Anyone tried the new Esoteric DV-60? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 06-29-2006, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As I was perusing Esoteric's site today, I noticed this new DVD player at the bottom of the Products page. It looks like a new version of their DV-50, even though that player is still listed as a current product. I checked out its manual and it has a lot of great features like 480i and 1080p via HDMI, L&R balanced outs, 44.1k PCM-to-352k or DSD upsampling and the list goes on. It also uses Esoteric's new X-series chassis which looks way better than the DV-50's. And all this can be yours for "only" $6000 (actually thats not bad for Esoteric) MSRP! So, any of you rich bastards had a chance to take one of these badboys for a spin? And by "rich bastards" I of course mean "Gentlemen".

You are all WEIRDOS! - Sam the Eagle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 06-29-2006, 09:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I have them on order. I will hook one up and test it as soon as I get one. The DV50 was a hugh seller for me. It will be interesting to see how the DV60 does considering the advent of HD DVD and Blu Ray.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #3 of 50 Old 06-30-2006, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I have a DV50S and I would be lying if I said that I was not at least curious to how it sounds. ie cd and Hirez. I would be more interested in that as I am sure that the video will excellent.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #4 of 50 Old 06-30-2006, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I have them on order. I will hook one up and test it as soon as I get one. Hugh seller for me. It will be interesting to see how the DV60 does considering the advent of HD DVd and Blu Ray.

Cool! Please post a review when you can. Thanks.

post #5 of 50 Old 07-01-2006, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Here's some interesting stuff Anthony at Aberdeen components had to say about the DV--60, DV-50, and UX-3.

"I agree 100% with Frank. I currently have 2 of each, of the Dv-50, Dv-60 and one UX-3.
A dv-50 is very easy to uncork the performance. Dv-60 same Pioneer drive as dv50, but the dv-60 has half the size of the Dv-50 power supply, and a 1/4 of the size what the Dv-50 uses as the HQ 2 channel output.

UX3 has serious potential, ready to be unleashed, but a major bottle neck I found within the core board prevents this beast to be unleashed. (Fix is almost there)
A big plus for the UX-3 the analog board is very similar to the UX-1, another plus the UX-3 has a New (Neo) drive assembly over the UX-1, with a final plus the UX-3 can upscale the Video, via DVI, while the UX-1 cant.

Dv-60 can upscale the video threw the much wanted HDMI,
While the others lack this feature, with the exception of the PO-1 and PO-3. What get me nuts, it has the ABT top chip that can support HDDVD and Blue Ray, looking at press photos, the Dv-60 was shown sporting the 2 optional ram chips to be used with these features to top it off. Meanwhile they disabled the chip to support these formats! :c(.....My Likes of the Dv-60 internal... Cute little R-core t-former, and despite the smaller power board section, nice to see multi - Inductor/capacitor filtration being used.
Unlike the DV-50, the rest of the video section looks great. But all analog sections are nothing like the more robust section used in the Dv-50...

My wish: Give me a dv-50 with the video section of a Dv-60 (re-worked of course)

In reality: total re-worked Dv-50

Ux-3: A beast, re-worked, but I think at this price point,
I would like to see HDMI."

"The Dv-60 uses Teac's horizontal sled and vertical optical assembly. A plus over the Dv-50. Unlike the Pioneer drive, the control boards are not sandwiched under the drive assembly. They are laid out cleanly, in an uncongested manner. Again, Inductor based ground decoupling is heavily employed, showing a well designed control board. Much more Robust engineered, over the Pioneer dive assembly design. In regards to the Dv-60 power board, despite being a smaller footprint over the Dv-60, as above, inductor based filtration, is used with a well designed power board, over the Dv-50."

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #6 of 50 Old 07-02-2006, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like a DV-50 with an external video processor might be a good option. That's what I have done and the video side of things is first rate compared to any machine I have tried...and that's a lot of players.

Dave
post #7 of 50 Old 07-02-2006, 01:35 PM

For audio, a used DV50 is one of the best bargains you can get now. On Agon, some are listed for well below 3K now. A year ago I paid a tad under 3K (used). With a external video processor you should be in good shape. For the few minutes I had mine connected to a display to make sure the setup was correct for audio, I did run some test patterns. It has pretty severe CUE or ICP chroma problems. An external processor will filter that away.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #8 of 50 Old 07-02-2006, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The dv50 used a faroudja chip. All new Esoterics are using a new scaling chip from Anchor Bay Technologies. I am not sure about the 60 though.

Here 's the link:
http://www.anchorbaytech.com/news/teac-esoteric.html
post #9 of 50 Old 07-02-2006, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

New Edit-

The DV-60 uses the Faroudja DCDi chip for 480p, 720p and 1080i and uses the ABT 1018 chip for scaling the 1080i output to 1080p if so desired, pretty much the same thing Denon did with their 5910 except it, of course, used the SO Realta chip. The cool thing is that it can output 480i via its HDMI, potentually making this a great choice to use as a video transport as well as for audio playback. It would be nice if Esoteric would supply Secrets with a demo unit to play with, like they did with their UX-1. Hopefully, they've applied the feedback that came from that review towards the video section of the DV-60. That would be very nice.

post #10 of 50 Old 07-04-2006, 06:36 PM

Quote:

The DV-60 uses the Faroudja DCDi chip for 480p, 720p and 1080i and uses the ABT 1018 chip for scaling the 1080i output to 1080p if so desired

Interesting. If they went to all the trouble to pay for the ABT and install it, why not use it? They'd get better performance just letting the Faroujda deinterlace and use the (better) ABT for scaling.

If you are serious about video, a SDI modded player or something like the Oppo 970HD for 480i via HDMI and an external scaler is the way to go. The Faroudja 23xx and SIL50x deinterlacers are now also-rans compared to the new chips/software available. Deinterlacing is the most crucial part of SD DVD playback.

larry

post #11 of 50 Old 07-05-2006, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW - The DV-50 and DV-50S do NOT have Faroudja DCDi. It just has the basic older Pioneer solution, nothing special on the de-interlacing side of things.

Dave
post #12 of 50 Old 07-06-2006, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Interesting. If they went to all the trouble to pay for the ABT and install it, why not use it? They'd get better performance just letting the Faroujda deinterlace and use the (better) ABT for scaling.

If you are serious about video, a SDI modded player or something like the Oppo 970HD for 480i via HDMI and an external scaler is the way to go. The Faroudja 23xx and SIL50x deinterlacers are now also-rans compared to the new chips/software available. Deinterlacing is the most crucial part of SD DVD playback.

larry

Ya know, that might be the way they're doing it. Either way, the Faroudja chip is definitely being used for deinterlacing, so the scaling would probably look about the same whether being done by Faroudja or ABT.

And I totally agree that using an external processor via 480i HDMI is the way to go, that's why this player looks like it's the "total package".

"Why go with Oppo........when you can have all of Thissssssss!"

post #13 of 50 Old 07-07-2006, 06:01 AM

This is the scaling chip: http://www.anchorbaytech.com/products/ABT1018chip.html

larry

post #14 of 50 Old 07-31-2006, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

any update on this player? anyone heard it or own one? better than dv50s for audio (video obviously is)?

post #15 of 50 Old 08-08-2006, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

since this unit uses the faroudja to deinterlace and then the abt to upconvert, does that mean it still will have the macroblocking problem, or is that the case only when the faroudja does all deinterlacing and upconverting? also, by using 480i, will the faroudja ever be touched in this case (ie. if no, then a pure signal to the scaler)?

post #16 of 50 Old 08-09-2006, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Why spend so much on a unit that has all these features (ABT upscaler etc) and then not use any of them and output 480i to a processor? Seems like a waste to me.... If there are other reasons to buy this unit over another that does 480i then I'd love to know what they are. Especially considering that even with a superb analog out, if you opt to pass the audio through HDMI then you essenially nullify that feature too, no?
post #17 of 50 Old 08-09-2006, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

you are right, the reason i ask is because i am trying to eliminate some "boxes" in my setup and want to get a universal that will be both a redbook player and dvd video player. right now, yes 1080p is the way to go, but being able to output 480i and use a scaler in the future makes it a no brainer as it has all the "goodies" in one box. in additional, if i get a high end projector that has a better scaler built in, i would no doubt want to send it a 480i signal. i use mostly redbook, hence the reason for the player, but having dvd also is major bonus.

post #18 of 50 Old 08-11-2006, 07:16 AM

From a Agon ad for a used DV-60:

"I've acquired many items of my soon-to-be-ex-husbands' and this is one of them. A male friend informed me of the ridiculous price that it is worth and I don't need anything like this. I'm told this is the place to sell it. I understand that I don't have any feedback but if you have good feed-back I will "reverse" the common scenerio and send the DVD player before payment. He bought this thing just a few months ago and it has rarely been used. I'd say it's a 10 but the scale says that is rarely trusted. All the stuff is accounted for and perfect; double box, packing, manual, remote etc... It's on our mutual credit card with my name so the warranty is good if you need to contact me for any reason to send it in as well. "

Priceless.....

larry

post #19 of 50 Old 08-11-2006, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

uhhhh, send before payment? thats the best one-liner i've heard in a long time. man , the thought of running off with it is very appealing right now!!!

............ someone STOP me!

post #20 of 50 Old 08-11-2006, 11:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

From a Agon ad for a used DV-60:

"I've acquired many items of my soon-to-be-ex-husbands' and this is one of them. A male friend informed me of the ridiculous price that it is worth and I don't need anything like this. I'm told this is the place to sell it. I understand that I don't have any feedback but if you have good feed-back I will "reverse" the common scenerio and send the DVD player before payment. He bought this thing just a few months ago and it has rarely been used. I'd say it's a 10 but the scale says that is rarely trusted. All the stuff is accounted for and perfect; double box, packing, manual, remote etc... It's on our mutual credit card with my name so the warranty is good if you need to contact me for any reason to send it in as well. "

Priceless.....

larry

She's willing to send it first and then receive payment. She did the same with her soon to be ex-husband, first sent him away and now she's cashing out.
That is very Esoteric of her.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #21 of 50 Old 08-12-2006, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

no pun intended!!!!!

post #22 of 50 Old 08-14-2006, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

for those who have used the dv50s with an external scaler, did you use a dvi to hdmi adaptor? are there any disadvantages of doing this as opposed to using a player with an hdmi output?

post #23 of 50 Old 10-25-2006, 03:47 PM

I also have the DV-60. I used the HDMI connection to deliver a 1080p signal to the TV with good results. The picture is very detailed and sharp, however, the backgrounds are very grainy. I have a processor that does upconvert to 1080p. and while the DVD player I have been currently using doesn't provide as sharp and detailed image as the DV-60, the processors signal is much smoother and free of grain. A combination of the two will be top-notch, pretty dang close to HD.
post #24 of 50 Old 11-20-2006, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
How about sound quality?

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #25 of 50 Old 01-17-2007, 10:34 AM
BP

Liked: 11
Hi:
This thread has been quiet for some time.
While out at CES I made a decision to buy the DV-60. My question relates to the G25u, the (lower model) outboard Up Converter/Clock Generator. Has anybody heard this with the DV-60?
I was able to hear some new Esoteric equipment apply the Clock Generator to a new CD player and the improved result was easily heard by all in the room.
Perhaps Mark Haflich has heard both together???
Thanks
BP

BP

Open mind, open ears. There are no absolutes!
post #26 of 50 Old 01-18-2007, 04:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I looked at the piece but it was not connected, however in the next suite ove they had a NEW integrated-power-dac, which is low cost and it sounded great.

My question is about the UX-1 limited has anyone heard this piece? It has VRDS NEO but also has anakog outputs for all 6 channels with very high quality dacs.
post #27 of 50 Old 01-18-2007, 07:28 AM
BP

Liked: 11
Peter;
Do you mean the demo suite where the new Esoteric product was? If so, yes, I heard the piece you are referring to. They played their new $3,500 cd with and without the clocking (Word Synch) in the new amp/dac/clocking unit and, IMHO, you would have to be tone deaf not to hear the difference. I hope for a similar difference with the DV-60.
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

I looked at the piece but it was not connected, however in the next suite ove they had a NEW integrated-power-dac, which is low cost and it sounded great.

My question is about the UX-1 limited has anyone heard this piece? It has VRDS NEO but also has anakog outputs for all 6 channels with very high quality dacs.

BP

Open mind, open ears. There are no absolutes!
post #28 of 50 Old 01-19-2007, 02:24 AM

Liked: 13
Hello bp, I happened to be in the same demo room as you during the CES demo and yes there was an obvious improvement with the G25. So far I have been extremely pleased with my DV60. The next question is when do I get the G25?
post #29 of 50 Old 01-19-2007, 03:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

product literature dv-60

Hi Bob, I did not get a chance to hear it but I trust you. That is great news.
post #30 of 50 Old 01-19-2007, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am thinking about the SA-60. Not sure if I need the DVD video. How good is the video on the DV-60? Badbenzz, how is the multi-channel audio? I expect it to do well on stereo. How much better than your old player.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page