Bose 800 Series Professional - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 05-06-2008, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have come across a pair of 1970ish Bose 800 Professional Series speakers. They are PA type speakers with 8x4inch speakers in each cabinet. I haven't been able to find a whole lot of information on them as far as value or age. Was wondering if anyone was educated on these or knew any information on them. I might be interested in selling them, but wanted to get more information before I posted them on the sales thread. I appreciate any and all info I can get on these...

Thank you,
~WDaniels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-06-2008, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Bose is not a popular subject around here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink
Mr. Cialella is, without question, the AVS honorary MOST ADMIRED PERSON OF THE YEAR.:D
post #3 of 32 Old 05-06-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 595
You're better off selling them on ebay.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #4 of 32 Old 05-06-2008, 03:41 PM

blose = oh noes/ i havent been around long but i can imagine not many fans of bose around here and i know why lol. i would sell them.
post #5 of 32 Old 05-06-2008, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Is this your Craigslist listing? http://orlando.craigslist.org/msg/667840753.html

If not, it gives you an idea what others are selling these for... $280. You definitely want an uneducated audience for these. No one with any knowledge about speakers will have any interest in Bose.

Monte
post #6 of 32 Old 05-07-2008, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers, and just so were all clear, I'm a Klipsch Yamaha fan so I don't want my credibility on here to be destroyed by the whole Bose topic, lol. I just happened to come across a pair of old speakers and figured I might be able to get something out of them.

Thanks again,
post #7 of 32 Old 05-07-2008, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

They look like 901's in a flight case...

...do they need the E.Q. as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink
Mr. Cialella is, without question, the AVS honorary MOST ADMIRED PERSON OF THE YEAR.:D
post #8 of 32 Old 05-07-2008, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
You definitely want an uneducated audience for these. No one with any knowledge about speakers will have any interest in Bose.

You guys do realize that way back Bose made pretty good speakers especially professional brands and BOSE didnt just market crappy stuff?

Its funny that people post words like "uneducated" and so on but they dont have any education on the history surround any discussion. Yes new BOSE stuff is complete crap compared to what we can find with a little research but that doesnt conclude that this product is crap, it could be great for the price offered.

We dont really know and therefore this should not be a BOSE hatefest!!

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #9 of 32 Old 05-07-2008, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool4life View Post

They look like 901's in a flight case...

...do they need the E.Q. as well?

The picture posted on Craigs List above are not my speakers, I will post them and put some pictures up, but they are definitely Bose 800 Professional Series Speaker System, has serial numbers posted on the back and the cases you see are actually part of the speakers themselves and no they dont need an EQ if you dont want to use one. They sound quite nice as a PA or DJ system.
post #10 of 32 Old 05-07-2008, 08:01 AM

Liked: 14
I have never heard any Bose speakers that didn't totally suck.
post #11 of 32 Old 05-07-2008, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^^ what a dumbass post!!! ^^^^^^^

Sigh..........He just wants to stoke a flame war.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #12 of 32 Old 05-07-2008, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

You guys do realize that way back Bose made pretty good speakers especially professional brands and BOSE didnt just market crappy stuff?

Its funny that people post words like "uneducated" and so on but they dont have any education on the history surround any discussion. Yes new BOSE stuff is complete crap compared to what we can find with a little research but that doesnt conclude that this product is crap, it could be great for the price offered.

We dont really know and therefore this should not be a BOSE hatefest!!

Somewhat true... The Bose 901 approach however was contraversial from the start and not everyone thought they were all that good. I still remember hearing them when they were new and it wasn't so much that they were good then as it was there wasn't all that much else in those days. True, they really have gone down hill over the years especially with things like the Acoustamess but they were never really all that good even in the early days. Back then you could get the 901 replacement drivers from Mcgee Radio for about $5.00/ea. so not exactly high dollar hardware in them. Altec was the big thing back then especially for pro and it was worlds above Bose in every way.

So, agreed...to some extent but Bose has no history of being a quality product the way Altec, Klipsch, Jensen, and a few other oldies do.

Monte
post #13 of 32 Old 05-07-2008, 12:01 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

^^^^^ what a dumbass post!!! ^^^^^^^

Sigh..........He just wants to stoke a flame war.

You just can't handle the truth. Are you seriously suggesting that you have heard Bose speakers that don't totally suck? If so, that puts you in a small minority.
post #14 of 32 Old 05-07-2008, 12:13 PM

There are some photos of 800 Series here (as well as some other interesting stuff):

home.allgaeu.org/srinaldi/prima-musik/seite_bose02.htm

Unforntunately not much info.
post #15 of 32 Old 05-07-2008, 12:20 PM

My roomate had the 901-IVs when I was in college. He had them hooked up to a Carver 200W/channel amp and they were not bad as I recall. They were not particularly efficient, and the distortion lights on the Carver would come on a little past
1/2 maximum volume.
post #16 of 32 Old 02-01-2013, 07:51 AM

I’m not sure where most of you got your information or if you have ever heard a Bose product. The truth is Bose is a very good speaker system. In the mid 70’s through the 90’s I traveled across the country playing music in small clubs to large concerts and I can tell you that Bose outperformed most of our equipment. Montekay mentioned Altec being a better speaker. We had 8 Altec Lansing Voice the Theater speaker cabinets that were replaced by 4 Bose 801 speakers. My son walks around with dr dre headphones hanging around his neck thinking he has something great but if you compare those to the Bose headphone you realize you can’t hear that drumstick hit the bell of the cymbal or the finger slide across the guitar string. The truth is, if Bose was so bad why has every company tried to copy the Bose Acoustimass surround sound system. I don’t have a dog in this fight, I just hate seeing someone mislead by people like penngray that are probably listening to his dr dres right now. Your speakers are worth around $250.00 if the cases and the foam on the speakers are in good condition. If you had the stands and crossover you could be looking at $500. I hope this helps.
post #17 of 32 Old 02-01-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFRANK29 View Post

I’m not sure where most of you got your information or if you have ever heard a Bose product. The truth is Bose is a very good speaker system. In the mid 70’s through the 90’s I traveled across the country playing music in small clubs to large concerts and I can tell you that Bose outperformed most of our equipment. Montekay mentioned Altec being a better speaker. We had 8 Altec Lansing Voice the Theater speaker cabinets that were replaced by 4 Bose 801 speakers. My son walks around with dr dre headphones hanging around his neck thinking he has something great but if you compare those to the Bose headphone you realize you can’t hear that drumstick hit the bell of the cymbal or the finger slide across the guitar string. The truth is, if Bose was so bad why has every company tried to copy the Bose Acoustimass surround sound system. I don’t have a dog in this fight, I just hate seeing someone mislead by people like penngray that are probably listening to his dr dres right now. Your speakers are worth around $250.00 if the cases and the foam on the speakers are in good condition. If you had the stands and crossover you could be looking at $500. I hope this helps.

I will say, there may have been a time when Bose was "less crappy". But, they were never really great or even good. Take apart almost any of their speakers over the past and you'll find thin paper cones, tiny magnets, fishing string size tinfoil for inter-wiring, terminated with cheap plastic connections.

Also, saying Bose headphones are better than Monster won't impress anyone! A pair of $30 dollar Audiovox headphones are about as good as a Monster pair.

EDIT: Also, didn't realize I just helped add to a 4+ year old thread. Even though it was revived by someone else, I apologize for adding to the stupidity.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #18 of 32 Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFRANK29 View Post

It may have helped....4 1/2 years ago when the last post in the thread was made rolleyes.gif

Bill
Valtyr likes this.
post #19 of 32 Old 02-03-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Why do others try and copy Bose's acousticrap product? Because clever marketing and flat out lying works. Bose has managed to convince a great portion of the public that they actually put out a quality product. So, other manufacturers put out look a likes so they can ride Bose's coattails and make a little money off of someone else's BS factory.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
post #20 of 32 Old 02-03-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

It may have helped....4 1/2 years ago when the last post in the thread was made rolleyes.gif

Bill

No doubt. First post. It's a fair guess that he joined just to troll and/or schill. LOL

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #21 of 32 Old 02-03-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Who are these "posters" who keep responding to 1-4 yr old Bose posts!? Really!? You think the op is still looking for help?!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #22 of 32 Old 02-03-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1650
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

No doubt. First post. It's a fair guess that he joined just to troll and/or schill. LOL
Yep, another one post wonder coming to poor Amar's assistance, spouting complete nonsense. Must be a slow day in Framingham when the Bose Trolls are digging up long dead threads to reply to.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #23 of 32 Old 02-03-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

CFRANK29 has a grand total of 1 post. It's entirely possible he's a Bose employee troll going around from forum to forum trying to defend their garbage.

post #24 of 32 Old 02-03-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Who are these "posters" who keep responding to 1-4 yr old Bose posts!? Really!? You think the op is still looking for help?!

Well, you know the thinking that goes on:

"But my Bose are very good because I spent a lot of money on them, and if everyone else says they are crap, I gotta make myself feel better."

It's that cognitive dissonance going on. Gotta make yourself feel good somehow. Or could be grief over their bad Bose purchasing decision. We keep getting those who are in the denial, anger, and bargaining stages of grief resolution.

There's a research paper for a psychologist here somewhere. tongue.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #25 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 11:09 AM

Just feel i should give some input. I have a pa system consisting of 18 eminence subs ,Bose 800 tops...the sound quality is amazing. They dont do very well as bass drivers ,but as tops......they come out tops.
post #26 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 1650
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioKK View Post

Just feel i should give some input. I have a pa system consisting of 18 eminence subs ,Bose 800 tops...the sound quality is amazing. They dont do very well as bass drivers ,but as tops......they come out tops.
Another one post wonder praising Bose. Come on, Amar, we're wise to you. rolleyes.gif

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #27 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
I thought some of their concert hall PA systems sounded pretty good (thought it has been many years since I have heard them).
post #28 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevypower View Post

I thought some of their concert hall PA systems sounded pretty good (thought it has been many years since I have heard them).
Their pro equipment actually has published specs. So I would expect them to sound better than their home crap because no pro I know just buys equipment without ensuring it will be adequate for the job.

post #29 of 32 Old 09-11-2013, 05:39 PM

I just bought a second set of 800's for $100. I now have 2 sets of 800s and 1 set of 801s. These were the speakers that made the Bose reputation. I have some old literature where they used them at a jazz festival in Geneva for everything. Weather Report was on stage and there was about a 15' stack on each side. They require a lot of power to drive. Contrary to what some people say, you should use the Bose eq unit that comes with them. It adds 10 dB of highs and 12 dB of bass to make them sound great. I've used them to play solo in bars and for acoustic music gigs and for sound for several plays. The nice thing about them is that you can be sitting up close to them or far away and you don't get you're ears fried by a lot of tweeter highs. If eqed properly, and i use the Bose fixed eq and an additional adjustable eq, they can sound wonderful and very smooth and never harsh. I love very clear high fidelity, but I often find that modern smaller sound systems just burn your ears. i like the Bose. They actually sound better if you stack 2 on top of each other because the low end couples. Now I have 4, so I can do this in stereo. Also, if you want much bass, you should use subs.
post #30 of 32 Old 09-12-2013, 07:43 AM

Is it that time of the month for the Bose drones to come through?
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page