The OFFICIAL Emotiva Speaker Owner's thread! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 587 Old 03-21-2009, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Knucklehead, I bought the ERM-1/ERD-1 5.0 setup. Basically I have the top of your 8.3 towers for the front stage. The build quality on the speakers is second to none. I did extensive research looking at speakers and had basically decided on another brand over these due to the lack of user comments vs. the other brand. I really liked the Emotiva design, the fact that Vance Dickason was involved, and I knew I had 30 days to try them out, so at the last minute I decided to go for it. I have no regrets what so ever with my purchase and the speakers are everything I had hoped for and much more.

I've heard some really great sounding speakers and these are well within range of them. Spending even 5 times what these cost would not get you a better sounding speaker IMHO.

I'm using a Pioneer 1015 receiver right now with my eye toward upgrading to a UMC-1 and either an XPA-5 or UPA-7 amp. Emotiva has my business from now on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 587 Old 03-22-2009, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ungo4 View Post

Knucklehead, I bought the ERM-1/ERD-1 5.0 setup. Basically I have the top of your 8.3 towers for the front stage. The build quality on the speakers is second to none. I did extensive research looking at speakers and had basically decided on another brand over these due to the lack of user comments vs. the other brand. I really liked the Emotiva design, the fact that Vance Dickason was involved, and I knew I had 30 days to try them out, so at the last minute I decided to go for it. I have no regrets what so ever with my purchase and the speakers are everything I had hoped for and much more.

I've heard some really great sounding speakers and these are well within range of them. Spending even 5 times what these cost would not get you a better sounding speaker IMHO.

I'm using a Pioneer 1015 receiver right now with my eye toward upgrading to a UMC-1 and either an XPA-5 or UPA-7 amp. Emotiva has my business from now on.

It sounds like your Emo speakers aren't going back. Is that a valid assumption?

So how is your Pioneer holding up? Running a little hot while watching theater? Not too many receivers take kindly to driving 4 ohm loads but the speakers aren't all that power hungry.

I'm driving the ERTs just fine with the UPA-7. Of course it delivers 280wpc in 2 channel if I need it. I'd need a hearing aid if I used that much power.

From what I understand Dann G said the 8.3 is a modular design of sorts, the ERM-1 faceplate is the same as the ERT upper faceplate. I love the build quality of these speakers. Solid as anything I've ever owned bar none.

bill1908: Yes I got the bigfoot. It is a monster! It is slowly collapsing my 15 year old entertainment center. The timbre match with the Emo speakers is uncanny good. If I listen carefully I can hear the shift in sound as a scene 'walks' across the front 3 speakers. It has a very good sound quality, probably as good as the Emo speakers and thats saying a lot. I'm not in any hurry to get a 6.3 to replace it, especially for what I paid for this one. I can almost buy 3 of them for the price of 1 6.3. And 2 channel is where I'm at 90% of the time.

Glad you asked about the bigfoot. Sometimes used things get lost in the shuffle with new stuff. The bigfoot should be on anyone's short list for a decent center channel speaker.

Here is a shot of the current setup of mine. I don't have the LMC-1 in there, but I did get it today. Sounds great!
Anyway, the towers are the ERTs, center is the bigfoot and the sub is an Infinity PS212, quite capable but unheralded in the audio world. Its 400 watts and 12". Works for music and theater just fine. Not seen but most certainly not forgotten is the ERD-1s, a fine surround speaker.

Oh, might as well get a shot of my favorite ride in here. Not actually my bike but mine looks exactly like it.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #93 of 587 Old 03-22-2009, 10:26 PM

The speakers definitely are not going back. As for my Pioneer, it does really even get that warm even when pushing up near reference levels. Its thx select certified so I don't know if this has something to do with it or not but it can't hurt. My SVS PB10-NSD sub takes the load of the low end off the receiver which also helps. The clarity and dynamics aren't as good as separates but that will all be taken care of in good time. Nice setup by the way. I'll try to take some pics and post them up soon.

Is that the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition DVD I see on top in the pic? The greatest movie trilogy ever made IMHO.
post #94 of 587 Old 03-22-2009, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is that the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition DVD I see on top in the pic? The greatest movie trilogy ever made IMHO.

You've got a great eye! Lord of The Rings - Fellowship of The Ring - four DVD set. I have the other two also, in two disc sets.

And I agree with you. It was a masterful job on Peter Jackson's part bringing a great tale to the big screen. Three books and three movies. And well told in all.

I've only read Tolkiens' trilogy about 8 or 10 times! Along with The Hobbit, of course. I've never done that with any other books and I've read a lot of books. I still have a viewing or three to match the times I've read the books.

And lets not forget The Hobbit. That will be out in 2012 last I heard. It was scheduled for 2010 but IMDB has it moved up 2 years. Too bad Jackson isn't directing.

Glad to see you are enjoying your Emo speakers. I am too. Such quality is hard to convey in pictures, and the sound quality has to be heard to be believed. I nearly ended up with a different speaker, but I have no qualms about what I have, they sound superb.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #95 of 587 Old 03-23-2009, 07:10 PM

Sounds like your a LOTR geek like me. I've read the books every year for along time. I went through a spell where I was watching the movies like once a week. I would guess I've watched each movie about 50 times each!

The Hobbit is in good hands as Peter J., Philippa Boyens, and Fran Walsh that did the LOTR are the screenplay writers as well as the executive producers. Guillermo del Toro is directing and he has some good films such as Pans Labyrinth under his belt. If it takes waiting till 2012 to get a product as good as the LOTR adaptation, I don't mind waiting.
post #96 of 587 Old 03-24-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds like your a LOTR geek like me. I've read the books every year for along time. I went through a spell where I was watching the movies like once a week. I would guess I've watched each movie about 50 times each!

The Hobbit is in good hands as Peter J., Philippa Boyens, and Fran Walsh that did the LOTR are the screenplay writers as well as the executive producers. Guillermo del Toro is directing and he has some good films such as Pans Labyrinth under his belt. If it takes waiting till 2012 to get a product as good as the LOTR adaptation, I don't mind waiting.

I'm sure the movie is in good hands. But Jackson's hand personal hand on the LOTR was nothing short of fantastic. Perhaps he will be looking over the shoulder of del Toro as a guiding force.

I mind waiting. While I like the LOTR trilogy books The Hobbit is my favorite. Many who have read the trilogy pass the Hobbit off as a non-essential part of the story. I've always thought of it as the basis, the groundwork for the LOTR trilogy and think it should have been done before the LOTR.

They got the cart before the horse once again!

Just my ohtwocents worth anyways.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #97 of 587 Old 03-27-2009, 07:07 PM

I guess I don't mind waiting because the books have been around for so long without a fantastic movie adaption. I'll just go read the book again after I finish The Dark Tower series by Stephen King, another series that deserves a movie adaption worthy of the books.

On a side note about the original reason for this thread, Do you or have you noticed any difference in the sound of your speakers with the speaker grills on vs. off?
The highs seem to get smeared for lack of a better term and lose some extension with the grills on like they are getting some minor reflections off the grill frame. I would just use them without the grills but they just seem to disappear in the room with the grills on. Just kind of curious what you think.

Tim
post #98 of 587 Old 03-28-2009, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I don't mind waiting because the books have been around for so long without a fantastic movie adaption. I'll just go read the book again after I finish The Dark Tower series by Stephen King, another series that deserves a movie adaption worthy of the books.

On a side note about the original reason for this thread, Do you or have you noticed any difference in the sound of your speakers with the speaker grills on vs. off?
The highs seem to get smeared for lack of a better term and lose some extension with the grills on like they are getting some minor reflections off the grill frame. I would just use them without the grills but they just seem to disappear in the room with the grills on. Just kind of curious what you think.

Tim

I have tried with and without the grilles. I hear no difference but I haven't tried listening from different angles. My speakers are more or less pointed right at me.

King's Dark Tower series is a great read. I read those about 2-3 years ago, I think it took 3 weeks to get them read. I did 2 of them on tapes but thats slower than reading for me.

7 movies? I think most directors and producers would balk at that. It certainly would define careers, good or bad, for a lot of people. Maybe it could be pared down to 3 or 4 movies?

I think my favorite book of King's is The Stand. And TV did a decent job for a change in turning a book into a movie. It was first rate. Eh, but then there's The Green Mile. And Dolores Claiborne, and then there is..........well, you get the idea. There is a lot of King's books I haven't read, and probably won't. But every one I have read have been enjoyable.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #99 of 587 Old 03-31-2009, 08:51 PM

Liked: 11
Come on, all you Emotiva speaker owners, start writing reviews! I'm trying to decide between all 6.3s up front, or a pair of 8.3s with a 6.3 center. Anyone who owns either combo, let me know what you think!
post #100 of 587 Old 04-01-2009, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

Come on, all you Emotiva speaker owners, start writing reviews! I'm trying to decide between all 6.3s up front, or a pair of 8.3s with a 6.3 center. Anyone who owns either combo, let me know what you think!

Still on the fence eh?
And I've been enjoying my ERTs all this time. I think the answer is clear enough if you are down to these two combinations, for HT get the 6.3s, and for music, the ERTs.

I assume you've read my review on the Lounge? These things just get better as time goes on and they loosen up a bit more as they are played. Incredible mid range.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #101 of 587 Old 04-01-2009, 04:44 PM

Yes, I certainly did read your review, thanks! Problem is, people who are reviewing 8.3s don't seem to own the 6.3 center, and people with 6.3s for centers don't seem to own the 8.3s! I have heard from one guy who says the 8.3s and 6.3 center work well together, so that may be the way to go. While matched 6.3s across the front would seem ideal, I don't want to miss out on the midbass capability of the 8.3s.
post #102 of 587 Old 04-02-2009, 07:20 AM

I did it, I made a decision! I ordered the 8.3 towers and the 6.3 center, now the waiting begins. Along with my ERD-1 surrounds I'll have a full Emotiva system, powered by my XPA-5 amp. I'll report back on how everything sounds, this should be fun!
post #103 of 587 Old 04-02-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did it, I made a decision! I ordered the 8.3 towers and the 6.3 center, now the waiting begins. Along with my ERD-1 surrounds I'll have a full Emotiva system, powered by my XPA-5 amp. I'll report back on how everything sounds, this should be fun!

You should get them faster than I did. Maybe 2-3 days shipping? Mine took a week and a day. The one day extra was because FedEx thought it necessary for one speaker to take an extra long tour of somewhere. They didn't say where it went, only that it was a day late.

I'll be looking forward to your impressions and a review too, if you do that sort of thing.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #104 of 587 Old 04-02-2009, 03:25 PM

Oh yeah, I'll be doing a review! I've had the Rocket 850s and Bigfoot in my HT, and I've also had a full Swan setup: 5.1 towers, C3 center, and R3 dipole surrounds. I'll be doing some serious listening, and I'll report back on what I find out.
post #105 of 587 Old 04-02-2009, 04:06 PM

I wish I had the XPA5 instead of the LPA1. Not that the lpa1 is a slouch, but I just feel I could benefit more and I just want it.
post #106 of 587 Old 04-02-2009, 05:04 PM

I had the LPA-1 before I bought my XPA-5, both are great amps. The XPA-5 really cranks out the watts into 4 ohms, so it should rock with my new speakers!
post #107 of 587 Old 04-08-2009, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Yes, I certainly did read your review, thanks! Problem is, people who are reviewing 8.3s don't seem to own the 6.3 center, and people with 6.3s for centers don't seem to own the 8.3s! I have heard from one guy who says the 8.3s and 6.3 center work well together, so that may be the way to go. While matched 6.3s across the front would seem ideal, I don't want to miss out on the midbass capability of the 8.3s.

... or just get 3 8.3s across the front

EluneVision 106" Reference Studio 4K Tab-tensioned - 1.0 Gain, Benq 1070, psb T6, Rotel, OPPO, Velodine (Now),
135" AT screen, JVC-X35, 3x RF82, 3x Emotiva XPA100, Velodine, Rotel, OPPO (Sold with house).
post #108 of 587 Old 04-08-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

Still on the fence eh?
And I've been enjoying my ERTs all this time. I think the answer is clear enough if you are down to these two combinations, for HT get the 6.3s, and for music, the ERTs.

I assume you've read my review on the Lounge? These things just get better as time goes on and they loosen up a bit more as they are played. Incredible mid range.

...if you do get 3 6.3s for movies A+, for music It never sounded good to me with sub, I'm thinking of getting 3x 8.3s. I talked earlier with Emotiva and the only thing he pointed out that twiters are pointed for stereo and for center it might be an isue. Once I asked about 6.3s would have same isue?, he had to go talk to someone else.
The 8.3 might be little over kill for center, till you listen to life concert , and when I do play 2 chanell, I prefer not to use the sub.
Everything would be used behind AT 135" screen.

EluneVision 106" Reference Studio 4K Tab-tensioned - 1.0 Gain, Benq 1070, psb T6, Rotel, OPPO, Velodine (Now),
135" AT screen, JVC-X35, 3x RF82, 3x Emotiva XPA100, Velodine, Rotel, OPPO (Sold with house).
post #109 of 587 Old 04-08-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
yes, you have to be aware of how those twiters are pointed...
post #110 of 587 Old 04-08-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos View Post

yes, you have to be aware of how those twiters are pointed...

...not shure who I talked to but once he confirmed with the onwer (I believe), he said should be ok.
The 6.3s are recommended as L/C/R and you would have same isue with twitters , so I guess there shouldn't be an isue according to guys at Emotiva. Well you get 30days of trial...

post #111 of 587 Old 04-10-2009, 08:49 AM

I'm getting closer to get 3x 8.3, not 100% sure, but getting there. I have to sell my paradim studio 1st.,

post #112 of 587 Old 04-10-2009, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourtoys7 View Post

I'm getting closer to get 3x 8.3, not 100% sure, but getting there. I have to sell my paradim studio 1st.,

I believe the sale for those are going to end this sunday. Not sure about shipping you should call and find out.
post #113 of 587 Old 04-14-2009, 12:00 PM

Ordered a set of ERM1/ERD1 5.0's on Sunday . I wanted to get in under the wire for the sale. Some of the items are still on sale with free shipping, I would order before they update the site. I got a call from Jennifer on Monday advising me that the ERD's are on back order and won't be in until mid-May. They gave me the choice of waiting to get them all together or shipping out the 3 ERM's now and the ERD's when they come in. My ERM's will be here tommorow! Not a big deal, I'll get to compare the surround of my old Polks with the ERD's when they come in. I did appreciate the phone call and the customer service they provide.
post #114 of 587 Old 04-14-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

They are a great company to deal with. The ERDs are a great surround speaker. I have a pair along with the ERT 8.3s. The quality you get for the price you pay is absolutely amazing. Take the time to examine the speakers. I think you will be pleasantly surprised to see and feel the quality built into them.
I haven't heard the ERMs but those who have say they should be twice their size for the sound that eminates from them!

Since you are an Emo owner, why not come over to the Emotiva Lounge and have a cold one?

Well, you gotta buy your own but mostly we're a friendly bunch.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #115 of 587 Old 04-16-2009, 12:59 PM

I'm planning on getting a set of ERD-1 speakers but wanted to know if it's hard to adjust the levels to match up with my Energy C-100 since I do not have an auto setup. I was planning on just waiting until the UMC-1 came along but thought I should get on the pre-order since they will sell out.

Basically, I'm not sure if it's better to have auto room correction to adjust the levels or do it myself. I have an older Yamaha RX-V1300 if that helps any. I currently use bookshelf speakers for my rears in my family room, all Energy C-100.

I also use a UPA-7 to power the speakers and it sounds AWESOME now! BUT I want true surround speakers to replace the bookshelf C-100.

My opinion is just that, my opinion......
post #116 of 587 Old 04-16-2009, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem272 View Post

I'm planning on getting a set of ERD-1 speakers but wanted to know if it's hard to adjust the levels to match up with my Energy C-100 since I do not have an auto setup. I was planning on just waiting until the UMC-1 came along but thought I should get on the pre-order since they will sell out.

Basically, I'm not sure if it's better to have auto room correction to adjust the levels or do it myself. I have an older Yamaha RX-V1300 if that helps any. I currently use bookshelf speakers for my rears in my family room, all Energy C-100.

I also use a UPA-7 to power the speakers and it sounds AWESOME now! BUT I want true surround speakers to replace the bookshelf C-100.

a good ole SPL meter should do the trick
post #117 of 587 Old 04-16-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 View Post

a good ole SPL meter should do the trick

I thought about that, but wasn't sure if it would be a headache since the two types of speakers are so different.

My opinion is just that, my opinion......
post #118 of 587 Old 04-18-2009, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I purchased three ERM-1 speakers today to be used as LCR along with my set of RBH 815 in-ceiling speaker speakers (surrounds) and an Elemental Designs sub (A2-300). This is powered by an Onkyo 605 receiver and the Emotiva ERM-1's will be replacing a 9+ year old pair of Polk rt600i speakers and an older Polk center. The Polks have been decent speakers but after about 8 moves in 9+ years they are a little long in the tooth and the center has always been lacking for me.

I was originally planning on spending more for fronts, but with 2 small children and a number of expensive projects (finishing 3 bedrooms and a bathroom in my basement and landscaping a pretty big yard) I cut the budget down to $600. I refuse to carry any credit card debt so I was bound and determined to stick to my $600 budget for my left, right, and center speakers.

I was surprised at how many choices there were in this price range for front bookshelf speakers. I researched and considered eD 6T6 speakers, SVS SCS-01's, HSU HB1-MK II's, RBH MC-616's, b-stock Ascend 340's, and of course the Emotiva's. There were some tough choices to make. But decided against the rear ported speakers on the HSU and Ascends (the Ascends were also over budget) since these will ultimately be going in an false wall behind a 100" AT screen. My connection that I have used in the past for RBH speakers (I can usually get them at or below dealer cost) has been swamped with work and I did not want to bother him so that priced the RBH's out of my price range.

So it ultimately came down to the Emotiva and SVS speakers. I ended up with the Emotiva speakers due to the very positive reviews and the fact that the speakers offered more bang for my buck, and seemed more flexible with regards to being behind an AT screen.

My room is 15x18 and I sit approximately 11.5 ft away from the speakers. It is in a basement so there the ceilings are just 8ft and there is good quality carpet and insulated drywall on all walls. The only negative is that the media/family area is open to other rooms (no doors) as we wanted to give the room an open feel since it is a basement. I will be adding acoustical treatments down the road along with bass traps in each corner of the room. I feel that this will really improve the overall acoustics of the room.

I will report back when I have the speakers setup and configured. This area is used about 95% for HT use and little for music (except the occasional concert on Blu-Ray). I am hoping the Emotiva center will be a nice boost from my Polk center which has always been a little on the weak side and not as clear as I would like in terms of the clarity of dialogue. I have spent numerous hours trying to tweak the old Polk center and just could not achieve what I wanted.

Very excited to get the ERM's hooked up and cranking!
post #119 of 587 Old 04-20-2009, 10:50 PM

ack_bk, you will not be disappointed with your purchase. The ERM-1's are great speakers for the money and should easily out perform your old Polks. These speakers could easily be compared with speakers 3-5 times their cost and hang with or out perform them. I'm not that easily impressed and these speakers blew me away right out of the box. They even get better as they break in. Emotiva is also one of the best ID companies in business right now. Their customer service is second to none. Let us know what you think.

Tim
post #120 of 587 Old 04-20-2009, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

ack_bk, you will not be disappointed with your purchase. The ERM-1's are great speakers for the money and should easily out perform your old Polks. These speakers could easily be compared with speakers 3-5 times their cost and hang with or out perform them. I'm not that easily impressed and these speakers blew me away right out of the box. They even get better as they break in. Emotiva is also one of the best ID companies in business right now. Their customer service is second to none. Let us know what you think.

Tim

Sadly, I was up so late the other night and looking at so many other speakers that I missed the fact that the ERM-1's were rated 4ohm. I have an Onkyo 605 that is rated for 6-8 ohm speakers. I gave Emotiva a call and they stated that the ERM-1's were very stable at a continuous 4ohms, but that they felt I should stick with my receivers recommendations per the owners manual.

So I cancelled the order. Emotiva was great to work with and I will definitely be giving them some business down the road. I think the Onkyo 605 would have been okay driving these speakers (I rarely listen above 65-68 decibels), but I did not want to cause any undue wear and tear, heat problems, or more major issues.

After more research online and auditioning a number of speaker locally, I decided to go with the SVS SCS-01's for front right, left, and center.

I was a little sad to cancel the order on the ERM-1's but am excited for the SVS speakers as well.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Emotiva , Emotiva Audio Corporation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page