Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 179 Old 01-30-2008, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, i know plenty of people who are quite well respected who feel it is a great product. The best... of course not. there is no best.

As you are the only one shrieking about its horridness... maybe you need to look at your own perception.

Proud Daddy to Anastasia and Christopher.
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...
http://commonsensehasdied.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 179 Old 01-30-2008, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
These threads are so predictable. It is actually amusing in its consistency.

I know I am wasting my time with Cineramax, but one last question, do you respect the opinions of Anthony Grimani?

Coldmachine
Do you just enjoy sarcastic remarks or do you strongly dislike JBL?
post #93 of 179 Old 01-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
coldmachine,

I have a pair of Sonus Faber boxed speaker (passive, boxed), and a 7.1 HT consisting of Genelecs 3 x AOW312 (plus other 4 for surrounds) and a Genelec HTS6 (for bass). Genelecs are active but still closed-box speakers.

If you are open to experimentation amd talking about bespoke, I have just made that journey, I auditioned the Orions and finally built them: http://www.linkwitzlab.com/orion_challenge.htm Amazing speakers. I would not put the Genelecs in my living room for aesthetics reasons, the Orions are not my cup of tea either but at least are tolerable in appearance...

BTW, the guy who designed the Orions is a reputable engineer who amongst other things co-designed the crossover that almost every passive speaker has today... he is not your typical quasi-scientific audiophile...

OOO CRT Blend powered OOO Blog
post #94 of 179 Old 01-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Forgot to say, but of all speakers I've listened the Orions coupled with a powerful sub would be my choice should I need speakers for a regular room or speakers that don't need hiding.

For a pure HT, I would still choose Genelec. BTW, I have not heard Dynaudio or JBL...

OOO CRT Blend powered OOO Blog
post #95 of 179 Old 01-30-2008, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmont View Post

These threads are so predictable. It is actually amusing in its consistency.

I know I am wasting my time with Cineramax, but one last question, do you respect the opinions of Anthony Grimani?

Coldmachine
Do you just enjoy sarcastic remarks or do you strongly dislike JBL?

It was a joke, hence the grins. I don't dislike or like any brand. I just preferred the Genelecs to the JBLs for my install.

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
post #96 of 179 Old 01-30-2008, 04:57 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

You say it is about taste I say it is about aversion to sadomasochism.

Peter,

For once I think you have it right. There must be a lot of masochists here as well as voyeurs of the bizarre. This would explain us reading your posts.
post #97 of 179 Old 01-30-2008, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antorsae View Post

coldmachine,

I have a pair of Sonus Faber boxed speaker (passive, boxed), and a 7.1 HT consisting of Genelecs 3 x AOW312 (plus other 4 for surrounds) and a Genelec HTS6 (for bass). Genelecs are active but still closed-box speakers.

If you are open to experimentation amd talking about bespoke, I have just made that journey, I auditioned the Orions and finally built them: http://www.linkwitzlab.com/orion_challenge.htm Amazing speakers. I would not put the Genelecs in my living room for aesthetics reasons, the Orions are not my cup of tea either but at least are tolerable in appearance...

BTW, the guy who designed the Orions is a reputable engineer who amongst other things co-designed the crossover that almost every passive speaker has today... he is not your typical quasi-scientific audiophile...

The Genelecs sure are butt ugly, thats for sure. I like that in a way.

Im already tentatively talking to someone on the bespoke front.

post #98 of 179 Old 01-30-2008, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLion View Post

Which Dynaudio would you recommend as substitute for a Genelec 1037C (12" bass - 5" mid - 1" treble, 180-120-120 Watt - street price ~$3500.- per piece - http://www.genelec.com/1037c/specs/)?

M2 - M3 - Air 20?

One really should try spring for the m3f or m3e the esotar non thx version, the m3f is using a compression driver made by Dynaudio (go figure- it must be a lensed dome)

But if you are not placing behind a screen the c3 do the job with an esotar and all.

The thought of the Air series always intrigued me a totally digital speaker with a 2 way digital feedback system on the eq settings.

That would be great for a roll your own Merdidian dts. Just plug 11 air spekers to the 6 xlr aes ebu digital out of the tact tcs and you are good to go. Unfortunately it does not work that way, you need to use their propietary pc interface. At least that is what Dynaudio Usa consumer told me.

post #99 of 179 Old 01-30-2008, 07:35 PM

I humbly suggest that you audition ATC active speakers, as well.

Regards,
Roger
post #100 of 179 Old 01-30-2008, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

ATC is very good, they had a huge pair at cedia.
post #101 of 179 Old 01-30-2008, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Which pair would that be Peter? Was it their new curved baffle model costing 60k or so?
I have a pair of ATC Anniversary 100 Active towers (they need a shorter name!) with C6 centre and active 50 surrounds and can vouch for them being world class (imho of course!)

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #102 of 179 Old 01-30-2008, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, even the blue ones kick ass.
post #103 of 179 Old 01-31-2008, 02:22 AM
Advanced Member

When it comes to ugglyness, there are a variety of speakers. Even my favorite coaxial speakers from Geithain are among those and are considered by some to have the lowest of all WAF. Here's another picture from them :

Point is, it's usually those companies, that know that the professional is indeed interested in the pure results/performance (and price), not the looks (and those huge units are usually not carried around that much, as the smaller units, so transportation feasability is only a small factor to the looks).

When you want controlled directivity for higher listening distances (wafeguides) or a point source like behavior (coax), there are not that many options to how you can build a speaker.

Over here in Europe Dynaudio is a very strong brand, as many people know Denmark is directly next to Germany. However, when looking at the important broadcast studios, hearing to talks among those that do listen to studio Monitors, those ones who have understood and left the path of passive high end speakers, I never hear Dynaudio. I only hear "Klein und Hummel" and "Genelec" and "Geithain", sometimes Mackie for the smaller budget. Anyone from Europe can say something about it, tell me I'm wrong (which I would not mind at all) ?

K+H example (notice the display says "FIR Controlled"
=======================================

Genelec
=======

Notice the similarities in looks....

Of course there are many alternatives, like ATC, KRK, Tannoy, etc, the list of broadcast grade monitors is endless. But once you understood that it's wise to go that route, I would also strongly suggest to ask some of the professionals in other forums as well. Professionals usually test the speakers in their own one studio, and blind A/B them....

Anything else is not a profound information and simply just a persons attitude.

PS: QQQ, love that word play

Cheers, Andreas
post #104 of 179 Old 01-31-2008, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post

When it comes to ugglyness, there are a variety of speakers. Even my favorite coaxial speakers from Geithain are among those and are considered by some to have the lowest of all WAF. Here's another picture from them :

Point is, it's usually those companies, that know that the professional is indeed interested in the pure results/performance (and price), not the looks (and those huge units are usually not carried around that much, as the smaller units, so transportation feasability is only a small factor to the looks).

When you want controlled directivity for higher listening distances (wafeguides) or a point source like behavior (coax), there are not that many options to how you can build a speaker.

Over here in Europe Dynaudio is a very strong brand, as many people know Denmark is directly next to Germany. However, when looking at the important broadcast studios, hearing to talks among those that do listen to studio Monitors, those ones who have understood and left the path of passive high end speakers, I never hear Dynaudio. I only hear "Klein und Hummel" and "Genelec" and "Geithain", sometimes Mackie for the smaller budget. Anyone from Europe can say something about it, tell me I'm wrong (which I would not mind at all) ?

K+H example (notice the display says "FIR Controlled"
=======================================

Genelec
=======

Notice the similarities in looks....

Of course there are many alternatives, like ATC, KRK, Tannoy, etc, the list of broadcast grade monitors is endless. But once you understood that it's wise to go that route, I would also strongly suggest to ask some of the professionals in other forums as well. Professionals usually test the speakers in their own one studio, and blind A/B them....

Anything else is not a profound information and simply just a persons attitude.

PS: QQQ, love that word play

You are not wrong at all. Others may try to nefariously convey that impression but they are delusional.

post #105 of 179 Old 01-31-2008, 03:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You guys just like those waveguide mid and highs because they look like a p_ssy and a butt. Talk about butt ugly.
post #106 of 179 Old 01-31-2008, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You guys just like those waveguide mid and highs because they look like a p_ssy and a butt. Talk about butt ugly.

Your insight is staggering. I assume it originates from having your c*ck stuck in one of your own modified blanking plates

post #107 of 179 Old 01-31-2008, 03:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Certainly not the .73 reduction one. Not even thin man can do that pinhole.
post #108 of 179 Old 01-31-2008, 04:14 AM
Advanced Member

Some like the look of a speaker, I the look of the frequency responce

O500C
======

Cheers, Andreas
post #109 of 179 Old 01-31-2008, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Will the geitiens play to 130db 2m etu 5.1?
post #110 of 179 Old 01-31-2008, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

I thought we were looking to create a convincing and exciting visual and audible experience, not showcase hardware.

A classic 2ch system is different, but that's not what the discussion here is about. You absolutely don't want the loudspeakers out in the room from an acoustic or visual standpoint... unless the selling point is more aesthetic than substance.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #111 of 179 Old 01-31-2008, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nothing wrong with a neat presentation under the hood. But in all seriosness if you guys actually prefer that Genelec mediocrity OVER THE CUSTOM Dyn Acoustic MUNRO STUFF, then I might as well just go get confessed cause the world is coming to an end.
post #112 of 179 Old 01-31-2008, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kudos to you - I think you captured the essence and initial design goals of Genelec and Klein+Hummel quite beautifully. I might add that JBL's and Klipsch's horn loaded designs obviously are optimized following the principles of deep throating. ()
post #113 of 179 Old 01-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Will the geitiens play to 130db 2m etu 5.1?

Ney, and I said that already one or two pages back in this thread, the way I interpretate your question, which is not totally specific to the signal. I'm sure they boost some scary short term peaks in that "reagion".

Typically Geithains or Klein und Hummel offer around "real" 112 to 121 db (100Hz to 6KHz), of course depending on frequency and signal measurement method (peak or long term or else). You are well aware that for these "extra SPLs" above 110db to 130db and especially below 50Hz one requires some substantial square-meters of driver/cone surface or stroke levels. Most of these fine studio manufacturer will offer true and very honest FR and SPL measurements on thier websides (as well as directivity) and you see how the SPL drops off with low frequency extension. However, for LFE it is recommended to use dedicated subs anyway. When it comes to the frequency range your Dynaudios will offer in your Evidence setup, I'm sure they (Geithains or Klein and Hummel or Genelec) have no problems to hold up that SPL level. And since the amps are controlling directly the chassis' feedback via the active design, the overall performance is probably still cleaner. However, that is my attitude and believe, as 130db can be risky to the ear, I won't try it, and I for the time being feel well and comfortable with clean THX reference levels. But pls feel free to squeeze 130db @ 20Hz out of your Evidence I'm sure you got that Dynaudio US service number at hand....

Quote:

then I might as well just go get confessed cause the world is coming to an end.

Pls, never make a promise that you will never fullfill

One word. Many people have tried studio grade monitors in rather clean room environments without any assistance, as said before. Do not wonder, if that does not work. Usually, if you shop ultra high gear, a Klein and Hummel O500C will set you back 12K$ or so (8,5K Euro) or a Geithain 901K at 8K$ (6K Euro) each you will ask the manufacturer to measure the boxes in for you and they offer such services (usually around 500 to 1K$ in Germany). Then these will amaze anyone.....

Nobody in here tells now anybody to buy those sort of high grade speakers. It's a path that could be yours after you have spend 10 years with high end shXX and promises. And Genelec, to come back to the orginal post will for sure not disappoint. They offer that unbelievable SPL and dynamics level. But also within these studio grade world, there is no best, some are simply better than others and it is again your choice

Cheers, Andreas
post #114 of 179 Old 01-31-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Nothing wrong with a neat presentation under the hood.

Peter, if you really believe that, I humbly suggest you re-visit the "small room setup" you showed us (Dynaudio BM12As) and do a little cable management.
That's all.

PS Anybody used Funktion One speakers in any of their setups? My best friend distributes them and he swears up and down for their sound quality... (http://www.funktion-one.com/products.htm)

Next projector will have LEDs, >=1080 res, >=10 bit color, >14bit CR, >9 bit ANSI CR, >=120Hz, >16ft.L on 12ft 2.35:1 screen, <$12bit price

My 1st line array design

My ongoing Line Array Design
post #115 of 179 Old 01-31-2008, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Yeah, even the blue ones kick ass.

Okay I'll bite, what are the blue ones?

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #116 of 179 Old 03-02-2008, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Funny detail: Some days after I started this thread Genelec changed their global website slogan from "Listen to fine details" to "30 Years of sustainable development" ( http://www.genelec.com/products/?c=Austria )

Guess somebody over there reads AVS after all

btw I am still recovering from an 7x1037C demo I witnessed last week in Salzburg. Probably the best sound coming from this city since Mozart Simply amazing.
post #117 of 179 Old 03-02-2008, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Funny detail: Some days after I started this thread Genelec changed their global website slogan from "Listen to fine details" to "30 Years of sustainable development" ( http://www.genelec.com/products/?c=Austria )

Guess somebody over there reads AVS after all

btw I am still recovering from an 7x1037C demo I witnessed last week in Salzburg. Probably the best sound coming from this city since Mozart Simply amazing.

Glad you liked them. I used a 324a based 7.1 system. Thats a couple of sizes up from the 1037s, and boy could they shout.

Are you going to settle on Genelec?

post #118 of 179 Old 03-03-2008, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine View Post

Glad you liked them. I used a 324a based 7.1 system. Thats a couple of sizes up from the 1037s, and boy could they shout.

Are you going to settle on Genelec?

At this point I am pretty sure I will not be able to resist them any longer

My upgrade path will be:

Step 1: Buy 4x 1037C - use them as fronts and back surround, temporarely keep using Klipsch KL650 as surrounds until the new and much larger dedicated room is finished.

Step 2: Buy 3x 1034B (or some successor if available at that point) as fronts - use my 4x 1037C as surrounds -> buy some additional SVS Ultra-13 (4-8 placed at wall midpoints and/or corners should do the trick - I prefer the low frequency extension compared to the HTS6)

Voila - 7 channels of full-active Genelec sound.
post #119 of 179 Old 03-03-2008, 02:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post

Okay I'll bite, what are the blue ones?

I WAS CONFUSING SPEAKER BRANDS WITH PMC.
post #120 of 179 Old 03-03-2008, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At this point I am pretty sure I will not be able to resist them any longer

My upgrade path will be:

Step 1: Buy 4x 1037C - use them as fronts and back surround, temporarely keep using Klipsch KL650 as surrounds until the new and much larger dedicated room is finished.

Step 2: Buy 3x 1034B (or some successor if available at that point) as fronts - use my 4x 1037C as surrounds -> buy some additional SVS Ultra-13 (4-8 placed at wall midpoints and/or corners should do the trick - I prefer the low frequency extension compared to the HTS6)

Voila - 7 channels of full-active Genelec sound.

Sounds cool. Couple of questions

How will you be mounting them?
Have you thought about some Lake processing?
Which PJ and screen will you be using?

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page