Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 146 Old 04-03-2008, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here goes,RB-61's,RS-42's,and RC-52.
all i have room for,and can afford.
have all bose now xcept for sub,10''velodyne.only thing worth keeping.
possibly keep my 301's for zone 2 duties.
but i digress,this is my(i listen to everything in this room)room.
these speakers are all on sale and don't see how i can pass 'em up?
these will be the last i buy for sometime and woulld like an objective opinion on this matter.
good or bad!
Onkyo 605,ps3.HD everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 146 Old 04-03-2008, 07:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodmeister View Post

these will be the last i buy for sometime and woulld like an objective opinion on this matter.
good or bad!

First of all, you won't find *any* objective opinions on this forum. In fact, I think "objective opinion" is an oxymoron.

What you will get is lots of subjective opinions. You'll find lots of people who love these speakers and think they're a great value, and lots of people who hate these speakers and wouldn't take them if you gave them to them.

However, if you personally listened to the speakers, and liked (loved) them, then why do you care what a bunch of strangers on the internet think?

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #3 of 146 Old 04-03-2008, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

First of all, you won't find *any* objective opinions on this forum. In fact, I think "objective opinion" is an oxymoron.

What you will get is lots of subjective opinions. You'll find lots of people who love these speakers and think they're a great value, and lots of people who hate these speakers and wouldn't take them if you gave them to them.

However, if you personally listened to the speakers, and liked (loved) them, then why do you care what a bunch of strangers on the internet think?

Craig

Point taken,i could of posted just about anything there,
or any make for that matter and gotten this reply.
in my subjective opinion.
post #4 of 146 Old 04-03-2008, 07:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Point taken,i could of posted just about anything there,
or any make for that matter and gotten this reply.
in my subjective opinion.

And my point still remains... if *you* like the speakers, what difference does it make whether someone else does or not?

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #5 of 146 Old 04-03-2008, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

And my point still remains... if *you* like the speakers, what difference does it make whether someone else does or not?

Craig

just for giggles,what what do you have and why?
post #6 of 146 Old 04-03-2008, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
well if people didnt care about other's opinion then there
wont be so many people wasting their time writing/reading here.

Yeah "you" are the ultimate decision maker but it certainly helps
to get some feedback from others so that "you" know what is
out there and know what to expect.
post #7 of 146 Old 04-03-2008, 08:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I have owned several Klipsch speaker systems, ranging from Klipsch Forte's to Klipsch Reference systems. I've also heard and enjoyed Klipsch THX Ultra2 systems in several different rooms.

In addition, I've heard and enjoyed many different speaker systems from MacIntosh to Wilson to Def Tech to B&W and quit a few others.

I currently own an Atlantic Technology 8200e THX Ultra2 system with JL Audio subwoofers, and a set of av123 Strata Mini's in separate systems.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #8 of 146 Old 04-03-2008, 08:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Missed the "why".

I own the Atlantic Technology system because it has the dynamics and output capability I require for HT.

I own the Strata Mini's because they are so beautifully musical.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #9 of 146 Old 04-03-2008, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

well if people didnt care about other's opinion then there
wont be so many people wasting their time writing/reading here.

Yeah "you" are the ultimate decision maker but it certainly helps
to get some feedback from others so that "you" know what is
out there and know what to expect.

well put!!!
post #10 of 146 Old 04-03-2008, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Missed the "why".

I own the Atlantic Technology system because it has the dynamics and output capability I require for HT.

I own the Strata Mini's because they are so beautifully musical.

Craig

certainly sounds like you know what you like,
and seem to approve of my selection,
which is good enough for me.
i'm getting them this weekend,
and will post a thorough review for you're scrutiny.
post #11 of 146 Old 04-03-2008, 08:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

and seem to approve of my selection,
which is good enough for me.

Again, this is *exactly* my point... why do you care what *I* like? My opinions are totally subjective and have virtually nothing to do with what you will like or prefer.

Before you acquire this system... I sincerely hope you have spent your "due diligence" time in auditioning it, and making sure that you and the people important to you will enjoy it.

Craig

Edit: For example, there are *tons* of people who really like the sound of multi-directional speakers for HT. Speakers from Def Tech, Mirage, Magnepan, Martin Logan and many others feature direct plus indirect sound. I would never own such a speaker system. I *prefer* a direct, monopole speaker. I find the directionality much more "convincing" than all the reflected energy of multi-polar speakers. Who is right? Both? Neither?

I boils down to preference, pure, plain and simple.

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #12 of 146 Old 04-03-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Again, this is *exactly* my point... why do you care what *I* like? My opinions are totally subjective and have virtually nothing to do with what you will like or prefer.

Before you acquire this system... I sincerely hope you have spent your "due diligence" time in auditioning it, and making sure that you and the people important to you will enjoy it.

Craig

Edit: For example, there are *tons* of people who really like the sound of multi-directional speakers for HT. Speakers from Def Tech, Mirage, Magnepan, Martin Logan and many others feature direct plus indirect sound. I would never own such a speaker system. I *prefer* a direct, monopole speaker. I find the directionality much more "convincing" than all the reflected energy of multi-polar speakers. Who is right? Both? Neither?

I boils down to preference, pure, plain and simple.

You are correct that in the end it does boil down to what someone's ears like and is in his or her budget. Having said that...

Plenty of smart people think Bose equipment is great and high end audio because they don't know any better. They have never been educated on better equipment and don't know where to look. For example, I never heard of Ascend before browsing through these forums and they are now a serious candidate for my next HT speaker upgrade.

I think that what "audiophiles" think is important for someone new to "better" equipment. As you point out, something like speakers are such subjective things that there will always be a vast array of preferences.

A couple of years ago I decided I wanted to get some decent headphones for an iPod. I started doing some preliminary research online and discovered the Head-Fi web site (http://www.head-fi.org/forums). Bad mistake. I spent a ton of time browsing the forums, reading what people really into headphones and amps like before I stepped into that money pit. I was thinking I could buy a good set of headphones for $50-$100 bucks and soon ended up spending a couple of grand on headphones, DACs, upgraded cables, tube amplifiers, etc. And that wasn't my last upgrade..

If someone is going to drop some money on equipment and they don't have much experience in the area, a little reassurance is not a bad thing. But, not to beat a dead horse, it has to sound good to them.
post #13 of 146 Old 04-03-2008, 10:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Many people getting started want input because they're just getting their ears situated. Why would a newbie buying a violin ask for the input of pro violinists? Same reason. Personally, I think Klipsch are about the 2nd most overpriced speakers on the planet, but at half price, they're not so bad. Plenty of better designed things that offer more long term satisfaction and less of that "well, I didn't know what I was doing back then" feeling. PSB, Paradigm, Boston, NHT, heck, even B&W. On the other hand, you can just buy something, listen, get used to it, go shopping in a few years with more confidence, then work your way forward from there.

John
post #14 of 146 Old 04-04-2008, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

Many people getting started want input because they're just getting their ears situated. Why would a newbie buying a violin ask for the input of pro violinists? Same reason. Personally, I think Klipsch are about the 2nd most overpriced speakers on the planet, but at half price, they're not so bad. Plenty of better designed things that offer more long term satisfaction and less of that "well, I didn't know what I was doing back then" feeling. PSB, Paradigm, Boston, NHT, heck, even B&W. On the other hand, you can just buy something, listen, get used to it, go shopping in a few years with more confidence, then work your way forward from there.

I owned Paradigm, Boston, NHT and others. I then bought Klipsch R7 set up.
I did not know what I was doing before the Klipsch as you say. I could never buy B&W or Thiel at 1/10 of the price.

Opinions do vary.
post #15 of 146 Old 04-04-2008, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall View Post

Many people getting started want input because they're just getting their ears situated. Why would a newbie buying a violin ask for the input of pro violinists? Same reason...

I agree. It's a good sign that a lot of musicians own Klipsch speakers. It is also understandable that salespeople develop their favorite brands to sell. I agree with Craig about the OP's question generating more of a debate between salespeople and Klipsch owners given my experience on this forum. ;-)

sodmeister,

That being said, I agree with Alimental about Klipsch Bookshelf speakers and not paying full price. {EDIT: I don't think they are the "2nd most overpriced speaker," though} If you are getting a discount (I wouldn't go so far as to say half price) that should be a good bang for your buck HT.

Fwiw, I prefer towers as mains for both Music and Movies. If you can find a deal on the RF-82s to use as mains you may not feel the need to upgrade--Good Luck.
post #16 of 146 Old 04-04-2008, 06:48 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

good or bad!

Have you listened to them? That is what counts. (Personally, I can't stand Klipsch.)
post #17 of 146 Old 04-04-2008, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
All right! The local Klipsch hater dorks Pulliamm & Alimentall have come out of their parents basements to add their input in the same thread! These guys know more than Home Theater, Sound & Vision, as well as most other experts in the industry. I feel so fortunate they've taken time out of their busy important lives to grace us with their opinion. This should be good.

I've personally had enough of both of them and have too much work to do to argue with them, but for anyone new to the discussion, have a good time!
post #18 of 146 Old 04-04-2008, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
As pointed out already, it doesn't matter what others think -- if you like their sound, go for it!

Personally, I find their sound fatiguing and harsh.

John
post #19 of 146 Old 04-04-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoND View Post

I've personally had enough of both of them

I can assure you that the feeling is mutual.
(Also, since you apparently cannot read with comprehension, let me spell this out so that even you can understand it: "personally, I can't stand Klipsch" is not bashing, merely stating a valid opinion.)
post #20 of 146 Old 04-04-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

(Also, since you apparently cannot read with comprehension, let me spell this out so that even you can understand it: "personally, I can't stand Klipsch" is not bashing, merely stating a valid opinion.)

Could it be that you have inhaled too much glue while playing with those plastic models?
post #21 of 146 Old 04-04-2008, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post

As pointed out already, it doesn't matter what others think -- if you like their sound, go for it!

I have had several dozen people listen to my various Klipsch Home Theaters and although I see this sentiment being expressed quite often, I have NEVER heard anyone say this when listening to quality material through my Klipsch speakers. In fact I get the exact opposite reaction.

That being said, I have experienced this phenomena in show rooms when the speakers either weren't set up correctly or had a lousy or bright environment. I also have seen salespeople put upper end Klipsch Reference Speakers with lower end AVRs, mistakenly thinking because they are so efficient that they don't benefit from better power supplies. This can also limit the quality of the LF and exaggerate the HF making it harsh at louder volumes, imo.

I can't say I like all Klipsch speakers and in fact I don't. Imo, anyone discounting the whole Klipsch line as sounding harsh or bright may honestly feel that way, but I can't help but think they are basing their opinion on limited or flawed exposure--Then again they may hear things differently than I do. ;-)

With that in mind, I will agree with johnsteph10 and Craig and purchase what you have listened to, like, and can fit into your budget.
post #22 of 146 Old 04-04-2008, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

Can't blame you for having the same feelings. I and numerous others here have handed you your lunch on various threads, each time you come out looking intellectually weak, which has to bother you whether or not you'll admit it to us or yourself. Looking forward to others taking care of the job with you as they normally do.
post #23 of 146 Old 04-04-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post

Jump all over this guy! He said "Personally, I find their sound fatiguing and harsh." That is bashing!
post #24 of 146 Old 04-04-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoND View Post

I and numerous others here have handed you your lunch on various threads

Sorry that you have deluded yourself like that. Nobody has ever "handed me my lunch", or even merely won an argument with me, for that matter.
post #25 of 146 Old 04-04-2008, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

You will love those speakers, buy them.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #26 of 146 Old 04-04-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Many, many people need validation through commercials or from others for their choices. This site, as well as many others, exists in part to provide that validation. So they feel secure. Safe being among other like minded. Secure that others will provide a defense should it ever be called for. My oldest has Klipsch. Despite that, I love him.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #27 of 146 Old 04-04-2008, 11:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

So sodmeister, this thread is a microcosm of my first post; several people saying they love them and several saying the don't love them. Now, do you feel vindicated or violated?

Personally, I don't give a fat rat's A$$ what someone like PULLIAMM or Alimentall or even Chu Gai, (whom I respect), think of my speaker choices. Similarly, I don't think you should care what I or anyone else should think of yours. If you feel you've found "value" in your choice, be comfortable with it and don't look back.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #28 of 146 Old 04-04-2008, 11:43 AM

many long time klipsch haters have not listened extensively to the new reference iv series. This series is more refined in the mid-high to high range. While still up front with the music, they are no longer "harsh" or overly bright.

I have the same set up as you except for the mains. I would opt for the RF-82s with the RF-62s as a backup. You get a much fuller sound with the RF series...and the 82s are really a very sweet speaker.
post #29 of 146 Old 04-04-2008, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:

Personally, I don't give a fat rat's A$$ what someone like PULLIAMM or Alimentall or even Chu Gai, (whom I respect), think of my speaker choices. Similarly, I don't think you should care what I or anyone else should think of yours. If you feel you've found "value" in your choice, be comfortable with it and don't look back.

And you shouldn't. But then you're a pretty secure guy who is very informed and weighs matters according to your own personal scale. If I were ever to visit, it wouldn't be to check out your gear. I'd be there to listen to some tunes, watch a movie, and bring over some beer.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #30 of 146 Old 04-04-2008, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Personally, I don't give a fat rat's A$$ what someone like PULLIAMM or Alimentall or even Chu Gai, (whom I respect), think of my speaker choices.

Yes, I can see that

John
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page