Is Cobalt Cable out of business? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 05-13-2008, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is Cobalt Cable out of business?
Their web site does not accept a transaction and their phone has been disconnected?
I'm not trying to spread rumors.
Does anyone know if they are still around. I like their products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-13-2008, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
you mean a company that sells products a HUGE markup is going out of business...say it isnt so

Component video cables starting at $89.95
Audio Interconnects starting at $69.95
HDMI cables starting at $59.95

Yikes, what a scam!!! They should be put out of business for preying on customers making people believe they have to spend 10x the $$$ for the same performance.

gotta love quotes like and we all know Monster cable is way overpriced to start with...what does that make cobalt?

"It's hard to believe but I used to think monster cables were "state of the art". Thanks for waking me up to Cobalt Cable. I am literally amazed at the detail and the overall improvement in sound in my Monitor Audio Silver 9s since I switched to your Ultimate Speaker Cables (I am trying to avoid the nebulous, trite verbiage so often used to describe sound). Your Ultimate Subwoofer Cable...superb. It is also refreshing to have a single choice instead of ten." JS from Chesterton, IN

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #3 of 21 Old 05-13-2008, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for ranting.
I am looking for information, not your opinion on a company that you probably never used.
post #4 of 21 Old 05-13-2008, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

you mean a company that sells products a HUGE markup is going out of business...say it isnt so

Component video cables starting at $89.95
Audio Interconnects starting at $69.95
HDMI cables starting at $59.95

Yikes, what a scam!!! They should be put out of business for preying on customers making people believe they have to spend 10x the $$$ for the same performance.

gotta love quotes like and we all know Monster cable is way overpriced to start with...what does that make cobalt?

"It's hard to believe but I used to think monster cables were "state of the art". Thanks for waking me up to Cobalt Cable. I am literally amazed at the detail and the overall improvement in sound in my Monitor Audio Silver 9s since I switched to your Ultimate Speaker Cables (I am trying to avoid the nebulous, trite verbiage so often used to describe sound). Your Ultimate Subwoofer Cable...superb. It is also refreshing to have a single choice instead of ten." JS from Chesterton, IN

Did he ask for your bloviating?

He simply asked whether or not they were out of business.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #5 of 21 Old 05-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, it seems they are. It's an old story already.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=989900

Adz
post #6 of 21 Old 05-13-2008, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thank you for ranting.
I am looking for information, not your opinion on a company that you probably never used.

Quote:

Did he ask for your bloviating?

He simply asked whether or not they were out of business.

Nope, he never ask for my Bloviating but Im a good mood today (I had to look that up, very nice! )

I hope they went under because they are and were a complete scam and everyone should know that products like those are way overpriced and simply are placebo to some people. This is a science forum first isnt it?

Never used them? Heck, I have a decent amount of science in my background so Im not dumb enough to use products like those of course YMMV

post #7 of 21 Old 05-13-2008, 08:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nope, he never ask for my Bloviating but Im a good mood today (I had to look that up, very nice! )

I hope they went under because they are and were a complete scam and everyone should know that products like those are way overpriced and simply are placebo to some people. This is a science forum first isnt it?

Never used them? Heck, I have a decent amount of science in my background so Im not dumb enough to use products like those of course YMMV

translation = "I am a gasbag."

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #8 of 21 Old 05-13-2008, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

translation = "I am a gasbag."

I wonder if he has to look that one up
post #9 of 21 Old 05-13-2008, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Anything priced above blue jeans cables is a scam in my book.
post #10 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 04:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 414
They'll probably come back with another name from the periodic table. Maybe Unobtanium Cables.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #11 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

They'll probably come back with another name from the periodic table. Maybe Unobtanium Cables.

Maybe the OP has found another extremely overpriced, hyped, snake-oil company to buy products from? Heck this company makes Monster look like the dollar store

post #12 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Maybe the OP has found another extremely overpriced, hyped, snake-oil company to buy products from? Heck this company makes Monster look like the dollar store

Wow you just won't give up on this one will you? The term "Avs Special Member" has very relevant meaning for you. You're very "special".

I think you said the exact same thing in all of your posts in this thread, but I doubt you even realize that. You hate companies that sell expensive cables. We get it. Now go crawl into your "expensive cable hating" hole and have fun in that hole because right now you're the only one in this thread in there.

EDIT: I didn't think about this originally, but maybe the reason you're so pissed off is because you bought some of these really expensive cables thinking they were the next big thing, but got burned when you heard the recent clothes hanger article? Don't feel bad. Many people have gone down that road, but letting people make those mistakes on their own is how people learn. If you can save them with one post then that's awesome. If you have to post 3-4 times in a thread so they "get it" well. That's really not anyone's responsibility here. You tried.
post #13 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know why, but cables seem to be a very sensitive subject for some people.
It seems to make them very angry for some reason.
post #14 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcomdial View Post

I don't know why, but cables seem to be a very sensitive subject for some people.
It seems to make them very angry for some reason.

I understand the motivation. I mean if you could teach someone that is going to spend $20,000 on a pair of cables that the same $20 cable will give them exactly the same thing, then you just saved someone $19,980!! I mean yeah you won a $20k victory that day, and that's something to feel good about, but I don't understand the anger. The expensive speaker cable company is only preying on people if they truly believe their cables aren't worth all the extra cash. If they truly believe they're better, then they're not really preying on people now are they? Besides no one forces anyone to buy their products.
post #15 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

As a dealer, I can buy just about any cable I want for my own personal use. I have several of their cables scattered across several systems that I paid what everyone else pays for them. That ought to speak for something. I did buy them during their sale periods, though.

I have the upmost respect for Cobalt and quite frankly hate to see they are out of business. Their build quality was excellent, they were dressed much better than so many others out there. I've recommended them many times to my customers, even sacrificing a sale because a customer was not wanting to spend a lot of $$$ on cables.

As for "snake-oil", yeah there is some of that out there. But, you got a quality cable in a very pretty package with Cobalt. I like pretty, so I don't mind spending more. Not a fan of Home Depot lamp cord. I don't care if it sounds fine, I still won't use it. Call me stupid, I don't care.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #16 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony View Post

As for "snake-oil", yeah there is some of that out there. But, you got a quality cable in a very pretty package with Cobalt. I like pretty, so I don't mind spending more. Not a fan of Home Depot lamp cord. I don't care if it sounds fine, I still won't use it. Call me stupid, I don't care.

Couldn't agree more. I'm fine with paying for decent-looking, durable cables (Signal Cables, Zebra Cables etc.) although I harbor no illusions at all about them making my gear sound better. Sure I could learn to make something quite similar myself, but frankly have neither the time nor inclination to do so. And why quibble about an extra $70 for a highly-visible piece of a system you may well have spent a hundred times that much on in total?
post #17 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony View Post

As a dealer, I can buy just about any cable I want for my own personal use. I have several of their cables scattered across several systems that I paid what everyone else pays for them. That ought to speak for something. I did buy them during their sale periods, though.

I have the upmost respect for Cobalt and quite frankly hate to see they are out of business. Their build quality was excellent, they were dressed much better than so many others out there. I've recommended them many times to my customers, even sacrificing a sale because a customer was not wanting to spend a lot of $$$ on cables.

When you recommended Cobalt cables to customers, did you inform them that
that your recommendation was base purely on Cobalt's 'build quality', 'dressage' and 'pretty' factor, rather than whether they sounded any better than much cheaper cables?
post #18 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK View Post

Anything priced above blue jeans cables is a scam in my book.

Honestly, if you really want to get down to it, BJ cables are overpriced cabling. That said, I do use them myself for my multichannel analog interconnects.

Didn't fall for some BJC hype though, did you? No, not YOU. Why are they the "bar"?

post #19 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Honestly, if you really want to get down to it, BJ cables are overpriced cabling.

I also use BJC for my interconnects, but when you find the cost of materials to make the cables, you realize they are making a nice profit, just not as much as others. I am not sure I would call them "overpriced" though.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #20 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Honestly, if you really want to get down to it, BJ cables are overpriced cabling. That said, I do use them myself for my multichannel analog interconnects.

Didn't fall for some BJC hype though, did you? No, not YOU. Why are they the "bar"?

Agreed. they seem to be the gold standard of value cables on many forums, but I still find them to be more $$ than I care to spend in most applications. Any well built cable will work as well as any other. I have a couple sets of Z-series Monster that I picked up when I worked for a dealer, but even at dealer cost, they were a poor investment. They are mostly for show.
post #21 of 21 Old 05-14-2008, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

I am not sure I would call them "overpriced" though.

Well.................... I said "if you really want to get down to it". As you say, you know how much the parts cost and how much you can get very reasonable quality cables for elsewhere, too. And as you point out, they are making a nice profit. Which is perfectly fine as far as I am concerned. But this is the crux of the whole issue people have with what they consider to be overpriced cables. Get over it, I say. We're not communists.

There are much more serious concerns to devote one's energy to here on this planet than saving suckers from cable companies.

(this post is not directed at you, btw, cschang)

Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page