post #91 of 298 Old 08-03-2006, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlag View Post

I think your video would be much better and get your point across in a far superior fashion if it were really shaky and poorly focused like the serious "artsy" clips you sometimes find on YouTube and elsewhere

I have only 512 MB memory card in digital camera, so it needs to be quick and shaky.

The point is, Power Plant needs extreme cooling when connecting computer to it. 40cm table fan on max speed. That's right, centimeters.

Truth always wins in the end.

http://www.myspace.com/extreme_tweaking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 298 Old 08-03-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbyhkr View Post

Wait, so are you saying you won't be doing a power buy?

Jeff

Certainly not for a JETS fan...

(Giants fan for nearly 3 decades...)

Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com
post #93 of 298 Old 08-03-2006, 03:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilNYC View Post

Certainly not for a JETS fan...

(Giants fan for nearly 3 decades...)

J - E - T - S! JETS! JETS! JETS!

;-)

I'll be 30 this year and have been a long suffering fan as far back as I can remember. I was at both Giants SB wins though and don't hate the Giants like I do the Phins. At least the next stadium won't make us the redheaded stepchildren like the current one does. I wonder who they'll sell the naming rights to....

Jeff

I'm nerdy in the extreme, I'm whiter than sour cream...
post #94 of 298 Old 08-04-2006, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 22
Oh holy cow, ValhallaPC, please stay the hell off this thread. There are already two devoted to your power cord evangelism.

Michael
post #95 of 298 Old 08-04-2006, 09:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Here's a SlimServer question for folks out there familiar with it. I've played around with the web ui a bit and it is pretty slick. I'd say for a web based interface it has to be one of the best I've used (although iTunes web UI replicators like iTunes Catalog are also pretty slick). So, I know I can just have SlimServer "see" the iTunes library and all. However, there's no way to use the AirTunes feature in iTunes to send to Slim hardware right? It's just an interface question as my wife is familiar and comfortable with iTunes. Of course, using iTunes as the back end might very well compromise the feature set and make the hardware less useful and more of a dummy AE. Alternatively, are there substitute interface designs for the SlimServer? I know they allow 3rd party development and it's hard to keep up with all the new stuff.

Jeff

post #96 of 298 Old 08-10-2006, 03:34 AM

Jeff, Dont think that is possible. SB3 is only designed to receive instructions from Slim Server as far as I know.
post #97 of 298 Old 08-10-2006, 10:23 AM

I have a question, though as stupid as it may sound...

I am currently thinking about setting up a "music" room separate from the HT, you know, tubes, etc. The transporter sounds like a great device for my purposes as I already have an macmini running as an HTPC, so the music is already stored and tagged. However, will it make much of a difference compared to my HT setup if the music streaming to the Transporter is MP3? Or, will I have to convert everything to lossless? The problem with this is I have 210 GB of MP3 at 320hz and getting all this to lossless, I will need terabytes of space...
post #98 of 298 Old 08-10-2006, 10:42 AM

Pablo, If you're going to primarily be playing compressed MP3's, I don't think the Transporter will be worth it to you...and the same holds true for a "high end" dedicated 2-channel music system in general. A Squeezebox 3 + decent midfi rig would work, but if you want to "get into tubes et al" and have a good 2-channel system, the first thing you'd need to do is to re-rip all your music to at least one of the lossless formats (FLAC, Apple Lossless). Hard disks keep getting cheaper, too...

Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com
post #99 of 298 Old 08-10-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:

Pablo, If you're going to primarily be playing compressed MP3's, I don't think the Transporter will be worth it to you...and the same holds true for a "high end" dedicated 2-channel music system in general. A Squeezebox 3 + decent midfi rig would work, but if you want to "get into tubes et al" and have a good 2-channel system, the first thing you'd need to do is to re-rip all your music to at least one of the lossless formats (FLAC, Apple Lossless). Hard disks keep getting cheaper, too...

That's what I figured...Yes, hard discs are getting cheaper, so that might be the way to go...I wasn't getting the high end 2 channel system just for the mp3's or flac, wav, etc, but rather for a cd transporter and vinyl...I was actually not even thinking about streaming content for that room, but when I started reading about the transporter, it sparked my interest...

Also, re-ripping from CD would be a project in itself...Around 1300 albums would be extremely time consuming, so would converting the mp3 to lossless be a happy medium, or would this "decompression" already be destroyed because of the compression from the mp3 format?
post #100 of 298 Old 08-10-2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo16 View Post

Also, re-ripping from CD would be a project in itself...Around 1300 albums would be extremely time consuming, so would converting the mp3 to lossless be a happy medium, or would this "decompression" already be destroyed because of the compression from the mp3 format?

You've already lost data because of the compression into MP3 format. I don't think there's a way to recover it...

Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com
post #101 of 298 Old 08-10-2006, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Phil's right---the loss due to MP3 compression is unrecoverable. However, you can always send your CDs to a ripping service, to save time. Ready to Play is one based here in my neck of the woods. I haven't used them yet but I intend to.

Michael
post #102 of 298 Old 08-10-2006, 01:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

You've already lost data because of the compression into MP3 format. I don't think there's a way to recover it...

There isn't a way. As Phil says, the compression has already been done so recreating the bit for bit exact original file isn't realistically possible. Re-ripping is your only option.

Have you considered not doing the re-ripping yourself. 1300 CDs is a substantial collection, but there are several ripping service options out there who will do all the work for you. For that many CDs, the cost per disc should drop way below what the normal is for 100, 200, 300, etc. Most services can give you the resulting output on a variety of formats including FLAC, Apple Lossless, etc. With a collection that large in lossless formats, they'll really only be able to give you the output onto multiple HDDs (would require an awful lot of even DL DVDs and I don't think any of them are offering archiving to BR or HD-DVD yet). So, you'd probably be able to wrok it out with them so that you could provide HDDs that you would be purchasing anyway to store the collection. At the end, you'd have a completely ripped and tagged collection in lossless on HDDs ready to go into your system.

Just a thought.

Jeff

post #103 of 298 Old 08-10-2006, 02:09 PM

Do any of these ripping services have any issues with data accuracy? Or do they use something like EAC to rip?

Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com
post #104 of 298 Old 08-10-2006, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hmm, I don't know; that would be interesting to find out. But let's keep in mind two things. First, even EAC uses one quick pass for nearly all CDs if you have a player (EDIT: I mean, a CD-ROM reader) with C2-level error detection and correction---because the C2 verification insures that exact information was retrieved.

Secondly, if your C2 info reveals uncorrectable errors, you've got yourself a pretty messed up disc already. And such bit errors do not manifest themselves as a subtle degradation of sound quality over the entire CD. Instead, they're fairly localized, and usually produce harsh and obvious results (clicks, etc.) My point being that if the rip sounds good, it's almost certainly bit perfect.

At the very least though I would want to know if these services can indicate if their rips are C2-perfect, and flag the ones that fail.

Michael
post #105 of 298 Old 08-10-2006, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Grant View Post

At the very least though I would want to know if these services can indicate if their rips are C2-perfect, and flag the ones that fail.

If they use EAC, including the rip log would be enough.
The log file is automatically generated by EAC and looked like this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EAC extraction logfile from 3. April 2004, 9:02 for CD
Gidon Kremer & Martha Argerich / R. Schumann: Violin Sonatas Nos 1,2

Used drive : PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W1210S Adapter: 3 ID: 3
Read mode : Secure with C2, accurate stream, disable cache
Read offset correction : 0
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out : No

Used output format : Internal WAV Routines
44.100 Hz; 16 Bit; Stereo

Other options :
Fill up missing offset samples with silence : No
Delete leading and trailing silent blocks : No
Installed external ASPI interface

Range status and errors
Selected range
Filename C:\\Create\\Schumann\\CDImage.wav

Peak level 91.8 %
Range quality 100.0 %
CRC CED24391
Copy OK

No errors occured

End of status report

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HDPLEX
post #106 of 298 Old 08-12-2006, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

FWIW; I contacted one of the ripping services (I do not remember which) before I ripped my collection myself and peppered them with questions. If I recall correctly, they just do a single pass with C2 (not all CD-ROMS have high quality C2 built in BTW), and DO NOT use secure mode.

Secure mode does 2 reads (at a minimum) and compares the data to ensure accuracy and will re-read a sector a number of times if it detects an error. On most of the forums (Slim Devices, Hydrogenaudio, Head-Fi, here), the consensus seems to be if you are going to go through the trouble you may as well ensure that it is done perfectly by employing secure mode.

Also highly recommended is using the AccurateRip plugin. It compares the CRC value from your rip to a master database of other users rips to see if they match. This provides you with further proof (along with a warm fuzzy feeling) that your rips are accurate. EAC and the AccurateRip plugin are both free.

The ripping service I spoke to employed neither secure mode nor the AccurateRip plugin because it increased rip time 3 fold (or even longer for dirty/scratched discs). I prefer the guarantee of knowing I have perfect rips.

Perhaps you have a nephew or son who you could pay to do this for you?

Oh, and don't forget to BACK UP your lossless database or you may have to re-rip your collection once again sometime in the future.

I hope this was helpful.
post #107 of 298 Old 08-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Slim Devices does ripping (sorry if this was covered)

http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_ripping_faq.html
post #108 of 298 Old 10-02-2006, 11:41 AM

FYI - just received my Transporter today. Right out of the box, it is way better than the entry-level Squeezebox (as expected). Anyone in the NY/NJ area interested in checking it out, please give me a shout...

Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com
post #109 of 298 Old 10-02-2006, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Phil's right---the loss due to MP3 compression is unrecoverable. However, you can always send your CDs to a ripping service, to save time. Ready to Play is one based here in my neck of the woods. I haven't used them yet but I intend to.

Do you know if there is a way to preserve your mp3 tags if you do that? Pop tags are usually good enough, but classical Tags are usually way off. 80% of the time I spent ripping classical music was in entering the right Tags!
post #110 of 298 Old 10-02-2006, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Well, the Ready to Play folks claim to be savvy about classical music, but I have no first-hand experience, so you should check with them first. Of course there are other services too. Perhaps there are some classical music forums where people have discussed experiences with ripping services?

Michael
post #111 of 298 Old 10-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting thread...ANy idea how the sound quality compares to Escient?
post #112 of 298 Old 10-02-2006, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I don't think that the Escient was designed with this level of sound/build quality in mind. Still, the proof is in the listening, and I've not listened to either yet. (After all, some people on this forum are raving about the sound quality of the $500 Toshiba HD-DVD player, so cost can't mean everything )

Michael
post #113 of 298 Old 10-02-2006, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, the Ready to Play folks claim to be savvy about classical music, but I have no first-hand experience, so you should check with them first. Of course there are other services too. Perhaps there are some classical music forums where people have discussed experiences with ripping services?

The ideal would be if I sent them a database of MP3s on a HD, and it came back in some other format.
post #114 of 298 Old 10-02-2006, 08:36 PM

Removed duplcate post.
post #115 of 298 Old 10-02-2006, 08:41 PM

Quote:

...Do you know if there is a way to preserve your mp3 tags if you do that?...

Don't know the direct answer to your question but, after much pain and suffering, I have found 'The Godfather' to be the best at editing tags. It's freeware, too.

BTW, last I looked, Freedb--a popular database that holds info on cd tracks--was in jeopardy due to internal feuding amongst the volunteers that created and maintained it. (I hope I have represented that fairly since I am only reading what's on the web site.)
post #116 of 298 Old 10-02-2006, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post

The ideal would be if I sent them a database of MP3s on a HD, and it came back in some other format.

Why would you want to pay to have lossy data transcoded? I can only imagine how crappy MP3 will sound on the Transporter vice the same song properly ripped into FLAC, Apple Lossless or a full bitrate WAV file.

If you are only playing MP3s, might I suggest saving your cash and using the cheaper SB2 or 3? Either of those can clearly demonstrate the difference between lossless and lossy, but they will at least save you some cash.
post #117 of 298 Old 10-02-2006, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Swampfox is smart enough that I'm going to assume he was trying to be clever and/or funny. I will admit though I didn't quite get it.

Michael
post #118 of 298 Old 10-03-2006, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlag View Post

Why would you want to pay to have lossy data transcoded? I can only imagine how crappy MP3 will sound on the Transporter vice the same song properly ripped into FLAC, Apple Lossless or a full bitrate WAV file.

If you are only playing MP3s, might I suggest saving your cash and using the cheaper SB2 or 3? Either of those can clearly demonstrate the difference between lossless and lossy, but they will at least save you some cash.

What I meant was that I would prefer to send my current database And my CDs so that the CDs could be re-ripped, but all the work I put into getting the tags the way I like was preserved. Most my CDs are already ripped at "extreme". I understand the concept of lossy data compression.
post #119 of 298 Old 10-03-2006, 07:17 AM

Quote:
"...all the work I put into getting the tags the way I like was preserved..."

Swampfix: Do you have an efficient method for doing this? I have pretty much converted my seedee collection==a tedious affair--and the hardest thing to get right was the tags. Have you got a good way to do this?
post #120 of 298 Old 10-03-2006, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been using MP3Tag, quite happy with it. After I finished all of my ripping, I simply used it to tweak the tags. No issues at all, but works best with a widescreen display so you can see everything at once.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page