Boston Acoustics T1000's??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-15-2008, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is a set of Boston Accoustics T1000's that have new surrounds locally for $200 for the pair. I'm interested in picking them up to supplant the cheapie Aura Bookshelfs I use on my Analog/Turntable (Technics SL-D30, Onkyo Tx-sr545, Audio Control EQ) setup. I've read alot of good things about Boston speakers, but I've never owned, or even listened to a set. How do these speakers stack up, and more importantly, is this a gppd buy for these speakers considering they are in very good physical shape, no tears, sratches or marks.

Basically, I'm a broke college kid that needs a little convincing to pull the trigger on this buy. Any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-15-2008, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If you're broke, then I wouldn't spend money I don't have.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-15-2008, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Pardon me for not being clearer, I'm 'broke' in the sense that funds are limited, And I cant afford to spend willy nilly. If these speakers are good quality, and are a good deal, I'll manage to get by without the $200
post #4 of 6 Old 04-14-2008, 08:12 AM

Those speakers are absolutely outstanding. You will not regret buying them, especially at that price. I am looking at a set now for twice that much with shipping. The mids and highs are incredible and the bass with the two 8" subs per speaker is extremely tight and will blow you away. I auditioned them (T1020's) before I bought my Boston T930IIs 15 years ago. I would have bought the T1020s, but they were out of my budget at the time (I think around $800 a pair back then). The T930's are also exceptional, btw, which is why I have never replaced them. To date, there are only a few speakers I have ever heard that sound better than the T1020s (which are basically the same as the T1000s). All of them were 2 to 10 times the price.

One thing to keep in mind is that those speakers are about ten times better than the Onkyo you would hook them to. I have an Onkyo DS595 I use for HT. I also have an early 1990's vintage Nakamichi AV2 I use for my 2 channel listening. I can't over-emphasize the night and day difference between the two amps and the same Boston T930IIs I have when it comes to music reproduction. You won't be able to experience half of what those speakers are capable of unless you get a better amp. You might buy the speakers now and start shopping for an amp you can afford. 1990s Nak stuff is great, and I have seen it pretty cheap at times on ebay. There is a lot of other good stuff out there too.

One other thing I should mention is that Boston speakers need to have the foam surrounds replaced every 15 years or so. Mine are still fine, but I am expecting to have to do that job at some point. You might ask if these have ever had that done.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-14-2008, 08:15 AM

Instead of a Boston Acoustics T-1000, I would get a Cyberdyne Systems T-1000. Much, much cooler.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-14-2008, 01:19 PM

Yes. They are great speakers. I've got a pair of T1030s that I just replaced. Still love them and hate to sell them.

It took me years to find some speakers that were worth replacing them. The stickler was the center which was small. The towers themselves are great.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page