post #811 of 6575 Old 01-19-2008, 05:29 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post

Yannick, thanks for the detailed explanation.

My opinion, would be to focus on the rapid release of the major films, and fill in the less relevant titles, when time allows. I think TV shows should be the lowest on the scale, and of course, HD material is my priority. It just seems there are a number of obscure titles, and choices pushing the important releases off to far to wait.

I also think that consideration should be given, to movies that have a lot of valuable motion in them, and less emphasis on ones that have mostly vibration, or little action in them at all.

For example, I just couldn't wait any longer, and watched 3:10 to Yuma tonight. I watched it with the system in Audio mode, and I am really glad I didn't wait. I think that I got 90% of the impact of the experience, because it was mostly gunshots, and vibrations, and very little motion. Spending a lot of time on this film, would be less preferable to a movie that had a lot of car chases, and crashes, or films with flying sequences. So, for me, I would prefer to see preference be given to movies with a lot of motion in them.

I agree that you should focus on major titles first. However, let me put in a plug for movies with little action in them at all, which use motion codes sparingly with great effect.

For example, watching Crank was like riding a roller coaster; by the end, you are pretty much ready to get off the ride. Alternatively, The Lady in the Water did not have much motion at all, and had a great impact on me when it did. The motion codes in a movie like that really add to the particular scene, in my opinion.

I'm not saying that Crank wasn't a lot of fun, just that I enjoy a movie with more subtlety. I was really upset that I could not watch Disturbia with motion...it would have been phenomenal! Even my wife said to me: "That would have been great with motion!".

Choosing the order of programming movies is of utmost importance, but good luck trying to please everyone, Yannick.

That's my $.02

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 6575 Old 01-19-2008, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I really want to watch Sunshine, and being a Fox release, I was hoping we would have the codes by now.

Edit: Couldn't wait, so this one is off my list as well. Rather weird movie, but pretty good. Would have been better with codes.

Phil
post #813 of 6575 Old 01-21-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 58

What D-box, needs now
is a partnership with Showscan
look at all the titles that were authored
for motion.

What D-Box needs now
is to release one of these
every month
so that they can keep
all these motion junkies
hip.

These are available in 1080p 60 frames a second.

post #814 of 6575 Old 01-21-2008, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I really go out of my way to avoid spoilers... I really would have appreciated not having the ending talked about... anyway, would like to see 3:10 to yuma codes, The Invisible, etc...

What's the word on the invisible...? I haven't checked the new d-box website lately because it drives me crazy...
post #815 of 6575 Old 01-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you for the reply. The new Motion Code web page will have more interaction and more possibilities. I won't say more as things are not yet secure, but it will be a lot better then it was.

Here are the latest motion Code

1/18/2008 MEET THE ROBINSONS
1/18/2008 PLANET TERROR
1/10/2008 EVAN ALMIGHTY
1/10/2008 HOME ~ BRAVE
post #816 of 6575 Old 01-21-2008, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Any HD codes? I wanted to watch Meet the Robinsons, but there were only SD codes last time I checked.

Phil
post #817 of 6575 Old 01-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

I will double check tomorrow SD and BD should be available at the same time...
post #818 of 6575 Old 01-22-2008, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Here's another step forward, our first Disney movie embedding D-BOX technology.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1218/gameplan.html

D-Box - 'The Game Plan' is also notable for being the first Disney title to feature D-Box-enhancement, which adds a little rumble to the flick if your home theater seats are so equipped.
post #819 of 6575 Old 01-22-2008, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My opinion, would be to focus on the rapid release of the major films, and fill in the less relevant titles, when time allows.

Agreed. I'm not sure who makes the decisions for releases... but there quite a bit of obscure/not so good titles being coded.

Quote:

I think TV shows should be the lowest on the scale

Agreed.

Quote:

HD material is my priority. It just seems there are a number of obscure titles, and choices pushing the important releases off to far to wait.

Yes... Blu Ray, Blu Ray, Blu Ray...

Quote:

I agree that you should focus on major titles first. However, let me put in a plug for movies with little action in them at all, which use motion codes sparingly with great effect.

For example, watching Crank was like riding a roller coaster; by the end, you are pretty much ready to get off the ride. Alternatively, The Lady in the Water did not have much motion at all, and had a great impact on me when it did. The motion codes in a movie like that really add to the particular scene, in my opinion.

I'm not saying that Crank wasn't a lot of fun, just that I enjoy a movie with more subtlety. I was really upset that I could not watch Disturbia with motion...it would have been phenomenal! Even my wife said to me: "That would have been great with motion!".

I would have to agree that I would not make a preference based on how much motion is in the movie. The movies with occasional action benefit just as much (in some cases more) becasue you can get desensitized by heavy motion/action movies.... Tactile is always beneficial too. So my priority would be based on popularity of the movies and filling in the more obsure titles as time permits. Blu Ray titles should get first priority, period.
post #820 of 6575 Old 01-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Meet the Robinson should be coming out shortly. There is a challenge with that one at the moment.
post #821 of 6575 Old 01-22-2008, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the update. I received four new Blu-Ray's today, and am wondering whether to watch them or wait. They are:

Resident Evil Extinction
Shoot Em Up
Donnie Brasco
Legend Of Zorro

I also have a rental of "War" (BD of course) coming later this week, which I will probably watch on Wednesday or Thursday.

Phil
post #822 of 6575 Old 01-22-2008, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

The Invisible, War, Shoot em up.... Yea, I'm waiting for these also... We requested "The Invisible" a while back now, so maybe that will be done sometime soon... Would be great to see the D-Box website updated with releases in a cue... instead of "coming soon" Would be nice to actually see the order in the 'cue' rather than coming soon... Yannick, would it be possible for the coming soon section to list them in the order they are being prioritized (instead of just coming soon)?
post #823 of 6575 Old 01-23-2008, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Nut View Post

The Invisible, War, Shoot em up.... Yea, I'm waiting for these also... We requested "The Invisible" a while back now, so maybe that will be done sometime soon... Would be great to see the D-Box website updated with releases in a cue... instead of "coming soon" Would be nice to actually see the order in the 'cue' rather than coming soon... Yannick, would it be possible for the coming soon section to list them in the order they are being prioritized (instead of just coming soon)?

Good point I will bring it up. FYI it will be difficult to tell you exactly which movie for the simple reason that the first priority is always to do the movies we are going to be embedded on. So when these come up we have to take 1, 2 or 3 Motion Artist to make sure they are on time. Then they go back to there movie. Sometimes it can happen on a really good movie (Bourne Ultimatum) for instance had to be set aside for a little over a week. We will try to inform you as best as we can on the ones being codes and next in line...
post #824 of 6575 Old 01-23-2008, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not suggesting a date for release, or any guarantee for time released, however, what we really need is to see the 'cue'... what order the movie is being worked on... that way we have a better way of knowing how long we have to wait and whether to hold out for codes or not... It would really be great if they listed the order in which they were working on them, that is all... Would be an improvement and helpful to us...
post #825 of 6575 Old 01-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm not suggesting a date for release, or any guarantee for time released, however, what we really need is to see the 'cue'... what order the movie is being worked on... that way we have a better way of knowing how long we have to wait and whether to hold out for codes or not... It would really be great if they listed the order in which they were working on them, that is all... Would be an improvement and helpful to us...

Fair enough!
post #826 of 6575 Old 01-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Today's releases

Meet the Robinsons BD
The Reaping BD and DVD
post #827 of 6575 Old 01-25-2008, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank-you!

P.S. I think it is safe to say, even though "The Reaping" is a Blu Ray, it got such horrible reviews, absolutely horrible... even I passed on it... That would have been one I would have voted to deprioritize Just out of curiousity, who chooses which movies to code? Who makes those decisions?
post #828 of 6575 Old 01-25-2008, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been trying to find out the answer to that question for some time now. Apparently it is being kept as safe as the Colonel's secret recipe.

Phil
post #829 of 6575 Old 01-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank-you!

P.S. I think it is safe to say, even though "The Reaping" is a Blu Ray, it got such horrible reviews, absolutely horrible... even I passed on it... That would have been one I would have voted to deprioritize Just out of curiousity, who chooses which movies to code? Who makes those decisions?

I haven't seen that one but it's not because a movie got bad review that it's not good with D-BOX (again I haven't seen that one and not planning on doing it). How movies are picked is rather easier to say then to write, but I'll try my best. Movies are chosen by the Motion artist. Based on popularity of the movie, genre of movie, expected time to code, requests,BD etc... Some movies are used to train our motion artist, some are used to fill in between major releases, some to have a different variety... Our goal is to try to please as many people as we can. As Mark said, it's not an easy task but still what we are trying to achieve. In order to do so, our next Motion Code page will have more interactivity with D-BOX users... One of the benefit to be on this forum is to get a feel of what some of you think. Most of the people read and don't post on the forum and sends PM or email which is just as great. All comments (well most )made are beneficial and makes the product evolving. A voting system will be establish on the next Motion code page and will be directing our choice of certain movie to code.

p.s. a few page ago you mentioned bluray bluray bluray and now you are questioning... C'mon! heheh just kidding

Hope this answers your question!
post #830 of 6575 Old 01-27-2008, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A voting system will be establish on the next Motion code page and will be directing our choice of certain movie to code.

Thank-you, that sounds great.

I do agree about Blu Ray, Blu Ray, Blu Ray... Its just that, for instance, I went to watch Rush Hour 3 tonight, and I swore the codes for that were done, but they are not... Saw 4 Blu Ray is now out as well...

I just brough up "the Reaping" because it was so damn terrible in the reveiws, HORRIBLE!! Like 0.5/5 star that I don't understand why that was coded ahead of the many other movies... that is the only reason I brought it up...

Anyway, the voting system sounds great...

Please also add "SAW 4", and "Rush Hour 3" to the list... Did I mention "The Invisible"
post #831 of 6575 Old 01-27-2008, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

All I know is that you guys better do Cloverfield day and date of release- I just watched it and can only imagine how cool it would be with motion!
post #832 of 6575 Old 01-27-2008, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I avoid all previews... don't watch too much TV either so it is easy to avoid them...

However, I believe "CLOVERFIELD" is Paramount... So unless they switch back to Blu Ray soon, we may have to wait...
post #833 of 6575 Old 01-28-2008, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Is there a weight limit for each product?

EG, a custom platform with 3-4 seat - how heavy can the seats be?

The reason I ask is because I'm going to be using great big Laz-a-boy type seats in my HT - getting each individual seat 'enabled' would probably be an expensive exercise.

Has anyone compared using multi-seat platforms vs single seat setups - ie having less length in the acctuators etc

Cheers

My goal: A blend of double stacked G90s! Encased in ice to prevent drift.
post #834 of 6575 Old 01-28-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I avoid all previews... don't watch too much TV either so it is easy to avoid them...

However, I believe "CLOVERFIELD" is Paramount... So unless they switch back to Blu Ray soon, we may have to wait...

They are HDDVD exclusive, but unless they are complete dumb asses, they will switch soon.
post #835 of 6575 Old 01-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverg View Post

Is there a weight limit for each product?

EG, a custom platform with 3-4 seat - how heavy can the seats be?

The reason I ask is because I'm going to be using great big Laz-a-boy type seats in my HT - getting each individual seat 'enabled' would probably be an expensive exercise.

Has anyone compared using multi-seat platforms vs single seat setups - ie having less length in the acctuators etc

Cheers

Their is a weight limit for each product. For the CMP you are looking at 2000LBS. Universal Motion Platform (for each individual) it can be 400LBS for a 2 axis or 750LBS for a 3 axis. It would be a little cheaper to do 3 UMP and a littl more expensive to do 4, but the experience would be better (my opinion). Best thing would be for you to experience them side by side.
post #836 of 6575 Old 01-28-2008, 07:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverg View Post

As Yannick said, try each for yourself. Wavetrain is the local distributor here.

( B ) ( G ) ( R ) BlendZilla DownUnder ( R ) ( G ) ( B ) - Tubes of Fury
post #837 of 6575 Old 01-28-2008, 09:54 PM

Be nice if there was a clear listing of what D-box has to offer on there site with msrp!

The site is very vague

Richard
post #838 of 6575 Old 01-29-2008, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardvan View Post

Be nice if there was a clear listing of what D-box has to offer on there site with msrp!

The site is very vague

Richard

The site is not yet completed. Not sure if there will ever be MSRP on it, but I will bring it up. If you are not yet familiar with the products it is a little confusing...
post #839 of 6575 Old 01-29-2008, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm having a couple movie parties this weekend and two requests rolled in:

3:10 to yuma

war

Ugh......
post #840 of 6575 Old 01-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Finally we got it!

The invisible in BD and SD

upcoming for the week-end

28 weeks
Bourne Ultimatum (doing all we can to release it on friday)
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page