Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-11-2008, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Acoustic Zen Adagio
acousticzen.com/adagio.html

I found what appears to be a good deal on these from a guy who claims to order them direct from Acoustic Zen. Is there any way to prove if a speaker is not "b stock", refurbed, open box, or anything like that? He's selling them new for less than some people are selling them used. Seems almost too good to be true. Any opinions from people that have bought these?

AV123 Strata Mini
**********/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=34&category_id=18&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37

Both the minis and the Adagios get great online reviews. My setup is going to be a ps3 for most of my stuff (cd, sacd, blue ray, dvd) to an onkyo 805 with pre outs going to either my Musical Fidelity A5 or Onix SP8 (will going through the 805 to the integrated amp affect the sound at all...I mean the 805 is preamping/processing the signal before it gets to integrated amp's preamp, correct? Would it basically be the same going from the source directly to the integrated amp?) to power the speakers. Listening will be 50/50 movies/music in a 23x13x12 with two large doorways. The speakers will be have to be pretty close to the wall behind them--the minis have a powered rear sub on the bottom, which would be probably not much more than a foot from the wall. Will this be a major problem? The sub is adjustable in volume. The adagios are front ported. Would they be better suited for this placement becuase of the port position?

Also, what is the general consensus for not having your speakers matching your furniture? My listening room furniture is all pretty much a dark walnut sort of color which has me leaning toward the dark walnut Adagios, which would pretty much match perfectly.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-12-2008, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I assume you haven't heard either of the two candidates? If not, you should not listen to a bunch of forum monkeys like us to make your decision. Your ears are the only thing that should help you pull the trigger. I recommend scoring an audition of the speakers before you make a purchase. Otherwise, buy both and return whichever you don't like...though you probably can't do that with the Adagio's.

If you are going to use a Musical Fidelity A5 integrated, just use the Home Theater bypass. This way you'll be able to listen to 2-channel using only the MF A5 and speakers, bypassing the receiver all together. This will not effect the sound quality at all. In fact, for 2-channel the A5 should destroy the 805 performance wise. I too have an 805 and will hopefully be picking up a MF A5.5 integrated and using it in the same manner I described to you above.

As for matching furniture; that's subjective. Many people do it, but others like contrast so they order a different veneer on their speakers. It's up to you.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #3 of 6 Old 05-12-2008, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Agree with Nuance about the advice bit ... but will still offer up a thought or two.

For the money the Mini Stratas are extremely hard to beat. I know you mentioned the possible drastic savings on the Adagios but that route doesn't sound altogether Kosher. And you would need that drastic of a savings to come close to the $ value of the Mini Stratas.

The only caveat against the Minis is the placement issue. If you can move them out to breathe then all is good.

Check the AV123 forums for a local audition in your area. Owners are quite fanatical and appreciative of the products offered and are willing to help out when they can.

Have all that you want ... just want what you have.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-12-2008, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

I assume you haven't heard either of the two candidates? If not, you should not listen to a bunch of forum monkeys like us to make your decision. Your ears are the only thing that should help you pull the trigger. I recommend scoring an audition of the speakers before you make a purchase. Otherwise, buy both and return whichever you don't like...though you probably can't do that with the Adagio's.

If you are going to use a Musical Fidelity A5 integrated, just use the Home Theater bypass. This way you'll be able to listen to 2-channel using only the MF A5 and speakers, bypassing the receiver all together. This will not effect the sound quality at all. In fact, for 2-channel the A5 should destroy the 805 performance wise. I too have an 805 and will hopefully be picking up a MF A5.5 integrated and using it in the same manner I described to you above.

As for matching furniture; that's subjective. Many people do it, but others like contrast so they order a different veneer on their speakers. It's up to you.

N,

Do you know what kind of bitrates the A5.5 can pass through USB? IE will it pass 24/96 FLAC files or just regular cd 16/44.1?

thanks alot,
also how do you like it?

jim
post #5 of 6 Old 05-12-2008, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
You're right Nuance, I haven't heard either of these speakers and it's likely that I won't have a chance to, as I live in the middle of nowhere right now. No dealers within less than six hours. Only chance of hearing them is from another owner--guess I'll give that a shot over at the av123 forums. Also, I've been reading your "search for perfect speaker" and "search for amp" threads for quite a few months and was seriously considering the Song Towers, but decided I wanted something that would go just a bit lower. I've taken a lot of my setup ideas from what you guys have been discussing, since you're kind of going for the same type of setup (2 chan with ht integrated) I'm still confused on the A5 setup with the ht bypass though. I have to run hdmi through the receiver first because almost all of my source sound will be coming from the hdmi of the ps3. The A5 doesn't have hdmi input, so I can't take the 805 completely out of the loop for my dedicated 2 channel setup. I will have to use the pre outs on the 805 to connect up to the A5 correct? I was thinking that the ht bypass meant that the pre outs from the 805 would bypass the preamp section of the A5, in effect making the 805 the preamp? Is this how it works? If I'm wrong can you break it down for me?

ClarkeBar, you're right, the minis are definitely a great value, both sonically and aesthetically. It's almost like the minis are too good to be true at that price. I mean it has the goodies of a speaker double that price or more. And althought the look great in the pics and probably much better in person, the minis don't match either my furniture (dark walnut veneer) or my existing speakers (inifity beta series, 4 beta 50 towers, c360 center, 2 beta 20's in black ash), but I'm thinking that could be a good thing cause they will stand out...i don't know, sigh If I were single, I wouldn't care, but I have the spousal acceptance factor to think about. I may be changing the room setup to allow more room from the wall for the speakers. Does the front port on the Adagios make for better close-to-wall placement? Or does it not matter and it also needs to be just as far away as rear ported?

I'm trying to find some info through Zen Acoustics on the seller of the Adagios to make sure it's legit. If it is legit by their word then that will make this decision hard. I read a very informative q&a session with a mag reviewer and Robert Lee (Zen Acoustics owner), and Mr. Lee objectively broke down the speaker performance and design to a level that I rarely find anywhere else. The design of these speakers seems to make a lot of sense.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-12-2008, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I bought my medium Walnut Wharfedale Emerald 97s back in '02. Since then every other wood in my AV has gone to Cherry. I kinda like the contrast but if I could reverse things I would have preferred the 97s in Cherry if they'd been available at the time.

If the Walnut is too dark perhaps you can have too much of a good thing.

Have all that you want ... just want what you have.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page