MONITOR AUDIO'S:2 pairs of GS10's/GS center VS RS8s,RS1's,RS center? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 04-22-2008, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok posted this on the Monitor Audio tread with no luck. We originally wanted a pair of GS20's,pair of GS10's with the GS center but the prices we found were a little out of our price range.
So now we are thinking of either:
Option #1:two pairs of GS10's with the GS center
Option #2air of RS8's,pair of RS1's with the RS center

Option #1 is approximately $850 more than Option #2. How does the Silver line hold up to the the GS10's? Are the GS10's worth the extra $850?
The set up will be for 98%movies and will be run by a Denon 3808.
Someone suggested trying to go used by I'm kinda leery of buying used for obvious reasons.
We have no one here locally that sells Montior Audio's anymore so I can't audition them. Does anyone have experience with both of these? Anyone have any suggestions where to buy?
Thanks ahead of time for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 04-22-2008, 10:02 PM

For movies, I would save some cash and go with the Silver series. The Gold is noticeably better, but more so for music than movies. Heck I would even suggest getting three RS6's for the front if possible and putting the RS1 in the back. And get a big sub! But not a MA sub.
post #3 of 28 Old 04-23-2008, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassfajita View Post

For movies, I would save some cash and go with the Silver series. The Gold is noticeably better, but more so for music than movies. Heck I would even suggest getting three RS6's for the front if possible and putting the RS1 in the back. And get a big sub! But not a MA sub.

How about the RS8's?
post #4 of 28 Old 04-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

gotta agree for mostly movies i would get RS8 + RSLCR + RSFX setup....
post #5 of 28 Old 04-23-2008, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
i personally didn't think the gold sounded better at all when we had them in the store (short time). I actually thought the silver series did more for my ears personally (not everyone felt this way, most customers wanted the gold series but went with the silver because of the drastic price difference when you compared similar models)
post #6 of 28 Old 04-24-2008, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

How about if I throw a third option in this:
Focal's: Pair of Chorus 826V,Chorus 806V,Chorus CC800V all for $2800?
I know nothing of Focal, how would they fair against the 10's or RS8's?
P.S. will have a Epik Caliber sub with this
post #7 of 28 Old 04-24-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB View Post

How about if I throw a third option in this:
Focal's: Pair of Chorus 826V,Chorus 806V,Chorus CC800V all for $2800?
I know nothing of Focal, how would they fair against the 10's or RS8's?
P.S. will have a Epik Caliber sub with this

you might want to PM Tim (hifisponge) on the Focals vs the MAs. Or AudioArchitect. I think he helped me out a bit. He sells both brands too.
post #8 of 28 Old 04-24-2008, 12:34 PM

Definitely go with RS8s, mainly because you watch mostly movies. That being said, I'm tempted to suggest the RS6s instead, as I've heard the RS8s and the bass can get a bit muddy in the bottom... and is probably best delivered through a nice, powerful sub.

Focal is good too... and look awesome. Both speakers are not overly demanding in terms of amplification (if my memory serves me). I've owned Focal, they have good tweeters. MAs are good overall speakers.
post #9 of 28 Old 04-25-2008, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkninja67 View Post

you might want to PM Tim (hifisponge) on the Focals vs the MAs. Or AudioArchitect. I think he helped me out a bit. He sells both brands too.

Yes I did and Matt is a great guy,just trying to find someone who has listened to both the MA's(GS10's & RS8's) and the Focal's
post #10 of 28 Old 04-26-2008, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Had a chance to listen to the Focal's and they sounded pretty nice but it was a quick listen. I will listen to them more extensively tomorrow and the GS10's and a RS6's set up. Couldnt find anyone here with RS8's. How are the RS6's compared to the RS8's?
post #11 of 28 Old 04-27-2008, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How are the RS6's compared to the RS8's?

A bit muddy in the bass region IMO (rs6 is tighter IMO). I generally would go with the RS6's and toss the extra $500 towards a sub
post #12 of 28 Old 04-27-2008, 06:26 AM

Like what has been said...I have the RS6 , RSCR and RSFX with SVS NSD-PB12 sub
post #13 of 28 Old 04-27-2008, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rick View Post

A bit muddy in the bass region IMO (rs6 is tighter IMO). I generally would go with the RS6's and toss the extra $500 towards a sub

Well the sub is taken care of( I hope ) Epik Caliber scheduled for delivery tomorrow .
post #14 of 28 Old 04-30-2008, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Layman's review:
Ok I got a chance to listen to the Focal's Chorus I mentioned above and Focal's 918SIG,908SIG with matching center(CC908SIG) and the Montior Audio GS10's and RS6's used the GSLCR with both.

Focal Chorus's: They were very nice sounding,they had a wide dispersion and nice mid range. Aesthetically they were the least favorite. The highs were very good also.
With movies they did a good job also. The wide dispersion came in handy here. I dont remember what sub we used but it did not get muddy with it.The center could have been a little clearer(compared to the Signature series,see below).

Focal Signature's: Well they had discontinued 918SIG towers, 908SIG bookshelves and CC908SIG center that they hooked up for us to compare(to the Chorus's). We were told they were higher end speakers from past year. With music these were hands down better than the Chorus's. More detail,clarity and just overall sounded better. They didnt have as wide a dispersion as the Chorus and the mid range was not there as well as the Chorus but was very close and I think that is why they were more clear.
For movies again the dispersion was not as wide and the mid range wasnt as good as the Chorus but again it was very close and the sub kinda evened-out that. the center was alot better than the Chorus's. Aesthetically they are a lot better looking than the Chorus's as a matter fact they are great looking .
Overall we liked the the Signature series better. Can't believe how much the signatures went for originally.

I had a chance to listen to a pair of Monitor Audio GS10's with the GSLCR center and a pair of RS-FX's as rears. We also got a chance to listen to a pair of RS6's in place of the GS10's.

RS6's sounded great with music and they were very clear and the mid range was well rounded. Overall the speakers were very nice and were in as good as the Focal signatures(or at least very close).
With movies they did a very good job also. no matter where we sat they sounded very good the mid range were very good and did not get muddled with the 15" Earthquake sub we were using.

OK the RS10's:
We were floored! RS10's were in a completely other realm! With music they just floored us! These speakers were so accurate,clear precise, it sounded like the artist was right there singing it live. Dispersion was perfect and so transparent,As a matter a fact I think if you listen to bad recordings it will show on these speakers. There were a couple of times we thought they got a little "tinny"(I think that is how you would spell it) but we realized it was the recording we were listening to and not the speakers getting "tinny".
If I have to say anything bad about them is they may be to transparent(I'm not sure it's a bad thing ). I can guarantee you I am not expressing how well these speakers performed,not even close.
With movies again they were great accurate,clear and right on! I thought with the RS6's being floorstanding ,they would do better with the mid range but they wernt any better. It wasnt the sub because on music they produced just a well as the RS6's in the mid range. The center is very very good and sounded very clear and just blended perfectly with the 10's.

Well I think you can tell which speaker was the best in this and hands down!
I will tell you this is all subjective so take it for what it's worth.
The Focal's we listened to were in a showroom at Showcase Entertainment which was an enclosed room. The Monitor Audio's was at a Custom installers living room open room,two story with carpet.
Locally the Focal's will not even be considered since they were in the $4400 price range. The best price we could get on line (someone on here ) would be around $2800 and that is for the Chorus line. The RS6's sounded better than the Chorus's significantly and are a lot cheaper. The GS10's are about $300 more than the Focal's and the GS10's just blew them out of the water,it is not even close between them.

Again there are a lot of varibles that can affect all this and I understand this but I'm just putting this out for people to take whatever they want to out of it.
For us the GS10's are over what we wanted to spend and had we heard the RS6's without the GS10's right next to them,we would be picking the RS6's over the Focal's. They were as good as the Focal's but the RS6's are alot cheaper.
I hope this helps people and again this is a layman's opinion.
post #15 of 28 Old 04-30-2008, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

So you are going with GS60s??
post #16 of 28 Old 04-30-2008, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

So you are going with GS60s??

I WISH!......Our long term plan is the get the GS20's for fronts and put the GS10's they replace as suround backs.
The GS10's were piano black and the RS6's were rosenut. Monitor Audio makes DAMN GOOD LOOKING speakers! sorry for the language
We are planning on saving more to get the GS10's . If we had heard the RS6's somewhere else I think we would have gone with them but the 10's just made the 6's look bad. I'm just afraid that we get the 6's and not be happy with them or just regretting not saving and getting the 10's.

So what have we learned here: If you have a budget in mind(ours was 2K and $2500 MAX,only if we ran into a deal of a lifetime) and your considering Monitor Audio.If the series is not in your budget, DON'T LISTEN TO THEM!
post #17 of 28 Old 04-30-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

superman- why not just buy the gs10's and center now and add the rest in later? don't wait!

this also gives you the ability to buy the gs20's as fronts and save for them down the road to move the gs10's to the rear.
post #18 of 28 Old 04-30-2008, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

superman- why not just buy the gs10's and center now and add the rest in later? don't wait!

this also gives you the ability to buy the gs20's as fronts and save for them down the road to move the gs10's to the rear.

Yes we are considering that but it seems you get a better deal if you buy them all together. Wish we never listen to them . We are still debating if they(GS10's) are worth it
post #19 of 28 Old 04-30-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes we are considering that but it seems you get a better deal if you buy them all together. Wish we never listen to them . We are still debating if they(GS10's) are worth it

I debated whether or not the GS60s were worth 4 fold the price of my old RS6s. Needless to say, they are IMO.
post #20 of 28 Old 04-30-2008, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you know you already are going to buy them based on your own comments in this thread. Otherwise you are going to kick yourself in a few months.
post #21 of 28 Old 04-30-2008, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

you know you already are going to buy them based on your own comments in this thread. Otherwise you are going to kick yourself in a few months.

truf.
Although my RS6 pair were awesome, I always had the "what if" question in the back of my mind. At least the Platinums are well out of my budget so I will be happy with my Golds for a long time.
post #22 of 28 Old 05-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The first time I heard the GS10s I was sold on them... but the price!! sigh...

I started looking at the silver line thinking of saving money... but IMO they dont even hold a candle to the gold series...

I do agree with the HT vs Music comment... and if its only for movies you can get away with the silvers... but there is still a huge gap beteween silver and gold...

I am still looking to buy and trying to stomach the cost of the gold series... For my music demos it was no contest.

Got iSCSI?
post #23 of 28 Old 05-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

truf.
Although my RS6 pair were awesome, I always had the "what if" question in the back of my mind. At least the Platinums are well out of my budget so I will be happy with my Golds for a long time.

I had a direct comparison with RS1, RS6, and GS10... the GS10 still won me over on all points. Even the RS6 lacked the WOW factor the GS10 was able to consistently deliver.

If you can afford the GS10s, id also look at the Dynaudio Focus 110 or 140 depending on the type of music you listen to. I oringally went in looking at Dynaudio and found Monitor Audio.

I like Rap, Hip-hop, and Trance/Techno type musics and the GS10 did a much better job on this stuff to my ear.

Got iSCSI?
post #24 of 28 Old 05-01-2008, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I am a PSB owner, and very satisfied with my purchase. Bought PSB T45/C40/B25 more because of budget, as my first choice would have been MA RS6/SLCR/RS1, and with a better budget definitely the Gold Series.

I found the Gold Series to be a noticeable upgrade from Silver Series. GS10 is an excellent speaker, very detailed, warm, great mids, and what a soundstage.

If you are into music go with the Gold Series, no debate. If you are into movies, more than music, go with the larger Silver Series setup.
post #25 of 28 Old 05-01-2008, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well we pulled the trigger on 2-pairs of GS10's with the matching GSLCR center. I'm not sure what you paid for the PSB's but the price I found for the RS6's was a steal for what you get.
We compared the GS10's & RS6's to Focal's Chorus 826V,807V & there discontinued Signature 918SIG,908SIG(which are suppose to be upper series over the Chorus). We liked the SIG's more and the RS6's were almost as good,if not as good as the SIG's and the price was almost 3 times as much. The GS10's were in a completely other realm from the the Focals and RS6's. If we had not heard the GS10's right next to the RS6's,we would have went with the RS6's.
We heard the RS6's and GS10's with movies also and we thought the GS10's did just as well,if not better than the RS6's.With music,for lack of a better explaination IT WAS NO CONTEST! If your budget is the RS6's, DO NOT listen to the Golds .
Our budget was 2k,no more than $2500. So now we just can't justify going with the RS6's after hearing the 10's. We either keep saving or bite the bullet(overtime here I come ). We just would not be completely happy not going with the Golds.
IF your interested in Monitor Audio I can not reccomend enough Matt(guy who started the Monitor Audio thread), he is a great great guy!
post #26 of 28 Old 05-02-2008, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If we had not heard the GS10's right next to the RS6's,we would have went with the RS6's.
We heard the RS6's and GS10's with movies also and we thought the GS10's did just as well,if not better than the RS6's.With music,for lack of a better explaination IT WAS NO CONTEST! If your budget is the RS6's, DO NOT listen to the Golds .

Our budget was 2k,no more than $2500. So now we just can't justify going with the RS6's after hearing the 10's. We either keep saving or bite the bullet(overtime here I come ). We just would not be completely happy not going with the Golds.

Told you Gold is a big improvement over Silver. I paid $1,050.00 for the complete PSB set, plus $160.00 air freight from Chicago to PR. My local Monitor Audio dealer sells at full MSRP, so the Silver set was almost $2K, and a pair of GS10 was $1,700.00/pair. I tried to buy the MA's from different dealers in the USA, but some thought I was trying to scam them with maybe a stolen credit card, or just didn't sell outside their area. For example, Saturday Audio sold me the PSB's, but didn't quote the Silver Series set as their MA contract wouldn't allow them to sell to areas where there is an established MA dealer; good ethics on their part, but on the other hand MA lost the business.

It looks like you did well your job comparing a few brands/series. Enjoy your MA's.
post #27 of 28 Old 05-03-2008, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well we pulled the trigger on 2-pairs of GS10's with the matching GSLCR center. I'm not sure what you paid for the PSB's but the price I found for the RS6's was a steal for what you get.
We compared the GS10's & RS6's to Focal's Chorus 826V,807V & there discontinued Signature 918SIG,908SIG(which are suppose to be upper series over the Chorus). We liked the SIG's more and the RS6's were almost as good,if not as good as the SIG's and the price was almost 3 times as much. The GS10's were in a completely other realm from the the Focals and RS6's. If we had not heard the GS10's right next to the RS6's,we would have went with the RS6's.
IF your interested in Monitor Audio I can not reccomend enough Matt(guy who started the Monitor Audio thread), he is a great great guy!

Congrats and welcome to the MA family. Hope to see you post in the MA thread more often.
post #28 of 28 Old 05-03-2008, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Congrats and welcome to the MA family. Hope to see you post in the MA thread more often.

Thanks the 14th will not come soon enough!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page