Great speakers and reciever for about 700 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 04-22-2008, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have 600-700 to spend on speakers and a receiver. This is going to be used to play blue ray disc audio. Just to let you know I probably spend about 7 hours a day listening to audio from discs and I would love to have the crispest sound for the buck. 700 seems like little green for someone so involved in listening but I would like your input as I have no more to spend. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-22-2008, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Everyone's definition of "great" speakers will be all over the place money wise. It will be pretty difficult to get a decent receiver and speakers for that price. Are you talking 2 channel stereo listening with/without a sub? Are you talking about a 5.1 or 7.1 setup?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-22-2008, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

at least 5.1 I can expand to 7.1 later. and I suppose by great I actually mean as great as 700 can get me.
post #4 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

That's a pretty low budget to build your own but there are some options.

Polk R150's @ $50 x 4: http://shop3.outpost.com/product/496...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Polk CSR center $79.99: http://shop3.outpost.com/product/496...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Refurb Onkyo 605 $299: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...r-BLACK/1.html
Velodyne VX-10 sub... search for it :P
post #5 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 85
It'd be better to go with a 2.0 setup and add on later, but here's what you asked for.

Onkyo 605 as mentioned in the post above

Mission Speakers
http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/TSTO.sto...duct/View/2229

Dayton Subwoofer (More bang than the Velo VX-10, but not as musical)
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-633

Cables
http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp
post #6 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Personally I would just save more money. Even used, you aren't going to get very good equipment for that budget. Aside from that, I would look for used speakers with that budget. You will need a new (at least newish) receiver to decode the soundtracks from Blu-ray.
post #7 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 09:39 AM

I posted a very similar thread to this a few days ago. The overwhelming response was very similar to what others here have said- just wait until you can spend more. Unfortunately, that isn't an option for me because my limitation isn't money, but my wife. But, after relentlessly searching the interwebs, I found some great deals and have already made my purchases, with money left over to spend on upgrading my speaker wires and getting some good high end cables. Since I am new here, I can't post links without at least three posts. So I'll follow this with the links for what I got. Not a bad way to spend less than $600...
post #8 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 09:43 AM

If you don't mind a refurbished receiver (with a full mfr. warranty) check this out. For speakers, I went with this. Not the best in the world. But a very decent 7.1 system with all the bells and whistles I could ever want. The only real knock for me was the receiver's inability to upconvert 5.1 to 7.1. But that wasn't enough of a deal breaker for me to look for the onkyo 705. Hope this helps!
post #9 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimzb View Post

I posted a very similar thread to this a few days ago. The overwhelming response was very similar to what others here have said- just wait until you can spend more. Unfortunately, that isn't an option for me because my limitation isn't money, but my wife. But, after relentlessly searching the interwebs, I found some great deals and have already made my purchases, with money left over to spend on upgrading my speaker wires and getting some good high end cables. Since I am new here, I can't post links without at least three posts. So I'll follow this with the links for what I got. Not a bad way to spend less than $600...

High end cables? I'm not exactly an expert, but I wouldn't bother with high end cabling until I had invested a good $5,000 into my speakers. My impression is that the very, very slight difference some people claim can be achieved by using high end cables is only ever audible on speakers that are of a very high quality.

I think investing that cash into better speakers would have been better use of the money. I spent about $30 on a decent sub cable and some reasonable gauge speaker wire. To a certain degree, copper is copper.
post #10 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Amazon.com usually has things that are availible for much-lower-than-retail-price.

I'd go with Harman Kardon for the receiver and Sony or JBL for the speakers.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #11 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
$700 for 5.1 and a receiver is simply a HTIB system...so post in that forum and you will get a better answer.

I believe this forum doesnt help anyone that doesnt have $1K for speakers alone.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #12 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

money left over to spend on upgrading my speaker wires and getting some good high end cables.

OMG, Who posted that?

There is no such thing as HIGH END cables. Its simply a waste of money to "upgrade" wire because you are not really upgrading it.

post #13 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

but I wouldn't bother with high end cabling until I had invested a good $5,000 into my speakers. My impression is that the very, very slight difference some people claim can be achieved by using high end cables is only ever audible on speakers that are of a very high quality.

Nope, high end cables is just placebo stuff even people with 20K systems can not tell the difference in a proper testing. There are million dollar challenges out there!!

Get decent cables and wire from monoprice.com and never worry about them again

Dont buy monster, dont buy from Best Buy or anything local you are simply wasting money. Unless you really can not wait for the 3-5 days shipping.

post #14 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

You guys are right, I need at least 1k.
post #15 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You guys are right, I need at least 1k.

Its hard the first time you come on and find out things cost more then you wanted but you can always start cheap.

FOR $700, you can get a GREAT receiver (ie...Yahama V663 $399) and you can get 3 speakers (Elemental Designs for just over $350) .....oops thats $750.

Decent 5.1 and receiver for $700 is impossible (IMO)

Starter package 3 speakers (L/R/C) and receiver for $700, yes.

post #16 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 11:06 AM
D-X

post #17 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

If you live in a big metro area go and scan your local circuit city's for VR series Boston Acoustics equipment, Denon AVR-x87 series receivers, and Velo VRP or Boston XB series subs.

If you are lucky enough to find that stuff, within your $700 budget you could get a:

Denon AVR-787, 687, or 587
+
Pair of Boston VR2 fronts
+
Boston VRB center
+
Velo VRP-1200 or VRP-1000

All for under your budget. Add cheapie surrounds and up 'em when you have time. Boston Bravo II's are also being cleared out but they'd push you over your $700 budget.
post #18 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 11:27 AM

I had around the same budget as you about a year ago!

I ended up with an Onkyo 304 (~$100) a pair of used Axiom M22s (~$300) and the Dayton 12" sub (~$120). This leaves you with just about enough money to buy the matching Axiom center channel (VP-100).

This setup was GREAT for the money, and I'd bet that the majority of people would be completely satisfied with that setup, BUT upgrade-itis hit me hard.

I ended up selling the M22s and returning the Dayton to buy a pair of used Axiom M80s and an eD sub. I figured it would be better to just buy the best I could, piece by piece, so I could be completely satisfied with the finished product... at least I hope

You can do pretty well even with a $700 budget, but IMO you would be better served spending that money on a great pair of speakers then slowly building your system around that.
post #19 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 12:31 PM

Check out the Infinity Beta Series being closed out right now. They will give you a nice setup for little money.
post #20 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

OMG, Who posted that?

There is no such thing as HIGH END cables. Its simply a waste of money to "upgrade" wire because you are not really upgrading it.

I know next to nothing about all this stuff, but from what I've read, that is not the case when it comes to HDMI cables (which is what I was actually referring to). That is good to know about the speaker wire, though, for those of us that come here to educate ourselves. And, please correct me if I am wrong in reference to the HDMI cables.
post #21 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 12:46 PM

Yamaha rx-v663 $400
a pair of polk Monitor 50 L/R front: $230
a pair of polk R150, surrond :$50
center: none, because it is useless
$20 calbes
total=$700
post #22 of 22 Old 04-23-2008, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimzb View Post

I know next to nothing about all this stuff, but from what I've read, that is not the case when it comes to HDMI cables (which is what I was actually referring to). That is good to know about the speaker wire, though, for those of us that come here to educate ourselves. And, please correct me if I am wrong in reference to the HDMI cables.

You're wrong. A cable from Monoprice or Tartan will work just as well at typical lengths as some "fancy" cable that costs 20+ times more. For very long distances with HDMI, you do need a well constructed cable with thicker wiring, which Blue Jeans Cable sells for about 1/4 of the price as Monster or others.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page