What Was The Largest Direct View CRT Ever Made? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
1  2  3
Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) > What Was The Largest Direct View CRT Ever Made?
FOH's Avatar FOH 09:18 AM 02-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshoe View Post

one of the best tvs I ever bought was the SONY 40xbr800 with matching stand. I have over 12 tvs from 55" led lcd to 50" plasma to 27" crts in my home. Its amazing how well this 40xbr800 picture is on standard cable. I know its not going anywhere and it takes up a large portion of the room in the corner but it is a one of the greatest tvs ever made.

You absolutely right,...this TV is phenomenal. It's image quality fed with a SDTV signal is something to behold. I really don't think I'll ever part with mine,..as they're really not worth much. However they're truly a statement product of an entirely mature technology, and Sony, pouring all they had into this monster. I can't overstate the quality of the audio/speakers. For a significant period of time, I had a Velodyne 15" sub carrying the lows, and the Sony built in's, of the 40XBR800 covering the top, and it was quite impressive.

Yes, the front glass is a piece of work, and at a few inches thick, it renders the set very awkward. It doesn't get much use these days, but I'll never sell it. We enjoy Wii sports, tennis, bowling etc, Guitar Hero on the thing.

Anyone familar with the inside story/back-story on this TV?

Thank you

wxthomson's Avatar wxthomson 02:28 PM 02-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

You absolutely right,...this TV is phenomenal. It's image quality fed with a SDTV signal is something to behold. I really don't think I'll ever part with mine,..as they're really not worth much. However they're truly a statement product of an entirely mature technology, and Sony, pouring all they had into this monster. I can't overstate the quality of the audio/speakers. For a significant period of time, I had a Velodyne 15" sub carrying the lows, and the Sony built in's, of the 40XBR800 covering the top, and it was quite impressive.

Yes, the front glass is a piece of work, and at a few inches thick, it renders the set very awkward. It doesn't get much use these days, but I'll never sell it. We enjoy Wii sports, tennis, bowling etc, Guitar Hero on the thing.

Thank you

I still have mine as well. Still has an absolutely beautiful picture. The only down side is it weighs 300 lbs. I had to hire a couple of twenty-somethings to haul it downstairs.
isamu's Avatar isamu 02:26 AM 02-21-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxthomson View Post

I still have mine as well. Still has an absolutely beautiful picture. The only down side is it weighs 300 lbs. I had to hire a couple of twenty-somethings to haul it downstairs.

Wouldn't another downside be the 4:3 AR?
wxthomson's Avatar wxthomson 10:04 AM 02-21-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu View Post

Wouldn't another downside be the 4:3 AR?

Well, sure. It doesn't have 3D either!
I believe we were discussing the technology of its era.
Axatax's Avatar Axatax 06:02 PM 02-27-2012
Toshiba made a ~110" direct-view CRT display.

I cannot find any current references, and I have no idea if this was ever a viable/marketed product - but I remember seeing the "naked" tube (without cabinet) demo'd on some Discovery show.

The show had a brief clip of a Japanese engineer tweaking the neck magnetics while standing on scaffolding positioned over the CRT.
Bigus's Avatar Bigus 10:21 PM 02-28-2012
Now that's big.
m. zillch's Avatar m. zillch 11:19 PM 02-28-2012
110 in CRT?! More than double the size of any documented CRT (with substantiating links), in this thread?! I'm sorry, but I think you are mistaken or misinterpreted what you saw.

This, for instance, is not a 61" direct view CRT television, but the ignorant copywriter has done an excellent job instilling such a belief in many who would examine this link and don't know better:

http://www.shopping.com/Toshiba-61A61/info

, so too can Discovery TV shows.

You may very well have seen an image that appeared to be a large CRT and an announcer say that it was ~110 inches, but that's simply beyond belief.

If Toshiba ever had anything even remotely resembling a functioning CRT of this size, even if it never came to market, they'd know about it and would brag about it here:

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/worldwide/about/history.html
Bigus's Avatar Bigus 10:49 AM 02-29-2012
110 probably refers to some Toshiba tubes being 110° instead of 90°.
FOH's Avatar FOH 05:27 PM 02-29-2012
110" would be significantly over quadruple size.
longtimelurker's Avatar longtimelurker 06:28 PM 02-29-2012
there was in fact a 110" CRT...instead of glass they used transparent aluminum. the guy became rich beyond the dreams of avarice.
Glimmie's Avatar Glimmie 08:02 PM 02-29-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimelurker View Post

there was in fact a 110" CRT...instead of glass they used transparent aluminum. the guy became rich beyond the dreams of avarice.

Did it have anything to do with starships and whales?
Glimmie's Avatar Glimmie 08:04 PM 02-29-2012
I'm kinda late to this thread but how about the Mitsubishi 40" in 1993? I didn't own one but installed one in a new "all digital" edit bay above the reference 19in monitor.

Lots of oooss and ahhhs in those days!
Axatax's Avatar Axatax 01:29 AM 03-01-2012
ED: Double.
Axatax's Avatar Axatax 01:31 AM 03-01-2012
Quote:

110 in CRT?! More than double the size of any documented CRT (with substantiating links), in this thread?! I'm sorry, but I think you are mistaken or misinterpreted what you saw.

Nope... This was a glass tube large enough that it would extend just to the second story in the average American single-family house.

While I cannot provide any proof of this (and I thought I provided adequate "disclaimers" to my statement), it's certainly within the realm of possibility as a one-off research project or a prototype that garnered a "footnote" on a science/technology show. Obviously this was not a mass-marketed product.

The glass would obviously be the tough part but certainly not impossible.

There are glass mirrors and lenses the size of school buses with surface precision in the micron range used in astronomy and large lasers, also most likely one off-items backed by mega budgets and appropriate R&D. Certainly not out of the reach of a Japanese megacorp.

This was probably around the '97/98 time frame.
m. zillch's Avatar m. zillch 11:26 AM 03-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axatax View Post

While I cannot provide any proof of this...

No need. The people who believe you believe you, and don't need a substantiating link for verification, whereas the ones that think you and/or the TV show you were watching were simply in error, I doubt will be swayed by repetitions of "It's conceivable; glass things can get really big/I'm dead sure and incapable of error/Trust me..." etc. [I'm paraphrasing]
longtimelurker's Avatar longtimelurker 03:13 PM 03-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

No need. The people who believe you believe you, and don't need a substantiating link for verification, whereas the ones that think you and/or the TV show you were watching were simply in error, I doubt will be swayed by repetitions of "It's conceivable; glass things can get really big/I'm dead sure and incapable of error/Trust me..." etc. [I'm paraphrasing]

no, its not conceivable...

a 110" crt is ~5810 sq inchs

Pa = 14lb/sq in

= ~40 tons of pressure JUST on the glass making up the picture area of the tube.

the ~40" crt that we do know existed (and is really agreed upon as the largest anyone has ever seen, read about, heard of, etc would have 5 tons of Pa on its viewing surface as a comparison.

EDIT: physics nits, i know the vacuum in the CRT is not perfect....just assumed so for quick calcs.
we should just start using structural glass to build buildings!
m. zillch's Avatar m. zillch 03:23 PM 03-01-2012
But what makes you think it was made of glass? Maybe Toshiba invented some special, super double secret material they also don't disclose in their timeline history I linked to.
FOH's Avatar FOH 05:34 PM 03-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

But what makes you think it was made of glass? Maybe Toshiba invented some special, super double secret material they also don't disclose in their timeline history I linked to.

Very astute point, ... as evidenced by Toshiba's securing the patent/design of bi-wiring

those tricksters...
m. zillch's Avatar m. zillch 06:32 PM 03-01-2012
That (their "invention" of bi-wiring) I can see them wanting to keep secret actually, considering it's a completely worthless thing, except to the retailers of wire who double their profits by having their customers bi into that myth, of course. *CHA-CHING*! [OK, bad pun.]
AV Science Sales 3's Avatar AV Science Sales 3 02:25 PM 03-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Thank you

The place I worked before here we sold those. I had the fun of delivering and setting up many. Total nightmare. I would rather have done a 60" projection set than that. It was similar weight, but with a projection you have more to grab and thus can have more help. With the 40"...2 max...nightmare, especially on stairs.
CiaranAnthony's Avatar CiaranAnthony 03:38 PM 03-16-2012
Yup, still have my Sony 40XBR800. I bought it in the summer of 1999. Probably going to migrate it to the basement in the next few months. Personally, I'd love to get rid of it, but I have no idea what to do with it!
1  2  3

Up
Mobile  Desktop