Paradigm Monitor 3 - what would you pay? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-17-2008, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also wasn't there a bluebook for loudspeakers? I googled but got nothing. Anyway, found a pair thinking of buying. These are the older type with front port, iirc they made them rear firing later. I remember hearing paradigms somewhere and liking them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-17-2008, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

So nobody knows the link to look up used speaker prices?
post #3 of 13 Old 04-17-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

The only place I know about is the Audiogon Bluebook section. It's not free. $19.95 for 30 days and $49.95 for a year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I went there earlier, thanks though. I went and got these speakers as well, so moot point now.

They sound great by the way.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 06:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

That's great. What did you end up paying for them?

|
post #6 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

I got it with a 60% discount off MSRP. They were immaculate so I didn't want to haggle further than that.

He didn't have the original stands, just some cheapo ones that were too short. Time to get the saw out, I think I've still got MDF left.

Since we're here and in case someone cares:

The more I listen to these the more I like it. The highs are precise, and bright. Not too much, just crisp enough to call it near perfect. The bass is definitely there, I crossed them at 60, blends almost seamelessly (fault of my 95db dual 15s, I won't be using them with the digms in the long run though, they are just too loud at any setting for these) Reportedly the extension goes down to 35 or so, which I believe but the speaker sounds better if you cut the low end and let the sub do it's work.

The midrange is not as bright as the highs, and has a very warm presence. I wouldn't call it overly dim, though. Paradigm really did their homework on what sounds good and what people listen to. These little speakers do a great job with all kinds of music. Best part about them is how easy they are to listen to. They are not shrill or piercing. Very soothing sound that reaches out and invites you to stay. Imaging is very respectable. Not the most depth of anything I've ever heard, but the side-to-side stereo effect does go 3-4 feet wider than the actual speakers. Instruments and vocals are fixed, and do have some 'layering' to them, meaning the sound is very unfolded and the various instruments don't appear out of the same point source. Very well done for a 2-way.

This was my first pair of paradigms, I just had to know what the hoopla was all about. Now I'm tempted to go after some studio 100s instead of building my dipoles! :O

Well thanks for reading if anyone made it this far and take it easy guys.

-Alex
post #7 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 03:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexE View Post

I got it with a 60% discount off MSRP. They were immaculate so I didn't want to haggle further than that.

He didn't have the original stands, just some cheapo ones that were too short. Time to get the saw out, I think I've still got MDF left.

Since we're here and in case someone cares:

The more I listen to these the more I like it. The highs are precise, and bright. Not too much, just crisp enough to call it near perfect. The bass is definitely there, I crossed them at 60, blends almost seamelessly (fault of my 95db dual 15s, I won't be using them with the digms in the long run though, they are just too loud at any setting for these) Reportedly the extension goes down to 35 or so, which I believe but the speaker sounds better if you cut the low end and let the sub do it's work.

The midrange is not as bright as the highs, and has a very warm presence. I wouldn't call it overly dim, though. Paradigm really did their homework on what sounds good and what people listen to. These little speakers do a great job with all kinds of music. Best part about them is how easy they are to listen to. They are not shrill or piercing. Very soothing sound that reaches out and invites you to stay. Imaging is very respectable. Not the most depth of anything I've ever heard, but the side-to-side stereo effect does go 3-4 feet wider than the actual speakers. Instruments and vocals are fixed, and do have some 'layering' to them, meaning the sound is very unfolded and the various instruments don't appear out of the same point source. Very well done for a 2-way.

This was my first pair of paradigms, I just had to know what the hoopla was all about. Now I'm tempted to go after some studio 100s instead of building my dipoles! :O

Well thanks for reading if anyone made it this far and take it easy guys.

-Alex

Thanks for the edited post. I appreciate the quick review. I was looking for something for the game room and these just might work out nicely. :-)

|
post #8 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

You should look on E-bay. Seriously. So many used Paradigm for sale on there. I see one pair that sold for $275 + $50 shipping used recently. The Monitor 3's usually don't get much more (if not less) than Mini-monitors. Search E-bay under completed listings. Actually, the guy on there says he has 4 more pairs of Monitor 3's, and will sell multiples. If you are set on Monitor 3's, you'd better contact him fast.

Personally, I would also avoid Monitor 3's. Personally, in side-by-side listening, I liked the less expensive Mini-monitors much better. The salesman agreed, and said that it had to do with the Mini having a smaller/faster midrange/bass cone. Not sure if that's correct, but my ears could tell the difference. Maybe you feel differently.

As I understand it, in the older models (not sure about the v.5 models) the Monitor 3 and 9 are sort of less-liked by more people. That's what I've read, anyway. As to my own listening at a Paradigm dealer, I would have to agree with the Monitor 3 not being as good, anyway.

"Any reviewer that didn't rail against this [Young Guns Blu-ray encode] should be sued, and Lionsgate should be ashamed of themselves. " - msgohan
post #9 of 13 Old 04-20-2008, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baccusboy View Post

You should look on E-bay. Seriously. So many used Paradigm for sale on there. I see one pair that sold for $275 + $50 shipping used recently. The Monitor 3's usually don't get much more (if not less) than Mini-monitors. Search E-bay under completed listings. Actually, the guy on there says he has 4 more pairs of Monitor 3's, and will sell multiples. If you are set on Monitor 3's, you'd better contact him fast.

Personally, I would also avoid Monitor 3's. Personally, in side-by-side listening, I liked the less expensive Mini-monitors much better. The salesman agreed, and said that it had to do with the Mini having a smaller/faster midrange/bass cone. Not sure if that's correct, but my ears could tell the difference. Maybe you feel differently.

As I understand it, in the older models (not sure about the v.5 models) the Monitor 3 and 9 are sort of less-liked by more people. That's what I've read, anyway. As to my own listening at a Paradigm dealer, I would have to agree with the Monitor 3 not being as good, anyway.

Well if you read the thread I already got them. The old monitor 3 is the new titan, so as far as how it stacks up to the mini it's not quite that cut and dry IMO. I heard the new minis in the same room as the 3s out of curiosity - the 3/titan is just a larger speaker and requires more power to get the mids out. The minis are great for a small home theater that way - with a low WPC receiver and a sub they sound great even at lower amplitude. The 3s have good definition at quieter levels but it's harder to keep that 8 inch cone in check without some power.

As far as prices, the v3 monitors 3s sell for what a new mini sells for, or roughly half MSRP ($500/2 = 250). Because of this I considered the mini, since I could have it new and there is still a paradigm dealer in SD. I may still get a pair of minis, they fit on a desk much better than the 3 - but I'm keeping the 3s till I die; whether as rears, bedroom set or whatever, but I do like them a lot.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-20-2008, 03:37 PM

Monitors 3 have good bass extension and offer a bigger sound..

Seize the Day..!
post #11 of 13 Old 04-20-2008, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not at all a fan of what Paradigm has done to their monitor line. They really screwed it over. I bought older version 7s recently, and but they're still new. Glad I did -- I don't like the newer tweeters. I saved money anyway.

A speaker like the Mini or Monitor 3 doesn't have enough bass for me on its own. That's why I like to couple them with a sub. I found the faster mid more important than bass extension, because I was going to cut them off at 80hz and send the lows to the sub, anyway.

"Any reviewer that didn't rail against this [Young Guns Blu-ray encode] should be sued, and Lionsgate should be ashamed of themselves. " - msgohan
post #12 of 13 Old 04-20-2008, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

I couple mine with a sub too; I crossed the 3s at 60hz, it blends very nicely and leaves a little more power for my receiver.

Another thing I want to mention, is that the crowning jewel of the v3 Monitor 3 is the "PTD" titanium tweeter. It is superb. Light and airy, it brings brass, cymbals and all manner of strung instruments to life. You can hear the afterbreath of the sax and the most complicated sequences of mixed highs pour out like nothing. The woofer on the other hand is a run of the mill poly cone that as I said earlier sounds a bit flat without some power behind it. People hear the amazing highs and the normal mids/lows, coming to the conclusion that the whole speaker is either "bright" or there is something wrong with the mids. In reality it has a very good looking curve. The highs simply steal the show - and you pay proportionately for the rest with the higher numbers of the series which feature dual or tripple mid-bass drivers.

Apparently the new tweeters are indeed inferior to the ones we're talking about, so grats on a piece of the good ol' PTD action
post #13 of 13 Old 04-20-2008, 06:35 PM

I had some monitor 3s waaaaay back. I traded them in on the Monitor 9s. No version, the original ones. I still use them as the fronts in my system today, and they sound as good as they did new in 1990. I've had to replace one woofer over the years, but other than that they are original. The cabinets are getting beat up, since I have moved them around the world with me, but they will be in my house in one use or another until they die. I use Minis for all of the surround duties, but they are older as well; v3 I think.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page