Advertisement

post #152 of 6597 Old 04-17-2007, 07:05 PM
jph

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the same camp.

Jumped on the HD-DVD bus when it was the only ride around. Now, I find myself pulling out standard def DVDs as my movie watching companion prefers the D-Box experience over the pristine picture.

-john
post #153 of 6597 Old 04-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

OK then let's all send the Toshiba e-mails to Yannick and hope they will listen. I'm writing mine right now.
post #154 of 6597 Old 04-18-2007, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

John

Have you gotten the latest software update so you can now enjoy HD in bluray with your D-box system?
post #155 of 6597 Old 04-18-2007, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by YannickG View Post

The actuators in the gaming platform are the same! If you are looking for the best experience it's in a single seat (you get a little more than the loveseat since the actuators are really close to you. In the loveseat you have one side close and the other one person away.

Do you have a list of supported (or intended to support) games for the gaming platform yet?

Thanks!

Andy K.
post #156 of 6597 Old 04-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromkamp View Post

Do you have a list of supported (or intended to support) games for the gaming platform yet?

Thanks!

Andy K.

We have R-Factor which is almost completed (we revised it with a new interface and easy motion adjustment for the different cars and tracks). Flight Sim is the next one I believe. There is also interest from the game companies to include motion to there games so it's going to be picking up eventually. There is one schedule to be release later on this year... (can't say their name yet).
post #157 of 6597 Old 04-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Yannick

I'm using analog outputs from my Panasonic BR player to my AVP and a separate optical cable to D-Box controller. With this setup I was able to get the D-Box work with DTS-HD Master Audio tracks on some BR titles.

But I have a problem with Panasonic player's latest firmware upgrade v2.0. I downloaded this upgrade so that the panny can decode the DD TrueHD and DTS HD formats. With this new firmware, it's recommended that If you're using the analog outs (like I do) or HDMI, you want to set Dolby Digital Plus/TrueHD and DTS-HD both to PCM. When I do so I can't get the D-Box work. When I set the players DD Plus/TrueHD and DTS-HD to Bitstream then D-Box can synch again, but this way I think I can't get these lossless formats decoded (I get sound on all channels either on Bitstream and PCM)

I don't know why this is happening. I 've thought D-Box only synchs with PCM signals, but not in this case. Any suggestions? What should I do here?
post #158 of 6597 Old 04-19-2007, 06:55 AM

Finally saw a demo (well sat in one). Very impressive. I'm glad we carry this line. Though it's not a mainstram item in all home theaters, there's no denying it's fun, it adds a whole nother dimension to movie watching and it's one of the coolest accessories for home theater.

I liked it a lot more than just the butt kicker experience.

Richard
post #159 of 6597 Old 04-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murat View Post

Yannick

I'm using analog outputs from my Panasonic BR player to my AVP and a separate optical cable to D-Box controller. With this setup I was able to get the D-Box work with DTS-HD Master Audio tracks on some BR titles.

But I have a problem with Panasonic player's latest firmware upgrade v2.0. I downloaded this upgrade so that the panny can decode the DD TrueHD and DTS HD formats. With this new firmware, it's recommended that If you're using the analog outs (like I do) or HDMI, you want to set Dolby Digital Plus/TrueHD and DTS-HD both to PCM. When I do so I can't get the D-Box work. When I set the players DD Plus/TrueHD and DTS-HD to Bitstream then D-Box can synch again, but this way I think I can't get these lossless formats decoded (I get sound on all channels either on Bitstream and PCM)

I don't know why this is happening. I 've thought D-Box only synchs with PCM signals, but not in this case. Any suggestions? What should I do here?

Well D-Box only synchronize with Bitstream (DD or DTS) but not with the PCM in DVD and Bluray. I'm not too sure if you lose your lossless format on bitstream though I would have to confirm that ... maybe some others could chip in but I'll find out!
post #160 of 6597 Old 04-22-2007, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I checked out some Quest chairs today at a very good setup... demoing a few different clips including The Incredibles and a few others... I assume they were the 3-Axis since the seemed to tilt forward/back/left/right... I have to say I was a little underwhelmed. There didn't seem to be enough variety. I think the gain was appropriately adjusted, and the demo was very good. I guess I just expected a greater degree of motion at times. It just seemed to do the same little things over and over, like I would get bored of it to some degree. I guess my thought it that if you are going to do 3-D motion, it should do more in terms of motion capabilities (not talking about tactile, although higher frequency capability would be helpful as well as discussed previously). The discrete track is nice, but I think Crowson with a discrete track could do a better job at pure tactile (if they had a discrete track).

Sure the 0-5 Hz advantage is nice of the D-Box. The 3-D motion is unique to D-Box, and the discrete track is absolutely neccessary. I think Crowson with a discrete tactile track would be superior at tactile however (minus the nice aspect of the D-box 0-5 Hz ability).

I wish there was more range to the motion with D-Box so that you could have a greater degree of effects with more variety of motion in the 3-D motion pattern. I honestly felt bored after a couple minutes. The experience was a bit monotonous. Perhaps they can improve the actuators range to give a greater degree of tilt (for greater variability). The seats always seemd to tilt to the same degree every time (monotonous). I defintely would not be happy with a custom motion platform (which I demoed previously) due to the very small tilting capabilities. I was not happy with the Quest tilting capabilities which were rated at 1.5 inches. I feel that 3 inches or so would allow a greater degree of variability and a more interesting experience. Too limited in range of motion. Wider range allows for more variability.
post #161 of 6597 Old 04-22-2007, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
What movie were you watching during the demo?

Phil
post #162 of 6597 Old 04-22-2007, 07:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Sounds like he wants it to be an amusement ride

( B ) ( G ) ( R ) BlendZilla DownUnder ( R ) ( G ) ( B ) - Tubes of Fury
post #163 of 6597 Old 04-22-2007, 08:46 PM

Here's a question for D-Box experts...which of the Quest X3me chairs do you prefer and why? I'm talking about the models 200 and 300. What are the pros and cons?

Thanks!

Joe

Joe's Movie Mutterings

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #164 of 6597 Old 04-22-2007, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well D-Box only synchronize with Bitstream (DD or DTS) but not with the PCM in DVD and Bluray. I'm not too sure if you lose your lossless format on bitstream though I would have to confirm that ... maybe some others could chip in but I'll find out!

OK I've got it wrong with PCM needed for D-Box and have it working now when the optical output is set to Bitstream.

But we'll have the same problem when we, hopefully, get the HDMI upgrade for Halcro's. With this upgrade Halcro will be able to accept PCM signals for DD-TrueHD, LPCM, DTS-HD over HDMI for all surround channels. This will enable us to skip the analog connections which we use for HDDVD and BD. But when we do do so all the signals coming in will be PCM. So how can we get the D-Box synch?
Do you have any plans/upgrades for PCM signals?
post #165 of 6597 Old 04-23-2007, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I watched a few different movies, it was all automated and had the best demo clips from each movie... The demo was as well setup and calibrated as possible. The Incredibles, finding Nemo, and 2-3 minute clips from other movies.

Quote:

Sounds like he wants it to be an amusement ride

Universal Studios movie rides are surely the standard But in all seriousness, I was with three people and we all went together. One person also said they like it better than buttkickers, but also felt that all of the demos blurred together that every effect felt the same after a while. The seats tilted sightly left or slightly right, or rocked back and forth, but seemed monotonous after a while. One person said they think they could get annoyed after a while.

Personally, in an overall sense, I do like it better than the buttkickers. The Chairs also seemed very comfortable. but I think D-box could be better. I certainly applaud them for being pioneers for home theater since nobody else has taken up the 3-D motion cause for home. I do however think that they could continue to improve in both the range of the 3-D motion capabilities as well as the tactile experience. Please don't interpret this as wanting more in a sense that this is something to just turn the gain up, no! Nothing to do with some gain setting. This is about allowing for a greater range, which on occasion would have a greater degree of tilt. Tactile doesn't require more excursion from the actuators, but the range of motion needs to be extended.

I think it would be beneficial to extend the effects to 400/500 Hz (they are not 100% attenuated by the furntiture padding). That doesn't mean you have to use the full spectrum all of the time, but it allows for more variability, less monotony, and closer to real life experience. You have a discrete channel, so you have the ability to say what is appropriate and what goes into that track and at what level of gain.

That being said, I'll probably pick up some quest love seats and quest chairs for the front row and use Crowson for the second row. If something better comes out in the future, which I hope it does, I'll just upgrade then.

Quote:

which of the Quest X3me chairs do you prefer and why? I'm talking about the models 200 and 300. What are the pros and cons?

Based on my experiences, I would not get less than the best 3-axis Quest chair they offer. Maybe someday they can increase the range of motion, but I did not feel that even the best Quest Chair had enough range of motion. I expected a significant difference over when I demoed a custom motion platform 2 years ago, but it was only a little improved in terms of range of motion.

My main question remains love seat vs individual chairs. Love seats are nice for couples, and that is usually most of the movie watching that goes on... I was debating on 6 chairs vs 3 loveseats or 1 loveseat and 4 chairs or 2 loveseats and 2 chairs....
post #166 of 6597 Old 04-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murat View Post

OK I've got it wrong with PCM needed for D-Box and have it working now when the optical output is set to Bitstream.

But we'll have the same problem when we, hopefully, get the HDMI upgrade for Halcro's. With this upgrade Halcro will be able to accept PCM signals for DD-TrueHD, LPCM, DTS-HD over HDMI for all surround channels. This will enable us to skip the analog connections which we use for HDDVD and BD. But when we do do so all the signals coming in will be PCM. So how can we get the D-Box synch?
Do you have any plans/upgrades for PCM signals?

Of course we have. We need to keep up to date with the latest technology. Can't tell much on what or when but we will sync with the HD.
post #167 of 6597 Old 04-23-2007, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Nut View Post

I watched a few different movies, it was all automated and had the best demo clips from each movie... The demo was as well setup and calibrated as possible. The Incredibles, finding Nemo, and 2-3 minute clips from other movies.

If it was a 3 axis chair I would strongly suggest you watch more than a 2-3 minute clip to base your opinion on it. But putting more motion than what we have would give you motion sickness (some people already get... ) because the screen is not moving with the seat/platform.

But I understand it's not made for everyone and if a tactile transducer is better, hey! go for it, it's a lot cheaper too...
One thing I really have a hard time with is ''monotonouse'' when talking about the technology but it's your opinion and I respect that. Afterall diversity makes the world a better place.
The best setup is to have them side by side and compare. Then you can make your own opinion and choose what's best and if you do what your are planning on doing you will have a terrific HT.

The single seat will provide you the best overall experience (series 300 my preference) as the actuators are all for you which in the loveseat you need to share with another person. Sharing is good in pretty much all other occasion but I think you should at least get one.
post #168 of 6597 Old 04-23-2007, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I think you are correct: one love seat in the middle and 2 individual seats on each side... (One loveseat with 2 chairs on each side = 6 seats for front row). This would require two controls instead of one I guess (5 chairs and one loveseat vs. 3 love seats). Can one computer run two PC based controllers?

So you are saying that the loveseat, due to the increased width, reduces the degree of angulation somewhat? How much if I may ask?

By the way, I would probably put D-box in the second row also, but cost factors in and besides, the few times the back row gets used it doesn't make sense, so it will be a good demo room to compare Crowson vs D-Box, but only becasue it just makes sense, unless there are people who can afford 12 D-BOX seats Well, possibly, but I start to feel guilty after a while...
post #169 of 6597 Old 04-23-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Is there somewhere I could find out the prices for the custom platform option, and is it possible to get the kit and fit it to your own platform for example?

What are the disadvantages of the platform option over a single ot two seat version?

TIA

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #170 of 6597 Old 04-23-2007, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

The custom motion platform is limited to 3/4 inch from what I understand while the 3-AXIS chairs and loveseats from the Quest series have a 1.5 inch range. After trying both, I wouldn't do the CMP since the CMP is further reduced in range of motion. I build custom platforms all the time, but I would gladly replace my furniture with the Quest products since they are very nice. It would be worth it to go Quest for the increased energy transfer (some lost to platform) and the increased range of motion.

The custom motion platform is on their website and can be used under the four corners of a custom platform (with the given weight and size limitations on the website) www.d-box.com
post #171 of 6597 Old 04-23-2007, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

I'd seen their website, but not any pricing for the platform. I thought it would be a more cost effective means for 3 or 4 seats in a row rather than buying singularly.

Gary

Quote:

post #172 of 6597 Old 04-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post

Thanks.

I'd seen their website, but not any pricing for the platform. I thought it would be a more cost effective means for 3 or 4 seats in a row rather than buying singularly.

Gary

You are right it is cost effective if you are planning on having 4 seats! The retail price of the platform is about 26000$ US (actuators and platform). The advantage of this one is that you can have 4 seats moving on 1 platform, but you have to give out on the motion (3/4 inch on the total width of the platform compare to 1 1/2 inch on a 36'' single seat).
post #173 of 6597 Old 04-24-2007, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info Yannick.

Is there a price list available for all of the D-Box product range (a UK dealer would be ideal)? My room isn't as wide as I'd like it to be, so the custom or universal motion platform may be better suited.

Gary

Quote:

post #174 of 6597 Old 04-24-2007, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Yannick,

I'll drop him a line.

Gary

Quote:

post #175 of 6597 Old 04-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

I wanted to send the info privately... sorry all!
post #176 of 6597 Old 04-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Health nut

On one controller you can do 4 seats (single or loveseat). If you want 1 loveseat and 4 singles yes you would need 2 controllers.

For the loveseat compare to the single I don't have the numbers but you feel less in the right-left motion and if sitting in the left side you get less vibrations from the right side and vice versa...
post #177 of 6597 Old 04-24-2007, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

But for a single person, a love seat really helps out, if you know what I mean...
post #178 of 6597 Old 04-24-2007, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wanted to send the info privately... sorry all!

Hi Yannick,

You can edit the post if you want to remove it!

Quote:

But for a single person, a love seat really helps out, if you know what I mean...

But doesn't that mean you miss the movie??

Gary

Quote:

post #179 of 6597 Old 04-24-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Priorities!!! Bachelor pad first....

Best I can come up with is love seat in middle and two chairs on each side... I could just swap the love seat and chair positions on occasion, but I suppose that would be a pain (always want to sit in middle).
post #180 of 6597 Old 04-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

hehehe Well in this case the difference in motion is a minor thing
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page