Best $2000 Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 64 Old 04-21-2008, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the market for a pair of speakers for HT as well as stereo listening. Efficiency is not a problem as I have a pair of Adcom 555II 600W amps, (set in mono). The HT room is 36x22'.

I have a 300W M&K subwoofer with bass to spare. My center channel speaker is Aperion 533-VAC driven at 100W by another Adcom amp. My rear speakers are Bose 301's driven at 100W as well.

What's the best bang for the buck at 2K? Used or new.

"There's no such thing as an easy job, not if you do it right."

Mladen Sekulovich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 04-21-2008, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
One of the best new values on the market is the Salk SongTower's at $1795. Check their website at www.salksound.com. You'll find plenty of people on this forum who believe you can't beat it for a new pair of speakers.

I'm not as familiar with the used market. I might also recommend you try matching your center if you plan to continue using it for HT.
post #3 of 64 Old 04-21-2008, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

I might also recommend you try matching your center if you plan to continue using it for HT.

Appreciate the advise. I should have mentioned that HT sound is not as important as music. I plan to upgrade the center and rear speakers later anyway.

Mladen Sekulovich
post #4 of 64 Old 04-21-2008, 08:02 PM

Liked: 11
From the speakers I've heard, I'd look at B&W CM7 and Paradigm Studio 60 speakers. I prefer the Studio 100s over the 60s, but the 100s are $500 more expensive. Between the CM7 and the 60 it's a toss up between what type of sound you like. Both are very well balanced frequency wise. You don't hear any of their individual speakers that stands out or is not emphasized enough. I thought the CM7 were warmer. The Paradigms were fairly neutral. They also struck me as crisper than the CM7.

Best advice is to get out there and listen. Bring a CD of every kind of music you listen to and spend a day visiting some shops. $2k deserves nothing less.
post #5 of 64 Old 04-21-2008, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despoiler View Post

Best advice is to get out there and listen. Bring a CD of every kind of music you listen to and spend a day visiting some shops. $2k deserves nothing less.

Yep, good advise. I listen to everything from classic rock, bluegrass to classical. I guess you could say I'm a very a well rounded or extremely confused individual.

Mladen Sekulovich
post #6 of 64 Old 04-21-2008, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

You should DEFINITELY look at the SongTowers then if music is your goal. Jim built them around being able to play music extremely well. I bet you'll want to look at these threads as the work has already been done for you:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=919069
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=931069
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=995082

I doubt you'll find more comprehensive information than these 3 threads. Read on you've got your work cut out for you now
post #7 of 64 Old 04-21-2008, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'd take a look at the Energy RC-70's. A true 3 way tower speaker that is neutral, covers a broad spectrum (31hz to 23khz) and can be had for 2 grand at FULL retail, but less I'm sure at audio stores. Best of all, you can audition them in person before buying.

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #8 of 64 Old 04-21-2008, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One of the best new values on the market is the Salk SongTower's at $1795. Check their website at www.salksound.com. You'll find plenty of people on this forum who believe you can't beat it for a new pair of speakers.

I'm not as familiar with the used market. I might also recommend you try matching your center if you plan to continue using it for HT.

I fully agree, but there are other considerations...The best speakers are the ones you like.

You "brag" (don't mean it in a bad way) about your Adcoms, which are good, but you already have an Aperion center, and in this forum it has been discussed many times how important and almost obligatory it is to match your center with your mains. So, the best speakers for you are a pair of Aperion 633-T.

Another alternative is to sell your 533 center and get a new set of speakers within your budget. Here is a small list of what brands to check:

+ Salk Sound
+ Monitory Audio
+ PSB
+ Paradigm
+ B&W
+ AV123
+ Vienna Acoustics
+ Dali
+ Focal JM

Regarding your 301's, many people will tell you to throw them away. My advise is to keep them as rears. Concentrate your budget in the front speakers. When you have more budget then sell the 301's and get something nicer, but it is not a priority.
post #9 of 64 Old 04-21-2008, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey View Post

Appreciate the advise. I should have mentioned that HT sound is not as important as music. I plan to upgrade the center and rear speakers later anyway.

Sorry, missed this post by you...Then, I would seriously consider the Salk Song Towers, also B&W is very good in that price range, as is Dali.
post #10 of 64 Old 04-21-2008, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd nominate my speakers, but the Tanzanite is also under $2k. Together they should be top 2, the drivers (and probably crossovers) other commercial speakers under $2k use are not as good. I've not heard for example, B&W offerings of the same price, but I doubt it would even be in the same league.
post #11 of 64 Old 04-22-2008, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

hope you have a dealer locally to audition the Magnepan 1.6R, great speaker for under $2k. Even these smaller maggies are good size floor standers and would work well in a large size room like yours to let them really sing and make an excellent choice for your 2 channel music. then when your ready for your next big upgrade like the Magnepan 3.6R for the fronts you can use them as rears.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #12 of 64 Old 04-22-2008, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I would suggest you take a look at the Dali Helicon 400's. They can be had used for around 2500 or so. I know it's a little over your budget but they are exceptional speakers, especially for music.

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

post #13 of 64 Old 04-22-2008, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

You should DEFINITELY look at the SongTowers then if music is your goal. Jim built them around being able to play music extremely well. I bet you'll want to look at these threads as the work has already been done for you:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=919069
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=931069
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=995082

I doubt you'll find more comprehensive information than these 3 threads. Read on you've got your work cut out for you now

+1

All three of those threads will take you through a bunch of suggestions.

Happy hunting!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #14 of 64 Old 04-22-2008, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Audio View Post

Here is a small list of what brands to check:

+ Salk Sound
+ Monitory Audio
+ PSB
+ Paradigm
+ B&W
+ AV123
+ Vienna Acoustics
+ Dali
+ Focal JM

Add Revel, Dynaudio and Totem to that list and you're pretty much guaranteed to find something you like.

To the OP: Have you listened to anything yet? If so, what did you like/dislike? What do you have available to audition in your area?

Scott
post #15 of 64 Old 04-22-2008, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

One of the best values on the market are the AV123 Rockets or the AV123 mini-strata, Check their website at www.**********. You'll find plenty of people on this forum who believe you can't beat it for a new pair of speakers.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #16 of 64 Old 04-22-2008, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My center channel speaker is Aperion 533-VAC driven at 100W by another Adcom amp.

its probably been posted but dont you want to match your Center with your mains?

post #17 of 64 Old 04-22-2008, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteel01 View Post

Add Revel, Dynaudio and Totem to that list and you're pretty much guaranteed to find something you like.

To the OP: Have you listened to anything yet? If so, what did you like/dislike? What do you have available to audition in your area?

Scott

I haven't had a chance to check any out, but the good news is I travel with my job. I'm presently working in South Bend, IN. I'm in no rush to buy and just wanted some informed suggestions.

penngray,

I'm more interested in 2 ch sq and will match the center once I settle on the fronts.

Mladen Sekulovich
post #18 of 64 Old 04-22-2008, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm more interested in 2 ch sq and will mach the center once I settle on the fronts.

AV123 mini-strata, I havent read one listening comparison where another set of speakers even came close. For style and design they look like $10K speakers. Who doesnt want something their friends will think is 5-10K??

Besides that AV123 has one of the best owners around, you can talk to him!! The forum is incredible and they continueously make new products, give away great deals for old products and you will be one very happy customer.

btw, the stratas are pure 2 ch speakers not really matched with a center!!

post #19 of 64 Old 04-22-2008, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I trust IrritateGuy's opinion over a million magazine reviews and such. He really knows what hes talking about, and he is 100% honest and straight forward. He confirmed that they look like $6k speakers, but did not confirm that they're the best sounding ones at $2k.
post #20 of 64 Old 04-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

I noticed you sad you liked the Paradigm 100s but didn't like the price, you should check out Axiomaudio's M80s, they sound very much like the Paradigms for half the price. Axiom has a forum where you might be able to find someone nearby for an audition.
post #21 of 64 Old 04-23-2008, 04:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

they sound very much like the Paradigms for half the price.

Do they really? Im not debating, Im just wondering since I know the paradigms really well and I have never heard the Axioms

post #22 of 64 Old 04-23-2008, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't had a chance to check any out, but the good news is I travel with my job. I'm presently working in South Bend, IN. I'm in no rush to buy and just wanted some informed suggestions.

penngray,

I'm more interested in 2 ch sq and will match the center once I settle on the fronts.

Gotcha. As long as you're prepared to spend some time auditioning, I think you've got a great list work from. There's some very different sounding speakers there, all from well respected manufacturers. You won't like 'em all, but hopefully you'll be able to find one that really does it for you.

Don't recall seeing it, but do you have a preference for bookshelf vs. floorstanding? It might help focus your short list a bit.

Scott
post #23 of 64 Old 04-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Do they really? Im not debating, Im just wondering since I know the paradigms really well and I have never heard the Axioms

Yes they do, I have A/B'd them and I would have been very hard pressed to tell the difference. But that is just to me, anyone else might not come to the same conclusion, although on the Axiom forum this is the generally regarded scenario by those that own the M80s and I fall into that group.
post #24 of 64 Old 04-23-2008, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Raise your budget quite a bit and do some auditioning, then go look on audiogon.com for those speakers used.... The best way to get better speakers for your money. Say almost 1/2 price...
post #25 of 64 Old 04-23-2008, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I would reccomend Paradigm
I was able to get a pair of Paradigm Studio 100 v4's on Audiogon for around 1800. So you just have to get a little lucky with what people list on the site.

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #26 of 64 Old 04-23-2008, 10:42 AM

If I had $2000 for a pair of speakers right now, I would probably get either PSB Synchrony 1Bs or Def Tech Mythos Ones.
post #27 of 64 Old 04-23-2008, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes they do, I have A/B'd them and I would have been very hard pressed to tell the difference. But that is just to me, anyone else might not come to the same conclusion, although on the Axiom forum this is the generally regarded scenario by those that own the M80s and I fall into that group.

That's very cool, I may have to pickup some Axioms now

post #28 of 64 Old 04-23-2008, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteel01 View Post

Don't recall seeing it, but do you have a preference for bookshelf vs. floorstanding? It might help focus your short list a bit.

Scott

Floor standing. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Mladen Sekulovich
post #29 of 64 Old 04-24-2008, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Floor standing. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Well, I can't really add many more to what's already been mentioned, but I can tell you what was on my short list when I was shopping for ~$2k floorstanders:

Revel Concerta F12 ($1,500 MSRP)
Dynaudio Audience 72 ($1,900)
Totem Sttaf ($1,600)
Paradigm Studio 60 ($1,700)
PSB Stratus Gold ($2k closeout)--They've been replaced, but not sure what the appropriate comparision would be in the new PSB lineup
B&W 604 (603?) ($1,400)--They've also been replaced, I think with the 683 or 684

That's all that I've personally heard in that price range.

Ooh. Almost forgot. Haven't heard them, but I would definitely check out the era D10's if you can (I think ~$1,700). I'm a big Aerial fan and by all accounts, the era's have some of Michael Kelly's mojo in them.

Maybe somebody else can fill in some of the ID models and prices for you.

Happy hunting.

Scott
post #30 of 64 Old 04-24-2008, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Another recommendation would be ACI Sapphire XL.

Otherwise, B&W CM7, Paradigm 60, Dali Icons, Dali Helicon closeouts, Thiel CS1.6...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page