyway, if he didnt, I can imagine a good beat down would have been in order.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-19-2003, 02:13 PM
HIB

Quote:
Originally posted by russ fulks

1 million US. for the 2 speakers, then you have to build a subteranean 45,000 cubic foot room to put them in, ouch.

Russ

WOW!

I just bought a Richard Gray Power Transformer for my Cell Phone Charger!!! I need help!
post #8 of 20 Old 10-07-2003, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I could see BillG saying "That's pocket change, I spent more on my Walkman..." ;)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(contributing AVS thread)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(contributing AVS thread)
post #9 of 20 Old 11-18-2003, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

sucker born every day...
post #10 of 20 Old 12-06-2003, 06:16 PM

to any rips. we are on the ultra high end page ! I see now that I'm not crazy, (like my fiancee and all of our friends think.)I still have a long way to go. my 2 channel room fully isolated (sitting on truck air ride bladders) with wisdom m70s for speakers
.!

cupidity
post #11 of 20 Old 12-06-2003, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry no, welcome to the asylum :).
post #12 of 20 Old 12-07-2003, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kgraves
to any rips. we are on the ultra high end page ! I see now that I'm not crazy, (like my fiancee and all of our friends think.)I still have a long way to go. my 2 channel room fully isolated (sitting on truck air ride bladders) with wisdom m70s for speakers
.!
Welcome to the club. You are not alone many of us are nuts one way or another... I have that dream of isolating my system from the speakers... I admit however that the idea of having to go to another room to change disks or not seeing my beloved equipment is not too appealing to me

Frantz
Port-au-Prince, Haiti

Frantz
post #13 of 20 Old 12-09-2003, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally posted by kgraves
.!
Ooooh! I just read the WSR article on Wisdom and being a ribbon/planar speaker lover, I really want to hear a pair of those speakers. I live close to Carson, NV, but I don't think I can convince them that I'm really serious about buying a $600K pair of speakers.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-09-2003, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

$600,000 Wisdom Speaker?

Frantz
Port-au-Prince, Haiti

Frantz
post #15 of 20 Old 12-09-2003, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I have heard the Wisdom speakers at several different CES?s including the ridiculous $1,000,000 system demo they did in an auditorium a few years ago. And while they are very nice speakers, and while CES is not the perfect venue for auditioning ANY audio equipment, I have heard better speakers (at CES) The $85,000 per pair Rockport comes to mind (and the only Rockports I own are some deck shoes) as well as the Dynaudio Evidence (and the smaller version -- $80K and $40K respectively).

I'm not a big Wilson fan but I thought the Wilsons were also superior to the Wisdom speakers

The issue I had with the Wisdoms was the integration of the subs to the ribbons. I have exactly the same issue with the often touted PipeDreams. I have an acquaintance who owned 2 different pair and I have heard them a multiple CES?s in multiple venues as well. How you integrate multiple 18 inch drivers to the gazillion 4 inch midrange drivers might be the issue.

One man?s opinion.

R 8:28

post #16 of 20 Old 12-09-2003, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi

I also like very much the Dynaudio Evidence, they are among the best speakers I have heard. Putting aside my preference for planar/ribbon speakers, the Magnepan line (all of them!) is the test for any speakers, to this date I have not heard a loudspeaker system which does everything better than the Magnepan MG 20.1. None, not one and I have heard speakers systems up to 125,000. None of these megabucks speaker systems did significantly outperform the 20.1 and in some (often, many) ways they were inferior...

And there lie the real test. We (myself included) have come to take the laws of diminishing returns as a dogma. Maybe it should not be so. A 50,000 gear (amp, speaker, whatever) MUST do EVERYTHING better than a $15,000 one. The compromises must lie somewhere else... In too many instances there is no correlation between the price tag and the performance. This is doing a real disservice to the industry IMHO.

Frantz
Port-au-Prince, Haiti

Frantz
post #17 of 20 Old 12-09-2003, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

One of the best systems I ever heard (in, of all places, Singapore) was a pair of the Big Maggies and the big Audio Research Tube Amps. I happened by an Audio Store in a mall and they were playing. My ONLY issue with the Magnepan line is the ability to move a lot of air in the bottom end. And that may not be a fair comment since I have never had them in my home (as least since I owned Tympanies). But for a two channel system that sounds as good as I want to hear, I'd take them in a heart beat.

Oddly enough, one of the reasons I like my Dunlavy SC-VI's so well is that they have that same lower midrange/upper bass warmth that is so much live live music and the the Maggies shine with.

post #18 of 20 Old 12-09-2003, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Not wanting to transform this in a a "Speaker-I-Like" forum but John Dunlavy speakers do possess that Authority in the midbass that Magnepan speakers reproduce in spade. I do not know how much air you want your speakers to move but the Magnepan 20.1 move a lot of air down to 25Hz.
THe price/performance ratio of the Dunlavy speakers were also excellent. Too bad the company went under. Where the Maggies depart forom the Dunlavy is in the delicatesse of their Highs and in the case of the 20.1 its uncanny neutrality

If I can afford it I do not mind paying a given amount for a level of performance. I am however bothered when the price for a certain item is not commensurate with its performance. I am also a pragmatic and like a bargain one reason I am for example attracted to IB subwoofer technology because (on-paper, I have never heard one) the level of performance of a properly designed $5,000 IB subwoofer surpass by all measures that of even the most expensive commercial subwoofers(............................... Plug any brand or model you choose on the dotted line). I still do not understand why they are not more popular, call it naivete if you will but all the answers I have been given on this board and others do not hold much weight.

I do not like also the rejection of lower priced gears by the audiophile community. I would like for example to see someone give a fair audition in one of the audiophile magazines to the SVS B-4. It looks like on-paper it is pretty close to anything out there and I am sure the people from SVS would gladly oblige, yet NONE of the mags has even mentioned it... And that is where it becomes complicated folks, if SVS starts putting ads in the Audio press magazines or try to rent floor space at the C.E.S. I bet the B-4 price would not hold at its current less than $4000, On-paper its output is prodigious and will challenge the likes of the Krell MRS (which I labelled the single most overpriced gear in Hi-End) or Wilson XS. And if one does not, then two at much less than half the price of the XS would certainly. I am, in no way, saying that it is better than these very much celbrated and in the case of the XS which I have heard, excellent sub. I have never heard a B-4 , but simply that it deserves a serious audition considering the devotion many have for SVS.

The Hi-End Audio community for too long has been equating quality with price. It is not so, far from it. Too often when anything is presented in the Mainstream press (Electronic or printed), the out of this world and stupidly priced gears or systems are the stars of the article, not the ones who could challenge the Bose crap-style at the same price...

was I OT ? :P

Frantz
Port-au-Prince, Haiti

Frantz
post #19 of 20 Old 12-09-2003, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

We are wandering further off topic, however??.I have been in and around the audio business for a very long time. The politics behind getting a piece of audio equipment FAIRLY reviewed are unimaginable. That is, among other things, one reason why I take reviews from many (not all) reviewers with a major grain of salt.

The chances of the SVS B4 getting a fair and accurate review by one of the major magazines are not good. Knowing what I know, and if I were in their shoes, I would NEVER submit a sub for review. They seem to be doing quite well without the blessing of the high end audio press.

On the other hand, if there were a way to fairly review (read blind) their sub with any of those you mentioned, I have no doubt they would do quite well. As I have noted many other times, I could get 2 B4's and a Crown amp for about 27% of the price of the Wilson sub (without an amp). 70% more driver radiating area, etc, etc, etc.

Oh well ----- I need to go sell something.

post #20 of 20 Old 12-09-2003, 04:12 PM

I don't want anyone misinterpreting the other reference's to $600k and wisdoms.my older m70s were around 27k new.

cupidity
Closed Thread Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page