The Official Tweak City Audio Owner's Thread (Craigsub's New Co)Tech Talk Only - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 157 Old 04-24-2008, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58

Tweak City Audio is now online and the TCA forum can be found here.

For those of you who haven't heard of Tweak City Audio, it is a company started by a well known fellow enthusiast named Craig Chase (craigsub). Craig is one of the "godfathers" of this Audio hobby we love such much, and soon he'll be known as a Pioneer in the industry. His vision was to start a company and offer us consumers a large bang for our buck. With the help of Danny Richie (speakers and crossover design) and his brother (who owns a Pro Audio company) Craig will offer high performing products that won't break the bank.

Initial Product List

Gizmo - A 2x25 watts per channel amplifier with a subwoofer pre-out, bass and treble shelving controls, mute and an appealing style. This little "Gizmo" might actually make it past the WAF and into our bedrooms as the heart of a 2.1 channel system. Gizmo retails for $119.00.

Gizmo made its debut at the AV123 Chicago GTG and was quite a hit. See below for some of the attendees impressions.

Impressions:

More pics

WAF-1 - A 5.25" 2-way bookshelf speaker at $229/pair.

This speaker will just be one of many from Mr. Chase himself and has a retail price of $229 per pair. The WAF-1's will redefine the performance an affordable "entry level" bookshelf can offer, not to mention they are gorgeous.

Reviews of the newly released WAF-1's can be found here.

Pinache-1 - A Danny Richie designed satellite-sized speaker with a 3" driver and a crossoverless design.

Other things to look forward to are room treatments, a full line of the single driver bookshelf speakers found below and more audio/video equipment (such as subwoofers).

That's all for now folks, but there is plenty more to come. Please, let's keep this civil and fun.

Let the posts, questions and impressions/reviews begin.

P.S. I apologize for posting this only in the "speaker" portion of the forum, but speakers are a big part of Tweak City Audio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Reserved.

post #3 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Be careful. In the past AVS has not taken well to the posting of discussion threads for products that don't exist yet.
post #4 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Oh they exist, they just aren't available quite yet.

post #5 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Oh they exist, they just aren't available quite yet.

Being available to the general public has been the standard in the past.
post #6 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingCoastal View Post

Be careful. In the past AVS has not taken well to the posting of discussion threads for products that don't exist yet.

If you look in the many forums here (speakers, amps, bluray etc.) there are many threads started on products not yet available. For instance Emotiva's new pre-pros, Panasonics BD-50 and many many more. These products are not yet available to the general public but have been discussed quite a bit with the only issue of people wishing they were available. So your caution is not needed.

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #7 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I've known that craigsub was planning this for a while now. It's good to see another true ID company.

So what would make these products stand out? I thought these were AV123 lower end items? Is this basically a spin off of AV123?
post #8 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post

I've known that craigsub was planning this for a while now. It's good to see another true ID company.

So what would make these products stand out? I thought these were AV123 lower end items? Is this basically a spin off of AV123?

This is a completely separate company from AV123. Craig's products, while not looking quite as nice aesthetically in order to save on costs, will cost very little but perform very well. If you read up on the scamp-10 suwboofer, it was mentioned by one member that its not quite MFW-15 capable in comparison, but close. For the sub $200 retail price of the Scamp-10, that's pretty darn impressive IMO.

In a nutshell, his the goal is to put out a product with superior performance but at a fraction of the cost that you'd pay for that same performance at a B&M store or elsewhere. And with the help of Mark Seaton and Danny Richie, the outcome will be positive for sure.

I want to make people aware of what is to come within that "budget" price range that is so often spoken of. I see new threads started almost every day asking, "What can I get for $800" or "What is the best system I can purchase for less than $1000." Well, judging by the initial testing, prototypes and happy listeners, I'd say his stuff is going to re-define the definition of a "quality budget system." And that is what I created this thread. We'll actually be able to get the typical Bose owner (whom is after great sound from a smallish all inclusive package system) into a system that actually performs well.

post #9 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

If you look in the many forums here (speakers, amps, bluray etc.) there are many threads started on products not yet available. For instance Emotiva's new pre-pros, Panasonics BD-50 and many many more. These products are not yet available to the general public but have been discussed quite a bit with the only issue of people wishing they were available. So your caution is not needed.

Bill

It has actually been inconsistent.

Threads about the SVS PB13-Ultra were shut down because it was not available....the same goes with the Ascend Sierra.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #10 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

It has actually been inconsistent.

Threads about the SVS PB13-Ultra were shut down because it was not available....the same goes with the Ascend Sierra.

I think the standard is that if people complain, the thread gets shut down. Of course, several arguments prior to the complaints usually seal the deal. That's what happened with the Sierra thread with back and forth from the usual suspects.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

post #11 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno View Post

I think the standard is that if people complain, the thread gets shut down. Of course, several arguments prior to the complaints usually seal the deal. That's what happened with the Sierra thread with back and forth from the usual suspects.

True. So lets refrain from arguing and keep it civil gents. Thanks!

P.S. The Gizmo is already in "the hands of the public" because a few were raffled off at the GTG, so I think we're good.

post #12 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

True. So lets refrain from arguing and keep it civil gents. Thanks!

P.S. The Gizmo is already in "the hands of the public" because a few were raffled off at the GTG, so I think we're good.

Gizmo's, WAF-1s, and Scamp-10s were all raffled off last weekend.

------------------------------------------------------
BinaryLinguist
post #13 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLinguist View Post

Gizmo's, WAF-1s, and Scamp-10s were all raffled off last weekend.

Thank you sir!

post #14 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Haha I like the name WAF-1. Any chance to get an embedded picture of the sub posted? I don't really feel like registering at another forum right now. Also any impression with how his stuff would stack up against the eD lineup (my best point of reference right now)?
post #15 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdee View Post

Haha I like the name WAF-1. Any chance to get an embedded picture of the sub posted? I don't really feel like registering at another forum right now. Also any impression with how his stuff would stack up against the eD lineup (my best point of reference right now)?

Never heard the eD subs so I can't help you. The Scamp-10 was in a room with cathedral ceilings, open on one side to a staircase, and completely open on the other side to another room and yet the sound still impressed everyone there during Ratatouille and Flight of the Phoenix (no music). Kinda jaw-dropping when you consider its only $160.
LL

------------------------------------------------------
BinaryLinguist
post #16 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdee View Post

I attached them to the bottom of the original post and embedded them. You should be able to see them now.

As far as the comparison, Craig is planning on comparing them to the new SVS PB12-NSD. He'll add them to his subwoofer thread write-up hopefully in early May.

post #17 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

WAF-1 looks like a REF .5/RS150 clone (unless the production model uses different drivers).

Question regarding the 10" sub, is it a transmission line design? Looks like it's produced in AV123's Cali factory. I assumed it's a Seaton design due to the similarities. Very interesting subwoofer.
post #18 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post

WAF-1 looks like a REF .5/RS150 clone (unless the production model uses different drivers).

Question regarding the 10" sub, is it a transmission line design? Looks like it's produced in AV123's Cali factory. I assumed it's a Seaton design due to the similarities. Very interesting subwoofer.

It will be produced in av123's Cali factory and it is designed by Mark Seaton.
post #19 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 02:10 PM

Hey guys, I will be one of the Sales reps for the new company and I am sure Craig himself will stop in as well. Feel free to ask questions.

The Scamp and WAF speakers will be made in Cali by Uniaudio, which is contracted to make AV123 speakers as well.

The production models will all be satin black for now to keep prices down and to speed along production. Other options will be available in the future.

The Waf-1 as shown will be quite a bit different. Same basic shape and dimensions but with a carbon fibre cone and soft dome tweet...also satin black of course.

Other products are in the planning stage including single driver fullranges that come in below the WAFs price and well above as well as a monster 18" sub.

The Scamp is a slot ported design.
post #20 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post

The Waf-1 as shown will be quite a bit different. Same basic shape and dimensions but with a carbon fibre cone and soft dome tweet...also satin black of course.

Great news. Who makes these drivers? Peerless India?
post #21 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 02:37 PM

Will any other finishes be available on the Gizmo? Moho sure would be nice.

Thanks,
James
post #22 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:

Will any other finishes be available on the Gizmo? Moho sure would be nice.

Not as of right now. Not sure of the future.

Quote:

Great news. Who makes these drivers? Peerless India?

Hopefully Craigsub can answer or will answer this because I am not sure of the answer.
post #23 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 04:12 PM

wow good to see it over here. scamp is mine! now craig hurry up and build the thing, my onkyo htib sub isnt a good look.

im purple!
xbl:pumbaa071
psn:antishock
post #24 of 157 Old 04-25-2008, 04:46 PM

Liked: 11
Hi all - Nice to see some familiar faces here. Here are a few items to chew on:

1. Tweak City Audio is going to be a friendly competitor with AV123 - and there is no co-mingled ownership between the 2 companies.

2. Tweak City has purchased/secured manufacturing space at Uni-Audio, which also builds some of AV123's product lines.

3. In some cases - for example, our Gizmo and AV123's Headphone Amp, we are using the same enclosures, because it is cost effective.

4. There are some non-disclosure issues regarding our suppliers, so I cannot say who is making things like drivers until we get the legal stuff sorted out.

5. We are trying not to take this TOO seriously. I won't be taking any salary from this company, and hope it provides something useful to the hobbyist.

6. Tweak City's forum will be a welcome place for other companies to hang out. As an example, I am going to test the PB12-NSD and the Scamp-10. Do I expect our under $200 subwoofer to match their $600 subwoofer ? Nope. Let's just run the numbers, and see what happens. It may even be interesting.

7. You can even say we suck if you feel like it. It's all good.
post #25 of 157 Old 04-27-2008, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

Hi all - Nice to see some familiar faces here. Here are a few items to chew on:

1. Tweak City Audio is going to be a friendly competitor with AV123 - and there is no co-mingled ownership between the 2 companies.

2. Tweak City has purchased/secured manufacturing space at Uni-Audio, which also builds some of AV123's product lines.

3. In some cases - for example, our Gizmo and AV123's Headphone Amp, we are using the same enclosures, because it is cost effective.

4. There are some non-disclosure issues regarding our suppliers, so I cannot say who is making things like drivers until we get the legal stuff sorted out.

5. We are trying not to take this TOO seriously. I won't be taking any salary from this company, and hope it provides something useful to the hobbyist.

6. Tweak City's forum will be a welcome place for other companies to hang out. As an example, I am going to test the PB12-NSD and the Scamp-10. Do I expect our under $200 subwoofer to match their $600 subwoofer ? Nope. Let's just run the numbers, and see what happens. It may even be interesting.

7. You can even say we suck if you feel like it. It's all good.

You suck! Sorry, you set yourself up for that one. I just couldn't resist.

Thanks for the updates, Craig. It sounds like you're going to have a winner on your hands.

post #26 of 157 Old 04-28-2008, 03:59 AM
Advanced Member

Will the Scamp have a grille option? Can't see any attachment points in the picture.
post #27 of 157 Old 04-28-2008, 04:06 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstretch View Post

Will the Scamp have a grille option? Can't see any attachment points in the picture.

It will have a grill, feet and a better application of the finish. The unit I have here is the final prototype, and all performance issues have been established, now we just need to polish the look.

I did do some performance tests on Scamp on the 27th - you can find the results on our forum.
post #28 of 157 Old 04-28-2008, 04:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Craigsub, will you guys designs anything that will work within cabinets? I have specific needs and I believe you will be building high quality products @ remarkable prices AND Im a big fan!!

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #29 of 157 Old 04-28-2008, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here is the link to the results of the Scamp-10 on Tweak City Audio. Very impressive, Craig!

post #30 of 157 Old 04-28-2008, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Please put me on the pre-order list for 2 scamp-10s!!!

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page