For all D-Box enthusiasts ! - Page 254 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 276Likes
post #7591 of 7598 Old 08-01-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspotorno View Post
Just watched BvS extended edition using the HEMC.

This was the first movie where I've noticed the lack of coding for the extended edition made a difference. The HEMC did keep up and resync'd however, during the funeral the cannon explosions were mistimed and in a very quiet scene all of a sudden the chairs "boom" with action, and then the canon's would visually go a few seconds later...

OK, I assumed my plan to use just L&R were a bad idea as I have had all kinds of issues. Maybe I need to pick a different flick to test.

Have you reported this to D-Box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7592 of 7598 Old 08-01-2016, 04:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have my HEMC hooked up to L/R channels essentially, and it works perfectly.

The issue with Extended Editions and the HEMC is the buffer of the unit itself. It continues to play motion codes, but on extended sequences, there are a couple of moments that may not "Fit" with the current scene.

In BvS, at the funeral several additional scenes were added before the cannons fire, so the cannons fired in HEMC but not on the movie yet. The device did catch up quickly and continued but is was very noticeable.

This also happened on LotR Extended Edition if I remember, but not in places where there was really quiet part of the movie and then intense action and then quiet again...

I do not think they are going to code each and every "Edition" of the movies anymore. I could be wrong, but that was the feeling I get.

Sony VW1100 | Stewart 156" Ultramat 150
Datasat RS20i | 3 x MC601 | 1 x MC205 | Oppo 105 | Lumagen Radiance Pro
B&W 800 / HTM 2 Diamonds | 4 x Paradigm ADP3 | 2 x Fathom F212 | 4 x ML Vanquish
D-Box HEMC & 2 x SRP 330 platforms | Synology DS3615xs 12x6TB drives

Sony VW5000ES on order...
post #7593 of 7598 Old 08-09-2016, 09:03 AM
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
The d-box codes largely are taken from the theatrical releases so I expect these extended editions to have such issues. I too got jolted by the chair with the cannon fire of BvS.LOL
post #7594 of 7598 Unread Today, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Some clarification on the L& R requirements. I have tested this extensively and have confirmation from D-Box Support. L&R only works 100% if you have a stereo downmix. To test this, unplug your audio input and connect some headphones. Do you hear talking/dialog during normal scenes? If yes, you have a downmix. True L&R only will not have any dialog unless it is panned in to the L&R. Using true L&R only, is problematic as there are often passages of no or little sound.

Murat/Peter, has Hyperion's Altitude been modified for downmix?
WiseOwlFinds likes this.

Last edited by thxman; Today at 11:40 AM.
post #7595 of 7598 Unread Today, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
Some clarification on the L& R requirements. I have tested this extensively and have confirmation from D-Box Support. L&R only works 100% if you have a stereo downmix. To test this, unplug your audio input and connect some headphones. Do you hear talking/dialog during normal scenes? If yes, you have a downmix. True L&R only will not have any dialog unless it is panned in to the L&R. Using true L&R only, is problematic as there are often passages of no or little sound.

Murat/Peter, has Hyperion's Altitude been modified for downmix?

Thanks thxman, for that clarification...was a little confused about how Peter was able to get the D-Box system to function with just the L & R. On the Yamaha 3050, I needed to use the Left, Center, & Right pre-outs to make the HEMC work properly.
thxman likes this.

Projectors: JVC DLA-RS4910 / Sharp XV-Z30000 / Epson 5030UBe + Elite Screens 135 Inch AVR: Yamaha RX-A3050 Media Players: Oppo 103D / Dune HD Max 7.2.4 Speakers: JTR Triple 8 (x3) (FL, FR, Center) / JTR Slanted 8 (x4) (SL, SR, SBL, SBR) / Polk Audio OWM3 (x4) (Front & Rear Heights) / Sony MDR-HW700DS Headphones (x4) / Rythmik FV15HP Powered Subwoofer (x2) / Crowson Shadow-8 Dual Motion Actuator (T108SS) (x4) + ButtKicker BKA1000-N Power Amplifier (x2) / Emotiva Amplifier/ D-Box System
post #7596 of 7598 Unread Today, 05:37 PM
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Sorry Brandon but I have way to many installs running on just the (not downmixed for sure)L+R, 5 datasat including the ap20 too, and 3 Trinnov including Hyperion.

Can't explain, perhaps it is my magic touch.LOL

Have a great weekend.
post #7597 of 7598 Unread Today, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Can you check the audio with headphones to test? Please
post #7598 of 7598 Unread Today, 05:48 PM
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

I will try looking for headphones but I have an occasional girlfriend that helps herself to all the ear buds and chargers so I may be out.LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)