Best Outdoor speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 62 Old 05-15-2008, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Building a deck and patio cover and looking for some good speakers. Should I go with the Boston Acoustics voyager 7s? They are on sale at crutchfield and seem to be a good buy. I know Bose gets no respect here, but what about their outdoor speakers? Any other recommendations?

Also, the house was wired from the previous owner, and it looks like they have in ceiling speakers front and rear, with the outside speakers wired off of the in ceiling speakers, not on their own. They have a volume control knob outside, but does that mean I would have to have the speakers inside the house on if I want the outdoor ones on? I just ordered a Yamaha 663 so I will test to see if this is the case when it arrives. If so, would it be wise to run the outdoors on their own?

Thanks for you help

bruin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 05-16-2008, 06:50 AM

I was just getting on here to ask the same basic question when I saw you're post. I have no preconceived "brand" issues, would like to hear from those that have actually tried different outdoor speakers in an outdoor environment - not in the store. Not expecting magic because off the 'setting', but would like some suggestions in the $300-500/pair range.
post #3 of 62 Old 05-16-2008, 07:04 AM

Liked: 11
With the inherent sonic limitations of having speakers outdoors there seems little sense in paying too much for a pair. If you need to fill an entire acre with sound you'll want speakers with high power handling, but more speakers would be a better solution. On my patio I use a pair of Dual outdoor speakers, $59 on sale at C.C. They sound great!
post #4 of 62 Old 05-16-2008, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
While Bose does get a bad rap, I've installed Bose 402s on 18' poles in an equestrian facility for their music and paging. While the first 'weatherproof' drivers failed after 2 years due to warpage, the (warranty) replacement Kevlar drivers have been flawless for the last 6 years. They're not very efficient (no Bose product is), but with gobs of power behind them, they are great.

Mind you, 402s probably are too big for home use, the 151 use similar Kevlar drivers and will last and last.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #5 of 62 Old 05-18-2008, 03:27 PM

Check out Niles OS series as well. I have some of the OS-20 (older model) on my screen porch and they sound excellent. Been in use for about four years now and they still sound as good as new.
post #6 of 62 Old 05-18-2008, 04:12 PM

I have always loved and highly reccomended the Klipsch AW-400 speakers. They have an awesoem sound to them and for $189 a pair they are very cost feasible. They are great for a patio or small to mid sized back yard. If you need more oomph check out the AW-525 speakers, but to my ear you are paying more for the extra volume than you are for extra sound quality. I like either pair much more than the Bose 151s mentioned earlier.

You should be able to demo them at any Best Buy with a Magnolia room in it.

-Jonathan
post #7 of 62 Old 05-21-2008, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help.....After auditioning both the Bose 251's and Boston Voyager 7's, it's not even close. The Boston's are great. Love the bass response, even though I know that I won't get it outdoors, but we listen to hip-hop music and this will be great especially that they are on sale for only $50 more than the bose.

Now onto another dilema.....I think the prewire at the house for the outdoor speakers has them run off of the front and rear right in ceiling speakers. I have no access to be able to re-run them. I am not planning on running the front in ceilings, so could I just run both the outdoors in series to the front right speaker wire and use just one channel on zone 2 to power these so I can have them running without the indoors running? Since they are 8 ohms, in series would put them at a 4 ohm load and I can set my Yamaha 663 to a 4 ohm load....

Thanks
post #8 of 62 Old 05-21-2008, 11:04 AM

I installed the Voyager 7s under my eaves over our deck last year and think they're great. Make sure you see 'em in person if possible, as I bought them online without having heard them, and they were larger than I expected (even having looked at the dimensions)!

-dan
post #9 of 62 Old 04-28-2009, 03:49 PM

OK, that time of year again. Can anyone provie some updates/feedback on their speakers since last year's thread?

I am looking at Klipsch or Definitive. Any feedback available on these two?

Boston would be another I would consider.

Thanks

Steve
post #10 of 62 Old 05-28-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMedic2000 View Post

OK, that time of year again. Can anyone provie some updates/feedback on their speakers since last year's thread?

Thanks

Steve

So my local BB has the Klipshe AW-400 for $50, as a clearance sale item. Normally $249 but $200 off. I'm thinking they would be nice to have for outdoors music when I have parties outside.
post #11 of 62 Old 05-29-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMedic2000 View Post

Thanks

Steve

Have a pair of Def Tech AW6500 on thier way. Will report back
post #12 of 62 Old 05-29-2009, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i can +1 for Klipsch outdoor speakers. my mom just got a pair for her patio. they now have great sound out there and (like most Klipsch speakers) they are pretty darn efficient. i couldnt see their receiver being more than 100W a channel, and they get all the sound they need when relaxing/entertaining

2.0 > 7.1
post #13 of 62 Old 05-29-2009, 08:23 AM

so the aw400 speakers are a great deal at $50?
post #14 of 62 Old 05-29-2009, 11:58 AM

I would think that those Klipsch are a steal at $50.... It is outside.. It's not like you are trying to recreate the nuances of Carnegie Hall..

Go for it.
post #15 of 62 Old 05-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

I Currently use Klipsch outdoors but when i upgrade i want to try these. Proficient audio A830 Ultra Three way
at *******************.com

Proficient Audio
Their home website is here
http://www.proficientaudio.com/main.html
Have never heard them, BUT the specs look GREAT . 10 Year Warranty 8 inch Woofer!!
I would love to try them myself when finances allow.
P.S. It would not let me copy the link to the website is 'outdoor speaker depot' dot com
original price 575.00 per pair on sale for 349.00
post #16 of 62 Old 07-13-2009, 11:03 AM

To revive an older thread, some family members are looking for some outdoor speakers for their beach home in Florida. Given all the wind and salty humidity that comes with being right on the Gulf of Mexico, durability is going to be a major factor in what they choose. Any thoughts on specific brands to consider?

We're looking for something mid-range, most likely something from Boston, Klipsch, Energy, Mirage, Definitive, Paradigm, Monitor, etc. The ideal speaker would be small and unobtrusive, but efficient (they will likely be driven by a relatively low-wattage multi-room system from Niles or Russound) and above all durable. We're not looking to blast away the neighbors, just to be able to listen to music and not have to replace the speakers for quite a few years.

I've had pretty good experiences with Boston outdoor speakers in the past but haven't bought a pair for over a decade. Are quality standards still high? Anything else considered better durability-wise?
post #17 of 62 Old 07-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I second the Proficient Audio/ Speakercraft offerings. Impressive performance with a great warranty!
post #18 of 62 Old 07-15-2009, 02:02 PM

I am having trouble finding any meaninful posts on this subject. I see a lot of people promoting (in an anecdotal fashion) the products that THEY own. I don't see any brand 'a' vs brand 'b' information in ANY of the outdoor speaker threads.

We have established the fact that the outdoor speaker depot sells knock offs of any product they can copy. We have established that AMAudioDude (and one or two others) swears by TIC. I don't care if every commercial property has TIC speakers, that does nto equate in any way to sound quality... thousands of commercial proeprties use BOSE systems as well. People that own $59 specials from kMart like them as well.

I can purchase (at wholesale) Boston Voyager 6 outdoor units for the same price as the TC ASP120 series speakers. Moreover, most of the brands listed above can be had at retail for less than $300 a pair.

So there are still two basic questions.
1) in a reasonable price range, what brand sounds the best for MUSIC (not background fill) on the patio
2) in a reasonable price range, what brand is the most weatherproof (to be mounted IN the elements, not under cover).

The TIC offerings boast a much lower cuttoff than the Voyagers, but is it realistic? What about real world weather resistance?

Does anybody have experience with more than a single brand? Any vendors wish to offer an unbiased opinion? I certainly think the Boston Voyager series are decent (as I have installed them), but I have no experience with anything else other than BOSE. The Boston stuff blows the BOSE away.
post #19 of 62 Old 07-15-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanAnimal View Post

I am having trouble finding any meaninful posts on this subject. I see a lot of people promoting (in an anecdotal fashion) the products that THEY own.

That's how all speaker threads go.

Paul Scarpelli
aka TRIAD DUDE

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

post #20 of 62 Old 07-15-2009, 03:47 PM

In this case it is driving me insane. The price is not the issue, I jsut don't want to have to audition 2-3 sets of speakers and return the losers. I know the quality is subjective and very dependent on the installation environment...

It would appear that very few of the contributors to these threads actually know much about speakers, and even less so than those who contribute to the full size speaker threads.

Ohh well... off to roll the dice and order something.
post #21 of 62 Old 07-15-2009, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In this case it is driving me insane. The price is not the issue, I jsut don't want to have to audition 2-3 sets of speakers and return the losers. I know the quality is subjective and very dependent on the installation environment...

It would appear that very few of the contributors to these threads actually know much about speakers, and even less so than those who contribute to the full size speaker threads.

Ohh well... off to roll the dice and order something.

Polk Atrium 55's here, they work for me in 3 outdoor zones. Don't know what more to say. Buy from an outfit you can return, here is one... http://www.htd.com/outdoor-speaker 5 year warranty on speakers and 30 day return. I own several thousands of dollars in their whole house gear, and very happy.

Mike
post #22 of 62 Old 07-15-2009, 04:32 PM

Thanks localnet. I am not a big Polk fan, but I will add those to the list of speakers that I am going to look at.
post #23 of 62 Old 07-15-2009, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks localnet. I am not a big Polk fan, but I will add those to the list of speakers that I am going to look at.

Your welcome

Mike
post #24 of 62 Old 07-16-2009, 08:50 AM

Liked: 53
For outside areas which being so open have very little bass reinforcement and I prefer the outside speakers with a bigger woofer 8" or greater. The bigger woofer speakers tend to give a fuller sound although you may trade off some accuracy. You can use a 6.5" woofer if seating is close. Of the brands we have installed I like:

Lower priced - Proficient/ Speakercraft
Higher Priced - Tannoy

We have also used: Polk, Atlantic Technology, Niles, Russound and probably some others.

I haven't tried Klipsch but they do make an 8" model.

Bob
post #25 of 62 Old 07-17-2009, 01:20 PM

I just bought a pair of Energy Tempest II's on super sale. I have heard great things about Energy Speakers and the deal was a very good price. Any one have any thoughts on these? I will post what I think when I get them.
post #26 of 62 Old 07-18-2009, 11:35 PM

Liked: 14
I did a lot of research on this a little while ago as I was remodeling and while the walls were open I wanted to run wire for external speakers. The best ones that I came up with, bought and love are the Definitive Technology AW6500's. I use an NAD integrated to power them. While no match for my Krell/Dynaudio system, they are great speakers with great sound for an external speaker.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...tech-aw-series

HT: ATI 1505, ATI 1502, Denon AVP-A1HDCI, Oppo 105, Dynaudio Focus 220 MkII, Focus 200C, Audience 42, SVS PB13-Ultra, Definitive Technology DI 8R, Sharp LC-90LE745U 2-Channel:Krell 400xi, Krell SACD Standard, Logitech Transporter, Dynaudio Focus 360 Outside: NAD 325BEE, Definitive Technology AW6500
post #27 of 62 Old 07-19-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
So there are still two basic questions.
1) in a reasonable price range, what brand sounds the best for MUSIC (not background fill) on the patio
2) in a reasonable price range, what brand is the most weatherproof (to be mounted IN the elements, not under cover).

I've owned 2 pair of Rockustics Tunestone outdoor speakers for 12 years. They are not inexpensive (though they were among the least expensive in their line) but they can definitely be cranked way beyond just background fill and you'd swear you were in your living room. I've never heard anyone's outdoor speakers sound as good as these.
They've been sitting in planters, with sun, rain, and sprinklers hitting them (which is stupid, by the way) and they're running strong. One speaker that had direct sprinkler water hitting it for years did corrode the driver and the company restored it to new under a lifetime limited warranty. I just had to pay for shipping.
post #28 of 62 Old 07-19-2009, 05:51 AM

I have B&W LM1 series speakers with a Velodyne 10/12 sub on my covered Lanai. They sound great with the sub and sound great without. I bought a pair of 3 way TIC rock speakers and they suck! I would never purchase a pair of those again. They lasted about 3 weeks and the woofers blew. I am alos looking to replace the rock speakers with another pair or maybe 2 pairs of outdoor speakers. IMO the Boston Voyagers are the better speaker between Klipsch and Bose. Better overall sound and Bass response is good as well.
post #29 of 62 Old 07-19-2009, 07:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

AP850 MasterPro Reference Pair 8" Patio Speakers

Here is a little mini review I did in 12/2008 - link

Link
Description
All-Weather Versatility
Rigid, Acoustically Inert Enclosure,
TeflonĀ®-sealed internal cabinetry & driver
8" polypropylene woofer
2" supernil soft dome tweeter
Power handling: 200W
Frequency Response 22Hz - 20kHz
Sensitivity 90db
Impedance 8 ohm 70V switchable
70V tap: 40W, 30W, 25W, 20W
Finishes: White and Black
Includes full swing multi-mount brackets
Gold-plated 5-way binding posts
Powder coated aluminum grille
Unit Dimension: (H x W x D): 15Ā¾" x 11" x 10"
Unit Weight: 16 lbs x 2 = 32 lbs pack
5Yr Warranty (Products sold before July 2006 are 2-Yr Warranty)

Comments

- Customer Service:
They emailed later that it was backordered and offered to give me an upgrade (not sure if/why it was an upgrade, but...) at $50 off.
So it was good to see how they responded to an adverse situation.
I ended up staying with the same product because I could wait.

- Packaging:
Double boxed. Tight fitting.
Directions weren't great, but it was pretty obvious what to do.

- Exterior Quality:
The speakers had a cheap plasticy feel and didn't feel like a good "thud" when knuckles wrapped on them, but not bad.
The speaker terminals are not sheilded from the weather, so I wouldn't use these in a non-covered location (like I'm thinking about for my house/porch in WI).

- Installation:
Easy. Took off the brackets, screwed into studs, then added speakers. My install location was above normal height so that was the only precarious thing.
It was installed in a metal shed/garage -- large enough for a boat, cars, multiple tractors, etc.

- Sound:
The setup was not installed optimally (on purpose) for stereo imaging, but the sound was much better than before (a very old dilapidated mono speaker). Also, this was a metal shed, not a HT install.
Good lows and highs.
Mids a little thin (not unexpected).

- Overall:
Good speakers.
Caveat about lack of speaker terminal coverage.

A compilation of some options:
(not all inclusive)
- Acoustic Research
- Atlantic Technology
- Axiom - eg Axiom Algonquin - link
- Boston - eg Boston Voyager 7
- Definitive Technology - eg, Def tech AW6500
- James Loudspeaker
- JBL - eg JBL S36AWII
- Klipsch - eg Klipsch AW-400
- Niles
- Polk Audio - eg Polk Audio Atrium 60 All Weather Speakers
- Proficient Audio - eg, Proficient audio A830 Ultra
- Russound
- Speakercraft
- Tannoy

Outdoor subwoofer thread (at TCA): link

Here is a link to a thread I started at Seaton Sound in February: Link
Here is my new link at AVS (in my HT thread) looking for AVS speakers: Link
and at Home Theater Spot: Link

Good luck,

Mike
post #30 of 62 Old 07-19-2009, 05:29 PM

Was the issue with the TIC rocks just the failure or were there sound quality issues as well?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page