Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-12-2001, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was at a local hi-end dealer this morn and saw the relatively new Ultimate outlet, the 15 amp model. They said a 20 amp model was out too. The one they had in stock was waiting to be picked up, sold... For the $299 askng price I would of brought it home! I said I'd take one when they got them back in. I want one for my big pfat Rotel amp. I also asked them to enquire about one with a 100 volt outlet for my Japanese LD player, so I may get two. Anybody got one yet? Many thanks for anybody willing and able to testify!

------------------

Rachael,la gata del disco Grande, meow meow!

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-12-2001, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Get the 20 amp model for your amplifier, not the 15 amp model. The 20 amp reportedly sounds better with no current limiting. The 20 amp has two twists of the cable around the toriod for better RFI rejection, as the 15 amp only has one twist. The 20 amp has twice the copper for the higher power components. I haven't demod it yet, but this info is from the PS Audio forum. And frankly, instead of trying the Ultimate OUtlet so far, which is an extra set of connections which by itself I may wonder may limit current a bit, I am using Granite Audio 10 guage power cords which have toroids built in at both ends of the cord for the same high frequency noise filtering which is now in the Ultimate Outlet. Now, the Ultimate Outlet I believe has other technology to reduce impedance problems, which the Granite Audio power cords don't have, but I'm not concerned about that in my system as I use Bybee devices internal to my components' power supplies which do this as well.

------------------
Steve Bruzonsky

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #3 of 8 Old 05-12-2001, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have two 20 amps and one 15 amp ultimate outlet. They do seem to help in my system with the power issues. Also, I would do the 20 for the amps you have and maybe put the 15 on some other gear. If they don't work out, you can send them back 30 day (if bought direct, not sure about through the dealer). For me, I do like them and will most likly get another to augment the projector power cables I'm using now.

Regards,

Jeff

------------------
Come visit our new theater site at: www.AudioVideoForum.com

Regards,

Jeff
post #4 of 8 Old 05-12-2001, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Steve and Jeff! The dealer told me the 15 amp model was big enough for my Rotel 993. My other two amps don't draw near as much current. The 15 amp model was priced $299. How much is the 20 amp model? I use an old Kenwood Basic M2 for the main surround channels, it just won't die... If I had the 20 amp model could I run both off it? I bet the Kenwood draws about 30% of what the Rotel draws. I'm more than certain the 15 amp mode would be hunky dory for my LD player. I hope they'll put 100 volt outlets on it.

Jeff, it been quite awhile since I was on their site... They sell direct, eh. I'm gonna go look at their page. Thanks guys!

------------------

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #5 of 8 Old 05-12-2001, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The 20 amp version is $399 retail - and you don't want to get the 15 amp for a high power amplifier, no way anything less than the 20 amp version.

Dealers also have the thirty day money back guarentee, such as Audionut on the web and others.

------------------
Steve Bruzonsky

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #6 of 8 Old 05-13-2001, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Steve! I'm going to aqquire a 20 amp model just for my Rotel. I'm toying with the idea of putting them on all my outlets, which is apparently (?), what Jeff has done. Before I install it in my system, I'm going to give it a real test. In my studio, I have an outlet that is so dirty that it puts humbars on the pic of my video camera. If this thing is as good as they say, it should eliminate the bars. Best wishes!

------------------

post #7 of 8 Old 05-14-2001, 09:39 AM
PF
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I was disappointed to find when we opened it up that the unit didn't have hospital grade outlets for the money, but a friend who bought one swears by it, nonetheless.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-14-2001, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

PF, thanks for the feedback! With the 30 day trial, I'm gonna give it a try, why not? Best wishes!

------------------

Closed Thread Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page