JBL Synthesis or Performance - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-28-2007, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone use JBL Synthesis or Performance speakers? I have the opportunity to find a lot out about these and I wondered aside from larger venues, does anyone here run them? What is their value offering, large power for large space? Or do the lower lines of speakers adequately go up against say Triads or more "audiophile" type speakers for home theater.

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-10-2007, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Not exactly a rush of responses

This line has an interesting history. They have and still seem to occupy the transition zone of rooms that are really big, but not quite big enough to require commercial theater equipment (and definitely never officially for DIY). There's just no line other than this I know of that actually publishes what their max room volume spec is. Of course that is also based on a very rigid adherence to the specific products and installation protocol executed by designated installers. The SDEC units were pretty leading edge technology ahead of their time, but very expensive. I don't know anything about the new SDEC. The Performance line was kind of assimilated into the Synthesis line and pairs with the new surrounds as a non-compression driver/horn option. For the right sized room, the Performance series is reportedly very good, but just not marketed as a mass market product it seems. The Synthesis packaged, rigid installation approach (and very high price tag) has been an obstacle to mass acceptance by the public. Probably just the way JBL wants it

JBL Synthesis rooms I have heard were some of the most impressive.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-12-2007, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Cam Man's response was almost spot on for JBL. the new SDEC is designed for the new 7.1 configurations. the last units were for 5.1
JBL's goal for the Synthesis line has always been to make a system that betters commercial venues in a smaller environment (ie. your house).
several years ago at CES, the DTS booth used JBL speakers with Halcro amps. it was consistently rated one of the best surround set-ups. after that, DTS used PMC speakers with the same Halcro gear and it sounded nowhere near the same. this year, they used a very small booth and prety much gave their dvd's away. i don't even remember the speakers used this year.
we are the largest ci JBL dealer in the states and i can say that their systems are extremely well put together and perform as they say.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-12-2007, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

There's just no line other than this I know of that actually publishes what their max room volume spec is.

Some others do, too.
I couldn't find the equivalent table for ATCs, but in general, high-end commercial equipment will publish these specs. It's part of what makes them "commercial."
post #5 of 7 Old 04-12-2007, 07:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSRichard View Post

Anyone use JBL Synthesis or Performance speakers? I have the opportunity to find a lot out about these and I wondered aside from larger venues, does anyone here run them? What is their value offering, large power for large space? Or do the lower lines of speakers adequately go up against say Triads or more "audiophile" type speakers for home theater.

Richard

Before Triad, I was Lead Accounts Manager for a number of Harman companies, including JBL Synthesis. Obviously, I won't give an opinion in this venue, but...

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #6 of 7 Old 04-12-2007, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Paul I sell both JBL and Triad. Both have there benefits and drawbacks. Nothing or no one is perfect.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-26-2008, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Not that anyone is still interested in this topic, but I have two JBL Performance Series multichannel systems: 5.1 for music and 7.1 for HT.

The HT is set up in a dedicated, completely light controlled and sound controlled room. It's set to THX standard and uses multi-subs (PS1400 and HTPS400--two each), six PT800s and a PC600, along with the Performance Series (aka Lexicon) electronics. The room is right in the sweet spot of room volume for this Ti direct radiator system, and it's simply awesome.

None of my buddies, most of whom spent a lot more money, has a system that can match it, and their constant lament is "Why doesn't my set up sound this good?"

Of course the answer is easy: you didn't bother to treat the room, you didn't bother to buy speakers that fit the size of the room, and you didn't get it set up properly. And this last bit has a whole lot to do with JBL's whole system philosophy. In addition, these Performance Series speakers are stars in their own right.

For the 5.1 music system on the main floor, it's in a large open living space (1600+ sq. ft.), well away from any boundaries. It's two PT800/PS1400 stacks, three PT800s (one as center) and an HTPS400 as the .1 LFE unit. It's ridiculous how it performs when given that freedom, and it easily fills the entire space.

I'm not a big fan of horn-based systems in the home, though I have a few horn stacks down in the music room that can really rattle the whole house. So I was very happy to find these Ti inverted dome wonders from JBL that really took my breath away the first time I hear them and sounded even better when we finished setting them up and calibrating them at home.

So there you go; I liked it so much, I bought it twice, both for music and movies.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page