For all D-Box enthusiasts ! - Page 254 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 288Likes

post #7591 of 7636 Old 08-01-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspotorno View Post
Just watched BvS extended edition using the HEMC.

This was the first movie where I've noticed the lack of coding for the extended edition made a difference. The HEMC did keep up and resync'd however, during the funeral the cannon explosions were mistimed and in a very quiet scene all of a sudden the chairs "boom" with action, and then the canon's would visually go a few seconds later...

OK, I assumed my plan to use just L&R were a bad idea as I have had all kinds of issues. Maybe I need to pick a different flick to test.

Have you reported this to D-Box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7592 of 7636 Old 08-01-2016, 04:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have my HEMC hooked up to L/R channels essentially, and it works perfectly.

The issue with Extended Editions and the HEMC is the buffer of the unit itself. It continues to play motion codes, but on extended sequences, there are a couple of moments that may not "Fit" with the current scene.

In BvS, at the funeral several additional scenes were added before the cannons fire, so the cannons fired in HEMC but not on the movie yet. The device did catch up quickly and continued but is was very noticeable.

This also happened on LotR Extended Edition if I remember, but not in places where there was really quiet part of the movie and then intense action and then quiet again...

I do not think they are going to code each and every "Edition" of the movies anymore. I could be wrong, but that was the feeling I get.

Sony VW1100 | Stewart 156" Ultramat 150
Datasat RS20i | 3 x MC601 | 1 x MC205 | Oppo 105 | Lumagen Radiance Pro
B&W 800 / HTM 2 Diamonds | 4 x Paradigm ADP3 | 2 x Fathom F212 | 4 x ML Vanquish
D-Box HEMC & 2 x SRP 330 platforms | Synology DS3615xs 12x6TB drives

Sorry Sony took too long! JVC DLA-RS4500 on order...
post #7593 of 7636 Old 08-09-2016, 09:03 AM
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Send a message via Skype™ to CINERAMAX
The d-box codes largely are taken from the theatrical releases so I expect these extended editions to have such issues. I too got jolted by the chair with the cannon fire of BvS.LOL
post #7594 of 7636 Old 08-19-2016, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Some clarification on the L& R requirements. I have tested this extensively and have confirmation from D-Box Support. L&R only works 100% if you have a stereo downmix. To test this, unplug your audio input and connect some headphones. Do you hear talking/dialog during normal scenes? If yes, you have a downmix. True L&R only will not have any dialog unless it is panned in to the L&R. Using true L&R only, is problematic as there are often passages of no or little sound.

Murat/Peter, has Hyperion's Altitude been modified for downmix?
WiseOwlFinds likes this.

Last edited by thxman; 08-19-2016 at 11:40 AM.
post #7595 of 7636 Old 08-19-2016, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
Some clarification on the L& R requirements. I have tested this extensively and have confirmation from D-Box Support. L&R only works 100% if you have a stereo downmix. To test this, unplug your audio input and connect some headphones. Do you hear talking/dialog during normal scenes? If yes, you have a downmix. True L&R only will not have any dialog unless it is panned in to the L&R. Using true L&R only, is problematic as there are often passages of no or little sound.

Murat/Peter, has Hyperion's Altitude been modified for downmix?

Thanks thxman, for that clarification...was a little confused about how Peter was able to get the D-Box system to function with just the L & R. On the Yamaha 3050, I needed to use the Left, Center, & Right pre-outs to make the HEMC work properly.
thxman likes this.

Projectors: JVC DLA-RS4910 / Sharp XV-Z30000 / Epson 5030UBe + Elite Screens 135 Inch AVR: Yamaha RX-A3050 Media Players: Oppo 103D / Dune HD Max 7.2.4 Speakers: JTR Triple 8 (x3) (FL, FR, Center) / JTR Slanted 8 (x4) (SL, SR, SBL, SBR) / Polk Audio OWM3 (x4) (Front & Rear Heights) / Sony MDR-HW700DS Headphones (x4) / Rythmik FV15HP Powered Subwoofer (x2) / Crowson Shadow-8 Dual Motion Actuator (T108SS) (x4) + ButtKicker BKA1000-N Power Amplifier (x2) / Emotiva Amplifier/ D-Box System
post #7596 of 7636 Old 08-19-2016, 05:37 PM
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

Sorry Brandon but I have way to many installs running on just the (not downmixed for sure)L+R, 5 datasat including the ap20 too, and 3 Trinnov including Hyperion.

Can't explain, perhaps it is my magic touch.LOL

Have a great weekend.
post #7597 of 7636 Old 08-19-2016, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Can you check the audio with headphones to test? Please
post #7598 of 7636 Old 08-19-2016, 05:48 PM
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

I will try looking for headphones but I have an occasional girlfriend that helps herself to all the ear buds and chargers so I may be out.LOL
thxman likes this.
post #7599 of 7636 Old 08-29-2016, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 182
So very many D-BOX users affected by the Kaleidescape debacle (they shut their doors if anybody doesn't know)? I think D-BOX is in the same niche, I hope they are doing well enough to stay viable. I'm thinking there were at least some potential Kaleidescape users that saw the HEMC as a way to combine the two systems, and the HEMC might have been the enabler for them to get burnt. I also think this could indirectly hurt D-BOX sales going forward.

Luckily, by the time the HEMC came out, I wasn't serious about Kaleidescape any more.

Matt

UMR on HDR vs 4K: The benefit of greater saturation and luminance capability is...not very evident in all images unlike more pixels which can be seen in every scene.
post #7600 of 7636 Old 08-29-2016, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
So very many D-BOX users affected by the Kaleidescape debacle (they shut their doors if anybody doesn't know)? I think D-BOX is in the same niche, I hope they are doing well enough to stay viable. I'm thinking there were at least some potential Kaleidescape users that saw the HEMC as a way to combine the two systems, and the HEMC might have been the enabler for them to get burnt. I also think this could indirectly hurt D-BOX sales going forward.

Luckily, by the time the HEMC came out, I wasn't serious about Kaleidescape any more.
If D-Box solely relied on the consumer market they probably would be out of business already. It is the synergies from the commercial sector that makes and keeps the home sector feasible. It is the recurring revenue from the cinemas that keeps D-Box afloat. A least that is what their financial statements tell me...

I briefy considered Kaleidescape, but their full service approach and lockdown of the system kept me away... simply priced too high for me... each and every component... the players (w/o 3D), the harddrives @pri ces x times the price of a comparable disk on the PC components market... then the need to buy disc vaults... one for each 200 discs... I would need 7 or 8 of them... where to put them... all in all a great idea, but not feasible for me. Sad to see them go though. Despite streaming, there is a niche for a local media server, especially if we are talking about highest quality in video and audio.

Another two cents from me!

Markus
WiseOwlFinds likes this.
post #7601 of 7636 Old 09-01-2016, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Use a platform for D-Box or only seats?

I am interested to integrate a D-Box system in my new theater, but I wonder what brings the most immersive/most realistic experience:

1-Buy special seats with built-in actuators?
2-Built a platform and connect the actuators to the platform?

If the second option is the best: how much space is needed under the platform for the actuators?

I tried to look for this information on the D-Box site, but I couldn't find anything...
post #7602 of 7636 Old 09-01-2016, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Grail View Post
I am interested to integrate a D-Box system in my new theater, but I wonder what brings the most immersive/most realistic experience:

If the second option is the best: how much space is needed under the platform for the actuators?

I tried to look for this information on the D-Box site, but I couldn't find anything...

I think I covered that in my FAQ

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
unOFFICIAL D-Box HEMC FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #7603 of 7636 Old 09-01-2016, 12:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I have 2 platforms (SB330) each with 2 seats on them. The actuators (the side panels) are about 2 - 2.5" wide. I had to bolt a plywood platform under the seats to support them and bolted the seats to the plywood. Painted it black and you can hardly notice it, I have black carpet.

My seats were purchased such that I can take the center arm rest off and make it a love seat or 2 individual seats.

Overall, I am happy with the performance of the platforms. The side panels do require you to have enough room to the left / right so if your seats are ment to be part of a "Group" that might be an issue.

B&W 800 / HTM 2 Diamonds | 4 x Paradigm ADP3 | 2 x Fathom F212 | 4 x ML Vanquish

post #7604 of 7636 Old 09-01-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvais View Post
I think I covered that in my FAQ
Great FAQ, just read through it.
However, I couldn't find the answers to my questions in your FAQ...
post #7605 of 7636 Old 09-01-2016, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Integrated actuators will give you a bit better experience from what my dealer told me years ago. I've never tried a platform model, only the integrated version.

unOFFICIAL D-Box FAQ here!
unOFFICIAL D-Box HEMC FAQ here!
Hail to the King, baby!
post #7606 of 7636 Old 09-01-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I have 2 platforms (SB330) each with 2 seats on them. The actuators (the side panels) are about 2 - 2.5" wide. I had to bolt a plywood platform under the seats to support them and bolted the seats to the plywood. Painted it black and you can hardly notice it, I have black carpet.

My seats were purchased such that I can take the center arm rest off and make it a love seat or 2 individual seats.

Overall, I am happy with the performance of the platforms. The side panels do require you to have enough room to the left / right so if your seats are ment to be part of a "Group" that might be an issue.
Thanks for your input. So D-box also sells complete (almost) ready to use platforms?
post #7607 of 7636 Old 09-01-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

D-Box no longer sells the actuators (hydraulic) that were made for platforms though they come up used from time to time. You can use the heavy duty 4400i actuators, but with limited capacity at approximately 1600 lbs total (platform+chairs+occupants) which does not go far if you are looking to serve many seats. The nice part of the platforms was that you did not have to recline for better immersion as you need to decouple your feet from the floor with the per chair setups.

Alternatively, the seating actuators have more travel than the old platforms systems (1.5" vs .75"). Also keep in mind that total movement decreases the further apart that actuators are.
post #7608 of 7636 Old 09-01-2016, 03:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

That is strange, D-Box is still listing the platforms on their website... I grabbed a pic from their website

Regarding movement, I'd say we have 1.5" of movement in our platform! When the chairs initialize after a power on, they move a considerable amount.

Possibly we are discussing 2 different technologies? I have 2 love seat platforms, that I mounted 4 seats on. We run them easily with 2 large adults I'd say 500lbs + chairs without an issue. At times, the motion is so much it will launch you out of the chair!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DBoxPlatform.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1636425  

post #7609 of 7636 Old 09-01-2016, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is strange, D-Box is still listing the platforms on their website... I grabbed a pic from their website

Regarding movement, I'd say we have 1.5" of movement in our platform! When the chairs initialize after a power on, they move a considerable amount.
SRP-xxx Motion Platforms are not the "real platforms" they once sold, minus the SRP-530. Believe me, I have 2 SRP-220s and 2 "actual" kits for custom chairs factory reinforced for D-Box. SRPs are just actuators connected by a steel frame. The old platforms could make you think the room was moving.

Last edited by thxman; 09-01-2016 at 04:02 PM.
post #7610 of 7636 Old 09-01-2016, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have 2 love seat platforms, that I mounted 4 seats on. We run them easily with 2 large adults I'd say 500lbs + chairs without an issue. At times, the motion is so much it will launch you out of the chair!
Are your seats "recliners"?
post #7611 of 7636 Old 09-01-2016, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Possibly we are discussing 2 different technologies?
Yes, you are correct. They are different.
post #7612 of 7636 Old 09-01-2016, 10:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Are your seats "recliners"?
Yes, they recline.

To get everything working properly, I bolted the steel frame to 3/4" cabinet grade plywood. I guesstimated the center of gravity, with a person reclined, and positioned the frame slightly towards the back of the plywood.

I then removed the feet from the chairs, and ran large bolts thru the plywood into the wood frame of the chairs. We initially tried bolting the metal frame to the 2 chairs, but it flexed too much in the middle. The plywood was the workaround.

The plywood sits slightly behind the electric foot rests so you cannot really see the platform. I painted the plywood bases flat black, and the chairs are also black leather.

Now had I not just purchased the electric reclining chairs, I might have gone with actual D-Box chairs. But, this was a nice alternative. The love seat / dual chair combo works out well.

Unfortunately, our HT holds 8 chairs and only the center 2 in each row move. However, it has not been an issue, as there are always some people who do not like the movement or feel it is too much.
thxman likes this.

post #7613 of 7636 Old 09-01-2016, 11:07 PM
MESSING WITH YOUR SENSES

My recliner used to fall back cause it was loose on the platform. incliners work best. i have a single incliner and the effects all the way up are very intense, better than the old platform they have more travel.
thxman likes this.
post #7614 of 7636 Old 09-02-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
SRP-xxx Motion Platforms are not the "real platforms" they once sold, minus the SRP-530. Believe me, I have 2 SRP-220s and 2 "actual" kits for custom chairs factory reinforced for D-Box. SRPs are just actuators connected by a steel frame. The old platforms could make you think the room was moving.
I sat on a chair which was mounted on a D-Box platform with 4 actuators underneath (some 10 years ago @ CEDIA) and was really impressed. It was indeed like the room was moving!

So if I got this right, there are three ways to enjoy D-Box in an HT:

1-The old platform system with 4 actuators (no longer in production, I'm afraid)
2-The new platform systems
3-All-in-one D-Box chairs.

So the third option is the best (I need to get new HT seating anyway)n as in the most immersive/most realistic?
post #7615 of 7636 Old 09-02-2016, 08:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I sat on a chair which was mounted on a D-Box platform with 4 actuators underneath (some 10 years ago @ CEDIA) and was really impressed. It was indeed like the room was moving!

So if I got this right, there are three ways to enjoy D-Box in an HT:

1-The old platform system with 4 actuators (no longer in production, I'm afraid)
2-The new platform systems
3-All-in-one D-Box chairs.

So the third option is the best (I need to get new HT seating anyway)n as in the most immersive/most realistic?

If I was buying new seating, then absolutely that is the way to go! Via the IPad software you can set the strength of the motion, just like in the movie theater.
thxman likes this.

post #7616 of 7636 Old 09-02-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post
My recliner used to fall back cause it was loose on the platform. incliners work best. i have a single incliner and the effects all the way up are very intense, better than the old platform they have more travel.
Hi Peter,

Is it possible to set the strength of the effect separately for each chair that is connected to the HEMC? If so, this would be an advantage compared to platform systems.

Are those D-Box enabled chairs any higher then non-compatible chairs?
post #7617 of 7636 Old 09-05-2016, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does anyone have an update on the Audio Only mode for the new HEMC? It was due this year, we are only a few host months away from the end of the year and still not sign of it!?!?
post #7618 of 7636 Old 09-18-2016, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Where can I get information on the D-Box All in one chairs?
thxman likes this.
post #7619 of 7636 Old 09-18-2016, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
Got mine from Frank at VisionHD but their website seems down.

https://www.facebook.com/Vision-HD-1...m&tab=overview
SOWK likes this.
post #7620 of 7636 Old 09-19-2016, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
I also bought mine from VisionHD but it was from Stephane. However, my order was placed all the way back in March 2016, and i still have not received anything 😔

This is not VisionHD's fault though, it is the fault of the Seats Manufacturer Jaymar. VisionHD is great and I can highly recommend them, however i would not choose Jaymar for your seats if you want them in a decent amount of time!

They are slow at communicating and even slower at getting things done. If you want your seats any time soon i would highly recommend to look for an alternative manufacturer however, VisionHD can help you with that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page