Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #4861 of 6451 Old 01-14-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 23
thxz for the info your gathered how many titles where released every year thxman.

Some updates on my investigation on the 'rattling' sound my D-Box system produces:

When playing the MFX DEMO MODE the 'rattling' sound is most present at the second (vibration) sequence of the demo mode at max intensity level. Here s a link to a sound I recorded during the demo mode:
http://www.2shared.com/video/IjABL1oz/P1050412.html
I hope the sound quality is good enough. If not, let me know because then I ll try to record it again with better equipment.

In order to be sure the rattling sound is not coming from the side modules I completely removed the middle covers (not the housing but the hub covers). I really messed it up: a few bolts that holds the housing did not came off. I tried everything but nothing worked. In the end I had to pull the hub cover of with some force. This way the housing around the bolts teared apart so I was finally able to removed the housings completely. The hub covers are complety not usable anymore and I can throw them away

I did not do a new test yet with the hub covers removed so I ll post my findings as soon a I tested but I already have some questions:

- I see some white glue-ish substance between some parts inside the hub housing. What is this exactly and will it be harmful to remove? And what if it is better to leave it on, will it react on dust?
- I also see some substance on two metal 'plates' in the middle of the motherboard that had direct contact with the hub cover. Was this meant like cooling paste in a PC?
- IF I get less rattling with the hub covers removed, will it be dangerous to leave it like this? (so with both the hub covers AND large plastic housing removed).

I did also send D-Box the same audio file you find in the link so Antonin from D-Box is also examining it.

And you guys think I can get new cover hubs from D-Box since they are broken?

@thxman: D-Box is also working on a auto power on and keyboard shortcut solution so your workaround will not be needed anymore.

Also have to give some really big credits to D-Box, especially Antonin!! He s really helping out and always responds extensively to my requests/emails!

btw: here s a link to a picture album of my D-Box setup:
http://imageshack.us/g/843/p1050388a.jpg/

EDIT: Things got more complicated. Two parts seen in the picture below (I think cooling blocks?) came loose because of the removal of the hub housing. As I said my hub housings are broken and cannot be installed back anymore. So this means the cooling blocks cannot be installed correct anymore. You guys think they are really needed to prevent overheating?

Should I not use my D-Box system until I contacted D-Box about this expirementing I m doing?

and by the way, the housing hub was not the problem causing the sound the D-Box system produces during vibrations so the removal of the hub (and broken hub housing which I now have ) was not needed after all......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 6451 Old 01-14-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

thxz for the info your gathered how many titles where released every year thxman.

Some updates on my investigation on the 'rattling' sound my D-Box system produces:

When playing the MFX DEMO MODE the 'rattling' sound is most present at the second (vibration) sequence of the demo mode at max intensity level. Here s a link to a sound I recorded during the demo mode:
http://www.2shared.com/video/IjABL1oz/P1050412.html
I hope the sound quality is good enough. If not, let me know because then I ll try to record it again with better equipment.

In order to be sure the rattling sound is not coming from the side modules I completely removed the middle covers (not the housing but the hub covers). I really messed it up: a few bolts that holds the housing did not came off. I tried everything but nothing worked. In the end I had to pull the hub cover of with some force. This way the housing around the bolts teared apart so I was finally able to removed the housings completely. The hub covers are complety not usable anymore and I can throw them away

I did not do a new test yet with the hub covers removed so I ll post my findings as soon a I tested but I already have some questions:

- I see some white glue-ish substance between some parts inside the hub housing. What is this exactly and will it be harmful to remove? And what if it is better to leave it on, will it react on dust?
- I also see some substance on two metal 'plates' in the middle of the motherboard that had direct contact with the hub cover. Was this meant like cooling paste in a PC?
- IF I get less rattling with the hub covers removed, will it be dangerous to leave it like this? (so with both the hub covers AND large plastic housing removed).

I did also send D-Box the same audio file you find in the link so Antonin from D-Box is also examining it.

And you guys think I can get new cover hubs from D-Box since they are broken?

@thxman: D-Box is also working on a auto power on and keyboard shortcut solution so your workaround will not be needed anymore.

Also have to give some really big credits to D-Box, especially Antonin!! He s really helping out and always responds extensively to my requests/emails!

btw: here s a link to a picture album of my D-Box setup:
http://imageshack.us/g/843/p1050388a.jpg/

EDIT: Things got more complicated. Two parts seen in the picture below (I think cooling blocks?) came loose because of the removal of the hub housing. As I said my hub housings are broken and cannot be installed back anymore. So this means the cooling blocks cannot be installed correct anymore. You guys think they are really needed to prevent overheating?

Should I not use my D-Box system until I contacted D-Box about this expirementing I m doing?

and by the way, the housing hub was not the problem causing the sound the D-Box system produces during vibrations so the removal of the hub (and broken hub housing which I now have ) was not needed after all......

I am very sorry to hear about all the issues you are having. I don't understand why the housing was so hard to pull off. I removed 4 of them and did not have any issues. I would stop what you are doing and try to get replacment parts. You don't want to cause damange that will make your system stop working.
post #4863 of 6451 Old 01-15-2012, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

could you also check the recorded MFX demo mode I posted in a download link and see if this sounds ok thxman (and other SRP-130,230 and 330 owners)
post #4864 of 6451 Old 01-15-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

could you also check the recorded MFX demo mode I posted in a download link and see if this sounds ok thxman (and other SRP-130,230 and 330 owners)

Sounds about right, mine was much worse with the entire plastic housing on it. Mine are in the arm rests now and only in demo mode do I hear anything outside of the actual vibrations. How bad is it for you during movies?
post #4865 of 6451 Old 01-15-2012, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I Want to Know if cars 3D or tron 3D works with dbox?

In fact i Want to Know if all 3D movies works with dbox

Thank you
post #4866 of 6451 Old 01-15-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

Sounds about right, mine was much worse with the entire plastic housing on it. Mine are in the arm rests now and only in demo mode do I hear anything outside of the actual vibrations. How bad is it for you during movies?

its not bad during movies but all I was thinking that it was not normal (something not right with the actuators). Now I m left with two hub housings I can throw away

I did inspect the mainboard that s under the hub a little further and noticed that there is a middle 'processor/memory' bank with connections for a third actuator I think; interesting!

I also tested my D-Box system and everything is fine so I m a bit relieved. I also now know that the two modules that you see on the picture above (which are connected to the mainboard with assistence of the hub; 4 screws in the middle) are just for cooling the memory banks they are attachted on. I ran a demo mode of 2 minutes and the memory banks only got handwarm. However, I assume D-Box has not put the cooling blocks there for fun so a 2 hour movie could maybe get the memory banks too hot. I m not going to take any risk and I m not running my D-Box system anymore until I spoke with D-Box. However, I did some more thinking and the mainboard controller hub cover could be not needed at all and can only cause unwanted vibrations one could notice. So I found these on the internet that might cool the memory banks enough. With these I could skip the controller hub housing and only put the main plastic housing on the SRP modules (with of course some kind of substance between the edges of the plastic housing to prevent rattling):

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/ra...27/rc-pro.html
post #4867 of 6451 Old 01-15-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Thanks, so they announced:
  • Contraband 1/13
  • TheGrey 1/27
  • Journey2: The Mysterious Island 2/10
  • Act Of Valor 2/24
  • John Carter 3/9
  • Hunger Games 3/23

Now for my wish list, ** Next to my really really wants
  • Wrath of the Titans 3/30
  • The Avengers 5/4**
  • Battleship 5/18
  • Men in Black3 5/25
  • Prometheus 6/8**
  • Jack the Giant killer 6/15**
  • G.I.Joe:Retaliation 6/29
  • The Amaxing Spider-Man 7/3**
  • The Dark Knight Rises 7/20**
  • The Bouren Legacy 8/3
  • Total Recall 8/3
  • The Expendables II 8/17

I am pleased to confirm the following additional titles for theatrical release with D-Box this year:

Cabin in the Woods 4/13
The Avengers 5/4

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that I watched Unknown last night. I'm still not sure why it took six months to code (perhaps it kept getting pushed to the back burner?), but there are indeed a lot of motion effects in the movie. The MFX for the explosion in the last quarter of the film are great. Also, for the record, I really enjoyed the movie.

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #4868 of 6451 Old 01-15-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvais View Post

The Avengers 5/4

Yes, looks like I will be making the trip to a Theater with D-Box. Now they just need to code Capt America in time so that we can watch all the movies that lead up to it!
post #4869 of 6451 Old 01-16-2012, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhonzi View Post

Hi,
It's me again with questions about BTTF The Ride, again. I've traded lots of e-mails with D-Box and now they want me to send them my 340c for service, which I can't imagine is the real problem...

Can anyone who has the Ride confirm that the front display shows: "DTS_I_(L+R)" as the audio source?

I was reading about different versions of BTTF BD and I have the "newer slimmer packaging" but I doubt the discs themselves changed.

For some reason, I still don't have The Ride listed on my list of titles.

Add me to the list of 340C users that can't get the Ride codes to show up or work. xhonzi, did you and D-Box ever work out a solution on this matter?

Hail to the King, baby!
post #4870 of 6451 Old 01-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Add me to the list of 340C users that can't get the Ride codes to show up or work. xhonzi, did you and D-Box ever work out a solution on this matter?

Nope. At the end, they told me I could send it in for them to fix.

Do you have access to any other version of the ride- DVD or early BD?

My thoughts boiled down to this:
1. The audio source showed "DTS_I_(L+R)", which doesn't really exist as such on my 340c. I think I recall seeing DTS_2.0, which is maybe the same thing, but I don't know.

2. The Ride doesn't show up on my controller at all. Attempts to load it, and only it, off of a disk told me there was "nothing to update". D-Box told me to rename the index and put on an index that only had The Ride on it. The The Ride was listed on the controller, but I still suspect there was an audio type mismatch.

If you fix it or want to discuss it further, let me know.
post #4871 of 6451 Old 01-17-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought the BD was the 1st time the ride showed up with MFX.
post #4872 of 6451 Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I thought the BD was the 1st time the ride showed up with MFX.

I'm pretty sure it's on the 25th Anniversay DVDs that were released at the same time as the BDs.
post #4873 of 6451 Old 01-18-2012, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYAmanIGN View Post

Thanks! I'll invade your thread from time to time.

But I'd like official D-box reps to chime in, they're here right?

Did this thread get started?
post #4874 of 6451 Old 01-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomara80 View Post

Hi

I Want to Know if cars 3D or tron 3D works with dbox?

In fact i Want to Know if all 3D movies works with dbox

Thank you

http://www.livetheaction.com/motionc...t_Viewlist.php

Here is a full and searchable list of all D-Box compatible titles. A large number of 3D movies are compatible, since the kind of thing that makes for a good 3D movie is the same thing that makes for a good D-Box movie... but certainly not yet all of them.

To answer your question direcyly, Cars 2 and Tron Legacy (in 2D and 3D) are both supported.
post #4875 of 6451 Old 01-18-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nope. At the end, they told me I could send it in for them to fix.

My thoughts boiled down to this:
1. The audio source showed "DTS_I_(L+R)", which doesn't really exist as such on my 340c. I think I recall seeing DTS_2.0, which is maybe the same thing, but I don't know.

2. The Ride doesn't show up on my controller at all. Attempts to load it, and only it, off of a disk told me there was "nothing to update". D-Box told me to rename the index and put on an index that only had The Ride on it. The The Ride was listed on the controller, but I still suspect there was an audio type mismatch.

If you fix it or want to discuss it further, let me know.

Thanks for the info, maybe all 340C owners are affected? Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now to send mine back to D-Box for repair.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #4876 of 6451 Old 01-18-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Dang it, I can't get AVSForum's YouTube ID tag to work right. Anyway, well here's Mario talking up D-Box @ home at CES.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uov0MX7kGXw

Hail to the King, baby!
post #4877 of 6451 Old 01-18-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dang it, I can't get AVSForum's YouTube ID tag to work right. Anyway, well here's Mario talking up D-Box @ home at CES.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uov0MX7kGXw

Thanks for sharing.
post #4878 of 6451 Old 01-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info, maybe all 340C owners are affected? Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now to send mine back to D-Box for repair.

Hmmm... can the rest of the 340c owners chime in and say whether "Ride...BTTF, The"* is listed on your list of titles?

*Appx title, but it is under "R".
post #4879 of 6451 Old 01-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Interesting story about Taiwanese capacitors from ~1999 to ~2008. I lost a lot of electronics to the plague.*

*But I got a couple of them back!
post #4880 of 6451 Old 01-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Star Trek V is up today. As if anyone will ever watch Star Trek V.
post #4881 of 6451 Old 01-19-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Star Trek V is up today. As if anyone will ever watch Star Trek V.

You know I hated it when it came out, but it has actually kind of grown on me. Yes, D-box codes would get me to watch it again.

Matt
post #4882 of 6451 Old 01-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

You know I hated it when it came out, but it has actually kind of grown on me. Yes, D-box codes would get me to watch it again.

I feel that way about 7... but I don't think I'll ever feel that way about 5. But then... I haven't seen it in over a decade.
post #4883 of 6451 Old 01-19-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Interesting story about Taiwanese capacitors from ~1999 to ~2008. I lost a lot of electronics to the plague.*

*But I got a couple of them back!

Stolen formula, incorrectly/incompletely from a Japanese company... not surprising. Seems that part of the country steals lots of info and doesn't care... nothing new.

So am I correct that D-Box has not coded Captain America yet? I gave up on caring for a while again, I got so disappointed with the delay on tons of new releases. I already watched it 5 months ago. They had access to the Bu Ray for how long now? That's the kind of misses I just don't get. How do you not prioritize Captain America?

I guess I'll see Real Steel next, that seems like a good day and date movie.
post #4884 of 6451 Old 01-19-2012, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Nut View Post

They had access to the Bu Ray for how long now?

Since 25 Oct, which is not 5 months ago.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #4885 of 6451 Old 01-20-2012, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I had a conversation with D-Box support asking questions about my riser build and this was mentioned:

"The carpet padding is up to you to decide, with the heaviness of the equipment the padding will soon be compressed.

If you wish to protect the floor you can place the aluminum cup that we provide with our equipments underneath the actuators."

What are these aluminum cups that he describes, and are they worthwhile? I got my system from 2 different sources used, and I have none of these. I'm also integrating Crowson Transducers as part of the setup, so I'm not sure how they would fit in since they already go under the chair legs (of course not every one of my 5 seats will have Crowson).

It sounds like I'll have to purchase them if I want them...don't have a price though...

Matt
post #4886 of 6451 Old 01-20-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Just to confirm, you have a love seat with actuators built in and 2 2-axis single chairs, correct? The bottoms of the actuators have a rounded, ball like tip. These sit in the metal cups much like a ball joint. You can see some of them in sanderdvd’s links above:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/p1050405l.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/p1050410r.jpg/
post #4887 of 6451 Old 01-20-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Captain America is up (and moving)!!

Hail to the King, baby!
post #4888 of 6451 Old 01-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Captain America is up (and moving)!!

W00t!
post #4889 of 6451 Old 01-20-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

W00t!

YES!!!!! Thanks!
post #4890 of 6451 Old 01-21-2012, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I m still in the situation where I can t use my D-Box system because I broke the middle hub housings which takes care of the cooling of the actuator 'processors' (two black chips where red arrows point to you can see in the first picture) together with the cooling modules in the second picture. I have mailed D-Box about this but haven t heard from them yet. I have a feeling that new hub housing parts will be quite expensive. So I m thinking that custom cooling is a good alternative. This way I will also have the advantage of not needing the hub housing at all which will result in less parts that can cause rattling. The problem however is that I don t know how hot they are getting with the custom cooling I made as you can see on the first picture (chopper high quality cooling blocks from Enzotech). Of course I felt with my hands on the cooling blocks. After 20 minutes of playback they got quite hot (I could still touch them without burning my hands but it was quite hot already) and to be sure I didn t run any further and shut down my D-Box system. What s really important to know is what happens when they will run too hot. For instance, a pc has a build-in protection that will shut down the pc if a processor reaches a max temperature that can harm the processor. What I need to know is if D-Box has a same advanced system or if the processors will just fry to death when they will get too hot.
@thxman (and others )The temperatures I see in the advanced settings of the MCI control panel are not the temperatures of the 'processors' I assume?
As you can see my D-Box motherboard is different the yours: With mine there is a third (not used) processor installed in the middle.....

EDIT:
Looked again at the MCI Advanced Control Panel menu and I noticed a setting 'IGBT temp' (red arrow in picture below). Maybe this is the temperate of the 'processors'?

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page