For all D-Box enthusiasts ! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 72Likes

post #451 of 6682 Old 09-25-2007, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why would I continue to pay the yearly subscription when none of the motion codes are being released so that I can use them? I only purchase the blu-ray version of movies. I have a home theater set-up that is comparable to most movie theaters. Why wouldn't I upgrade my DVDs to the better quality. Seriously, the only movies that I purchase in the regular format are movies for my kids. Why do I care about the motion codes for those movies? I understand the motion codes for movies that aren't released on blu-ray, but given the choice I'm going to choose blu-ray. Is anybody waiting for the release of the second Fantastic Four? I guess I'll have to wait and see what version to get based on what the motion codes are done for. 10 to 1 it's on dvd not blu-ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 6682 Old 09-25-2007, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

D-BOX seems to have some degree of confusion over "The Home theater market" vs. "D-BOX owners Home theater market". I have heard things such as "there is a format war", etc... Maybe for the regular home theater market there is a format war, but for D-BOX OWNERS, WE ALL HAVE BLU RAY and HD-DVD players. Releasing DVD codes is meaningless for a movie that has been simultaneously released on a HD format: like Shooter, 300, and Saw 3....

Saw 3 and Shooter were released on Blu Ray and DVD at the same time, and the meaningless DVD codes were released in August... Yet still no Blu Ray codes? The point is that anyone who owns D-BOX is not going to own 300 DVD or Shooter DVD, they are going to own the Blu Ray version.

What should have happened? D-BOX should know that their consumers are not typical home theater owners and that ALL D-Box owners do not buy the DVD version, so releasing the DVD version of Shooter and 300 was pointless... At the very least the version released ***FIRST*** should have been the Blu Ray track, and then if there needed to be a delay due to manpower shortage, release the DVD track LATER... there should be no question to D-Box that any movie released on Blu Ray simultaneously with a DVD, should have the Blu Ray track done FIRST. It is simply knowing what your customer base needs are... Need to prioritize the Blu Ray tracks first from now on....
post #453 of 6682 Old 09-25-2007, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is anybody waiting for the release of the second Fantastic Four? I guess I'll have to wait and see what version to get based on what the motion codes are done for. 10 to 1 it's on dvd not blu-ray

You mean like 300?? One of the hottest releases ever... I'm sorry but that title should have had such a priority for Blu Ray that it should have been out no later than 2 weeks after its release, preferably day and date... I'm still miffed at the huge delay of such a big title.

So yes, I would expect Silver Surfer to have the Blu Ray motion codes day and date... OH, but this is a FOX title, so yes, the codes will be on the Blu ray already, but this is only with FOX titles unfortunately... So in this case, only because Silver Surfer is a FOX title, will it be available day and date on the Blu Ray release...

The point is that all Blu ray titles should be prioritized (over any DVD track)... Silver Surfer just hapens to be FOX, so on that one movie we are in luck...
post #454 of 6682 Old 09-26-2007, 02:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

I wonder where Yannick has gone?

( B ) ( G ) ( R ) BlendZilla DownUnder ( R ) ( G ) ( B ) - Tubes of Fury
post #455 of 6682 Old 09-26-2007, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

I agree %100 with all of the complaints above.
I've spent a fortune for D-Box and I enjoy it very much, BUT two things really makes me mad.

- Codes for BR movies come out very late

- STILL no support for HD-DVD (why is it so difficult to get this thing solved. I've been asking for this nearly for a year)

Maybe we should all write to D-Box for these problems instead of writing on this board. I'll e-mail them tonight.
post #456 of 6682 Old 09-26-2007, 07:09 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino AUS View Post

I wonder where Yannick has gone?

I just got off the phone with Simon in Tech Support (888 442-3269, press 2), and Yannick is off building a (motion simulation?) deck at his new house. He will be back on Monday.

Simon mentioned they have to purchase the movies and then start working on the codes...they do not get advance copies. So, that explains a little bit the delays we are seeing.

He also mentioned he received a call from a dealer in California yesterday pointing out that if people invest all this money, they will have high-def players as well. He mentioned this to some of his colleagues as well.

Basically, I think they received the message. However, if you would like to express your concerns, Simon said to feel free to call him.

Mark
post #457 of 6682 Old 09-26-2007, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I just e-mailed Yannick to express my concerns, and asked him to come back here and respond.

Phil
post #458 of 6682 Old 09-26-2007, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

you know what, Health nut nailed it! why the heck would they worry about supporting the lowest common denominator- dbox users have the money for he best stuff! Anyway, good point.

Along those same lines- they have to buy the disks like everyone else? Go slip a stock boy at target 20 bucks! I mean, my friend was playing Halo 3 Friday- 4 days before release. 300 is not shipped "iPhone style" where it arrives day and date at the store- go find a source, make a friend, give a bribe- whatever- and make these key hd releases a priority. If I could talk my way in to a Hummer H1 test drive weekend when I was 20 and broke, D-Box can get the movies sooner than the day they hit store shelves!

And- second edit- download the freakin' movie! Do the motion codes for the dvd screener that always gets leaked, then sync it when you get the final disk. Make a rough approximation of the motion you will want to use int eh movie as a first draft, then polish it off of the final disk. I don't know, but i agree that they should be done quicker.
post #459 of 6682 Old 09-27-2007, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I just heard from Yannick, and he sends his best to everyone, and says he will put pressure on the BD releases. He will be back in next week, and will check in here and update everyone. He promises that there are lots of good things in the pipeline and that we will all feel the benefits soon.

Phil
post #460 of 6682 Old 09-28-2007, 06:55 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post

I just heard from Yannick, and he sends his best to everyone, and says he will put pressure on the BD releases. He will be back in next week, and will check in here and update everyone. He promises that there are lots of good things in the pipeline and that we will all feel the benefits soon.

Should we make a consolidated list of questions for him to make it easier?

For example:

Will the current PC3 controller software work with Windows Vista? If not, when will the software be updated?

Any news about the rumored new controller with an integrated Bluray drive?

I can't think of any other right now.

Just copy my the text of my questions and paste it into a new post, adding your questions.

Mark
post #461 of 6682 Old 09-28-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

My addition is at the bottom:

Will the current PC3 controller software work with Windows Vista? If not, when will the software be updated?

HD-DVD- we need some concrete answers or a specific update on when or if HD-DVD will be supported. It is obvious the format war will be prolonged, so it is obvious that it needs to be supported.
post #462 of 6682 Old 09-28-2007, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
As a big time supporter of D-Box, I have to admit that I have been getting pretty irked lately. The HD-DVD situation is not a small issue, I have been told. The signal coming out of the SPDIF is never the same, or something along those lines, so there is no way to sync. Short of Toshiba introducing a player that sends the 5.1 signal out like a standard DVD or D-Box modifying and selling their own branded HD-DVD player, I don't see a quick fix. But I am not an engineer, this is just based on conversations I had at last year's CEDIA Expo. I just manually sync a DVD rip of the movie playing on a cheap DVD player to the HD-DVD. It is not ideal, but works.

The slow release of codes has me truly disappointed. This is an expensive system. I know their goal may be to become standard, but that's not happening anytime soon. Priorities should go to BD and to working on the HD-DVD issue. I think they should look at training other "authoring houses". They have to find a way to keep recurring revenue or we will find ourselves one day without any updated codes.

Just my $0.02 Have a great weekend everyone.
post #463 of 6682 Old 09-28-2007, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't see why we would need a Bu Ray drive, in fact, I'm not sure of the point of having the Blu Ray codes on the movies: Why? because if the codes are already on the movie, then they have already been completed anyway and would be available for download... So I'm not sure I understand...

The big priorities:

1) Forget about the DVD code first then Blu Ray a month or so later: Stupid!! Blu Ray code first, DVD code later if needed...

300, Shooter, Saw 3: All only on DVD and completely useless. Sure they will come out a month or so later, but what is the point? they should have been out on Blu Ray first, not DVD.

2) Controller with HDMI support for the controller so we can use our uncompressed PCM audio

3) HD-DVD support...

4) 2 inch excursions
post #464 of 6682 Old 09-28-2007, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I completely agree.

As for the syncing issue, what about using the hdmi output?
post #465 of 6682 Old 09-29-2007, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess if Fox is going to be making a big deal over D-Box, then they will eventually have to have their own motion code programmers. I really hope they can sell all the studios on the idea so we can have more day and date releases. Get the studios involved and responsible for their own titles, then D-Box just has to concentrate on titles from other studios and owner requests. Things just seem to have stalled lately. Not really sure what's going on and I've been away from the forum and my HT. I will say Yannick is a super guy and I know he wants the same things we do regarding release dates, HD-DVD support, etc.
post #466 of 6682 Old 09-29-2007, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess if Fox is going to be making a big deal over D-Box, then they will eventually have to have their own motion code programmers.

Yes, that would be great... As far as a Blu Ray drive for a controller, Fox would just give the codes to the D-BOX server anyway, so still no need to have the codes on the disc... But yes, would be wonderful to get Fox and others to actually start programming D-BOX tracks, and also discrete tactile transducer tracks for those that cannot afford the motion simulation...
post #467 of 6682 Old 09-29-2007, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

D-Box adds alot to the experience. From a marketing standpoint, it's good business for the studios. Let's face it, I don't think I'm alone when I say that I've purchased a boatload of DVD's based solely on the fact that they were on the D-Box pdf list of programmed titles.
post #468 of 6682 Old 09-29-2007, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I wanted to add. I agree that there is really no reason for a BD reader in the controllers. If the codes are indeed on the discs, then they should be on the server for download from D-Box.
post #469 of 6682 Old 09-29-2007, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

hello everyone,

Quick note to all as I just got my new house and I don't have internet yet so this is why I was out. A lot of activity lately! I don't have time right now to answer everything but I can tell you that the BD release (300 shooter and saw 3 are a problem and I will see what is going on upon my return I have already emailed Phil's emails and copy paste a good part of the thread. We take your comments very seriously and normally take action in the proper direction.

A few things I need to point out. Motion codes on the Disk may not look like a wonderful idea to you at the moment because you get the download anyway but what if our chip gets into a bluray player with a D-Box output and that you can read and experience D-BOX from the original track. Remember we are setting a new standard, no dates on anything I'm saying right now but all I can say is that this is where we are going. We have Fox at the moment but all the other studios are interested so it's only a matter of time and what about commercial theaters... they are looking for new ways to get people back to the theatres, we have a solution for them ... Plus gaming, if you are wondering what good the GP-200 can do well ask HP... they are now endorsing our motion technology and will sell/promote/market it.
http://www.cnxmarketlink.com/en/rele.../28/c6249.html

We are at a turning point right now and if we are a little slow on the releases again our Motion Artist are working full time coding so at one point you will get a load of motion codes for movies...
I have to admit that on some great movies (like 300) priorities haven't been put where it needed. I'll make sure we correct this in the future.

CEDIA has been a great show for D-BOX (better than we expected) and the next 12 months will bring a lot of good.

I should be more active this week but again without a connection at home it's tough...

Cheers,
post #470 of 6682 Old 09-30-2007, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I am so excited to see the game chair with a retail sales channel. Man oh man, that will turn some heads towards D-Box. Any chance of hardware costs declining with increased sales?

Oh- and can you please give us another update on hddvd- transformers is coming out!
post #471 of 6682 Old 10-01-2007, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

I am so excited to see the game chair with a retail sales channel. Man oh man, that will turn some heads towards D-Box. Any chance of hardware costs declining with increased sales?

Oh- and can you please give us another update on hddvd- transformers is coming out!

Well next year we are going to have some different products at some more affordable prices

HDDVD no word on anything at the moment sorry guys... When we have any news I will for sure spread the word
post #472 of 6682 Old 10-01-2007, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Welcome back Yannick.
Thanks for passing along our wishes for more BD title codes.

Phil
post #473 of 6682 Old 10-01-2007, 10:47 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Should we make a consolidated list of questions for him to make it easier?

For example:

Mark

Yannick, please address the above questions.

Thanks.

Mark
post #474 of 6682 Old 10-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

Yannick, please address the above questions.

Thanks.

Mark

The PC3 works with Vista without any update... if you need a hand to set it up let me know.

Regarding the controller with a Bluray drive it's available if you want one but between you and me not needed... Like you know you are able to download via web the motion codes embeded on the disk. The day a player is out on the market with D-BOX capabilities then we can talk and this is the reason why motion codes are on the disks...
post #475 of 6682 Old 10-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post

Welcome back Yannick.
Thanks for passing along our wishes for more BD title codes.

Not a problem... I brought the entire part with the discussion about the BD titles and things will be done differently and you should get the BD quicker. I take this seriously and I got the message across so everyone understands. Thanks
post #476 of 6682 Old 10-01-2007, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Yannick,

It's great to hear that you passed the BD discussions onto everyone at D-Box. Emotions run high on this thread and I think I have figured it out. Watching movies with motion codes is kind of like crack.
post #477 of 6682 Old 10-02-2007, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSHA222 View Post

Yannick,

It's great to hear that you passed the BD discussions onto everyone at D-Box. Emotions run high on this thread and I think I have figured it out. Watching movies with motion codes is kind of like crack.

Good I'm glad it drives people, not so much on the down side but hey! this is an opportunity to make things growing...
post #478 of 6682 Old 10-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Finally

Shooter
Day after tomorrow (Motion Code embeded)
Fantastic Four Silver surfer (Motion Code embeded)

Have fun!
post #479 of 6682 Old 10-02-2007, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Awesome

Phil
post #480 of 6682 Old 10-02-2007, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank-you.

I assume Fantastic 4 is online as well as embedded? That any future code embeded would also be avilable on the server day and date as well... (likely before since the code would be done *before* the Blu Ray disc is pressed)
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page