Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGrasshopper View Post

Dearest JJ_0001,

Based on your reply, I am convinced Cap'n understands the concepts; presents them in an intelligent light; and believe it would be best for the readers in this blog for you to move on and reconsider posting contradictory, circular, and largely academic concepts.

It's clear, time to move on JJ, let others offer insightful contributions. Perhaps you should consider starting another post about material more familiar to your knowledge base such as a comparison between DTS, Dolby, and Logic7. I would be very interested to read about your findings in this context. Please let us know.

For the record, you clearly do not understand the technical issue at hand, and you have made a clear statement, assuming the mantle of an expert, that is trivially proven wrong. I suggest that you go to the other thread and read the discussions, and then return here and correct your statement.

James D. (jj) Johnston
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 665 Old 01-29-2009, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

There are two constants always reported with burn-in:

1. Burn-in always improves the sound.

When you buy something for its sound, and that sound undergoes a change, it has just as much chance of changing for the better as it does changing for the worse. Yet burn-in always changes for the better.

How does burn-in know what your personal taste is so it can change the sound in that specific direction?

2. Burn-in automatically stops when it sounds right.

When the sound of something is changing, there's no reason it won't continue past what you like. For example: over the course of weeks, the sound of a new component starts to mellow out in the highs while the bass continues to tighten. At some point this continuing change should yield mushy, rolled-off highs and etched, overly-tight bass. But that has never ever been reported to happen.

How does burn-in know what your personal taste is so it can stop changing when the sound is best to you?

Of course, the alternative explanation to the above is that you're simply getting used to the sound. But that's too bizarre and unrealistic to be seriously considered by audiophiles.

Sanjay

Brilliant points!
post #663 of 665 Old 01-29-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabapple View Post

Certain 'audiophiles' will raise lots of questions that were settled long ago, simply because they refuse to do the gruntwork of reading the relevant research papers (even when they're pointed to them).

That's because it's so much easier to read gushing user reviews on forums like this and to read magazine reviews as if something definitive is being said about the speaker. The bummer is that one person says "speaker x is to laid back" and countless newbies are discouraged from trying that speaker b/c of the one specious comment.
post #664 of 665 Old 01-29-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzman View Post

i am one of the staunchest advocates for blind testing.

nobody can trust their ears.

Music to my ears. I've been told many times on this forum: trust ONLY your ears! It only matters what YOU like. All ears hear differently. And on and on...
post #665 of 665 Old 04-04-2009, 05:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
This thread has some of the best (Logical) quotes in a long time and then some of the dumbest opinion ever (how did these people make money to buy AV gear? ).....what a read

and surprisingly Im agreeing with what MarkWriter is posting (its a different side of him from my perspective)

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page