Small home theater speakers ---- Definitive or Klipsch - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-20-2008, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
sunscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I looking to upgrade the speakers for my home theater. Mainly because mine are old and my wife wants them smaller. I have looked at the Def tec Pro Cinema 800 (I would upgrade the sub to the larger one). I did not look at the Klipsch much at the specialty stereo store, because the salesman said the Def tec was the way to go and the Klipsch did not compare with their similar system.

My dad said he liked the Klipsch set he saw at best buy. They do not come with a sub, but I do already have a good JBL sub. The klipsch at best buy are the Quintet SL and the Quintet III - $800 and $500 respectively.

I am looking to get the best sound and the best value. Is it worth it to spend the extra 500-700 more for the Def tec with a new sub, or go with the klipsch and use my current sub?
sunscape is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 05-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Member
 
jacksong314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is the size of your room? Will you use the system mostly for movies or music?
jacksong314 is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 05-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Member
 
NewAudioBie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What subwoofer do you already have?
NewAudioBie is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 05-21-2008, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
sunscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the room is a large room, but i still need small speakers. The system is mostly used for home theater. Only ocasional music.

The Sub is a JBL PB12
sunscape is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 05-21-2008, 06:48 AM
 
PULLIAMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 8,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Def Tech makes excellent speakers, and to me they would be well worth the extra $. I do not like the Klipsch sound at all.
PULLIAMM is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 05-24-2008, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
sunscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
are there any other opinions on this issue?
sunscape is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 05-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Senior Member
 
hagar852's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Being interested in the best sound and best value you can try an internet direct company such as

av123
Aperion(owner of these)
Ascend
HSU

and many others.. For the price of the definitive tech you can get a set from one of these companies. I personally haven't heard the def tech speakers so unfortunately I can't compare..

But it may be worth some time checking out these companies..
hagar852 is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 05-24-2008, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Raymond Leggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
remember small speakers suck if they don't have really decent drivers and even then so they still kind of suck. IMO.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
Raymond Leggs is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 05-24-2008, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
remodeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Topeka KS
Posts: 1,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
God Raymond would you get off that retarded drivel you keep spouting about small speakers.
Comparing the two brands mentioned, they both have a particular sound you have to decide yourself which you like best. I'm as much of a fan as Pulliam is not a fan of Klipsch. Neither of us is wrong we just like different things. They both make a quality product that is built to last for a while. If you like the Klipsch sound they are a better value. If you don't then the cheaper price means squat. Definitely go give them a listen.
remodeler is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 05-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mr. Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Lets see. I don't like Def Tech and am not too fond of Klipsch either. IMO Klipsch doesn't make a decent sounding speaker until you get to the RF-82s. I hate Def Tech because of the cheap resonating sound of the midrange. However I hate the crappy midrange and cheap sounding highs in Klipsch models under the RF-82s. If I were buying speakers again, these two companies wouldn't even be on the bottom of my list. I say if you wanna shop at Best Buy, get the Insignia speakers all around. They sound great and are really cheap. That's the best value for your dollar there.

Your system can shine no matter what it's made of.......except if it's Bose.
Mr. Audio is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 05-25-2008, 03:04 AM
Senior Member
 
bandphan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

remember small speakers suck if they don't have really decent drivers and even then so they still kind of suck. IMO.

look at the ascends cbm170, and upgrade the sub so for around 1500-1600 w sub, you would have a nice little setup

“Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.”
bandphan is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 05-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Member
 
Sickofthehype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Hamshire
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

Def Tech makes excellent speakers, and to me they would be well worth the extra $. I do not like the Klipsch sound at all.

That is YOUR opinion and you are entitled to it but I think "excellent" is too strong an adjective for Def Tech. They should be called Deaf Tech.

Thanks,

Ron
Sickofthehype is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 05-25-2008, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Raymond Leggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickofthehype View Post

That is YOUR opinion and you are entitled to it but I think "excellent" is too strong an adjective for Def Tech. They should be called Deaf Tech.

LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remodeler View Post

God Raymond would you get off that retarded drivel you keep spouting about small speakers.
Comparing the two brands mentioned, they both have a particular sound you have to decide yourself which you like best. I'm as much of a fan as Pulliam is not a fan of Klipsch. Neither of us is wrong we just like different things. They both make a quality product that is built to last for a while. If you like the Klipsch sound they are a better value. If you don't then the cheaper price means squat. Definitely go give them a listen.

Although I do like the "klipsch" sound, and I will go as fat to say they don't sound too much different than most "Decent" speakers to say the last I do think the high's and mids are clearer than most speakers though but I really can't see where all the Harsh Complaints are coming from.

And as for my thing with small speakers, its subwoofer to speaker integration that worries me especially if the speakers are clearly a lot faster than the subwoofer that tries to augment them.

And as for PULLIAMM He's just an ass who can't stand the fact that people like stuff he doesn't like and any mention of whats wronwg with his set up gets him upset. I think the setup he has is the problem with all his speakers and can fairly positvely explain as to why he has to keep changing speakers.

And I think the reason why klipsch doesnt sound good on his setup is because he is using a bright Amplification source look at his profile and you'll see what I mean.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
Raymond Leggs is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 05-25-2008, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Plex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: North Huntingdon, Pa 15642
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickofthehype View Post

That is YOUR opinion and you are entitled to it but I think "excellent" is too strong an adjective for Def Tech. They should be called Deaf Tech.

you are a FUNNY man, you should take that act on the road... Now, since you made that comment please give us your recommendation This guy is looking for help not side comments between each other.

Have you looked at Mirage speakers they are small and compact and give a very nice room filling effect. I like defTech's but i also respect the other brands out there. Remember, its' your ears you have to please and live with, I think you should try out your top two choices, take a set home and see what you think. Speakers heard in a store most times sound very different at home and it does make a differance which AVR you are using, Yamaha, Pioneer and Onkyo...do sound different for the same set of speakers.

If you shop at BB or CC you do get a 30 day retun, USE IT, if your first choice just didn't sound good at home they will understand. I just wouldn't try to review more than two sets of speakers. So weed out your options in the store. If you want to go with a brand that if only online, measure they have a return option (all money back less shipping) Crutchfield has free shipping and retun on their speakers and stuff.

Which ever speaker systen you choose, i'd use your JLB for now (you will notice a drop to 8" sub) and save that extra cash to upgrade to a better sub down the road, HSU, eD, SVS, Super-Cube and may others all in the $350-$700 range.

Audyssey setup guide
Plex is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 05-25-2008, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
sunscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I heard the quintet III today at best buy and to me they did not sound very good once the volume is up. I could not hear the SL it was not connected. I was also looking on line and dependableaudiovideo.com seemed to have great prices on the Def tech. If i could talk my wife into it i could get the pro cinema 1000 plus for less than i was quoted the 800 locally. Do any of you have good or bad experince with them?
sunscape is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 05-25-2008, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Plex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: North Huntingdon, Pa 15642
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunscape View Post

I heard the quintet III today at best buy and to me they did not sound very good once the volume is up. I could not hear the SL it was not connected. I was also looking on line and dependableaudiovideo.com seemed to have great prices on the Def tech. If i could talk my wife into it i could get the pro cinema 1000 plus for less than i was quoted the 800 locally. Do any of you have good or bad experince with them?

WOW, that's a leap from the 800's , I have the PM 1000's and the PC2000 center that is part of the Plus package. If you can pull that off, YES by all means get the 1000 plus set you will be very happy for along time. Let your wife know that if you get these, that you will not be talking about speakers anymore (it will help)

You should go to this thread, it focuses on the DT 600/800/1000 speakers. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0%2C800%2C1000, There are a lot of users that will give you first hand accounts of the PM1000's in action.

Audyssey setup guide
Plex is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 05-27-2008, 07:20 AM
 
PULLIAMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 8,516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

And as for PULLIAMM He's just an ass who can't stand the fact that people like stuff he doesn't like and any mention of whats wronwg with his set up gets him upset. I think the setup he has is the problem with all his speakers and can fairly positvely explain as to why he has to keep changing speakers.

And I think the reason why klipsch doesnt sound good on his setup is because he is using a bright Amplification source look at his profile and you'll see what I mean.

The feeling is mutual.
Cambridge Audio equipment does not sound "bright", so you are wrong as always.
Klipsch speakers are inherently bright, quite apart from the amplification.
As for changing speakers, I have only done that in my stereo. I have never changed the Def Techs in my HT, and never will since they sound fantastic.
PULLIAMM is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 05-27-2008, 07:42 AM
Member
 
TnTMischief's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunscape View Post

I looking to upgrade the speakers for my home theater. Mainly because mine are old and my wife wants them smaller. I have looked at the Def tec Pro Cinema 800 (I would upgrade the sub to the larger one). I did not look at the Klipsch much at the specialty stereo store, because the salesman said the Def tec was the way to go and the Klipsch did not compare with their similar system.

My dad said he liked the Klipsch set he saw at best buy. They do not come with a sub, but I do already have a good JBL sub. The klipsch at best buy are the Quintet SL and the Quintet III - $800 and $500 respectively.

I am looking to get the best sound and the best value. Is it worth it to spend the extra 500-700 more for the Def tec with a new sub, or go with the klipsch and use my current sub?


I just listened to Klipsch, Energy, Focal, B&W, and Paradigm last few weeks all in the $1500 dollar range. I really liked the sound of the paradigms and will be ordering mine today. They have a cinema line you should check out if you get a chance. Like many of the others have said though go take a listen and choose what sounds best to your ears.
TnTMischief is offline  
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off