Closed Thread

post #451 of 465 Old 10-07-2006, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info Jeff.

Definitely interested in hearing your opinion on the sonics. Especially since this replaced the Lexicon in your setup.

Dennis

Toshiba HD XA2 & PS3 Owner
Format Neutrality is the place to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 465 Old 10-07-2006, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Oh, one other question.

How does one receive the firmware update? Is it downloadable or does Halcro ship CD's to the end users?

Dennis

post #453 of 465 Old 10-07-2006, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland
I have EQ / DSPs on each speaker and can set corrover points there
Are those crossovers or high-pass filters on each speaker? That is, do they simply filter what reaches the speaker or do they also take the rest of the information in that channel and re-route it to your subwoofer(s)?

Sanjay

Sanjay
post #454 of 465 Old 10-07-2006, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Sanjay,

I mis-spoke...hi pass filters.

Dennis, the firmware upgrades are going to be mailed on USB data sticks. Just plug it into the Halcro and it goes..

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #455 of 465 Old 10-07-2006, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanx for clarifying Jeff. Curious about how you bass manage your system. Do you usually set all your speakers to the same crossover? If so, is it 80Hz or something else? Where do your speakers naturally roll off in the low frequencies? Have you been bass managing using the filters in your EQs or in the processor?

Sanjay

Sanjay
post #456 of 465 Old 10-07-2006, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have my LCRs at 90 and surrounds at 80. I'll set my Halcro to 90 and adjust for my surrounds.

My bass management is done in the processor.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #457 of 465 Old 10-07-2006, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I have my LCRs at 90 and surrounds at 80. I'll set my Halcro to 90 and adjust for my surrounds.
How will you adjust the surrounds down to 80 if the Halcro is sending them only frequencies above 90?

Sanjay

Sanjay
post #458 of 465 Old 10-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Jeff,

I'll have to contact Halcro when my unit comes in and start the ball rolling.

Dennis

post #459 of 465 Old 10-07-2006, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

My bass management is done in the processor.
Main speakers, in the case of my Aerial 10Ts, at a fixed 80 Hz crossover simply isn't musical enough for me in my room for my taste, even using the Velodyne SMS-1 for low frequency subwoofer EQ. It would be nice if the Halcro had some additional flexibility for low end bass crossover frequency and slope management
as does the CB3.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #460 of 465 Old 10-07-2006, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
(as I have EQ / DSPs on each speaker and can set corrover points there) but I have to admit, I'd rather have the individual COs.
Do no think I am against equalization. I am for equalization. However everyone who does not understand must understand that when you re-digitize an analog signal, the signal that comes out on the other side is going to sound largely like the piece that did the last digital to analog conversion. It is sort of like sending an analog 5.1 signal into a Lexicon MC12 and having it re-digitize the signal and then convert it back to analog. In this case what are you listening to the dvd-a player or the Lexicon? Both but more so The Lexicon of course. If the last link in the chain is a digital eq what are you listening to, the Halcro or the eq? The EQ more so than the Halcro of course. My prediction is that the Halcro will sound exactly as both the Lexicon and Theta did in The Blands system, largely the same because you are really listening to the dacs in the EQ and not the dacs in the surround processor. The dacs in The Bland EQ are 24/48 for starters. Sorry but to my ears 24/48 does not sound exactly like 24/96 so that alone means that the Halcro will sound differently in The Bland's system. Jeff, I am not to attacking you. Guys just need to be clear on how you are running your system. This is just my reasoning and opinion of course. I do not believe that all digital to analog conversion is completely transparent. I think that as you approach digital to analog conversion at 24/96 it becomes much less relevant as 24/96 is largely transparent. 24/48 in my experience is not.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #461 of 465 Old 12-01-2006, 08:17 AM

Hey everyone,
New here. We had been reading a bunch of threads as they're called including this one and one called the Bland Report. I had a Rotel 1098 also with a cool screen, read that amazing review on the Halcro 100 in the the Perfect Vision/Absolute Sound and took the upgrade plunge. Coupled it with some of their MC amps for 7.1 and DVDs are as dynamic as they report, that I even thought we had on Rotel on the night time setting :>)

Unfortunately, we're downsizing in a condo (including giving my beloved Velo to a friend), so I may just be selling this combination on Ebay or something if anyone is interested (hint, hint) and going to a top notch receiver like an Arcam or Pioneer Elite :>(
post #462 of 465 Old 12-01-2006, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Bobbi,

I have been really mpressedwith the Halcro 100 for its sonic capabilities..There is a new firmware update that makes the user interface smoother, adds 1080P and finally allows for an overlay of he processor mode, volume level, etc. I am pleased as punch.

post #463 of 465 Old 12-01-2006, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Bobbi,

I have been really mpressedwith the Halcro 100 for its sonic capabilities..There is a new firmware update that makes the user interface smoother, adds 1080P and finally allows for an overlay of he processor mode, volume level, etc. I am pleased as punch.
Thanks. I didn't think processors/receivers/etc. made such a huge difference in the chain (as they say), but it really does. The Rotel is nice and sounds cool, but the Halcro is electrifying so far. But we think it won't work in our new room and we want to raise some cash as well, so it might be gone soon (for now) if we get a buyer who is interested in a total package. I listened to the Arcam receiver (forgot the name) and it sounds sweet too.
post #464 of 465 Old 12-01-2006, 02:20 PM

Jeff,
Did you get any documentation along with the firmware update? I'm still waiting for mine.
post #465 of 465 Old 12-01-2006, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Terry,

I have no documentation at all. I am not sure how Halcro plans on implementing it or when. I have to run it through to see exactly what enhancements are in there.... My dealer has a long relationship with Halcro and through him (and Halcro) I got an early copy. Sorry, but I have no details...but when I run it through a few movies this weekend, I'll report back.

Closed Thread Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page