post #181 of 583 Old 07-11-2009, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by asystole13 View Post

I was looking into 3 of the 6.2 deal but my rear speakers are in-wall 8 ohm and I have a onkyo 705. Will this be an issue?

Probably not.
I'd put a fan over the receiver to pull off the hot air just to make sure it stays cool.

Onkyo has cut down about 4 pounds off the weight of their amps from the 705 to the newest model. While I don't know for sure where that weight was taken from the only logical place is in the transformers and heat sinks. That does not bode well for a company that already has a reputation for building some of the hottest running amps around.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 583 Old 07-11-2009, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am seriously considering building a 5.1 system from scratch with the Emotiva ERM-1's as the L C R. I plan to use them in a small empty bedroom along with a 47 LCD, Xbox360 and other video/sound equipment which measures roughly 11L X 12W X 8H. I understand that this setup will be overkill for this room but I don't want to buy another system for a very long time and I also like the idea of being able to move this into the larger living room at a later time. To drive them should I look at 4-OHM stable receivers only or would I be able to get away with some mid ranged priced receiver? Was also considering matching them to the Energy S10.3 sub from Vann's when and if they get them back in stock at the sale price. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
post #183 of 583 Old 07-11-2009, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmchea View Post

I am seriously considering building a 5.1 system from scratch with the Emotiva ERM-1's as the L C R. I plan to use them in a small empty bedroom along with a 47 LCD, Xbox360 and other video/sound equipment which measures roughly 11L X 12W X 8H. I understand that this setup will be overkill for this room but I don't want to buy another system for a very long time and I also like the idea of being able to move this into the larger living room at a later time. To drive them should I look at 4-OHM stable receivers only or would I be able to get away with some mid ranged priced receiver? Was also considering matching them to the Energy S10.3 sub from Vann's when and if they get them back in stock at the sale price. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

There aren't too many 4 ohm rated receivers but I wouldn't let that worry you. See my prior post with information on that very subject. Also if you are looking for a receiver the HK 254 can be had here - offering Harman $220 - free shipping will get you a refurbished 254. Thats one sweet deal.

If that Buy It Now is over wait a day - they'll do it tomorrow too. $220 is a great price on that receiver. I don't know of any other deals that come close right now.

Too bad I don't need an AVR.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #184 of 583 Old 08-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Hi, I have been looking for surround speakers and am really interested in ERD-1's. My only worry is the 4 ohm rating. I have a Pioneer Elite VSX03 receiver, rated 110 wpc (probably much less than that in real world). But from what I read, it should be OK since many seem to be saying one can use mid range receiver to drive 7.1 systems with all Emotiva speakersm. In my setup, all the front mains will be 8 ohm. Is my understanding correct?

A second question: Someone mentioned Emotiva has B-Stock items for sale. Where do I find them?

Thanks very much for any help.
post #185 of 583 Old 08-08-2009, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmbxkb View Post

Hi, I have been looking for surround speakers and am really interested in ERD-1's. My only worry is the 4 ohm rating. I have a Pioneer Elite VSX03 receiver, rated 110 wpc (probably much less than that in real world). But from what I read, it should be OK since many seem to be saying one can use mid range receiver to drive 7.1 systems with all Emotiva speakersm. In my setup, all the front mains will be 8 ohm. Is my understanding correct?

A second question: Someone mentioned Emotiva has B-Stock items for sale. Where do I find them?

Thanks very much for any help.

The ERDs can be driven easily with that AVR. I used my Onkyo 506 to drive 4 Emotiva speakers - a pair of ERTs and the ERDs with an AV123 RSC200 bigfoot center speaker while my preamp was on the fritz. The 506 is no powerhouse but had no problem driving those speakers for 3 weeks while waiting for the Onkyo SC885 to come back.

Emotiva does not advertize B stock - you'll need to call or email them to see if they have any.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #186 of 583 Old 08-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

post #187 of 583 Old 08-08-2009, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

The ERDs can be driven easily with that AVR. I used my Onkyo 506 to drive 4 Emotiva speakers - a pair of ERTs and the ERDs with an AV123 RSC200 bigfoot center speaker while my preamp was on the fritz. The 506 is no powerhouse but had no problem driving those speakers for 3 weeks while waiting for the Onkyo SC885 to come back.

Emotiva does not advertize B stock - you'll need to call or email them to see if they have any.

Just curious, for movies, what was the playback levet set to (i.e. how many dBs under reference)?

-T
post #188 of 583 Old 08-08-2009, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

Just curious, for movies, what was the playback levet set to (i.e. how many dBs under reference)?

-T

I don't remember where I set it to. I usually watch movies with the volume up fairly high. I don't even remember what the numbers on the volume looked like or where they started. And I never did run the Audyssey room correction - I just set the speaker levels manually. I didn't push the 506 - didn't baby it either. I was surprised that it never kicked into protect mode especially since it did with my old speakers connected up - Infinity IL40s - 8 ohm and 89db sensitivity. Although it did run a bit warm it wasn't overy warm running on hot. It seemed to run cooler than the HK 247 that I bought after selling the 506. The Onkyos are supposed to be the hot running ones but the HK runs hotter.

I've used the SC885 Audyssey program - great room correction program. With the volume set at or near -20 or -15 is where I will normally will watch a movie. Well below reference levels. I used the 506 at or near those same levels.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #189 of 583 Old 08-11-2009, 05:43 AM

Liked: 11
I've had my Emo ERM-1 speakers for a little over a month and I'm extremely happy with them. Anyone looking for a well built bookshelf size speaker with sound that far surpasses it's modest price tag look no further... the ERM-1 are the ticket to great sound without breaking the bank. Only one issue though... get them while you still can as they are being phased out. You can read my on going review of the speakers here:

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5689
post #190 of 583 Old 08-16-2009, 06:12 PM

Based on reviews and recommendations on from this forum and others I decided to give the Emotiva ERM-1's LCR and ERD-1's package a try in my home. I have to tell you, I am not disappointed at all. I love these speakers. I didn't think one could achieve such quality sound at such a low price. HT is excellent sound is very smooth & detailed. Thanks to those who wrote reviews and recommendations on these, if not for you people I would never have known about these. Emotiva was a pleasure to deal with excellent customer service, I would recommend them to anyone.
post #191 of 583 Old 08-16-2009, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Based on reviews and recommendations on from this forum and others I decided to give the Emotiva ERM-1's LCR and ERD-1's package a try in my home. I have to tell you, I am not disappointed at all. I love these speakers. I didn't think one could achieve such quality sound at such a low price. HT is excellent sound is very smooth & detailed. Thanks to those who wrote reviews and recommendations on these, if not for you people I would never have known about these. Emotiva was a pleasure to deal with excellent customer service, I would recommend them to anyone.

Thats great to hear. Not unexpected - but I like hearing it anyway. For $149 they are the deal of the decade.

What are you driving the ERM-1s with?

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #192 of 583 Old 08-19-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Interested here, but the 8.3's with a -2db dip @45hz (assuming it's downhill from there) and a 4 ohm impedance have me a bit timid. I have a decent-sized room and listen at relatively high levels at times. I know my "not cheap" Denon 3808 could not do a 7 channel, 4ohm set-up for any decent amount of time, so these may be out unless I nab external amplification.

Secondly, I have to say I expected a little more low-end from a $1600 pair of i-net only speaks (at least on the stat sheet).

Can anyone speak to the botom end of the 8.3's?

thanks,
James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #193 of 583 Old 08-23-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:

Thats great to hear. Not unexpected - but I like hearing it anyway. For $149 they are the deal of the decade.

What are you driving the ERM-1s with?

HK 254. What should be next, Amplifier or room treatments? Room 12 x 12.
post #194 of 583 Old 08-23-2009, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Interested here, but the 8.3's with a -2db dip @45hz (assuming it's downhill from there) and a 4 ohm impedance have me a bit timid. I have a decent-sized room and listen at relatively high levels at times. I know my "not cheap" Denon 3808 could not do a 7 channel, 4ohm set-up for any decent amount of time, so these may be out unless I nab external amplification.

Secondly, I have to say I expected a little more low-end from a $1600 pair of i-net only speaks (at least on the stat sheet).

Can anyone speak to the botom end of the 8.3's?

thanks,
James

The 8.3s roll off at 45hz but that is at 2db - the roll-off is soft. Many speakers are listed at the 3db roll off point. I have a pair and don't find them lacking in bass at all. I listen with and without a sub depending on the music and my mood. If you are a bass-head you might find the lacking - use a sub. I like the lack of any emphasis in any one spot in the frequency range. They play very flat.

Your Denon should be able to drive the 8.3s - but not at ear bleeding levels.

Quote:

HK 254. What should be next, Amplifier or room treatments? Room 12 x 12.

I suppose it all depends on what you are hearing. If you listen at high sound levels and hear clipping an amp might be in order. I have a HK 247 in my bedroom setup and listened to 3 ERM-1s for a couple of weeks with that setup. It never seemed to need more power in a very similar sized room - 13x14'.

I'd add a sub if you don't already have one. The ERM-1s don't have a lot of bottom to them.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #195 of 583 Old 09-09-2009, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

Hi redfive,

Sorry, that is incorrect, although an understandable confusion.

Emotiva is entirely its own entity. The electronics (amplifiers and pre-processors) were originally sold by AV123. AV123 & Emotiva later ended their relationship long before any Emotiva speakers were offered. Emotiva's speakers are designed by Vance Dickason, not any of the speaker designers who have worked with AV123, and have no ties to AV123.

You mean this Vance Dickason?

Loudspeaker Design Cookbook

I have this book. Interesting that he would be involved with Emotiva.

Bob
post #196 of 583 Old 09-09-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

You mean this Vance Dickason?

Loudspeaker Design Cookbook

I have this book. Interesting that he would be involved with Emotiva.

He's the one that designed the Emotiva speakers. Did a right fine job too.

Why wouldn't he be involved with designing speakers? Its what he does.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #197 of 583 Old 09-09-2009, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

He's the one that designed the Emotiva speakers. Did a right fine job too.

Why wouldn't he be involved with designing speakers? Its what he does.

lol +1, why do you find that interesting ctviggen?
post #198 of 583 Old 09-18-2009, 01:46 PM

Are they really FREE?

http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&c=17

Some says the glass is Half Full, and some say the glass is Half Empty. I say the glass is holding 50% of it's capacity. :)
post #199 of 583 Old 09-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Try adding to your cart, you have to select a length to get the price.
post #200 of 583 Old 09-18-2009, 01:55 PM

Thanks Kemac! I figured it already. But I am curious why the main page for ICs has all 0 listed there.

Some says the glass is Half Full, and some say the glass is Half Empty. I say the glass is holding 50% of it's capacity. :)
post #201 of 583 Old 09-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, I know what you mean, I got happy eyes myself! I assume it was easier for whomever added the web page. Typically you would see "varies" and not 0.00.
post #202 of 583 Old 09-18-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemac View Post

Yes, I know what you mean, I got happy eyes myself! I assume it was easier for whomever added the web page. Typically you would see "varies" and not 0.00.

Definitely! I agrees completely!

post #203 of 583 Old 10-02-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

BUMP!

Good news for anyone shopping for some great bookshelf speakers at an even greater price. Emotiva is selling the ERM-1s at their lowest price ever - just $129 each with shipping of $10 for CONUS.

I doubt there is currently a speaker on sale in the class of the ERM-1 for a better price unless it's stolen goods.

Come and get em!

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #204 of 583 Old 10-08-2009, 11:59 AM

ERM 6.2 and 6.3 owners, which speaker is more suited for music? I'm looking at replacing my aging 5.1 speaker system with either speaker package 2-5 or 3-5. I have an older model HSU VTF-2 sub that works well in my room so my thoughts were to go with the 2-5 system and keep the HSU or go with the 3-5 system and replace the HSU with a SVS PC12-NSD. I am using a Pioneer Elite SC05 receiver and my seating position is approx 10" from the front mains/center. Could the 6.3 be to much speaker in this situation?

Room is a modified L-shape right around 3000 ft3. Dimensions of the area where the theater is set up are approx 11' x 27" x 7' (long arm of the L) with the couch in the middle. Dense carpet, thick panel acoustical drop ceiling, and overstuffed couch. Romm is pretty dead.
post #205 of 583 Old 10-08-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:

BUMP!

Good news for anyone shopping for some great bookshelf speakers at an even greater price. Emotiva is selling the ERM-1s at their lowest price ever - just $129 each with shipping of $10 for CONUS.

I doubt there is currently a speaker on sale in the class of the ERM-1 for a better price unless it's stolen goods.

Come and get em!

Please note that the ERM-1's are now SOLD OUT
post #206 of 583 Old 10-08-2009, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorZ View Post

ERM 6.2 and 6.3 owners, which speaker is more suited for music? I'm looking at replacing my aging 5.1 speaker system with either speaker package 2-5 or 3-5. I have an older model HSU VTF-2 sub that works well in my room so my thoughts were to go with the 2-5 system and keep the HSU or go with the 3-5 system and replace the HSU with a SVS PC12-NSD. I am using a Pioneer Elite SC05 receiver and my seating position is approx 10" from the front mains/center. Could the 6.3 be to much speaker in this situation?

Room is a modified L-shape right around 3000 ft3. Dimensions of the area where the theater is set up are approx 11' x 27" x 7' (long arm of the L) with the couch in the middle. Dense carpet, thick panel acoustical drop ceiling, and overstuffed couch. Romm is pretty dead.

the 6.2 was a HUGE hit at Emofest. several people walked away with these after listening to them in the 2-channel room.
post #207 of 583 Old 10-08-2009, 01:50 PM

I read back a few posts that some of the folks preferred the 6.2s over the 6.3s for music. In my application it may make more sense to go with the smaller 6.2's. I would think that with the dual 6.5" drivers that they can produce some serious output levels. Also, since the SC05 doesn't at least double it's power output into a 4 Ohm load, it may not be the most ideal receiver to drive the larger 6.3s. Looks like the HSU may be up for sale after all.
post #208 of 583 Old 10-08-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorZ View Post

I read back a few posts that some of the folks preferred the 6.2s over the 6.3s for music. In my application it may make more sense to go with the smaller 6.2's. I would think that with the dual 6.5" drivers that they can produce some serious output levels. Also, since the SC05 doesn't at least double it's power output into a 4 Ohm load, it may not be the most ideal receiver to drive the larger 6.3s. Looks like the HSU may be up for sale after all.

i wouldn't sell the Hsu sub. They really do need a sub.
post #209 of 583 Old 10-08-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3xt View Post

Please note that the ERM-1's are now SOLD OUT

I hesitated. I feel like I missed out. I am sad.
post #210 of 583 Old 10-08-2009, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poonamibaxter View Post

I hesitated. I feel like I missed out. I am sad.

Go to the Emotiva Emporium every few days and you may see some for sale. Someone had 3 up for sale earlier today but seems to have deleted their post.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Emotiva , Emotiva Audio Corporation