Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 582 Old 05-07-2008, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Im the first

They just arrived, a cool $1100 for 5 speakers....still in boxes. Cant wait to test them over the weekend.

They are going up against Salk speaker, Klipsch, Ascend HTM200s and Rocket RS450s!!

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 582 Old 05-07-2008, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Did you buy five of each of the others too?

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #3 of 582 Old 05-07-2008, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I own the Rockets, I own the Klipsch and I ordered 3 ascends and 2 salks....

Total speaker demo project price tag is around 3K so far (HT room was 13K so I want to do it right)....returns will cost me another $100 or so, heck I screwed up my first DIY screen and that cost me an extra $80 so the $100 wont really matter.

I think Im keeping the Emotiva surround dipoles no matter what because I want dipoles.

its just too bad I have no one locally to really enjoy testing this stuff in my new HT room

post #4 of 582 Old 05-07-2008, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I have one ERM-1 sitting my my office desk now...its looking pretty sweet..I love how the grill sits off the face with just magnets....very nice.

The pic doesn't have the grill on it...

Pretty basic but clean look...I like it because I wont be looking at it in the HT room.

post #5 of 582 Old 05-07-2008, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I am assuming since your own the Rockets and Klipsch, they are not going anywhere, right?

You have decided to keep the Emotiva dipoles without hearing them? I would hope the ERM-1's match them the best.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #6 of 582 Old 05-07-2008, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Anything is for sale

I have lots of options...The rockets sadly dont really have a good home since they take up too much space I love them but they dont fit where I have them. My 17 month old likes to touch them meaning she almost knocks them over

Yeah, the ERM-1s should match the surrounds the best but Im have never found a problem with mismatched surrounds yet so I doubt I will here a big difference but I will be comparing them all. Honestly I was thinking about getting the Axiom QS4 for surrounds since all the reviews say they are some of the best.

post #7 of 582 Old 05-07-2008, 08:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 357
I heard this system at the Audioholics show last year. They sounded very nice. One of the nicest design features is that you can use the exact same speaker as a horizontal CC by turning it on it's side. The offset tweeter and close proximity woofers eliminate lobing, and, according to Lonnie, they have virtually identical polar response whether oriented vertically or horizontally. I'll be interested to see your impressions and comparisons to your other speakers.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #8 of 582 Old 05-07-2008, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks, they also have tweeter dB toggle and a BSC toggle, which is very important for my setup. My speakers must sit in right in the wall, flush with my screen.

Not all my speakers can do that though so some will sit out with proper clearnance just for comparisons.

They are small and I dont expect low end from them, I have a full custom Bass setup for everything under 120 Hz.

post #9 of 582 Old 05-15-2008, 10:53 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Thanks, they also have tweeter dB toggle and a BSC toggle, which is very important for my setup. My speakers must sit in right in the wall, flush with my screen.

Not all my speakers can do that though so some will sit out with proper clearnance just for comparisons.

They are small and I dont expect low end from them, I have a full custom Bass setup for everything under 120 Hz.

Hi Penngray,
Have you had a chance to listen to the ERM's yet? I'm in a similar situation where my speakers will have to be hidden in cabinets, so I'd be interested in your thoughts. Thanks.
post #10 of 582 Old 05-31-2008, 05:59 AM

Hey penngray........it's been almost two weeks. Have you had a chance to listen to the emotiva's yet?
post #11 of 582 Old 05-31-2008, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 142
^^^ LOL, perhaps he's lost track of time and reality.
post #12 of 582 Old 05-31-2008, 11:01 AM

Which Salk's are you comparing them to?
post #13 of 582 Old 06-03-2008, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hey penngray........it's been almost two weeks. Have you had a chance to listen to the emotiva's yet?

Sorry guys, two golf trips, one business trip and now a wife enforced "house arrest"

I did get the testing done between all the speakers, Its been a week though now and I havent had time to post results since I have been back trying to get my HTRoom done.

NOTE: I have found out that Im not a fussy audio guy, I dont pick apart speakers like others do on here and I have found that I love lots of different types of speakers but I do have my favorites.

Simple results

ERM-1s WIN!!!!

Salk HTS did very well, hard to say which was better but ERM-1s are 1/3 the price tag!!

Ascend HTM200s are just to damn small, they are simply satellite speakers.

RB81s....my good old rock-n-roll speakers dont fit the HTRoom.

I really enjoy the ERM-1s, I had some friends over, including my wife and we kept swapping the Salks and the ERMs (the only two I felt worry to continuously test). No one else knew the price tags at all, no one else even know anything about speakers so I thought it was good to have their ears.

The differences were sutle, its hard to describe those differences both had great detail and crisp highs in my opinion. I wanted to make sure my mids and highs were good because I have a bass system that handles the lows and the really low stuff, my crossover is at 120Hz.

The ERM-1s will work very well in a Cabinet, they have toggles on the back to switch tweeter dB, etc.

For their price tag I was impressed, I havent been this impressed since I bought my AV123 rockets (I have RS450s in the family room)

Im keeping the ERM-1s and what I think is some of the best dipole surrounds around period ERD-1s.

post #14 of 582 Old 06-03-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Golf before AVS? .... Heresy!
post #15 of 582 Old 06-03-2008, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

lol, it was Vegas!

post #16 of 582 Old 06-05-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Sorry guys, two golf trips, one business trip and now a wife enforced "house arrest"

I did get the testing done between all the speakers, Its been a week though now and I havent had time to post results since I have been back trying to get my HTRoom done.

NOTE: I have found out that Im not a fussy audio guy, I dont pick apart speakers like others do on here and I have found that I love lots of different types of speakers but I do have my favorites.

Simple results

ERM-1s WIN!!!!

Salk HTS did very well, hard to say which was better but ERM-1s are 1/3 the price tag!!

Ascend HTM200s are just to damn small, they are simply satellite speakers.

RB81s....my good old rock-n-roll speakers dont fit the HTRoom.

I really enjoy the ERM-1s, I had some friends over, including my wife and we kept swapping the Salks and the ERMs (the only two I felt worry to continuously test). No one else knew the price tags at all, no one else even know anything about speakers so I thought it was good to have their ears.

The differences were sutle, its hard to describe those differences both had great detail and crisp highs in my opinion. I wanted to make sure my mids and highs were good because I have a bass system that handles the lows and the really low stuff, my crossover is at 120Hz.

The ERM-1s will work very well in a Cabinet, they have toggles on the back to switch tweeter dB, etc.

For their price tag I was impressed, I havent been this impressed since I bought my AV123 rockets (I have RS450s in the family room)

Im keeping the ERM-1s and what I think is some of the best dipole surrounds around period ERD-1s.

Hi Penngray,
Thanks for doing the test and posting your thoughts. What were the final toggle switch settings on the ERMs that you used for your room? Also, just out of curiousity, how did the ERMs compare with the RB81s, even though the RB81s were too big for your room? And did you also compare them to the Rockets by any chance?
post #17 of 582 Old 06-15-2008, 01:59 PM

I can't wait to get my set!
post #18 of 582 Old 06-16-2008, 11:42 AM

Perhaps I missed it, but are these babies sealed or ported? I'm guessing sealed due to the tuning options and steep roll off @80, but could someone confirm? Also, any info on rumored product launches like towers and a "subwoofer system" to pass on? While I was never a huge fan of their electronics, I really like where they're going with their speakers. Their design goals seem to be very well thought out from a practical, real-world POV.
post #19 of 582 Old 06-16-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelcodan View Post

Perhaps I missed it, but are these babies sealed or ported? I'm guessing sealed due to the tuning options and steep roll off @80, but could someone confirm? Also, any info on rumored product launches like towers and a "subwoofer system" to pass on? While I was never a huge fan of their electronics, I really like where they're going with their speakers. Their design goals seem to be very well thought out from a practical, real-world POV.

They are sealed. You can check out their site for more info:
http://www.emotiva.com/

You may also want to look at their speaker forum which has a lot of the information you're looking for:
http://emotivalounge.proboards54.com...board=speakers
post #20 of 582 Old 06-18-2008, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm considering the ERD-1's, two as side surrounds and two as rear surrounds.

I'm thinking the two side surrounds would be set as dipole and the two rear surrounds would be set as bipole. What do you guys think? Has anyone tried this? The nice thing about these speakers is that you can experiment with the flick of a switch or two.

Also, can these speakers be easily painted white? I.e. is the surface paintable.
post #21 of 582 Old 06-18-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixion View Post

I'm considering the ERD-1's, two as side surrounds and two as rear surrounds.

I'm thinking the two side surrounds would be set as dipole and the two rear surrounds would be set as bipole. What do you guys think? Has anyone tried this? The nice thing about these speakers is that you can experiment with the flick of a switch or two.

Also, can these speakers be easily painted white? I.e. is the surface paintable.

Read this for your ERD dipole/bipole question:
http://emotivalounge.proboards54.com...ad=1463&page=1
post #22 of 582 Old 06-24-2008, 09:03 PM

No new posts here. Has anyone else purchased these speakers? Can you please share your opinion?
post #23 of 582 Old 06-26-2008, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey Guys,

Today, I ordered the 3 ERM-1's as the L/C/R and the ERD-1's as the surround. I also got the LPA-1 5 channel amp to mate with my Pioneer Elite TX-45. The July special was too good for me to pass up. I was planning on trying to assemble a Salk SongTower system piece by piece, but realized, realistically, it just wasn't in my budget. Considering my current speakers are a mix and match from HTiB sets and older JBL's, I figure this will be a vast improvement. The user reviews have been somewhat sparse, but seeing as though this is an off-shoot of AV123, I was pretty confident of the quality of this system.

XBL : SAVIOUR KING
post #24 of 582 Old 06-27-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfive View Post

Hey Guys,

Today, I ordered the 3 ERM-1's as the L/C/R and the ERD-1's as the surround. I also got the LPA-1 5 channel amp to mate with my Pioneer Elite TX-45. The July special was too good for me to pass up. I was planning on trying to assemble a Salk SongTower system piece by piece, but realized, realistically, it just wasn't in my budget. Considering my current speakers are a mix and match from HTiB sets and older JBL's, I figure this will be a vast improvement. The user reviews have been somewhat sparse, but seeing as though this is an off-shoot of AV123, I was pretty confident of the quality of this system.

Please let us know how they sound!! I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion.
post #25 of 582 Old 06-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Did you listen to any 2 channel music, or just HT duty?
post #26 of 582 Old 06-30-2008, 08:07 AM

I'm probably about a 80% HT/ 20% Music type guy. I think if I had a really great set of mains I would probably listen to alot more 2-channel though . It just came down to economics really. I could get a nice set of speakers and a 7 channel amp for 1400$ now, or wait, literally, years while I piece together a "better" system. It just didn't make sense to me. The Salk Songtower system would have run me 3600 (approx) plus shipping, and I would need better amplification at some point too. I should get the Emotiva system on Tuesay 7/1. I do have to go out, and get some RCA's for the interconnects in the next 2 days though.

We'll see how they sound. For me, My tastes tend to run towards a non-fatiguing, laid back sound. Dynaudio type. Harsh, bright, or fatiguing and they will go back ....

post #27 of 582 Old 06-30-2008, 10:27 AM

I just discovered emotiva a few months ago. I am waiting for their new processors to come out so I can upgrade. Gonna be a tough sell to the wife though. She is fine with our entry level onkyo...

Let me know what you think about those speakers. I want to upgrade those too!
post #28 of 582 Old 06-30-2008, 01:06 PM

wookie,

I've been on the fence buying an HT system for a LONG time. Several years. Always was bad timing or no money. I went a few years ago to an AV123 "event" here in Dallas where I actually got to meet Mark from AV123, and listened to their products. I was very impresssed with both. Sooo .... Somebody PLEASE correct me if I am wrong (very possible), but I believe that Emotiva was an offshoot company, or closely involved with AV123 along the way. In any case, I feel very confident about my purchase so far. I'll let everybody know my impressions when I get them.

post #29 of 582 Old 06-30-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:

wookie,

I've been on the fence buying an HT system for a LONG time. Several years. Always was bad timing or no money. I went a few years ago to an AV123 "event" here in Dallas where I actually got to meet Mark from AV123, and listened to their products. I was very impresssed with both. Sooo .... Somebody PLEASE correct me if I am wrong (very possible), but I believe that Emotiva was an offshoot company, or closely involved with AV123 along the way. In any case, I feel very confident about my purchase so far. I'll let everybody know my impressions when I get them.

Looking forward to your review.
post #30 of 582 Old 06-30-2008, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:

wookie,

Hi redfive,

Sorry, that is incorrect, although an understandable confusion.

Emotiva is entirely its own entity. The electronics (amplifiers and pre-processors) were originally sold by AV123. AV123 & Emotiva later ended their relationship long before any Emotiva speakers were offered. Emotiva's speakers are designed by Vance Dickason, not any of the speaker designers who have worked with AV123, and have no ties to AV123.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
Reply Speakers

Tags
Emotiva , Emotiva Audio Corporation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page