Originally Posted by JHL
It would be great if Theta developed an HDMI option for the CB3. I would prefer something that kept it a single box because I don't have unlimited space in my equipment rack.
I think your point is important - for most folks, limited space, cabinets, a single box is important. Yea, I can get buy with multiple boxes, but I am the exception, not the rule, not the market.
The Casablanca is due for a nice redesign since its not 10 years later since it first came out. Here's some ideas for Theta to think about, I'm not saying they are all practical or cost effective:
1. No need for all the stereo analog inputs. Maybe two pairs of stereo analog inputs at most. And don't even need them if #2 below can be done.
2. How about incorporating the Six Shooter into the Casablanca, in one box?
And having say two of the analog stereo inputs work both digitally, analog direct, and analog matrix (meaning analog direct for front left and right and digital derived for other channels). Question can this be done with quality of Six Shooter sonics intact, thanks to shielding, etc.?
3. Excellent sounding DACs no longer need or should retail at $1,000 per channel like the Xtreme DACs. $500 per channel, like for the Superior 2 DACs, is probably reasonable. Bottom line is the Six Shooter and Toshiba HD DVD player proves how good those cheap DACs in the HD DVD player sound via the Six Shooter, so hard to justify spending $1,000 per DAC these days. Let folks who want the very best stereo sound buy the Gen VIII Dac from Theta.
4. Of course the video board should be reworked for HDMI, maybe offer a few different swappable video boards based on customer needs, and to keep use of space down some.
5. The digital audio board can be reworked. Don't need 6 coaxial inputs.
Don't need ATT digital or Single Mode. Need 3-4 toslink, 2-3 coaxial,
and of course HDMI.
6. Digital EQ, at last for the low end bass and subwoofer channel, with a microphone, and auto and manual setup for the EQ. See my review of the Velodyne SMS-1 in this thread - its a great piece and these days I would think that the upgraded CB could so something like this pretty easy without costing all that much.
Just my two cents. HDMI for the Casablanca is I assume a major undertaking - mebbe other stuff should be considered with it, too, all at once???
Lets face it. By far most of the Theta customers have the CB custom installed and setup. They don't have room or want a separate box - hence they don't buy the Six Shooter. Ease of use and the custom installer not having to come back are priorities. They don't want to read AVS Forum to figure out how to do it. They don't even want to read the manual. And yea they will love less cables. The custom installer who sells them the product wants something simple - so whether now or in a few years, HDMI will at some point be it. I'm sure some custom installers are already moving to the Halcro and Lexicon, due to HDMI,
over Theta both due to HDMI and price. And the Valis will be a partial answer for Theta once they equip it with HDMI - but its not on the spec sheet for the current upcoming product - but the Valis must run with its own Virtu PowerDac multi-channel amplifier, and many custom installers and customers will want different amplifiers, so its important that the updated Casablanca be a reasonable price range in comparison to competitors like the Lexicon MC-12 HD and Halcro. Of course it can cost several thousand more than them for its quality.