post #4981 of 6505 Old 03-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhonzi View Post

Who here uses their Harmony remotes with their D-Box controllers, 340c in particular? I loaded the codes for mine, but the controller doesn't respond to it. Do I need to boost the signal or is there something else required to make it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvais View Post

I use a Harmony One with my 340C and it has always worked fine. I'm not sure how to address the problem you're having. Maybe you should see if a software update is available for your model.

What categories do you find the 340c under? I'm trying to use the one under "Home Appliance: D-Box" and then I manually type in Motion Controller 340c. Still not working with my Harmony.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4982 of 6505 Old 03-02-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty M View Post

Update on Hugo. I received the following response from D-box:

"Our motion director watched the movie and after evaluation, it’s been decided that there are not enough movements to add D-BOX support to this movie."

I already watched Hugo. I'd have to disagree. Also, its not just about motion, it is about tactile. That is a really lame response. There are plenty of scenes that would benefit this coding this movie. Besides, as I have stated before, it is an advantage to code movies with less action as well becasue the several scenes that have action, have more of an impact than movies like G.I. Joe where you get hammered the entire movie and become desensitized to some degree.

Anyway, I don't like the response, or the reason given. Besides, it is that much faster to code if they feel that way.
post #4983 of 6505 Old 03-03-2012, 11:50 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Nut View Post

I already watched Hugo. I'd have to disagree. Also, its not just about motion, it is about tactile. That is a really lame response. There are plenty of scenes that would benefit this coding this movie. Besides, as I have stated before, it is an advantage to code movies with less action as well becasue the several scenes that have action, have more of an impact than movies like G.I. Joe where you get hammered the entire movie and become desensitized to some degree.

Anyway, I don't like the response, or the reason given. Besides, it is that much faster to code if they feel that way.

There is more than enough action in Hugo to justify the coding. Maybe we should all list the dumb movies they coded in the past that have very little movement. I haven't watched Contagion with D-Box, but it is hard to believe it has more action or motion than Hugo.

And I don't intend any disrespect to Drvais, but his logs are NOT correct. Hugo was on the list, and three of us saw it. The explanation from D-Box is so short and abrupt as to clearly suggest some other motive. Hugo was on the list, and then it was removed from the list. And the explanation is basically one of 'we ignore input from our loyal customers. Regardless of how many awards or critical acclaim it has received, we aren't coding it, regardless of your requests.'

Quote:

You just reminded me, The Hurt Locker is still AWOL from the world of MFX. Too bad.

Btw, in other news, it looks like the Czech Republic received another huge batch of re-syncs today.

The motion director must be Czech, given the number of films they code for a small nation with a very small population. (Or the Czech Republic must have an astonishingly high proportion of D-Box owners given their smaller population as countries go.)

I wonder what disingenuous or absurd excuse D-Box would give for not ever coding the Hurt Locker, since it clearly has motion? What the Hurt Locker and Hugo have in common is that they received critical acclaim and won numerous awards. That must explain the failure to code those films, as it is the only common denominator between the two films. The Hurt Locker has plenty of motion, and won the Academy Awards for Best Film, Best Director, and Best Screen Play. Despite numerous requests on this web site at the time, it was never coded.

It would appear that to move to the top of the D-Box priority list for coding, a film should be released in the Czech Republic; receive no awards or critical acclaim; and be filled with static images with little movement showing dead bodies from a pandemic. Oh, I forgot. And it would still take two to four months for the coding to be released.

So let's add an important criteria for coding, assuming that D-Box even monitors this site. Since we all own their extravagantly expensive product, it is a safe bet that many of us own other cutting edge technology, namely 3D. Films released in 3D should be given special preference, assuming they are reasonably good as movies go. Those films should be coded in both 2D and the 3D versions. Hugo falls in that category. The Adventures of Tintin is the next important 3D film to be released. It received a 74% rating on the Rotten Tomatoes web site. Let's hope that D-Box at least codes that film. (Dolphin Tale is another 3D release with an 83% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It is also not on the D-Box list.)

D-Box has coded many 3D films, and I thank them for that. It is, however, the 3D aspect of Hugo that adds to its importance. It was originally filmed in 3D and is widely considered to be one of the best 3D films since Avatar. That is an additional and important reason to code that film. As others have noted, even if it has limited motion, it just means it could be coded that much faster. And many films with far less motion are coded by D-Box on a regular basis.

It is important to note that giving special preference to *good* 3D films would not detract from other 2D films. There aren't that many films released in 3D. I also suggested that 3D be simultaneously released in 2D coding as well. Note that I included the proviso "assuming they are reasonably good as movies go." For example, I didn't suggest the Darkest Hour. I haven't seen it, but it received only 12% on Rotten Tomatoes, and received terrible reviews.

Those of us who own 3D televisions or projectors would like to enjoy the latest *good* 3D films using both forms of technology -- 3D and D-Box. Anyone without a 3D display would enjoy them in 2D and D-Box.

Is that too much to ask?

D-Box, are you listening?
post #4984 of 6505 Old 03-03-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

What categories do you find the 340c under? I'm trying to use the one under "Home Appliance: D-Box" and then I manually type in Motion Controller 340c. Still not working with my Harmony.

I think I used that same category. Did you manually try to learn the commands of your 340C remote? I may have done this back when I set everything up. That was two years ago though, so I hardly remember for sure.

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #4985 of 6505 Old 03-03-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is more than enough action in Hugo to justify the coding...

Hugo was on the list, and three of us saw it. The explanation from D-Box is so short and abrupt as to clearly suggest some other motive. Hugo was on the list, and then it was removed from the list.

The reason I know it was on the list is because that is where I first learned of Hugo. I do not watch television except for very occasional sports games or something special. So I saw Hugo on the Day and date release list a month ago or whenever, and then I went to look it up on Amazon. I went ahead and preordered it based on it being in the d-box list. But I wan't going to wait on D-Box coding it anyway.
post #4986 of 6505 Old 03-03-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder what disingenuous or absurd excuse D-Box would give for not ever coding the Hurt Locker, since it clearly has motion? What the Hurt Locker and Hugo have in common is that they received critical acclaim and won numerous awards. That must explain the failure to code those films, as it is the only common denominator between the two films. The Hurt Locker has plenty of motion, and won the Academy Awards for Best Film, Best Director, and Best Screen Play. Despite numerous requests on this web site at the time, it was never coded.

So let's add an important criteria for coding

It is important to note that giving special preference to *good* 3D films would not detract from other 2D films. There aren't that many films released in 3D. I also suggested that 3D be simultaneously released in 2D coding as well. Note that I included the proviso "assuming they are reasonably good as movies go." For example, I didn't suggest the Darkest Hour. I haven't seen it, but it received only 12% on Rotten Tomatoes, and received terrible reviews.

I'm not going to comment on 2D vs 3D. However, I will say that since coding resources are limited, new releases, especially oscar winners, summer blockbusters, or any decent new film should be of the highest priority. Some of those movies are on the day and date release list, many are not. I would agree that there have been quite a few misses in terms of priorities of coding. All we can do is hope they improve with time. Not sure what the future holds 2 years from now, 5 years from now, 10 years from now...
post #4987 of 6505 Old 03-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The motion director must be Czech, given the number of films they code for a small nation with a very small population. (Or the Czech Republic must have an astonishingly high proportion of D-Box owners given their smaller population as countries go.)

My guess is there is a Czech who routinely sends whole boxes of their personal BDs to Canada for resynchs. As far as I understand the process, the resynchs are very easy if they have the disc in hand.
post #4988 of 6505 Old 03-06-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm assuming Immortals should be up today at some point since it is on the day and date release list.
post #4989 of 6505 Old 03-08-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

For the first-time ever, Hugo has been added to the Currently Working On list. That is all.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #4990 of 6505 Old 03-08-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

For the first-time ever, Hugo has been added to the Currently Working On list. That is all.

Lol, thanks.
post #4991 of 6505 Old 03-08-2012, 08:48 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I'm glad to see that the fallible logs now match infallible human memory.

I'm also glad to see that D-Box is reading our comments, and reacting to them in a positive way. For that, I commend, and thank, D-Box.

Hugo doesn't have as much motion as an action film, but it has many scenes with machinery where subtle motion could be effectively utilized and added for the D-Box chairs. D-Box does code many films without huge crashes and motion such as Contagion. That means that D-Box is judging films not just by the standard of gross motion, since some of the films highest in motion are actually bad movies.

I watched Hugo again over the weekend. In 3D it is simply stunning. Martin Scorsese brilliantly utilized 3D to enhance the film and add depth, and not just as a gimmick. It is equally as effective as Avatar for the use of 3D and I'd say it is even better. It may be the finest 3D film yet produced. To see Hugo as Scorsese intended, it has to be seen in 3D.

I'd like to thank D-Box for coding Hugo. It is a very important film, and worthy of receiving D-Box coding.

Now, how about the Adventure of TinTin in 3D, as well as 2D? It clearly has lots of motion, and received a 75% positive review on the Rotten Tomatoes web site. That is far better than many of the films that are coded!
post #4992 of 6505 Old 03-09-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I m going to discuss htpc-support for D-Box AGAIN

As some of you might know D-Box user Germain created some altered versions of Media Player Classic - Home Cinema and LAV Filters. With his software you can enjoy D-Box and DTS-MA/True-HD from a HTPC (http://htpcfordbox.over-blog.com/art...-89040282.html)

But there are some downsides of this method:
- A very important one is that Media Player Classic - Home Cinema does not support 3D and/or Blu-Ray menu's.
- Second problem is that Germain has no time to update it and that MPC-HC and LAV filters evolve very fast. Germains latest MPC-HC/LAV filters D-Box version are already causing too much problems in combination with the lastest video drivers and madVR renderer.

So in my journey looking for another solution (since D-Box will likely not come with a HDMI version of the pc-based controller) I found these ones:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

and

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I know a (not active anymore) D-Box user on this thread tested some similar splitters a few years ago but not these ones. Maybe they will solve what htpc/d-box users always have been looking for.

The only thing that bothers me if it might work is:
Quote:

quote from specs site:
features a built-in audio converter, which will convert the HDMI® audio from any of the four HDMI® inputs and distribute it simultaneously to the audio output in HDMI®, Optical/TOSlink, and Digital Coax outputs. That way you can integrate any type of sound system, even if it doesn't directly support HDMI® audio.

The 'which will convert' is what bothers me. The core dd/dts signal must be send UNALTERED to the d-box decoder or else d-box cannot 'read'.

US Monoprice does ship to the Netherlands but the additional costs when it won t work and I will have to return it to the US are just a little high so I was wondering if anyone here on the forum who is stated in the US is willing to test it
post #4993 of 6505 Old 03-09-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I ended up not going down the HTPC road. One day, when hard drive prices go back down, I will build a media server and look at options streaming this content to my theater. If I were to pull the trigger now, I'd probably go with the Dune you already have or check out the new Apple TV.

I have a media PC in my bedroom now and I don't care to put that type of interface in my theater at this time.

On a side note, are your custom coolers working out and did you get something to replace the damaged covers?
post #4994 of 6505 Old 03-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nope. At the end, they told me I could send it in for them to fix.

Do you have access to any other version of the ride- DVD or early BD?

My thoughts boiled down to this:
1. The audio source showed "DTS_I_(L+R)", which doesn't really exist as such on my 340c. I think I recall seeing DTS_2.0, which is maybe the same thing, but I don't know.

2. The Ride doesn't show up on my controller at all. Attempts to load it, and only it, off of a disk told me there was "nothing to update". D-Box told me to rename the index and put on an index that only had The Ride on it. The The Ride was listed on the controller, but I still suspect there was an audio type mismatch.

If you fix it or want to discuss it further, let me know.

Quote:

Thanks for the info, maybe all 340C owners are affected? Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now to send mine back to D-Box for repair.

Quote:

Hmmm... can the rest of the 340c owners chime in and say whether "Ride...BTTF, The"* is listed on your list of titles?

*Appx title, but it is under "R".

Antonin at D-Box told me recently that BTTF the Ride is incompatible with 340c, due to the contained D-Box board's inability to process DTS 2.0.

Wish I could have gotten that answer a year ago, but whatever. Seems to be accurate, since no one with a 340c has reported having the title on their controller or getting it to work.
post #4995 of 6505 Old 03-09-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Antonin at D-Box told me recently that BTTF the Ride is incompatible with 340c, due to the contained D-Box board's inability to process DTS 2.0.

Wish I could have gotten that answer a year ago, but whatever. Seems to be accurate, since no one with a 340c has reported having the title on their controller or getting it to work.

Interesting. Thanks for finally getting to the bottom of this matter.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #4996 of 6505 Old 03-09-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

posts like this make me glade I got a pc controller. Will be cheaper to upgrade if I ever need to.
post #4997 of 6505 Old 03-11-2012, 12:48 PM

Hi guys,

I tried to find the answer to my question in this thread, but now I have given up.
Well, I am currently planning my own dedicated home theater room and would like to consider one seat equipped with d-box. I am now struggling with the question what the differences between the SRP-230 (4 actuators, platform system for loveseats) and a built-in system (in this case a Fortress Matinee). I know the obvious difference, so that my question is more related to the experience between those two system. I have read of some guys who started with a platform, but then upgraded later to a integrated solution "seat". So, I am wondering why they made this step, esp. as the integrated solution is pretty much more expensive.

The second question is related to the differences between an integrated seat with 3 actuators vs. same seat with 4 actuators. I got an offer for a new system (3 actuators) and the dealer told me that the 4 actuators would only necessary for persons with heavy weight. I can hardly believe that and would assume that a 4 actuator system is the "best" and most accurate solution. On the other side, the price difference between 3 and 4 actuator system is definitely given. So, anybody out there who can say something in regards to the differences between 3 and 4 actuator seats.

Thanks for reading and listening to my rookie questions, but I am somehow stuck and have the gut feeling that people who read and participate in this thread are the best audience for my issue.

BTW: If you have a recommendation for a great dealer who sells d box systems and in best case is willing to ship internationally, just let me know by PM.

Thanks and best
Kilma
post #4998 of 6505 Old 03-11-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I had many of the same questions you had. I ended up buying the custom seating and the SRP-230s and adding them in myself. Here is what I thought about each setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

This overview is based on my short experience with these 3 options. I have not included all the well known benefits of D-Box and in any case I would rather have D-Box than not have it.

D-Box SRP-230 installed under a Rooms to Go love Seat. - Grade: B-

Pros
  • Fits 2 people for the price of one D-Box platform
Cons
  • Noisy - Even when the system is off and I just sat down, I could hear the D-box plastic housing creek like a old home's floors.
  • MFX intensity - Because the love seat was not well built like a D-box approved seating (or equivalent), much of the intensity of the MFX were absorbed in the seating itself.
  • Side to Side Motion - The effect changed depending on what part of the love seat I was sitting on. On some vehicle scenes (low action), side to side motion was not noticeable compared to single seat.

D-Box 3350I (3 actuator/3 axis) installed in a United leather Formula One (Single Seat). - Grade A

Pros
  • Quiet - I can only hear D-box vibrations with all sound off. This is much like any tactical transducer would make as it vibrates the chair.
  • MFX intensity - Strong. This chair is really built well and allows most of the MFX to reach its occupant.
  • Fast side to side motion.

Cons
  • Chair seamed a tad unstable with D-box off. (Tripod configuration).
  • More expensive than SRP-230 and only fits 1 person.
  • Limited weight is 600 lbs. Take a 250 lbs person a 100 lbs chair and apply 2G of acceleration and you hit 700 lbs. This should not be an issue, but as folks get heavier, it may be.

D-Box SRP-230 (Like 4250I) disassembled and installed in a United leather Formula One (Single Seat). - Grade A+

Pros
  • Quiet - I can only hear D-box vibrations with all sound off. This is much like any tactical transducer would make as it vibrates the chair.
  • MFX intensity - Very Strong. This chair is really built well and allows most of the MFX to reach its occupant. Having 4 actuators seems to provide more force and is very noticeable during scenes with side impact car crashes. The MFX is very intense. I finally see why folks with back injuries and heart problems should not sit in these.
  • Fast side to side motion.
  • Similar to the D-box 4250I at a far less price.

Cons
  • Voids Warranty
  • Lots of hours of labor
  • Potential fire hazard
  • Not supported by D-Box (heavily frowned on), not supported by dealers

Really BIG thanks to ckenisell who gave me the information needed to save me hours of research and gave me confidence in this purchase.

post #4999 of 6505 Old 03-12-2012, 01:26 AM

Perfect! This is exact for what I was looking for... Thanks!

Regards
Kilma
post #5000 of 6505 Old 03-12-2012, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there a list somewhere with movie titles that has 3D+D-Box?
post #5001 of 6505 Old 03-12-2012, 02:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin47 View Post

I know that I'm asking this too frequently but is there any progress for HD-DVD codes? Do you plan to make it happen anytime soon?[img]http://www.***************/ht1.jpg[/img][img]http://www.***************/jh.jpg[/img][img]http://www.***************/bh.jpg[/img]

HD-DVD. In what year are you living?
post #5002 of 6505 Old 03-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

Is there a list somewhere with movie titles that has 3D+D-Box?

I use DVDProfiler for my movie collection and have set flags for both 3D and D-Box. I can then filter the collection based on those paramaters.

I've gotten some use out of it.

Probably doesn't help you much.
post #5003 of 6505 Old 03-12-2012, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use DVDProfiler for my movie collection and have set flags for both 3D and D-Box. I can then filter the collection based on those paramaters.

I've gotten some use out of it.

Probably doesn't help you much.

I didn't realize DVDProfiler could be set to flag D-Box titles. Thanks!

Hail to the King, baby!
post #5004 of 6505 Old 03-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I didn't realize DVDProfiler could be set to flag D-Box titles. Thanks!

You can set whatever custom tags you want. And then filter by them.

My D-Box tags look like this:

[]D-box
- [] On Disc
- [] Download
- [] Needs Conversion
- [] Needs Coding

If you check any of the 4 sub-tags, it will check the parent tag. In the case of the Needs, I uncheck the parent tag so when I filter on the D-Box tag, only the currently coded movies are displayed.
post #5005 of 6505 Old 03-13-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

[]D-box
- [] On Disc
- [] Download
- [] Needs Conversion
- [] Needs Coding

If you check any of the 4 sub-tags, it will check the parent tag. In the case of the Needs, I uncheck the parent tag so when I filter on the D-Box tag, only the currently coded movies are displayed.

That still requires manual work on your part, right? Still a good fix, .
post #5006 of 6505 Old 03-13-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Tintin was added to list.
post #5007 of 6505 Old 03-14-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

[]D-box
- [] On Disc
- [] Download
- [] Needs Conversion
- [] Needs Coding

Just updated my collection on my PC. It's too bad that these tags aren't recognized by the mobile version of the program.

Hail to the King, baby!
post #5008 of 6505 Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Interesting discussion. I'm still thinking about how I want to integrate the Dbox into selecting movies from the user interface. I'll probably show a DBox logo in the corner of the movie poster but also have the ability to filter by DBox only movies.

Then if the movie is DBox compatible, I'll have the automation system automatically turn off the bass shakers for that row of seats.
post #5009 of 6505 Old 03-14-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Interesting discussion. I'm still thinking about how I want to integrate the Dbox into selecting movies from the user interface. I'll probably show a DBox logo in the corner of the movie poster but also have the ability to filter by DBox only movies.

Then if the movie is DBox compatible, I'll have the automation system automatically turn off the bass shakers for that row of seats.

What s/w is that screenshot from?

Hail to the King, baby!
post #5010 of 6505 Old 03-14-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like D-Box has hit the big time this year by scoring nearly all the suspected motion-worthy heavy hitters between now and the end of the summer. Check it out (these titles are in addition to what we already know, like The Avengers, etc.):

Battleship
Snow White and the Huntsman
Prometheus
The Amazing Spiderman

and... wait for it...

The Dark Knight Rises

Hail to the King, baby!
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page