High-end DVD Display/Storage Solutions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-31-2007, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know that ultimately many of us have their own custom built solutions for high end home theaters that involve part of the room construction. I'm still moving about and not yet ready to do a custom house and home theater, so I'm in need of some high end storage/displays for my DVD collection which numbers at 1200 with room to go to about 2000...

My Billy Bags 2000 storage solution is nice, http://www.billybags.com/productsfr.html

... and I could just keep adding 1000 EX extensions indefintely, however before I do that I was wondering what other people use or may know about to suggest options...

The nice part of the Billy bags is the height of 77 inches tall. This is good with a large collection. Other companies make some nice products are only around 5 feet tall: you lose about two or three rows of DVDs in terms of height which makes you have to go ridiculously wide to make up for it.

http://www.storeyourmedia.com/512-cd...or-silver.aspx seems kida nice since you could optimize the shelving height as well as being able to optimally center the rack on the wall.

This could be good, well if it was in Black and much taller and use multiple of course http://www.storeyourmedia.com/nexus-...2-cd-rack.aspx seems very adjustable, not that you need that much but some DVD boxes are bigger, particularly those special Editions that come in metal boxes or such... I usually put those on the top shelf anyway so not a big deal.

I also liked this unit, well, I mean I'm not thrilled with any but this has glass dorrs which is nice:

http://www.storeyourmedia.com/images...4/M-1431DC.jpg

It is only about 5 feet tall and I'd have to get like three of them which is too wide I think...

Anyway, if you could share your high end DVD storage solutions I'd appreciate it.... I'd even like to see pictures of your custom home theater storage solutions, even if I am not able to employ them at this time, it would be nice to see all of your pictures...

Thanks,

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-12-2007, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm using Soricé B-300 series cabinets. Each holds 300 CDs or 144 DVDs.

In my setup I stack the B-300s with a toe-kick base and smoked glass doors. (This setup is approx. 83" tall, and gives you storage for 288 DVDs in less than 23" of wall space)

Soricé is very good at matching the finish of previous orders, so when you need more storage you can be sure that the additional units have a matching finish. I've been very satisfied with the quality of the Soricé units and can highly recommend them!

Oh, and I should point out that these cabinets are ideal if you're on the move. The modular construction makes the individual pieces small and light enough to be assembled/disassembled and moved by one man alone.

Peter
LL
post #3 of 3 Old 04-12-2007, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very Nice!

I wish I would have found those before I ordered a third Billy Bags DVD rack. I will defintely bookmark those for a future purchase.

I just hope that physical media for movies doesn't become antiquated. We all keep hearing talk about how Blue Ray and HD-DVD are going to be the last physical medium for movies, and that everything in the future will be downloaded.

My question is: If movies now take about 50GB for full quality, and in the future we expect further improvements requiring more space, what kind of quality level will those downloads be? Will I be able to have managed copies so that I can play the movie in my car, bedroom, and other rooms? How can we be expected to download 50 GB movies? Persoanlly I would love to have a server full of 1500 movies, but at 50 GB, that is a rediculous amount of storage space, although they say 50 Terabyte hard drives will be a reality in 10 years.

Problem is that I am not going to participate in a pay per play, or any of those dumb movies from the cable companies. I have no interest in cable companies movies. I want to own the movies I like in full quality.

Just like we can buy CD's or SACD, or DVD-Audio, the only downloadable music is very lossy and lower quality. I've only seen overcompressed downloads for DVD's compressing the usual 4-5 GB into 1GB. I don't see downloading with quality for either music or movies. When they can provide full quality 50 GB downloads for movies, and CD quality or better lossless audio for music, then I would be interested.

Thanks again for your excellent storage solution, it was just what I was looking for.

I think next are 3-DBOX Quest Loveseats in Black...
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page