speaker wiring question.. negative/positive.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2008, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this is a goofy question.. but.. if you hook positive to the negative terminal of a speaker from the receiver.. does it matter? IE: i had wiring run through the walls of my room.. i snipped the wires off and forgot to label the pos from the negative.. which i started from my receiver..

Now i have no idea which is neg. which is pos..

It seems to work either way.. is reverse wiring implying i have reverse phase.. if so.. what exactly does that mean

Can i do any damage to either end?

Is there some way to tell which is which, coming from the receiver?

Thanks in advance..

Tech, the Universe, and Everything:  http://tech-stew.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2008, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

The speaker won't sound right. All wire is marked. Pull the receiver out and look to see where + or - are hooked up on that speaker, note the marking on the wire there, put the receiver back and hook up the speaker the same.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb53 View Post

The speaker won't sound right. All wire is marked. Pull the receiver out and look to see where + or - are hooked up on that speaker, note the marking on the wire there, put the receiver back and hook up the speaker the same.

Pulling it probably wont help much.. as i have wire going from the receiver to a wall panel.. then behind the wall panel.. in the wall.. in a very hard to access area.. the wire goes from there to the speakers..

I guess there is no way to put a device on each end to determine which connector (strand) is which.. then label? ie: say a battery on one end.. voltmeter on the other maybe?

Old 03-04-2008, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

The battery on one end and the volt meter on the other will work. Just make sure that NOTHING is hooked up to it when you do it. It really doesn't matter the polarity of the wire as long as you hook up the correct terminal of your receiver to the correct terminal of your speaker (hot to hot cold to cold) if the (-) wire is connecting the hot terminals that's fine. If you end up hooking your speaker up backwards you are basically inverting the phase of the sound wave so it will be 180 degrees off (speaker moves "in" when it should move "out").
Old 03-04-2008, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdee View Post

The battery on one end and the volt meter on the other will work. Just make sure that NOTHING is hooked up to it when you do it. It really doesn't matter the polarity of the wire as long as you hook up the correct terminal of your receiver to the correct terminal of your speaker (hot to hot cold to cold) if the (-) wire is connecting the hot terminals that's fine. If you end up hooking your speaker up backwards you are basically inverting the phase of the sound wave so it will be 180 degrees off (speaker moves "in" when it should move "out").

Ah cool ok.. so ill disconnect all my speakers and the wires from the back of the receiver and use a 9 volt.. one pair at a time.. check voltage on other end.. if i end up with a negative reading.. i know its reversed i guess..

Thanks for the input.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

actually.. without using a battery.. wouldnt having the other end into the receiver and the other end at the speaker on a voltmeter still register a reading..

Old 03-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

yes, there will be reading, but no, it won't be of any use.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Change the positive to negative and the negative to positive and YOU WILL HAVE LIFE.................muu ha ha ha life I tell you LIFE.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If it's connected to a DVD player and you have a THX DVD, there is a phase test on the THX Optimizer that you could run. That might be a fairly simple solution.

There's nothing to see here.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unavol View Post

If it's connected to a DVD player and you have a THX DVD, there is a phase test on the THX Optimizer that you could run. That might be a fairly simple solution.

Well.. its connected to spdif from my pc dvd so i guess that may work.. ill have to see if i have the test thx thing.. i think toy story used to have it.. not sure if it did phase testing though.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm75 View Post

Well.. its connected to spdif from my pc dvd so i guess that may work.. ill have to see if i have the test thx thing.. i think toy story used to have it.. not sure if it did phase testing though.

I've seen it on the Star Wars DVDs. I think any THX DVD would have it though. You just have to go through the entire audio portion of the THX optimizer thing. Good luck.

There's nothing to see here.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
So the wire is neither color coded or ribbed and no markings on one side of the wire.
A muti-meter will help you find the right wire with a continuity test also if you hook
the speakers up wrong they will be out of phase makes for terrible surround.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

So the wire is neither color coded or ribbed and no markings on one side of the wire.
A muti-meter will help you find the right wire with a continuity test also if you hook
the speakers up wrong they will be out of phase makes for terrible surround.

Yeah markings and ribbed arent an option.. i mean.. there are no markings.. and ribbed wise wont help, as i have 2 sets of wires going into an interface.. no guarantees the ribbing is the same both ways.

So it seems i should do the battery test or the thx..

battery will be tedious but effective.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:25 PM

Like oztech said. Borrow a multimeter from someone, or buy a cheap one in home depot. Take one of the speaker wires in question , attach it to another wire and run it to to the other end of the speaker wire. Take your multimeter and set it to test continuity. Put one probe on the wire you just brought over from the receiver, and put the other probe on one of the other speaker wires. If it lights up, you got the right wire.

User Tag List