Do you guys/gals have other expensive hobbies? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2001, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there, fellows!

I'd like to share with you this (IMHO) provocative post/thread initiated by fellow Sub-Dude (ie. D.J. Tillotson) at sister site Digital Theater (Audio Components forum).

I believe this post raises a quite provocative issue: Are there "other" lives to live outside our A/V room´s walls for us, home theater buffs?

I'm reposting the original post as well as the associated thread. I hope you enjoy it and make it grow with your own contributions! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif (Note: I also hope this re-posting is not thought as foul "plagiarism" by any of the AVS/DT moderators http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ).

Here I go with my other hobbies:

1. Astronomy (Celestron 14" Schmidt-Cassegrain-type telescope).

2. Triathlon Bicycles (Campagnolo and Legnano triathlon bicycles).

3. Target Archery (Hoyt "ProTec" target bow)

4. Gourmet cuisine (both as a cook and as an "eater"). Very specially, Basque Country cuisine. Note: some
interesting places on Basque cuisine follow:

http://www.bizkaia.net/bizkaia/Engli...e/In_COCIN.HTM
http://www.buber.net/Basque/Food/Recipes/
http://www.basquecountry-tourism.com/
http://saveurs.sympatico.ca/ency_9/france/basque.htm
http://www.deia.com/Gurea/Receta.htm
http://www.paisvasco.net/recetas/
http://teleline.terra.es/personal/aiolozil/home.htm

Keep this provocative thread growing! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

J.V.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

****ORIGINAL POST/THREAD AT DIGITAL THEATER****

DT Forum Audio Components Do you guys/gals have other expensive hobbies?

Author: sub-dude

Topic: Do you guys/gals have other expensive hobbies?

Number of Posts: 81
Atlanta,GA
Date Posted: May 09, 2001 8:18 PM

Just curious if you guys/gals like to spend cash on other expensive hobbies do you eat Ramen noodles and listen to Grand Kharmas?

For example, I race road bikes and this is more expensive than Audio usually. I like new computer gadgets.

etc...

Now your turn.

Notify Moderator
Jerry Pease
Number of Posts: 250
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Date Posted: May 09, 2001 8:22 PM

HT and PC's consume my piggy bank

JP-in-TPA

Notify Moderator
Dario
Number of Posts: 444
Portland, Oregon
Date Posted: May 09, 2001 8:24 PM

Wine is my other passion. Could have a great h/t were it not for wine, or a nicer wine cellar were it not for h/t.

David

Notify Moderator
hylton
Number of Posts: 484
Roanoke, VA
Date Posted: May 09, 2001 8:45 PM

I too have tons of computer crap...I actually need to unload some in order to buy new speakers...no matter how cool computer nerd stuff gets...I'll still keep my focus on HT toys...but 'puters are my job, so I have to stay up to date...more mandatory than a hobby I guess...

Chris

hylton
(The Crayon Bandit)

Notify Moderator
Dean Roddey
Number of Posts: 2021
Mountain View, CA, USA
Date Posted: May 09, 2001 8:52 PM

Hobbies aren't worth having unless they are expensive, right?

My other 'hobbie', which is really my job, is software development. So I have more computing power in my
bedroom than many small countries :-) I'm trying to mix business and pleasure by developing home theater
related software.

I also like cars, but so far have only worked my way up to a 3000GT SL. I'm saving the Ferarri for after I
sell my software. Actually, if it weren't for the HT and computers and development tools, I probably *could* have a Ferarri right now, or at least an NSX-T or Porche :-)

Dean Roddey
Charmed Quark Software
droddey@charmedquark.com
Charmed Quark Home Page

Notify Moderator
Steve Dodds
Number of Posts: 1038
New Zealand, then Australia,
now San Francisco
Date Posted: May 09, 2001 11:23 PM

I have an E-Type Jaguar back in Australia. The money I spend here on HT would normally go into its black hole.

Steve

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1638044&f=0

Notify Moderator
luvthetunes
Number of Posts: 17
Colorado Springs, CO united
states
Date Posted: May 10, 2001 6:10 AM

Of course:

1.Car stereo competition, which I have down graded in since I got my HT

2. Flyfishing this may not sound expensive but I have so far close to 2000.00 in just three rods and two reels. that does not include the spare spools and the line that fills all of those. or the tools and materials for tying all of my own flies. oh yea and waders, vest and other assorted goods that make the day on the river worthwhile. But like HT it is so relaxing that it is worth every penny.

G.M. III
My Theater

Notify Moderator
joe_dejesus
Number of Posts: 39
Miami, FL
Date Posted: May 11, 2001 11:52 AM

Drag Racing 1/4 mile car... 1100hp twin turbo mustang coupe... Stroked and Bored to 347ci.. Believe it or not, street driven to work (4 miles away) No Radio,No power steering,no Ac, No power brakes.. BUT it is Fun to drive

For street duty, Parachute is removed and street rims/tires are put on... 315/35/17 drag radial DOT's for rear... 235/45/17 fronts...

Joe

*This Message was edited on 11-May-01 11:56 AM by joe_dejesus*

Notify Moderator
migliore
Number of Posts: 940
Northern Colorado
Date Posted: May 11, 2001 12:09 PM

Hard-core off-roading.. http://www.pobox.com/~jeep

No good trail pix up yet, only Jeep pix. I've prolly spent about 1/3 of my audio/ht habits $'s in it.

Rob

---
My System and Product Reviews
"The idea of 5 channel music is, at best, goofy."

Notify Moderator
Dean Roddey
Mountain View, CA, USA
Date Posted: May 11, 2001 1:47 PM

Hennesy now has a Viper upgrade to take it up to 1001HP. Not sure what the torque is but I think its upwards of 900ft/lbs or so. Should be pretty frightening.

Dean Roddey
Charmed Quark Software
droddey@charmedquark.com
Charmed Quark Home Page

Notify Moderator
ABCIII
Number of Posts: 657
The Moon (The One That
Belongs To Earth)
Date Posted: May 11, 2001 4:12 PM

Workout religiously as if I'm training for the Olympics, or something like that. It is an obsession.

Also, follow the Yankees. Living in IL for the last 8 years, I got a DSS when they first came out in 1994 or so just to be able to buy the baseball package to see the Yankees at least four or five times a week.

Neither of these are expensive.

Notify Moderator
Dean Roddey
Mountain View, CA, USA
Date Posted: May 11, 2001 5:36 PM

Well, if you are looking around for a good cheap hobby, working out is one of the better ones you can choose I guess (as apposed to software, which is expensive *and* turns you into a photophobic vegetable :-)

*This Message was edited on 11-May-01 05:37 PM by Dean Roddey*

Dean Roddey
Charmed Quark Software
droddey@charmedquark.com
Charmed Quark Home Page

Notify Moderator
Nosamk
Number of Posts: 69
Winston-Salem, NC
Date Posted: May 11, 2001 6:26 PM

cars [see my website]

HT [obviously]

computers

pocket knives

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Webpage

Notify Moderator
owkone
Number of Posts: 227

Date Posted: May 12, 2001 6:16 AM

Flying. DO not own a plane yet but very soon I hope...The maket turn down last year put a big delay.

Notify Moderator
rss
Number of Posts: 31
NYC,USA
Date Posted: May 12, 2001 6:51 AM

Did somebody say F O R E!!! Golf is my poison if not HT. I must say most of my upgrades are in the fall/winter when things are frigid in the NYC area.

rob

Notify Moderator
Mr.Burke
Number of Posts: 92
Dublin, Ohio
Date Posted: May 12, 2001 8:46 AM

Does my fiance' count as a hobby? "I want to go to Aruba..I want to go to Hawaii..." FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!

Dean, I like your thinking!!!!Before I left Boston I went to this place F1-Boston where you can race these incredible go-karts! You can hit several G's in the corners and go about 35mph on a tight track! THE most fun I have had in the longest time! www.f1boston.com is their website check it out! I am looking to join some sort of league out here in Ohio but can not find one. If I was still in the Boston area my funds would be going there! Just test drove the 2001 Acura 3.2 CL S Type 260HP w/5 spd sequential sport shift and
this will be the closest I get to that 360Modena F1!

Notify Moderator
Blaine
Number of Posts: 208
Evanston IL
Date Posted: May 12, 2001 2:05 PM

I'm with Dario - wine is one of my other costly hobbies. I just built a 1,000 bottle cellar to hold all of my
stash, but it's not full yet The nice thing about wine is that when you are short on cash, you can still continue to enjoy and live off of your cellar, which is mostly what I've been doing lately.

Also, food and restaurants. I'm a hedonist.

And count me in with the other car lovers. This hobby is sort of in hibernation right now but as soon as I can I am going to get a mid 90's Porsche 911, re-join the local Porsche Club of America (PCA) and get on a track. As I remember the Chicago PCA gets track time up at Road America. I just need to be able to afford the tires.......

Notify Moderator
Dario
Number of Posts: 444
Portland, Oregon
Date Posted: May 12, 2001 3:58 PM

Great to have a fellow wine lover here. I hear you about the having a stash. My buying is way down over the past few months, and it's given me an excuse to go drink all that stuff that's not getting better. I had a LOT more red Zin than I needed. My wife and I have whittled it down to a couple of cases, so it'll be gone soon.

Probably should have said that I am also into food. Gourmet cooking is a hobby, but I haven't practiced in a while due to time constraints.

David

Notify Moderator
Dean Roddey
Mountain View, CA, USA
Date Posted: May 12, 2001 5:11 PM

Same with me on the cooking. Its kind of sad given that I'm pretty good. But I have neither the time, nor the significant other to cook for either. There's nothing more time wasting and depressing than cooking a killer meal, and doing a nice presentation, for yourself. And it also leads to a bit of bloat that I don't need any more help on.

Dean Roddey
Charmed Quark Software
droddey@charmedquark.com
Charmed Quark Home Page

Notify Moderator
Peter M
Number of Posts: 197
Australian in Singapore
Date Posted: May 12, 2001 11:55 PM

Educating my kids.

Peter M
IMHO
AFAIK
YMMV
WGAFAWITA
Notify Moderator
mcsherman
Number of Posts: 50

Date Posted: May 14, 2001 7:11 AM

Mountain Bikes, Stunt Kites, Drums,Photography, Paint Ball, And Wine. I dont have a cellar (live in a condo) but a good selection.

Mark C Sherman
TAG McLaren Audio

Notify Moderator
GoldenGloves
Number of Posts: 141
Canada

Date Posted: May 14, 2001 7:22 AM

Of my 3 HT seems the cheapest but also the hardest to get to because of all my other hobbies.

I play competivie paintball and look silly but considering the travel, my 3-4K worth of Gear that gets upgraded more often than Ricki and his audio system and the fact I shoot about $100 worth of paintballs every week. It sets me back.

Then there is travel Ouch spent the farm on that this year Love going on adventure trips.

However next year is the HT year I'm focussing my reasources..LOL

Notify Moderator
J.V. Gomez
Number of Posts: 180
Punto Fijo, Falcon, Venezuela

Date Posted: May 14, 2001 8:41 AM

Hi there, Sub-Dude!

First of all, I'd like to share that I believe this post of you, as well a s the associated thread, raises a quite
provocative issue: Are there "other" lives to live outside our A/V room´s walls for us, home theater buffs?

In fact, I like this post/thread so much, that I am thinking about re-posting it at the AVS forum on your behalf, of course (I hope you don't think of this as any foul "plagiarism").

...Other hobbies to enjoy? Yes, sure, you bet!!! Here I go with my other hobbies:

1. Astronomy (Celestron 14" Schmidt-Cassegrain-type telescope).

2. Triathlon Bicycles (Campagnolo and Legnano triathlon bicycles).

3. Target Archery (Hoyt "ProTec" target bow)

4. Gourmet cuisine (both as a cook and as an "eater"). Very specially, Basque Country cuisine. Note: some interesting places on Basque cuisine follow:

http://www.bizkaia.net/bizkaia/Engli...e/In_COCIN.HTM
http://www.buber.net/Basque/Food/Recipes/
http://www.basquecountry-tourism.com/
http://saveurs.sympatico.ca/ency_9/france/basque.htm
http://www.deia.com/Gurea/Receta.htm
http://www.paisvasco.net/recetas/
http://teleline.terra.es/personal/aiolozil/home.htm

Keep this provocative thread growing!

J.V.

*This Message was edited on 14-May-01 08:43 AM by J.V. Gomez*

****END OF THREAD****
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2001, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

This is a very good question. If you follow this and other HT forums, you would think that all we do is sit around and watch TV. Or, tweak our HT setups, or go to stereo stores and listen to new stuff, or ... The truth is, I do a lot of other things. Some of which are cheap, and others expensive. Here are some of my favorites.

Bicycling.
I have a Trek hybrid and ride the many bike trails in the DC area.

Off Road.
I go to the Virginia end of Assateague Island a few times a year and have my "Off Road" permit. This allows me access to the O/R area of the beach. They also have walking/biking trails and lots of other things to do.

Cars.
I have always enjoyed a fun sports car and just recently bought a Toyota MR2 Spyder. Not high performance, but a really fun to drive. In the past I have owned Porches, Austin Mini's and Triumphs. So, with a 4x4, a sports car and a normal car (97 T-Bird), this can get expensive.

Motorcycles.
I don't currently own one, just sold my last one about 2 years ago after owning them since 1967. Have been to the dealer twice in the last month, and the weather just turned warm, so who knows. Would be more likely if I hadn't just bought the MR2.

Pets.
Just got a new puppy 2 months ago. Am going through the puppy training and plan on going all the way through the advanced agility training. This is time consuming, but lots of fun.

I forgot a major time consumer!!

Home renovation.

I have been working on my house for over 15 years now. Since I bought it 20 years ago I have added a second story, redone all the old windows, remodeled the old bathroom at least twice. last year I redid my entire kitchen from the floor up.

If I just didn't need a job (Network Engineering and System Management) to pay for all this stuff life would be very good. Not enough time in the week to get to all things.

I know that people think us computer/TV nerds don't do other things, but I can see by the first message that isn't the case.

------------------
Dave B.
ODAT

[This message has been edited by dmbatch (edited 05-15-2001).]

Dave B.
Old 05-15-2001, 11:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I also race road bicycles, and have thirteen state championship medals as well as four silver medals from the World Senior Games. I race road on either a Campy Record-10 equipped custom-built Merlin Extralight, or a Campy Record-10 Torelli Spada, with a Basso funny bike or an Airborne Spectre TT bike (Campy Record-10) for time trials. (The CEO of Airborne Direct has Triad Speakers in his house...) Including all the Zipp 404 and 303 wheels and collateral crap, there's around $30,000 worth of bike stuff crammed into the garage...next to the modified 12-second 2000 Corvette M6 Coupe...http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Expensive hobbies?? Naw...

Charlie Wood is an avid photographer (large and medium format), Richard Vandersteen likes boosted Vipers, and I'm sure we have a few pilots or skiers here...???

Paul Scarpelli
Director of Sales & Marketing, Triad Speakers, Inc.

------------------
Paul Scarpelli
Director of Sales & Marketing, Triad Speakers, Inc.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Old 05-15-2001, 12:43 PM
MAB
AVS Special Member

Flying single engine aircraft for me.

MAB
Old 05-15-2001, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 321
My other major vice does in fact lie in downhill skiing, where trip expenses and lift tickets quickly overshadow those new boots I bought last season.

Of course for the summertime there's also golfing when I can make the time.

Those do a pretty good job of using up the rest of my modest amount of disposable income. If not, all the things I like to pick up for new speaker designs and subwoofers combine with what started out as a modest sound system in my car (now has dual 15" subs with 750W just for bass-modest?).

At least it serves as good motivation to wake up for work each day.

Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
Old 05-15-2001, 02:08 PM

Good point to extra activities besides A/V.

I race road bikes as well. 2 custom made Harry Havnoonians w/Sachs and Campy. Throw in the all the accessories and it gets expensive.

Clothing .. which includes shoes. All my suits are made to measure. Shirts are custom made. Shoes ... I may have more than some women !! Just simply love clothes ! And you know this runs alot.

Eyeglasses ! Love funky style glasses. Have 3 pairs of Theo's (Belgium Co.) 2 pairs of Oliver Peoples. Frames alone run $300. Buy a new pair a year.

Basketball! Can't give it up for this is how I got to College.

Cooking !! Do alittle catering on the side.

DIY home renovator.

Computer consultant! Have on side small business writing Foxpro applications for small companies.

Motorcylces! I don't own one yet, but have put money down on a BMW for the past 5 years on my birthday and then changed my mind. Boy to I want to BMW R1100rs.

later .... ohricky!

Old 05-15-2001, 04:14 PM

Hey,

Oh yeah, I thought this hobby was expensive until I bought a BMW m5. Let me tell ya, HT is nothing compared to changing a car. I can't complain, it's got an incredible 500 hp and 430 ft lbs of torque. send me an email at theater_man@hotmail if you want to see some pics...

Eric

Oh, that a mans reach should exceed his grasp...