For all D-Box enthusiasts ! - Page 245 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 205Likes

post #7321 of 7350 Old 01-19-2016, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 10
okay thank you, its a shame no one has created a demo/trailer disc

One other question, whats the difference between the new HEMC and the Older one with the disc tray built in?

Is the disc tray and size the only difference or is there functionality difference also? Can the old one also be used to stream media?

Also why does it still say on the DBOX website that Audio feature is not supported:

"The Audio Mode is not currently available on the HEMC. However, it will be in the near future and we will inform our home entertainment customers as soon as is available."

Isn't the audio feature the one that uses the BASS/LFE channel to shake the seat without needing the film coded especially for it, a bit like how Crowsons work and sofa shakers work?

Is this feature not yet released for DBOX?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7322 of 7350 Old 01-19-2016, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer_Nads View Post
Is there any other brand that can incorporate a storage compartment in the arm for remotes? Ive check Fortress and they don't do this. Any other brand that can and works with DBOX?
Hi,

I always thought there was a reason why D-Box seats usually don't incorporate these features... Would you want your remotes to rattle in the storage compartment or your drink to be shaken until all the sparkle is gone...

Cheers!

Markus
thxman likes this.
post #7323 of 7350 Old 01-19-2016, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
okay thank you, its a shame no one has created a demo/trailer disc
The demo disks that others have created should have no issues working with D-Box minus any movie not coded. There are probably more options here then what you may think.

Quote:
One other question, whats the difference between the new HEMC and the Older one with the disc tray built in?

Is the disc tray and size the only difference or is there functionality difference also? Can the old one also be used to stream media?
The main difference is how the MFX codes sync. The HEMC controller is the only controller that can sync by analog audio (so streaming, BD, UHD, etc…).

The legacy controllers needed to lock in on the legacy lossy Dolby or DTS bitstreams from BD and DVD only. PCM did not work nor would BD players that did not output HD and legacy codecs at the same time. You also needed the same copy of a movie as what was coded or the movie may not sync.

There is no doubt the HEMC was a real leap ahead on this and with UHD BD and streaming on the horizon, D-Box had no other cost effective option.

The optical drive did not add much value as the MFX codes have not been added to many discs and it was just as easy to download these as put the disc in the controller. No studio continues to put the MFX codes on any disc for while now.

Quote:
Also why does it still say on the DBOX website that Audio feature is not supported:

"The Audio Mode is not currently available on the HEMC. However, it will be in the near future and we will inform our home entertainment customers as soon as is available."

Isn't the audio feature the one that uses the BASS/LFE channel to shake the seat without needing the film coded especially for it, a bit like how Crowsons work and sofa shakers work?

Is this feature not yet released for DBOX?
This worked on the old controllers, but currently is not implemented on the HEMC. I had it and almost never used it.
Killer_Nads likes this.

Last edited by thxman; 01-19-2016 at 11:40 AM.
post #7324 of 7350 Old 01-19-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv038856 View Post
Hi,

I always thought there was a reason why D-Box seats usually don't incorporate these features... Would you want your remotes to rattle in the storage compartment or your drink to be shaken until all the sparkle is gone...

Cheers!

Markus
Haha, i did think about that myself but then almost all the dbox seats have drink holders, i do wonder how they refrain from spilling them? The ones in the cinema i remember are different because the seat arms do not move at all the seats seem to be separated from it.
post #7325 of 7350 Old 01-19-2016, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Use cups that fit the cup holder and lids are a great thing.
post #7326 of 7350 Old 01-19-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
The demo disks that others have created should have no issues working with D-Box minus any movie not coded. There are probably more options here then what you may think.

The main difference is how the MFX codes sync. The HEMC controller is the only controller that can sync by analog audio (so streaming, BD, UHD, etc…).

The legacy controllers needed to lock in on the legacy lossy Dolby or DTS bitstreams from BD and DVD only. PCM did not work nor would BD players that did not output HD and legacy codecs at the same time. You also needed the same copy of a movie as what was coded or the movie may not sync.

There is no doubt the HEMC was a real leap ahead on this and with UHD BD and streaming on the horizon, D-Box had no other cost effective option.

The optical drive did not add much value as the MFX codes have not been added to many discs and it was just as easy to download these as put the disc in the controller. No studio continues to put the MFX codes on any disc for while now.

This worked on the old controllers, but currently is not implemented on the HEMC. I had it and almost never used it.
Thank you for the information with regards to the controllers.

Im very disappointed however on the audio mode not being supported on the new HEMC. I currently own Crowsons, and I'm assuming that the audio mode on the dbox is to replicate that feeling? Basically, it takes the Bass audio signal and outputs vibrations to the sofa/seat according to the bass level etc... Is that what the audio mode is meant to do in dbox?

That would be quite disappointing because i currently use my crownsons all the time and they work with every single piece of media, no matter what film or tv show I'm watching. If i upgrade to DBOX, that would mean i sacrafise my crowsons and that would be all good for movies that are supported by dbox, but what happens for films and mostly tv shows that are not encoded? Apart from the normal hollywood stuff I watch a lot of tv shows and bollywood films, both that won't be encoded for dbox! Loosing the tactile transducers i feel would be a major letdown

Unless I've completely mistaken this mode for something else? Cause I'm sure i was told by someone (maybe a online retailer) that if the movie is not supported by dbox then you will still get the bass vibrations?!?
post #7327 of 7350 Old 01-19-2016, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll start with the fact you don't have to sell your Crowsons. Other D-Box users have kept them with D-Box and enjoy them that way.

As for audio mode, they are working on it, but it has been over a year and it still is not out. Perhaps in time this will change but after experiencing D-Box with coded MFX, you will see why a lot of us don't care for just audio mode. As you state, audio mode just takes the low frequencies and add tactical vibrations. Though that is cool, it feels "wrong" once you have experienced "smart" vibrations that are well thought out.

If you really care about audio mode, I am sure someone will sell you an old controller cheap. I think Peter said he was going to throw his away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
...while the Bd-iV ( and if some one wants one for the cost of shipping alone I am about to throw mine in the garbage so pm me) D-Box needs to submit a drawing of the HEMC to MA so that they can offer this much needed rackshelf to whomever wants to neatly install the HEMC in a rack.....
Killer_Nads likes this.

Last edited by thxman; 01-19-2016 at 01:47 PM.
post #7328 of 7350 Old 01-19-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I'll start with the fact you don't have to sell your Crowsons. Other D-Box users have kept them with D-Box and enjoy them that way.

As for audio mode, they are working on it, but it has been over a year and it still is not out. Perhaps in time this will change but after experiencing D-Box with coded MFX, you will see why a lot of us don't care for just audio mode. As you state, audio mode just takes the low frequencies and add tactical vibrations. Though that is cool, it feels "wrong" once you have experienced "smart" vibrations that are well thought out.

If you really care about audio mode, I am sure someone will sell you an old controller cheap. I think Peter said he was going to throw his away.
Thanks for the information.

Thats good to hear that you can make use of the dbox with the crowsons, to be honest i love my crowsons

As for the old controller, as its limited in syncing and codes. I don't think it would be much good to me, and i would be better off buying the newer one. Hopefully, the audio mode will be added to the dbox soon then i can sell my crowsons
post #7329 of 7350 Old 01-19-2016, 02:23 PM

Oh no, i just came across this video from DBOX saying that new Actuators are due out anytime soon? Which will offer more Axis of movement including back and forward and sliding to sides???

Is this true?

post #7330 of 7350 Old 01-19-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Those are for sim market only. They won't do you any good for movies.
Killer_Nads likes this.
post #7331 of 7350 Old 01-19-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Those are for sim market only. They won't do you any good for movies.
Ah thats good to know. Phew Thanks.

Okay i had almost come to a decision that i would go for a Single Seat and a Love Seat. However, now i have been looking at the sizes of the seats and the space that i have available. The two put together are just about to wide to comfortable sit in my room side by side

I only have room for 225cm (88.58”). Most single seats I've checked are 35" each and love seats are around 60".

Plus is it true that i would also need a gap of about 5" between the two seats?

Now I'm not sure what i should do, should i go for 2 single seats, or just one love seat. For the people that own or have tried these, is there any major difference between using a single seat or using a love seat? Is the Motion still the same on a love seat as it would be on a single seat? or is a single seat a much better experience?

Thanks
post #7332 of 7350 Old 01-19-2016, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

The difference is simple to understand. Lets start off by saying Pitch (front to back), heave (up and down) and vibrations will be identical. What will change is roll (side to side) as these motions will be more limited.

Think of it like this. Take a 3" (inches). long ramp and lift one side up 1.5" (same as how far D-Box actuators move) and you will have a very steep angle. More steep than any D-Box Chair could ever go. Now take a 12 foot ramp and lift one side the same 1.5", you would hardly notice the incline. These are extremes, but you can see that the further apart the actuators, the less you "feel" this type of motion. Use a simple right triangle calculator and you can easily see the differences of angles between these 2 setups (single seat vs. love seat).

This is one area that the theater seats shine as all 3 actuators in the theaters seats are very close allowing for more movement. I also feel this is why we have seen more "tame" MFX codes than pre-theater D-Box Codes provided.

I forgot to add that my seats are only about an inch apart, not 5 inches.

Killer_Nads likes this.

Last edited by thxman; 01-19-2016 at 02:58 PM.
post #7333 of 7350 Old 01-19-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
The difference is simple to understand. Lets start off by saying Pitch (front to back), heave (up and down) and vibrations will be identical. What will change is roll (side to side) as these motions will be more limited.

Think of it like this. Take a 3" (inches). long ramp and lift one side up 1.5" (same as how far D-Box actuators move) and you will have a very steep angle. More steep than any D-Box Chair could ever go. Now take a 12 foot ramp and lift one side the same 1.5", you would hardly notice the incline. These are extremes, but you can see that the further apart the actuators, the less you "feel" this type of motion. Use a simple right triangle calculator and you can easily see the differences of angles between these 2 setups (single seat vs. love seat).

This is one area that the theater seats shine as all 3 actuators in the theaters seats are very close allowing for more movement. I also feel this is why we have seen more "tame" MFX codes than pre-theater D-Box Codes provided.

I forgot to add that my seats are only about an inch apart, not 5 inches.

Oh man i was afraid that would be true i did think about that but i thought that as its not moving much up on the side it might not be that noticeable especially when watching a film. But maybe like you are saying there is a noticeable difference that you can feel?!

As i couldn't really fit both a single and love seat i was just maybe hoping to myself that the experience would be the same so i can just get a love seat and have two people experience it. Yes i understand i could get 2 single seats aswell but that just increases costs plus would look a bit out of place as my cinema room is also a living room and would have thought that a love seat would look more in place in the room
post #7334 of 7350 Old 01-19-2016, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I will have a love seat config soon and I suspect that the difference will be negligible. I would much rather have a Love seat (with recline) than the theater seats or no D-Box at all.
Killer_Nads likes this.
post #7335 of 7350 Old 01-19-2016, 05:23 PM
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
Quote:

Hehe this one went to a nice young family before xmas, gratis.
post #7336 of 7350 Old 01-20-2016, 03:14 AM

Hi guys,

I want to know from you which of the following seat you would recommend?

Which one would work best for DBOX? and still look nice but be the most comfortable for long periods of time. Basically an all rounder

They are almost all a similar price.

Jaymar Indiana - Like the look, love the arms (cupholder, LEDs and buttons). However the height of the back looks very short?!

Jaymar 351 - Nice long Back, don't like the look and design much. Don't like arms.

DesignNS - Like the design, arms are decent but basic straight horizontal. Nice long back. Don't know how comfortable the seat looks though?

Fortress Matinee - Lovely look, looks like it would feel comfy. But short back and straight basic arms are a put off.

Palliser - Probably the best all rounded seat, atleast looks wise. Looks comfy, nice long back, nice arms with cupholder and storage space. Also the cheapest one. However, i have been told by one retailer that they are too slippery in the middle and not that comfortable after 30mins and that local customers usually return them for fortress

My personal thoughts are mixed, which is why i need help deciding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	indiana_closed.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1196690   Click image for larger version

Name:	352.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	1196698   Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1196706   Click image for larger version

Name:	matinee_2010a.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	1196714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pasted Graphic.png
Views:	24
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	1196722  

post #7337 of 7350 Old 01-20-2016, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Hi guys,

Which one would work best for DBOX? and still look nice but be the most comfortable for long periods of time. Basically an all rounder

Jaymar Indiana - Like the look, love the arms (cupholder, LEDs and buttons). However the height of the back looks very short?!

Jaymar 351 - Nice long Back, don't like the look and design much. Don't like arms.

DesignNS - Like the design, arms are decent but basic straight horizontal. Nice long back. Don't know how comfortable the seat looks though?

Fortress Matinee - Lovely look, looks like it would feel comfy. But short back and straight basic arms are a put off.

Palliser - Probably the best all rounded seat, atleast looks wise. Looks comfy, nice long back, nice arms with cupholder and storage space. Also the cheapest one. However, i have been told by one retailer that they are too slippery in the middle and not that comfortable after 30mins and that local customers usually return them for fortress

Short back on the Fortress is ideal. You can see why in this month's issue of Widescreen Review in the feature on home theatre design mistakes.
Lasalle and BrolicBeast like this.

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
unOFFICIAL D-Box HEMC FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #7338 of 7350 Old 01-20-2016, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Hi guys,

Just to throw $00.02 in, I'd suggest avoiding chairs with a long back, as in most cases, the top of the headrest essentially blocks the signal from the rear surrounds. You'll still hear some version of the signal, but it would be far from optimal.
post #7339 of 7350 Old 01-20-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvais View Post
Short back on the Fortress is ideal. You can see why in this month's issue of Widescreen Review in the feature on home theatre design mistakes.
Hmm, really? Ive always preferred longer backs, especially for comfortability! Also in this case as it is a reclining seat, its all the more important for a longer back, could almost use it as a spare bed Obviously with the shorted backs you can not cause as soon as you use recliner to go almost all the way down, your head and neck would be dangling off the sofa

I don't have access to that magazine. What kind of things did they mention?
post #7340 of 7350 Old 01-20-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Just to throw $00.02 in, I'd suggest avoiding chairs with a long back, as in most cases, the top of the headrest essentially blocks the signal from the rear surrounds. You'll still hear some version of the signal, but it would be far from optimal.
Thanks for your feedback, however i don't feel that this would be much of an issue for me, because i only have 5.1.2 and my back speakers are placed in the corner of the room and at a higher level. So they would always come down successfully to the viewers ears.
post #7341 of 7350 Old 01-20-2016, 09:44 AM
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

The design NS are as comfy as the Fortress not too foamy, not too fluffy and not too stiff, besides it has a metal articulating head support. some backs on non metal frame built chars resonate at certain vibration frequencies so this metal back support helps in that regard.
post #7342 of 7350 Old 01-20-2016, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Hmm, really? Ive always preferred longer backs, especially for comfortability! Also in this case as it is a reclining seat, its all the more important for a longer back, could almost use it as a spare bed Obviously with the shorted backs you can not cause as soon as you use recliner to go almost all the way down, your head and neck would be dangling off the sofa

I don't have access to that magazine. What kind of things did they mention?
You can have your cake and eat it too.

http://www.cineak.com/seating/private-cinema/strato/
post #7343 of 7350 Old 01-20-2016, 10:56 AM
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Strato Plus are nice, they were invented for Albiorix.

Here is the evidence from 3/15/12

Peter,

Belgium is playing around with a few ideas to increase the back/headrest height of the STRATO- we will have a few potential solutions drawn up by tomorrow. It is a challenge, especially with the mechanism, but let's wait to review the drawings.

Thanks Peter and all the best,
Alvin"

Killer N check email for magazine.
Killer_Nads likes this.
post #7344 of 7350 Old 01-22-2016, 04:46 AM

Just saw that DBOX updated there movies list with 3 new films yesterday

The Martian
Maze Runner 2
Pan

Ive seen the first 2 movies before and both are good, incidentally, when i was watching them i was thinking that they are perfect dbox movies!

Would love to watch them again with DBOX! Dbox would really complement those movies well.

Hopefully i can get my dbox installed soon, the wait is excruciating!!
post #7345 of 7350 Old 01-22-2016, 04:46 AM

Just saw that DBOX updated there movies list with 3 new films yesterday

The Martian
Maze Runner 2
Pan

Ive seen the first 2 movies before and both are good, incidentally, when i was watching them i was thinking that they are perfect dbox movies!

Would love to watch them again with DBOX! Dbox would really complement those movies well.

Hopefully i can get my dbox installed soon, the wait is excruciating!!
post #7346 of 7350 Old 01-22-2016, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Has The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition been coded yet? Have I missed it?

Chet
post #7347 of 7350 Old 01-22-2016, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello guys,

Just a quick message to let you know, in case some of you were interested, that we have been restocked of the new D-BOX HEMC controller.

We have them in stock and ready to be shipped today. The upgrade promotion is still ongoing and is available until the end of February.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me in private.

Thank you for your attention.

Cheers!
post #7348 of 7350 Old 01-28-2016, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Since I did end up with the HEMC, I thought I would update my prior post. Comments in Red.

Quote:
Here are some of they reasons I did not move to HEMC.

Cost
  • HECM is almost 4 times more expensive. I don't stream in my theater, so BD is fine. I can send a lot of re-syncs for $2k+. With the promo, this was mostly rectified.
  • Need to add a KAI-1P to each chair (comes with new seating kits) The promo also allowed me to get these very cheap.

Control
  • Currently I can use my remote with 2-way feedback, I would lose this. (RS-232) Per email with D-Box, the new HEMC's RS-232 port will accept their modified protocol. I have not tested yet.
  • I use VNC so I already can access my control panel via my phone and tablet.

Aesthetics
  • MCI-4P is rack mountable with standard width.
  • HEMC can be hidden, but I like to display my equipment.

So a big thanks to D-Box for addressing my concerns. I don't know if they read our feedback or if was coincidence, but I am happy on how it was handled overall.

Last edited by thxman; 01-28-2016 at 12:36 PM.
post #7349 of 7350 Old 01-28-2016, 01:33 PM

Does anyone know how long until the Audio Mode is released? Are we looking at the next 3 months or so or much longer like december 2016?
post #7350 of 7350 Old 01-28-2016, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I would email D-Box support. They are fairly quick to respond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)