Old 03-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

BUT, I just ordered the Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D projector for the new Home Theater Room ...

How hard did you look at the Optoma HD33/HD3300 or the Epson 3010/5010/6010 before plunking down on the AE7000?

If you're confident in your decision, don't let me sway you... but I personally found the 3010 to be a much better solution for me and mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Ahhhh....So we have another that is willing to try this madness! I love it!

In my case, I bought a Jaymar D-Box ready dual recliner, built my own brackets, and modified the SRP platform for my needs.

Although I gotta say, go with the Elite if they will let you. The Jaymar D-Box seat is one of the most uncomfortable pieces of furniture I own. It's horrible for my back. I REALLY wish there was a way to try this type of furniture before putting down thousands of dollars on it.

I have talked with Elite and they are willing to make their arms wider for me to accommodate the SRPs, I'm just trying to decide if this is something I truly should do, or just a dream, lol. If I do this, it will limit the number of seats in my theater to 4 instead of 6. Which will in turn change my room layout in a way that bringing in extra seats for overflow wouldn't be a possibility. So, I gotta decide if it is worth only having 4 seats vs the 6. We only plan on having 2 kids, so 4 works with our current plan, but we all know what happens when you make plans. Plus, I don't really want to spend the extra money for the SRP-330s, but I also don't know how to go about asking people how much they weigh when they come over to watch movies, lol. I know the SRP-230 can handle 750 lbs, but the Elite seats weigh a little over 150 lbs each so that is around 310 lbs in the seats alone. Which limits seats to people in a combo of 440 lbs, which isn't a whole lot to work with for some people (I weigh ~155 lbs but I have friends that actually have muscles, ha). Oh, decisions decisions.

-Sean
Old 03-28-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN View Post

If I do this, it will limit the number of seats in my theater to 4 instead of 6. Which will in turn change my room layout in a way that bringing in extra seats for overflow wouldn't be a possibility. So, I gotta decide if it is worth only having 4 seats vs the 6.
-Sean

Not sure of your layout, but you can have D-Box and non D-Box seats mixed in the same room. I have it, as do others and all D-Box Theaters
Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

Not sure of your layout, but you can have D-Box and non D-Box seats mixed in the same room. I have it, as do others and all D-Box Theaters

LOL, I just read about d-box for the first time. I just pay my younger brother $5 to shake my Lazy-Boy when I tell him to.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

LOL, I just read about d-box for the first time. I just pay my younger brother $5 to shake my Lazy-Boy when I tell him to.

I know, right? And when they were like, "Speakers and amps are gonna cost you, son..." I was like, "I'll just tell my younger brother to make sound effects and deliver the dialogue." LOL.

And when I saw what HD projectors cost, I was like "I'll just pay my younger brother $5 to read to me, LOL".

Old 03-29-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

How exciting. Do you have an active thread I can visit? (not like you have time for one)

Unfortunately, no. But I have a Flickr account where I upload all my photos. I have just changed the privacy settings for my house build if you wanna see them here. You can also see, in the later photos all of my pre-wiring for the theater room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhonzi View Post

How hard did you look at the Optoma HD33/HD3300 or the Epson 3010/5010/6010 before plunking down on the AE7000?

If you're confident in your decision, don't let me sway you... but I personally found the 3010 to be a much better solution for me and mine.

I went with the AE7000 because I already have the Panasonic 65" VT30 plasma and the glasses are interchangable. Plus, I really like the lens shift/memory feature of the 7000.

Quote:

I have talked with Elite and they are willing to make their arms wider for me to accommodate the SRPs, I'm just trying to decide if this is something I truly should do, or just a dream, lol.

If you do this, I still would encourage you to remove the plastic housing from the SRP actuators. That thing rattles like nobodies business.

Quote:

We only plan on having 2 kids, so 4 works with our current plan, but we all know what happens when you make plans.

Yeah, I'm very familiar with what happens when you make plans to only have two kids. My wife and I only planned to have 2 kids too. We had our first. Then we had twins. All boys! Besides, 4 people on the SRP-230, plus the seat is too much! Oh, and the thing about kids is, they grow up.

Quote:

Plus, I don't really want to spend the extra money for the SRP-330s, but I also don't know how to go about asking people how much they weigh when they come over to watch movies, lol. I know the SRP-230 can handle 750 lbs, but the Elite seats weigh a little over 150 lbs each so that is around 310 lbs in the seats alone. Which limits seats to people in a combo of 440 lbs, which isn't a whole lot to work with for some people (I weigh ~155 lbs but I have friends that actually have muscles, ha). Oh, decisions decisions.

-Sean

Sean, I can tell you that I have had friends come over and just having two of them on the seat at once made the stupid SRP-230 reset itself over and over and over during the movie. I assume it was due to the weight restrictions. It was VERY embarassing.

Chet
Old 03-29-2012, 08:43 PM

Last year I loaned the import BD of Capricorn One, and asked that the codes be resynced to it as others on this thread had said it was coded back in the LaserDisc days. Well, after seeing Yannick at CES this year, he said they no longer had the codes, but would code the movie based on my BD. I just received an email from him stating that it is presently being coded. I'd recommend anyone who likes the movie, go out and get a copy, it seems region free.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsky4565 View Post

Last year I loaned the import BD of Capricorn One, and asked that the codes be resynced to it as others on this thread had said it was coded back in the LaserDisc days. Well, after seeing Yannick at CES this year, he said they no longer had the codes, but would code the movie based on my BD. I just received an email from him stating that it is presently being coded. I'd recommend anyone who likes the movie, go out and get a copy, it seems region free.

Wow, I just learned something. D-Box once worked with laserdisc titles??

Yeah, I saw this title added today, and I couldn't remember who on this thread wanted to see that title coded. Enjoy it!

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
Old 03-30-2012, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannie136 View Post

Yannick, I noticed that you came out with the codes for The Departed. Why didn't you come out with the Blu-Ray codes at the same time? I am still waiting to watch my copy, so I can have motion with the movie.

The Departed has been coded for Blu-ray. Just update your motion controller codes and you will have it.

Btw, Yannick hasn't posted on here for quite some time.

Hail to the King, baby!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhonzi View Post

I know, right? And when they were like, "Speakers and amps are gonna cost you, son..." I was like, "I'll just tell my younger brother to make sound effects and deliver the dialogue." LOL.

And when I saw what HD projectors cost, I was like "I'll just pay my younger brother $5 to read to me, LOL".

Too funny.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Too funny.

Yeah, he had a great comeback indeed!

Hail to the King, baby!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you do this, I still would encourage you to remove the plastic housing from the SRP actuators. That thing rattles like nobodies business.

Quote:

Sean, I can tell you that I have had friends come over and just having two of them on the seat at once made the stupid SRP-230 reset itself over and over and over during the movie. I assume it was due to the weight restrictions. It was VERY embarassing.

I've been concerned about this. Additionally I have contacted 4 of the closest "D-Box Dealers" in my area, all of them quoted prices that just seemed unbelievable and their lack of knowledge on the product led me to believe that non of them have ever actually sold the product to anyone before. Quite a downer.

These are all things that have me leaning towards Crowson at this point. However, if I go with 2 rows of 3 then I would never be able to add D-Box unless it is an Odyssey type product. Maybe I will go with 2 singles up front and the 3 in the back, that way if the rattling is ever fixed by D-Box, I can add it and I won't have to worry about weight as I don't know anyone who weighs close to 600 lbs.

On a different note, has anyone ever been able to get the BTTF Ride to work? If so, were you ever able to ride this ride in Universal Orlando prior to its removal? How does it compare MFX wise? In all honesty this is the reason I started looking into d-box. I grew up a few hours from Universal Orlando and spent lots of time riding the BTTF Ride as it was one of my favorites, I think it would just be fantastic to have it in my home, especially since it no longer exists at the park.

-Sean
Old 03-30-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On a different note, has anyone ever been able to get the BTTF Ride to work? If so, were you ever able to ride this ride in Universal Orlando prior to its removal? How does it compare MFX wise? In all honesty this is the reason I started looking into d-box. I grew up a few hours from Universal Orlando and spent lots of time riding the BTTF Ride as it was one of my favorites, I think it would just be fantastic to have it in my home, especially since it no longer exists at the park.

-Sean

I did, and I also had been on the original ride. While it was fun, it is not the same as the original ride. Not sure if you already watched it on the box set, but the screen seemed so small, especially with console controls and monitor (with Doc Brown) eating up some of the screen's real estate.
The motion effects are good, but can't compete with the full range of motion the simulators provided on the original ride.
It is fun, but not something you will find as your go to demo.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been concerned about this. Additionally I have contacted 4 of the closest "D-Box Dealers" in my area, all of them quoted prices that just seemed unbelievable and their lack of knowledge on the product led me to believe that non of them have ever actually sold the product to anyone before. Quite a downer.

Did you contact D-Box Directly?

Quote:

These are all things that have me leaning towards Crowson at this point. However, if I go with 2 rows of 3 then I would never be able to add D-Box unless it is an Odyssey type product.

Have you tired D-Box? I used to have a tactical transducer and the two are not the same thing.

Quote:

Maybe I will go with 2 singles up front and the 3 in the back, that way if the rattling is ever fixed by D-Box, I can add it and I won't have to worry about weight as I don't know anyone who weighs close to 600 lbs.

-Sean

I am kind of heavy (currently losing weight and doing very well) and at one point, I was 260 lbs. I have single chairs (well over 100 lbs each) and only once did my actuators ever cut off. This was after about 30 mins of playing 1 – 20 Hz signals (turned up) with the sub input. To give you an idea what this was like, the screen goes blurry (eyes shaking) and your teeth rattle.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I did, and I also had been on the original ride. While it was fun, it is not the same as the original ride. Not sure if you already watched it on the box set, but the screen seemed so small, especially with console controls and monitor (with Doc Brown) eating up some of the screen's real estate.
The motion effects are good, but can't compete with the full range of motion the simulators provided on the original ride.
It is fun, but not something you will find as your go to demo.

And make sure you don't get an older 340c. Apparently the title is incompatible with that controller.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did you contact D-Box Directly?

Have you tired D-Box? I used to have a tactical transducer and the two are not the same thing.

I am kind of heavy (currently losing weight and doing very well) and at one point, I was 260 lbs. I have single chairs (well over 100 lbs each) and only once did my actuators ever cut off. This was after about 30 mins of playing 1 - 20 Hz signals (turned up) with the sub input. To give you an idea what this was like, the screen goes blurry (eyes shaking) and your teeth rattle.

I have called D-Box 2 different times, both times they reffered me to the dealer locator on their website. I haven't tried the in-home D-Box, just the ones at the movie theater and I enjoyed it. I haven't ever watched the BTTF Ride from my BD Trilogy, so I was unaware of the unfortunate screen layout, however I wasn't expecting to hear that it was equall to the full range sim, just wondering if the movements were similar, such as dramatic lean backs/forths when the DeLorean accelerates/slows down. I was assuming that it would be the go to demo peice, that's slightly dissapointing to hear. What do you usually use for demos?

To give you an idea of what the dealers have quoted me:

One place gave me some prices so I asked about a single seat, the price for the D-Box ready single seat with the platform was a five figure number with the second digit NOT being a "0" or a "1". For a single seat???

The "best" price I got was from the place that seemed to know the most about te product. They said they would sell the 130 or 230 at the same price, being in the mid-to-upper four figure range and the 330 in the upper four figure range, I'm guessing this is more realistic.

Have the prices increased over the years?

-Sean
Old 03-30-2012, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have called D-Box 2 different times, both times they reffered me to the dealer locator on their website.

Sorry to hear that.

Quote:

I haven't tried the in-home D-Box, just the ones at the movie theater and I enjoyed it. I haven't ever watched the BTTF Ride from my BD Trilogy, so I was unaware of the unfortunate screen layout, however I wasn't expecting to hear that it was equall to the full range sim, just wondering if the movements were similar, such as dramatic lean backs/forths when the DeLorean accelerates/slows down.

Similar, but not as dramatic.

Quote:

I was assuming that it would be the go to demo peice, that's slightly dissapointing to hear. What do you usually use for demos?

My current fav is Flight of the Phoenix crash scene.

Quote:

The "best" price I got was from the place that seemed to know the most about te product. They said they would sell the 130 or 230 at the same price, being in the mid-to-upper four figure range and the 330 in the upper four figure range, I'm guessing this is more realistic.

Have the prices increased over the years?

-Sean

Sent you a PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

I saw "The Grey" in the theater, that crash scene was awesome. The turbulence leading up to hit was really cool too.

-Sean
Old 04-01-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What do you usually use for demos?

Did you not see the demo suggestions in my FAQ?

Speaking of the FAQ, I just updated it with a few minor additions.

Hail to the King, baby!
Old 04-04-2012, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Nice to see you keep the unofficial FAQ updated from time to time drvais.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

A new project : D-BOX+3D

Since I bought a Sony VW95 3D projector I m totally into 3D. I watched Avatar in 3D+D-Box+high res. audio and WOW, what an experience is this!!!!

I have made a list of the major 3D movies that are actually released at this moment (04-04-2012):
FINAL DESTINATION 4
JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH
A CHRISTMAS CAROL
ALICE IN WONDERLAND
BOLT
CARS 2
CHICKEN LITTLE
CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS
CONAN THE BARBARIAN
CORALINE
DESPICABLE ME
DRIVE ANGRY
FRIGHT NIGHT 3D
G-FORCE
GREEN LANTERN
GULLIVER'S TRAVELS 3D
HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 2
HUGO
ICE AGE: DAWN OF THE DINOSAURS 3D
KUNG FU PANDA
LEGEND OF THE GUARDIANS
MEET THE ROBINSONS
MEGAMIND
MONSTER HOUSE
MONSTERS vs. ALIENS
OPEN SEASON
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES
PRIEST
RESIDENT EVIL: AFTERLIFE
RIO
SANCTUM
TANGLED
THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN
THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER
THE GREEN HORNET
THE IMMORTALS
THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS
THE POLAR EXPRESS
THE THREE MUSKETEERS 3D
THOR
TOY STORY
TOY STORY 2
TOY STORY 3
TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON
TRON: LEGACY
YOGI BEAR
A VERY HAROLD & KUMAR CHRISTMAS 3D
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 3D
CATS & DOGS: THE REVENGE OF KITTY GALORE
DAY OF THE DEAD 3D
DOLPHIN TALE 3D
FINAL DESTINATION 5
GNOMEO & JULIET
HAPPY FEET 2
HOODWINKED TOO! HOOD vs. EVIL
KUNG FU PANDA 2
MARS NEEDS MOMS
MY BLOODY VALENTINE
PIRANHA 3D
PUSS IN BOOTS
SAW: THE FINAL CHAPTER
SPY KIDS 4: ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD
STEP UP 3D
THE DARKEST HOUR
THE LION KING 3D
THE LION OF JUDAH
CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER
HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 1
SHARK NIGHT 3D
THE SMURFS 3D
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON
SHREK
SHREK 2
SHREK FOREVER AFTER
SHREK THE THIRD

Of all these 76 Blu-Ray 3D releases the next 45 of them already have a motion code:
A CHRISTMAS CAROL
ALICE IN WONDERLAND
BOLT
CARS 2
CHICKEN LITTLE
CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS
CONAN THE BARBARIAN
CORALINE
DESPICABLE ME
DRIVE ANGRY
FRIGHT NIGHT 3D
G-FORCE
GREEN LANTERN
GULLIVER'S TRAVELS 3D
HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS: PART 2
HUGO
ICE AGE: DAWN OF THE DINOSAURS 3D
KUNG FU PANDA
LEGEND OF THE GUARDIANS
MEET THE ROBINSONS
MEGAMIND
MONSTER HOUSE
MONSTERS vs. ALIENS
OPEN SEASON
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES
PRIEST
RESIDENT EVIL: AFTERLIFE
RIO
SANCTUM
TANGLED
THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN
THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER
THE GREEN HORNET
THE IMMORTALS
THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS
THE POLAR EXPRESS
THE THREE MUSKETEERS 3D
THOR
TOY STORY
TOY STORY 2
TOY STORY 3
TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON
TRON: LEGACY
YOGI BEAR

So we are missing 31 D-Box codes at this moment. I have devided these 31 one movies into different categories:

20 of them has no motion code at all so these movies will have to be 'newly' coded by D-Box (*Final Destination 5 and Happy Feet 2 are getting coded as we speak by D-Box so I assume they will release a 3D version of them with the codec release).
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 3D
CATS & DOGS: THE REVENGE OF KITTY GALORE
DAY OF THE DEAD 3D
DOLPHIN TALE 3D
FINAL DESTINATION 5 *
GNOMEO & JULIET
HAPPY FEET 2 *
HOODWINKED TOO! HOOD vs. EVIL
KUNG FU PANDA 2
MARS NEEDS MOMS
MY BLOODY VALENTINE
PIRANHA 3D
PUSS IN BOOTS
SAW: THE FINAL CHAPTER
STEP UP 3D
THE DARKEST HOUR
THE LION KING 3D
THE LION OF JUDAH

2 of them has a 'Anaglyph 3D code' available but I don t think these are the codes that will fit with the 3D Blu-Ray's of these movies. I cannot test it because I don t have these 3D movies on Blu-Ray yet:
FINAL DESTINATION 4
JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH

5 of them already have a 3D code available but only the DE version so the only thing D-Box needs to do for these is make them available for US too:
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON
SHREK
SHREK 2
SHREK FOREVER AFTER
SHREK THE THIRD

4 of them already have a 2D code available so the only thing D-Box needs to do for these is make the 3D code available them:
SHARK NIGHT 3D
THE SMURFS 3D
Old 04-04-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Thanks sanderdvd for doing this. I was doing it at one point, but my time resources quickly dwindled when I started a new business in Dec. Last year. I am building my new thater room now and t will have my new 3D projector installed. Can't wait.

Chet
Old 04-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

4 of them already have a 2D code available so the only thing D-Box needs to do for these is make the 3D code available them:
SHARK NIGHT 3D
THE SMURFS 3D

Cap and HP7.1 work with D-Box in 3D. I have both of them. I suspect Smurfs and Shark Night work as well.

Quote:

5 of them already have a 3D code available but only the DE version so the only thing D-Box needs to do for these is make them available for US too:
SHREK
SHREK 2
SHREK FOREVER AFTER
SHREK THE THIRD

My "Samsung" versions of the Shrek movies + Megamind did not synch, so I sent them to Antonin for a resynch. He should be getting them any day now. I think the "retail" versions of them should synch.

20 of them has no motion code at all so these movies will have to be 'newly' coded by D-Box (*Final Destination 5 and Happy Feet 2 are getting coded as we speak by D-Box so I assume they will release a 3D version of them with the codec release).
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 3D
GNOMEO & JULIET
KUNG FU PANDA 2
PUSS IN BOOTS
THE LION KING 3D
[/quote]

I've asked for BatB and Lion King to be coded and haven't gotten confirmation. I'm shocked that not only is KFP2 not done already, but it's still not on the list- though I've been told it's on the "other" list, the one that's not on the site. I would have guessed it would have far outranked Happy Feet 2, but maybe that's just me. Same for Puss in Boots.

Spy Kids and Gnomeo are the other ones from that list that interest me.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Thanks for that list sanderdvd. I hope you continue to post updates.

Matt
Old 04-04-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Euro version of shark night 3d did not sinch 2 months ago.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Just got a reply from D-Box that they will inform me in a few days about the things they are going to do about this 'problem'. Nice to see more people are interested in D-BOX+3D.

Other quick question:
Anyone knows which 3D capable Blu-Ray players besides the Oppo'93/95 support D-Box (dual audio output simultanously over SPDIF+HDMI at the same time).
Old 04-05-2012, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Just got a reply from D-Box that they will inform me in a few days about the things they are going to do about this 'problem'. Nice to see more people are interested in D-BOX+3D.

Other quick question:
Anyone knows which 3D capable Blu-Ray players besides the Oppo'93/95 support D-Box (dual audio output simultanously over SPDIF+HDMI at the same time).

The Panasonics do.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

thxz, do you known which models exactly?
Old 04-05-2012, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

thxz, do you known which models exactly?

All of them, the BDT-310 has dual HDMI. There is also a newer model being released which would be the BDT-500.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petedwitt View Post

All of them, the BDT-310 has dual HDMI. There is also a newer model being released which would be the BDT-500.

why would you want dual HDMI output?