Any comments on Von Schweikert speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 77 Old 11-01-2006, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seeking your comment/experience on Von Schweikert's VR-5 SE & VR-4 SR MK II.

Their sizes are similar to but prices much lower than that of Wilson's System 8. What are their sonic difference? Are they good/better buy?

Von Schweikert speakers are using multiple drivers. Is the sound well 'integrated'?

Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 11-02-2006, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

You're talking about a subjective preference. What is better to one person isn't to another. In the end, after listening to both you're going to have to buy what you like best and not worry about what anyone else thinks

Personally I prefer VS to Wilson, as the times I've heard Wilson they've sounded a bit sterile. But to others here, WA can do no wrong.

Cheers,

Contributing Editor & Surround Music Reviewer Widescreen Review
Opinions are mine, not the publication I write for.
post #3 of 77 Old 11-04-2006, 09:53 AM

I have the new 5SE. They are outstanding speakers, much better then the Wilson 8's. The best I have heard. Shop around and you can find them for a better price. Check with Shane(the home theater doctor) a great person to work with.
post #4 of 77 Old 11-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Yes the new VR-5 se is a great looking and sounding speaker.
post #5 of 77 Old 11-04-2006, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hi tc828 and johnbr,

Please share with us your experience on using/auditioning the VR-5 SE.
In Hong Kong, there is only one single Von Schweikert agent. The speakers are driven by CDP & amps from Spectral & Audio Research. Home trial is not available. Wilson Audio is carried by another agent so a direct comparison is impossible.

Thanks a lot!
post #6 of 77 Old 11-04-2006, 07:42 PM

I don't have much to offer other than I have been interested in the VS speakers as well. And recently at a similar price point VMPS speakers have interested me too. You may want to look into them. Even with importing.

kw........
post #7 of 77 Old 11-04-2006, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi

I have only recently auditioned the VS speakers, I have been extremely impressed, the VR 5 is simply on the phenomenal side, better IMHO than the WA WP7...
I am recently enough to think about acquiring a VS speaker in the near future... At least a VR-7 but the VR 9 SE is not out of the question..

Now VMPS... My first and only encounter with a VMPS was almost 15 years ago... at a New York Audiophile Society meet.... I was utterly unimpressed to say the least... I have not heard a VMPS since. The company remains in business, striving... it looks like they are doing something right. I am puzzled by them as some people who have heard become quick convert sand I have not heard bitter negative reactions about them... The price is very "normal" certainly out of VS range... anyone has heard them?...
Sarry about derailing the thread...

Frantz
post #8 of 77 Old 11-05-2006, 04:46 AM

Frantz...if you are a fan of the Von Schweikert sound, you will still be very unimpressed with VMPS speakers...

Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com
post #9 of 77 Old 11-05-2006, 07:38 AM

PhilNYC,

Could you explain why? I was interested in the VS and VMPS speakers, but I won't have an opportunity to listen to the VMPS easily . It'll be a loooong drive. Start a new thread if you want on it. Sorry about the off-track bit.

FrantzM, from your input I'm also interested in more feedback from others on VMPS. VMPS certainly have tweaked things a lot in the last 15 years. I don't understand your price sentence. From what I can tell, the higher end VMPS stuff goes from $7k-$22K and more for upgrade options.

kw.....
post #10 of 77 Old 11-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Keung I herd them with SimAudio new line The sound was airy open dynamic.The vr's love the new line From SimAudio.
post #11 of 77 Old 11-05-2006, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi

I am not sure that VMPS is in the VS ... My point about the price was that their top of the line is not in the stratospheric region topping at less than 30 K whereas VS tops at 150K...
VS came up with the VR-10 whose complement of drivers especially in the bass looks much more formidable than the current top-of-the line, the VR-11 SE...

Frantz
post #12 of 77 Old 11-06-2006, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post

PhilNYC,

Could you explain why? I was interested in the VS and VMPS speakers, but I won't have an opportunity to listen to the VMPS easily . It'll be a loooong drive. Start a new thread if you want on it. Sorry about the off-track bit.

I just think they have very different strengths and weaknesses; IMHO, VS speakers are tonally very rich, warm, balanced and smooth, whereas VMPS really tries to emphasize dynamics and extension....and IMHO, neither does what the other emphasizes as well (am not talking about the VR-7's and up...but trying to compare similarly-priced models).

Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com
post #13 of 77 Old 11-06-2006, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Any truth to the rumor on the web that Von Schwiekert no longer sells current product to its many U.S. dealers who are now former dealers, and that the only current U.S. dealer is its web based sales?

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #14 of 77 Old 11-06-2006, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Hi FrantzM,

Yes, the new VR-10 MkII is huge. I wonder how big an appropriate the listening room should be, considering their eight 15" subwoofers. It's also a puzzle that it's costing only half of that of VR-11.

I don't think many audiophiles here in Hong Kong have space to accomodate VR-10's four monsterous towers. Their 5 & 4 series are more suitable for in Hong Kong because most of us live in apartments with limited listening space.
post #15 of 77 Old 11-06-2006, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Any truth to the rumor on the web that Von Schwiekert no longer sells current product to its many U.S. dealers who are now former dealers, and that the only current U.S. dealer is its web based sales?

I put in a Manhattan zip code, and up popped 5 dealers within a 100 mile radius. Now whether these are active dealers or not I could not tell you.

post #16 of 77 Old 11-06-2006, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilNYC View Post

I just think they have very different strengths and weaknesses; IMHO, VS speakers are tonally very rich, warm, balanced and smooth, whereas VMPS really tries to emphasize dynamics and extension....and IMHO, neither does what the other emphasizes as well (am not talking about the VR-7's and up...but trying to compare similarly-priced models).

Phil

I have bee extremely impressed with VS speakers... They cover most of the bases in music reproduction IMHO. I am particularly impressed with the bass performance of the VR5... up there or rather down low with the best...

The VS I have heard have dynamic and extensions in spades.... The VMPS I did hear was very "Hi-Fi" sounding

Frantz
post #17 of 77 Old 11-06-2006, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keung View Post

Their 5 & 4 series are more suitable for in Hong Kong because most of us live in apartments with limited listening space.

Similar question. For a non-dedicated 330 sq feet room what would be the appropriate sized VSA?

IGNORANCE IS A BLISS
post #18 of 77 Old 11-07-2006, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrantzM View Post

Phil

I have bee extremely impressed with VS speakers... They cover most of the bases in music reproduction IMHO. I am particularly impressed with the bass performance of the VR5... up there or rather down low with the best...

FWIW, I didn't mean to imply that VS speakers don't have extension...but simply that VMPS tends to focus on that aspect of their speakers.

Quote:

The VS I have heard have dynamic and extensions in spades.... The VMPS I did hear was very "Hi-Fi" sounding

Also FWIW, I do agree that the VS-1 does have fantastic dynamics for a little monitor...and actually, it (and the VR-2) are the two VS speakers that I actually don't like very much. Also, fwiw, I strongly prefer VS speakers over VMPS...

Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com
post #19 of 77 Old 11-07-2006, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

The story I heard was that VS angered their brick/mortar dealers by dumping a ton of inventory to their web-based dealers at a big discount. Don't know if it resulted in specific changes in business policy, but I am under the impression that a lot of VS dealers stopped being VS dealers because of it...

Sonic Spirits Inc.
www.sonicspirits.com
post #20 of 77 Old 11-07-2006, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi

I would hate to see this affect this line of speakers. they are outstanding... Among the elite...

Frantz
post #21 of 77 Old 11-07-2006, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilNYC View Post

The story I heard was that VS angered their brick/mortar dealers by dumping a ton of inventory to their web-based dealers at a big discount. Don't know if it resulted in specific changes in business policy, but I am under the impression that a lot of VS dealers stopped being VS dealers because of it...

When they started the web based business didn't the retail price of the speakers go up a pretty good amount - although I understand the web seller will then give some discount???

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
post #22 of 77 Old 11-09-2006, 11:10 AM

I am interested in a VS VR4-SR Mark II. The web dealership is giving a 30% discount on the VS line. We had a VS dealer in town where I was able to audition the VR4-JR before they closed shop few months ago. Closest dealer is about 200 miles away now!

Check this
http://www.higherfi.com/order_vsa.htm
post #23 of 77 Old 11-09-2006, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Call Steve Monte at Quest for Sound (Philadelphia), as he has stocked the VS speakers prior to their going web. You may get a good deal.

post #24 of 77 Old 11-11-2006, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farid Muakkassa View Post

I am interested in a VS VR4-SR Mark II. The web dealership is giving a 30% discount on the VS line. We had a VS dealer in town where I was able to audition the VR4-JR before they closed shop few months ago. Closest dealer is about 200 miles away now!

Check this
http://www.higherfi.com/order_vsa.htm

Didn't VS raise their prices by about that much when the started the web sales?
So where's the bargain?

If the dealers are unhappy and no longer actively promoting VS, I would think you'd be able to finage a good better price with the dealer who no longer wants to carry VS speakers due to the web sales.

post #25 of 77 Old 11-12-2006, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Steve:

If you do the math, you'll see the sale price - the discount gets you the original MSRP.

Cheers,

post #26 of 77 Old 11-12-2006, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kotches View Post

Steve:

If you do the math, you'll see the sale price - the discount gets you the original MSRP.

Cheers,

I was waiting for a math whiz to take the bait and tell me what I already knew. HA!!!!

post #27 of 77 Old 11-13-2006, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

In short, I find VMPS speakers to be more transparent and dynamic than the comparable VS models I've heard, but the VSs image a bit better, particularly in terms of depth. And I agree w/Phil -- they are warmer sounding. It all depends on your taste.
post #28 of 77 Old 12-25-2006, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Von Schweikert has been an odd company ever since they opened in the mid-90's. They've moved their manufacturing around, gone through more product line changes than any company I've ever known, and had several up and down finanical periods.

Their literature & white papers frankly read like a load of BS much of the time. Every couple of years Albert discovers new drivers that are phenomenally better than the old ones. And then two years later this repeats again. And again.

The designs don't seem to have near the same rigorous science behind them as most other high-end speakers.

Yet somehow through all of this, Albert comes up with some truly wonderful sounding speakers. He's got a touch for this, even though his explainations read more like magic than sound audio principles.

I kinda don't want to like VS speakers, because of how much BS is in their literature and how the designs bounce around. A new example of this is how their new center speaker can be timbre-matched to any speaker using their "UTM" circuit:
http://www.vonschweikert.com/zvisiun.htm

All of that said, I've had a chance to audition a number of them over the years and found several of them to be extremely nice. A few months ago I had a chance to compare the VR-5 SE vs Wilson Sophias for a couple of hours in a good listening room, using my own CDs. I came away liking the VR-5's better, even though I wanted to like the Sophias better.

The soundstage, openness, and apparent realism of the VR-5 SEs were amazing. The Sophias were a little tighter & had great resolution, but when we cranked up the VS's, one became immersed in the music.

I'd love to hear the higher end VS speakers, something using a ribbon tweeter.
post #29 of 77 Old 12-27-2006, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Bombadil View Post

Von Schweikert has been an odd company ever since they opened in the mid-90's. They've moved their manufacturing around, gone through more product line changes than any company I've ever known, and had several up and down finanical periods.

Their literature & white papers frankly read like a load of BS much of the time. Every couple of years Albert discovers new drivers that are phenomenally better than the old ones. And then two years later this repeats again. And again.

The designs don't seem to have near the same rigorous science behind them as most other high-end speakers.

Yet somehow through all of this, Albert comes up with some truly wonderful sounding speakers. He's got a touch for this, even though his explainations read more like magic than sound audio principles.

I kinda don't want to like VS speakers, because of how much BS is in their literature and how the designs bounce around. A new example of this is how their new center speaker can be timbre-matched to any speaker using their "UTM" circuit:
http://www.vonschweikert.com/zvisiun.htm

All of that said, I've had a chance to audition a number of them over the years and found several of them to be extremely nice. A few months ago I had a chance to compare the VR-5 SE vs Wilson Sophias for a couple of hours in a good listening room, using my own CDs. I came away liking the VR-5's better, even though I wanted to like the Sophias better.

The soundstage, openness, and apparent realism of the VR-5 SEs were amazing. The Sophias were a little tighter & had great resolution, but when we cranked up the VS's, one became immersed in the music.

I'd love to hear the higher end VS speakers, something using a ribbon tweeter.

To be fair, the 5SE costs significantly more than the Sophia and should be compared to the W/P 7-8
post #30 of 77 Old 12-27-2006, 06:23 PM

The 5SE are better speakers than the Wilson 7 or 8's
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page