Does Anyone Here Own Revel F30 Speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-17-2001, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On two occasions now, I've listened to the Revel F30s using Proceed HPA amps, transports and processors. Every time I've felt that these speakers have good imaging and excellent bass, however they do require a little break in time, but there seems to be some synergy with Proceed electronics.

I was wondering at the $3500 to $5000 price point, what would be some other speakers to consider if I was using all Proceed electronics?

Thanks,

rsg...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-18-2001, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Liked: 12

don't know about the sound with the Proceed...

but i'm thinking of getting out of my Def Techs and picking up a pair of F30s and surrounds, D90s?

they sound great...

------------------

Widescreen DVD - Because a superior format requires superior formatting.

No, i can't go out, i'm watching Garbo...

post #3 of 11 Old 05-18-2001, 07:27 AM

Just heard the Revel M20's which sounded quite nice although far from "the best bookshelf speaker I ever heard" as stated in the recent Soundstage review.

Made the mistake of then listening to the Revel Ultima Gems with a Proceed HPA 2 (now I want them). No comparison. The Gems had substantially more transparency and detail, better imaging and focus as well as more dynamic punch. Obviously they should sound better for 5 x's the price. But considering they can be purchased used for around $5000, they are worth comparing to the F30's.

Duaneadam
post #4 of 11 Old 05-18-2001, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Performas are a great product, but for an alternative in the same price range combined with Proceed gear, I would give a listen to Thiel 2.3's. I heard a demo of these with the AVP and HPA-2's and it was something! The Thiels are a demanding drive, however, and the room they're in effects the sound a bit more than the Revels, which are designed to be more forgiving in different spaces.

------------------
The MPAA will not win this one!
Stop DVI/HDCP, PHILA and 5C- hack and mod to your heart's content!

A woman is weeping over shadows on a screen, a man gets excited over ink on a page, a child is frightened over words in a book-
The mind gets caught up in the unreal and people become identified with it. But its power is such that it rules the world.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-18-2001, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Duane,

I've listened to the Revel Gems on one occasion and they do posses the characteristics you described, but somehow they lack the bass of the F30s. The F30s really have a good low end.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

rsg...
post #6 of 11 Old 05-19-2001, 01:31 PM

rsg_1

I don't own the F30s, but I have a pair of Revel Studios. I heard the F30s really well set up at the dealership where I got my Studios on several occasions, and have had the opportunity to speak with Kevin Voecks about the Revel line.

I have to say that if I couldn't afford the Studios, I would buy the F30s in a minute and not look back. As always though, setup is a big part of any speaker/system's performance.

Good luck in your quest.

Joel
post #7 of 11 Old 05-19-2001, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Joel,

I've listened to the Studios, Gems and F30s using Proceed electronics and obviously the Studios had more detail, imaging, depth and airiness. The F30s seemed like the next best thing to the Studios, but at $5000 is there anything else that comes similar? In my initial research, aside from buying used or demos, I've come to the conclusion that at this price point there is nothing else but the F30s.

rsg...

post #8 of 11 Old 05-19-2001, 09:40 PM

rsg,

I can't claim to have heard everything out there...

What I can say is that Revels are built to do certain things well. They have a very even frequency response, both on and off axis. They are dynamic and maintain their timbre even at high levels. They have very low levels of cabinet coloration. All Revels are built with the same priorities.

There is a school of thought that likes phase coherence and therefore builds speakers with first order crossovers. Vandersteen, Dunlavy, and Thiel come to mind. They tend to have a smaller sweet spot and work the drivers harder so they also tend to dynamically compress and change timbre in high level passages. If you like the phase coherent sound, you will go with one of these manufacturers (not just the three I mentioned).

Revel developed their top priorities through listening tests and phase coherence didn't make the list compared to the items I listed for them. If their sound priorities are also yours, they are hard to beat.

Joel
post #9 of 11 Old 05-20-2001, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Joel,

Thanks for the information. But could someone explain 1st and 4th order crossovers? Also, what exacly is meant by phase coherence?

Thanks again.

rsg...
post #10 of 11 Old 05-20-2001, 08:28 AM

I too have heard and LOVED the F30's & M20's but I was mildly disappointed in the C30. As other people have stated "look for a used pair of Ultimas.."

There are some great deals on Ultima Voice & Embrace on Audiogon and other online places. Would it be a "mismatch" using the Voice & Embrace with the F30's? I have heard the Performa's using Mark Levinson 400 series monoblocks and Aragon 8008ST. I personally liked the Aragon for the price vs. performance issue I couldn't justify the price. I would look for used deals on HPA series amps though.

Michael

------------------
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

Eighty percent of married men cheat in America! The rest do it in Europe! -Jackie Mason
post #11 of 11 Old 05-20-2001, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Michael,

I've heard the C30 with the Proceed HPA-3/AVP/PMDT and it was a little bright and didn't have the slam of the F30s. Like the F30s, the C30 needs a good break-in time of at least 100 hours. I've heard the Voice and Embrace under a similar setup and IMO, they would not be a mismatch because the drivers are similar in design between the Ultima and Performa line. You might try using a pair of M20s for the center. This is the approach I'm thinking of.

rsg...
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page