Focal speakers? $1600 budget - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-31-2008, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I do not know much about surround sound or home theater equipment, but I have a nice 61" samsung tv and would like to set up a receiver and surround sound. I do not want to spend anymore than about $1600. The room I am putting it in is 12x18 and I sit about 15 feet from the tv. I have room for tower speakers next to the tv and bookshelf speakers behind my couch mounted on the wall.

I went to Sound Advice, and they strongly recommended the Yamaha RXV663 receiver for $456. They also recommended the Focal 5 speaker and subwoofer setup (5 sats w/ black sub) for $899. The model number they gave me is SIBSYSB, but I am having trouble finding anything about them on these forums. Do you know if this would be a good setup?

Also, they are trying to sell me 250ft of wiring for $200. Sounds like a ripoff I figured I could get that online for cheaper. What do you guys think I should do?

I thing I was thinking is if I could find surround speakers and a receiver for $1500, than I can just get a subwoofer later on whenever I had the money for it. At the moment I do not want to go over my budget, would rather stay under it. Do you think what Sound Advice has recommended to me is a good deal? Or are there better speakers/receivers I can find for less. I have a ps3 (HDMI), 400 disc DVD changer (HDMI, can change to component if necessary), cable box (component), nintendo wii (composite), and than the speakers would probably be HDMI I would guess. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-31-2008, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

This is what I posted last time, and I got some great responses but I realized I didn't mention I can not go over my budget.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post13561567

I thought I had more money to work with but it turns out I only want to spend about $1600 MAX with taxes, wiring, receiver, speakers, everything included. The only thing that is not NECESSARY is a subwoofer. There's some pictures of the room I am putting the home theater setup in this thread. Please help, I can't afford Salk Sound Towers unfortunately!
post #3 of 10 Old 05-31-2008, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
As for speaker wire, here is what you can get from Parts Express...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=100-025

This is 12 Ga for $57.5 for 100 ft.

If you want to save $$ on a Receiver you could consider a Refurb Denon from Dakmart. For example this AVR-2308 for $476.98 (MSRP $849)

http://www.dakmart.com/itemdetails/31838/173/

I've never purchased anything from Dakmart but knew someone who did once and they were very happy with it.

I don't know how to help you much for speaker recommendations as I am a hard core DIY guy so all I would be able to say is to build your own. You could look at kits on the Parts Express or Madisound Web sites. Parts Express also has some really nice subwoofer kits. I'm still searching for commercial speaker products I can recommend to people like yourself but thus far have never found anything I feel comfortable recommending over DIY.

Monte
post #4 of 10 Old 06-02-2008, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone else have any tips/suggestions please?
post #5 of 10 Old 06-02-2008, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
For speakers found in B&M stores:

Paradigm
Monitor Audio
Klipsch
Polk Audio
B&W

For Internet Direct:

axiomaudio.com
ascendacoustics.com
theaudioinsider.com

All of those companies offer speakers within your budget.

As for receivers, check out the new Onkyo's and Yamaha's. Happy hunting.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #6 of 10 Old 06-02-2008, 07:55 AM

If you're on a budget, I strongly recommend a middle-of-the-range Yamaha reciever and the ever popular Paradigm Atom speakers (~$600 for center channel and four Atom monitors.) I really like these, both for music and HT. I can't help much for subwoofers, though from the numbers, Hsu looks like a very good option.

Another option for small rooms is the Behringer 2030P studio monitor. It has remarkably flat frequency response from 50hz to 16khz, and low distortion. And at $130/pair, they're very inexpensive. Guitar Center may have these out as demo models, though you may need to bring your own amplifier to power them, as they no longer carry studio amplifiers.

However, if you like the "Focal Sound", you cannot do better than the old KRK studio monitors. I'm not a big fan of the "Focal Sound", but I love my KRKs.

I am a big fan of Yamaha gear. It generally sounds quite good for the price, has a variety of useful inputs and features (just don't use the digital effects!), and most importantly, never ever breaks, including an ancient receiver I bought at a garage sale - and it's half again older than I am!
post #7 of 10 Old 06-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

This receiver for $300 is a killer deal.
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V661...2422359&sr=1-5

Go to Monoprice.com for speaker wire, heck even Best Buy has speaker wire for less than the above mentioned wire.

For the 5.0 at about $1100, lots of choices here;
Paradigm Monitor 7's,Paradigm Atom Monitors and Paradigm CC-190 from a Local Shop

Polk RTi A5's, Polk FXi A4's and Polk RTi A4 from Amazon

Elemental Designs A6-6T6 Towers, A6-5TC's and A6-6T6 MTM and A2-300 Sub (can actually afford the 5.1 with these) from elementaldesigns.com
Just a few choices, many more out there.

"Hey, don't forget smoking lamp...oh I'm sorry, was that expensive piece?"
post #8 of 10 Old 06-02-2008, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

I went to see which receiver you found and the link did not work.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-02-2008, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I think this is just going in my sig

Chris' educational tip for the day.

As a former lead/temp supe at Amazon.com I learned many magical tricks.

One of which is that you need NOTHING past the ASIN or Amazon.com Standard Identification Number in a link.

Basically where the link is throwing up the ****'s is the point where you are trying to insert session specific info.

For instance, this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Boo...2422359&sr=1-5

Should actually be condensed to:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V661.../dp/B000OOQUTC

Or even:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OOQUTC

http://www.amazon.com is...well..obviously the web site.

/dp would be whatever directory heading they're using now. It was previously obidos followed by garupa, I'm not really sure how many revisions to their page serving directories there have been since I left.

/B000OOQUTC is the ASIN/product # in their system. For books it'll usually be the umm....ISBN.

Now everyone should be able to use Amazon.com links as long as they read this post I guess.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #10 of 10 Old 06-02-2008, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For the receiver you should really go with Onkyo maybe the 605. Cheap but so damn good...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page