Vintage JBL L150.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-13-2008, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My brother offered to give me his old JBL L150's for my HT/stereo system. These speakers are pristine in every way and were tuned-up by JBL no more than 2 years ago. He suggested they might work well with my Onkyo 805 receiver.

Opinions on this speaker? Will the Onkyo 805 be enough to drive them?

I'm brand new to this forum...and I thank you beforehand for any and all opinions and advice!

Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-13-2008, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone....just wanted to bump this for some possible help. Thanks!
post #3 of 11 Old 04-13-2008, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Congratulations. Those are very nice vintage speakers that can sill hold their own today.

You can get some of the technical details here:

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te.../L150%20ts.pdf

The Onkyo should be enough to drive them, though not perhaps to the loudest levels. The recommended max power for the L150s is 300W/ ch, so it might be slightly underpowered, but things will be fine as long as you don't turn the volume control more than about 2/3 of the way up. Beyond that you might drive the 805 into clipping, which would be very bad for your L150s.

Owner's manual here:

http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Ow...ual/L150om.pdf

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #4 of 11 Old 04-13-2008, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Fantastic! So it would appear the speakers are as good as suggested by my brother.

Therefore, if I want to realize the full potential of the JBL's I would have to buy a separate amp? I'll look into this.

Aaron
post #5 of 11 Old 04-13-2008, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gldnedge View Post

Fantastic! So it would appear the speakers are as good as suggested by my brother.

Therefore, if I want to realize the full potential of the JBL's I would have to buy a separate amp? I'll look into this.

Aaron

I also have a pair of the L150A's, cranking speakers, mine are 30 years old. I use to drive them with a Sansui G9000DB 160wpc and they did just fine.

Audyssey setup guide
post #6 of 11 Old 04-13-2008, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Very cool....and the Sansui had to sound awesome!

One of my biggest concerns is getting enough juice to the JBL's using my Onkyo 805. Reason being, my listening room is an odd dimension of 12' X 40'. Seems that the sounds get stretched and have far less impact than they would have in a shorter length room.

Truthfully, I should do just fine with the 130w the Onkyo has to offer. I mean, how loud does it have to be???

Aaron
post #7 of 11 Old 04-14-2008, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very cool....and the Sansui had to sound awesome!

One of my biggest concerns is getting enough juice to the JBL's using my Onkyo 805. Reason being, my listening room is an odd dimension of 12' X 40'. Seems that the sounds get stretched and have far less impact than they would have in a shorter length room.

Truthfully, I should do just fine with the 130w the Onkyo has to offer. I mean, how loud does it have to be???

Aaron

The 805 will keep you happy, I always went by if I had enough power to BLOW the dust off the tweeters, for me that was getting those meters to dance aroud 50 to 100 watts. That was a time when 200Wpc and up where the norm, you'll find the 150's a very strong player and with those 12" woofers, you will have plenty of bottom end.

As for the room size, i would not worry the 150's and the 805 should crank enough to get the police to your door, ahaa!! the good old days

Audyssey setup guide
post #8 of 11 Old 04-29-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:

My brother offered to give me his old JBL L150's for my HT/stereo system. These speakers are pristine in every way and were tuned-up by JBL no more than 2 years ago. He suggested they might work well with my Onkyo 805 receiver.

Opinions on this speaker? Will the Onkyo 805 be enough to drive them?

I'm brand new to this forum...and I thank you beforehand for any and all opinions and advice!

Aaron

Excellent speaker and one would be hard pressed to find anything of the same quality for under 2 grand. I had a set of these new since 1981 and just recently parted them out and sold them on ebay as they were just to big to use in my system but sound wise they were awesome. Although they put out a ton of bass, for home theater use a quality subwoofer can make those things just explode. They ae extremely effecient and can do justice with very little power so your Onkyo should do fine but they can also handle a ton of power. This was one of JBL's best speakers made and during a time that JBL was king.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-29-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdog03 View Post

Excellent speaker and one would be hard pressed to find anything of the same quality for under 2 grand. I had a set of these new since 1981 and just recently parted them out and sold them on ebay as they were just to big to use in my system but sound wise they were awesome. Although they put out a ton of bass, for home theater use a quality subwoofer can make those things just explode. They ae extremely effecient and can do justice with very little power so your Onkyo should do fine but they can also handle a ton of power. This was one of JBL's best speakers made and during a time that JBL was king.

You said it Brother!!

Audyssey setup guide
post #10 of 11 Old 11-21-2009, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Just a note....WAY after the fact:

I've been working on my brother regarding this set of JBL L150 speakers (he must have found this thread on Google).

I want these JBL's in the worst way....LOL. Still waiting for him to turn them over to me.

C'mon, bro....help a guy out!
post #11 of 11 Old 01-05-2014, 06:46 PM

How can I get a hold of your brother....... I have been looking for a set of JBL L150's since I left Germany back in 1981

Reply Speakers

Tags
Onkyo Tx Sr805 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Silver
Gear in this thread - Sr805 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page